Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Thoughts on Scenario Design...Interested?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Some Thoughts on Scenario Design...Interested? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Thoughts on Scenario Design...Interested? - 3/30/2001 8:38:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Having just come through the experience of checking, revising and reviewing over 115 scenarios by over a dozen different designers, I've learned a few things and I have a few suggestions. Is anyone interested? Before I take the time to post these, I want to be sure that there are designers out there and they are interested in a few tidbits from someone who has had a little experience in that area. With the 30+ scenarios I've done for Mega Campaign, that brings my total to just under 1100 of them in the last six years in all SP games, including nearly 25 campaigns. So maybe my pain can be your blessing. If enough respond to this post, I'll begin doing just that. Standing by... Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 3/30/2001 8:41:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Wild Bill: Please pass them on. Thanks!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 3/30/2001 8:47:00 AM   
Yogi Yohan

Enlighten us, Oh revered one! :D

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 3/30/2001 9:07:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Having just come through the experience of checking, revising and reviewing over 115 scenarios by over a dozen different designers, I've learned a few things and I have a few suggestions. Is anyone interested? Before I take the time to post these, I want to be sure that there are designers out there and they are interested in a few tidbits from someone who has had a little experience in that area. With the 30+ scenarios I've done for Mega Campaign, that brings my total to just under 1100 of them in the last six years in all SP games, including nearly 25 campaigns. So maybe my pain can be your blessing. If enough respond to this post, I'll begin doing just that. Standing by... Wild Bill
Ready to learn...

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 3/30/2001 10:06:00 AM   
Banjo

WB, I'd love to see them. We had emailed each other a few times back in the fall about a few ideas I had for training scenarios. Unforunately for me, I was still learning the system, and life got in the way of that project for me. I havn't played SPWAW in 2001 yet, but my 20 dollars went out as soon as I saw 5.0 was available. Life is settling down a bit now, and am ready to dig into 5.0 as soon as I get it. I still have those ideas in my head, but want to wait to see the goodies on the disc before I start on them. I also have had a few other ideas for campaigns since my Squad Leader days. I think they would work quite well with some form of SPWAW, although I think it would need more than the SPWAW engine can handle at this moment. It would probobly take a few years to get it up to speed. If your interested in hearing them, i'd love to get another opinion of them. High fives and thanks to the folks at Matrix. I'm glad I can help supprt you guys now.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 3/30/2001 10:21:00 AM   
MrWhite

Postem, must learn.. :)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 3/30/2001 10:22:00 AM   
Figmo

Yes - Absolutely!! You've probably forgotten more about scenario design than I'll ever know!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 3/30/2001 10:47:00 AM   
Flashfyre

"Master, when will I be one with the designers?" "When you can count the blades of grass in the meadow, grasshopper." "Which meadow?" ----------------------------------------------- To learn at the feet of the Master, one must enjoy the smell of sweaty toes. Teach us, Master.......

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 3/30/2001 10:50:00 AM   
Alexandra

I too would like to see your wisdom Herr Oberst. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 3/30/2001 10:56:00 AM   
bchapman

Wild Bill, Count me in. Bascom

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 3/30/2001 11:57:00 AM   
Fabio Prado

By all means, please do so, WB! I am looking forward to it! I have learned everything I know about scenario designing from you, and am always wanting to learn more. A great idea! I'm definitely in. Fab

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 3/30/2001 12:10:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Well, well! Quite an enthusiastic crowd. I'm glad to hear from all of you. Here is how we will do it. Next Monday we'll start a series of postings right here. We'll call it "The Art of War." I will begin from the beginnning, rudimentary steps in scenario building. We'll take our time, do it right and assign little things for you to work on. If you have a question on that subject, post it as a reply to the lesson and we'll let other folks answer too. Let's see how it goes. This should be fun. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 3/30/2001 12:32:00 PM   
Tankhead

All right Wild Bill looking forward to it :D. You could right a book, your know how is tremendous and all them little tricks you know. This is going to be fun. :) Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 3/30/2001 12:58:00 PM   
RockinHarry

Ready to learn from the grandmaster! _____________ RockinHarry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 3/30/2001 6:45:00 PM   
Don Doom

Am at your disposul Master of surprises, and willing to learn whatever tibits you throw our way. :D ;)

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 3/30/2001 9:33:00 PM   
Alexandra

[ I will begin from the beginnning, rudimentary steps in scenario building. We'll take our time, do it right and assign little things for you to work on. Am I reading this right? Is this gonna be like a class, where you'll teach us to build a scen from the ground up? If so, way cool! Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 3/31/2001 12:18:00 AM   
Fabs

Any information on how to design scenarios better would be wellcome.

Fabs

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 3/31/2001 1:20:00 AM   
Coachace

Looking forward to class...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 3/31/2001 2:57:00 AM   
Banjo

I hope that these projects will go toward another mega campaign. What better way of generating scenarios than through the troops helping in the creation process. The size and scope could become enormous. Lets not limit it to just scenario design. How to design a campaign... could be thrown in as well. Just a thought.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 3/31/2001 4:26:00 AM   
adantas

Mein Oberst!, the Regiment is waiting your words!! :D -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 3/31/2001 6:49:00 AM   
Schreck

Have you ever considered creating the Wild Bill collection of Steel Panthers Scenarios & Campaigns. I'd buy it!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 3/31/2001 7:43:00 AM   
ruxius

UAU Bill !! A master on-line in WBW scenario designing ? Oh I am a proud volunteer in associating to this new exciting project and I hope I will be 'graduated' in your tutorials !! So that your impressive experience will live forever in your cadets ! Tuning on this forum on next monday !!

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 3/31/2001 7:59:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I think it will be a great experience for all of you who participate. If my limited knowledge can be of a help to all of you, it is my pleasure. Schreck, a collection of Scenarios, campaigns and historical writings is something I have longed to do for the last four years. So I know I can sell one :D . The pile keeps growing. I'll soon be able to fill up a CD by myself ;). We'll see what can be done about that, my friend. A look inside the process cannot help but at least give more understanding of the game and how it works in later play. Glad to have all your warriors enrolled. I'll be here! WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 3/31/2001 8:53:00 AM   
BruceAZ

What an excellent idea! Bring it on Wild Bill. Learning first hand from the master will be real fun! Had you not helped me early on and offered words of encoragement, I never would have completed "Guadalcanal 1942." Bruce Semper Fi

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 4/2/2001 10:30:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Cass starts tomorrow. Get ready...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 4/2/2001 12:36:00 PM   
skukko

I'm here at monday morning standing ready for study. It is cold april and sun makes glitters to frozen mudpits. Here ain't nobody :( I'm alone, so I must be in wrong school yard, there where nice guys roam...I'll have to get to right place...hmm..where did I put that map? ..damn this is wrong mapfolder :mad: I have again mixed up those!! So question is: Where I am?? :D mosh :D waiting...

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 4/2/2001 6:05:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Is anyone interested? Before I take the time to post these, I want to be sure that there are designers out there and they are interested in a few tidbits from someone who has had a little experience in that area. Wild Bill
Interested? Are you kidding! When do we start? Tomorrow? I'll be there. Regards, Christophe

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 4/3/2001 6:22:00 PM   
mgallear

Hi Wild Bill You have got my attention - when are you going to tell use how to improve our designs. Mark Gallear (Thanks for getting me membership of this exclusive club) :)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Some Thoughts on Scenario Design...Interested? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI