Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/1/2014 8:01:13 PM   
marion61

Turn 85

This is the entire front in France as of this turn. The Russian front hasn't moved, except in Hungary, much the past few months. Only change I've seen is that the Russian's took Riga finally.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 12/1/2014 9:02:52 PM >

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 91
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/1/2014 8:03:55 PM   
marion61

Turn 85 South

Como was taken which trapped several more axis divisions on the wrong side of the river. Milan was taken without a shot being fired and I have some new airbases finally. 5th Army and 1st FF Army blow thru the defenders and relieve 1st British Armored division. If this weather holds I'm pushing to cut off those units still south of the Po River. 6th AG units will push towards the rail lines at Mantova, while the 8th Army pushed towards Carpi. That would be two armies surrounded and Italy would be finished.

Turn 84 was pretty static as it was heavy rains.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 12/1/2014 9:13:21 PM >

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 92
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/1/2014 8:38:51 PM   
marion61

Turn 86 France

I've taken some of my Naval TF's to assist along the coast. I've also taken 9th Army's armor units NE again as several units from British 2nd Army push all the way to Wilhelmshaven cutting off all those units to the west. 1st Canadian and 2nd British Armies blew thru their defenders leaving a huge gap in the axis defense between Wilhelmshaven and Osnabruek. Supplies will be short for those lead units, so they will get the bulk of my air dropped supplies. 2nd British Army also captured another bridge across the Rhine into the Ruhr. Several new crossings were made across the Rhine north of Cologne (not shown on this map). I should have Cologne soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 93
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/1/2014 8:40:32 PM   
marion61

Turn 86 South

5th Army started mop up operations west of the Ticino River this turn, while making sure the north end of the new line is secured. I pulled back across the Po so I could rejoin 1st British Armored. Armored units from I FF Corps pushed to within 3 hexes of Mantova and 8th Army pushed within 4 hexes of Carpi. I'm flying as much supply as possible to these lead units. In another turn or two I should have both objectives. 8th Army also pushed around behind Ravenna this turn. Those units should escape on their turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 94
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/1/2014 8:52:39 PM   
marion61

Turn 87 France

15th Army has captured Rotterdam and The Hauge. They also made an assault on the units west of Amsterdam. I want to take the hexes around Amsterdam before I assault it. Parts of 9th Army helped 15th Army round up axis stragglers on the Netherlands side, while 9th Army and 1st Airborne Armies clear out the axis units sitting on my supply lines. Most of my armor I put on rest and refit until I can get some infantry up. I didn't even try to take Wilhelmshaven yet, but I did make sure the rail was cut and the land approach. Canadian 1st Army made a small push south of Osnabruek in the hopes of cutting the rail lines left going into the Ruhr and those large cities there. 2nd British Army units made a push into the Ruhr to further isolate it, while 1st Army cut Cologne off.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 95
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/1/2014 9:04:44 PM   
marion61

Turn 87 South

My lines around Milan are very weak at the moment. With the bulk of my infantry units mopping up German's and Italian's, I'm short handed.

I turned 5th Army & 1st FF Army armor units south across the river instead of continuing east. From the recon reports those units would have cost me several assaults to move and I'd still be short of Mantova. It was probably a mistake to do this since it took me several assaults just to rout those units defending the river (it's the French's fault ;)). I managed to break the lines around Genoa finally and should have it surrounded next turn. I'm expecting that any axis units south of the Po River will be withdrawing soon. It's a race with the mud now. 8th Army is doing it's part and continues to advance towards Carpi and takes Ravenna.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 96
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 3:10:10 PM   
marion61

Turn 88 France

Most of my offensive operations have been stopped by mud, and the high fatigue of my units. The rain does offer me the chance to get the rails repaired, move depots forward, and to move my fighters and strike aircraft closer. I won't move the aircraft until the rails make it near the airbase. Otherwise those planes just sit on the ground due to no supply and/or support. 21st British AG ordered all the armored units parked and put into rest and refit and await the rains to finish. 15th Army from 21st BAG is still conducting mop up operations around Amsterdam.

The units that 3rd Army and 1st Army have faced in the Ardennes have been tough. Even after they are "isolated" they sit on a depot and their CV's don't go down much. Takes several turns to cause their surrender.

The Russian's have finally taken Warsaw and have leaped forward in the past turn. If the mud doesn't let up there will be no way I can beat them to Berlin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 97
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 3:24:33 PM   
marion61

Turn 88 South

Most of my armored units in Northern Italy stayed within the narrow snow band to try and finish encircling the axis units in that pocket. My armored units made several assaults on Mantova, but my CV's were low due to poor supply. I'm also spread very thin on the northern flank of 6th AG from my advance towards Mantova. It's hard to cause the surrender of axis units with just regiments and I'm sure there is a depot still supporting them with those high CV's in the western mountains. 8th Army is still pushing towards Carpi, but very slowly. I'm out of reserves in 8th Army and can only push the units I have. If the mud hits before I close the pocket, I doubt I will bag many units. I'm still not sure why they chose to stay in that pocket this long, cause for some of those units there is no way they can get out now unless it can be held open, which is doubtful.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 98
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 3:28:31 PM   
marion61

Turn 89 France

Heavy rains again this turn in northern Europe. If this doesn't let up soon there will be no way to be in Berlin by May, and the Russian's are getting closer each turn. I did move most of my infantry divisions into positions to conduct assaults when the weather lets up again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 99
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 3:34:32 PM   
marion61

Turn 89 South

Armor from II Corps pushed thru the snow to cut the rails at their objective, and took Mantova. 8th Army was pushed back from Carpi, but did manage to cut the rails in their area. There is no more rail service for those pocketed units. I'm not sure how it happened, but that thin band of snow was a god send for my armor. If the mud had hit this turn I would never have cut the rails.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 100
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 3:42:07 PM   
marion61

Turn 93 North

The heavy rains have not let up for several turns. I've moved my armor into positions to exploit any openings the infantry make. The area of the front I want to break thru is where I have my armored units stacked just behind the lines. If the rains don't let up by next turn I will start my attack anyway. I've fallen behind in my time table from all the rain in March and April.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 101
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 3:57:29 PM   
marion61

Turn 93 South

II Corps pushes an armored division to just outside of Venice, cutting off those axis divisions on the east coast south of II Corps. The weather was clear in the area and although I had closed the pocket during the mud turns, this turn made sure those units in the Carpi Pocket didn't escape. One good push on my northern flank would stop the entire drive for 6th AG, since I have very few units protecting my supply lines. Most of my goals in Italy are complete except for mopping up and taking Venice.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 102
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 4:08:32 PM   
marion61

Turn 94 North

I decided not to wait another turn for the rains to let up. Most of my infantry assaults routed the axis defenders. 21st BAG armor poured thru the breach, with 9th Army taking Bremen, 1st Canadian Army and 2nd British Army almost taking Hannover and cutting rail lines behind the lines. I've flow all the freight missions to those lead units as possible so I can keep the pressure on.

2nd British Army and 3rd Army push thru the Ruhr and cut the rails all the way to Paderborn. I'm hoping with the flown in supply they are getting that they can finish encircling those units caught in the Dortmund Pocket.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 103
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 4:19:02 PM   
marion61

Turn 94 South

Axis units around Venice did manage to counter-attack my armored division outside the city and caused them to rout. It did have very high fatigue, but it accomplished it's mission by isolating those axis units south of Venice. This turn I had sufficient supply to make sure those units isolated now stay that way. I may just turn Italy into a POW camp since there is no way to make them all surrender before the game ends. As thin as my lines are, pushing much further is pointless.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 104
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 7:01:30 PM   
marion61

Turn 95 North

9th Army liberated their first allied POW camp and out of a camp of over 3000 men, only one wasn't a paratrooper! I've lost several divisions of paratroopers this game to risky operations.

My closest unit to the Berlin victory hex is still 16 hexes. I'm not meeting a lot of resistance, but the light mud has slowed my armor. If I get a clear turn I may still be able to beat the Russian's who are 11 hexes from the victory hex. Closed the large pocket around Dortmund, but those are good units inside the city with depots.

1st Army isn't shown on this map, but they are cutting in behind Frankfurt and thru Fulda. 3rd Army has finally finished mopping up around Aachen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 105
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 7:08:49 PM   
marion61

Turn 95 South

Not a lot of action in this theater, mainly mopping up before the final surrender. I would like to isolate those units SW of Trento. The clear weather down here sealed up Italy. I wish I hadn't committed so many forces to Italy, and when I did realize it it was too late to see that it had cost me an early victory in Germany. If I'd had the extra armored divisions from 5th Army I would have made better progress. I was trying to knock Italy out quick, but that didn't happen and I should have committed them elsewhere. Live and learn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 106
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 8:35:46 PM   
Banquet

Very interesting AAR - thanks for posting. I'm still reading through it but one question that springs to mind is what are the rules about moving air units and how quickly they become functional again? Do air units moved from one base to another become fully function on the next turn, or is there a delay? Is the delay greater if they are moved onto a airbase 'liberated' from enemy control, and are air ops affected by airfield damage?

< Message edited by Banquet -- 12/3/2014 9:37:01 PM >

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 107
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/3/2014 10:19:20 PM   
marion61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Very interesting AAR - thanks for posting. I'm still reading through it but one question that springs to mind is what are the rules about moving air units and how quickly they become functional again? Do air units moved from one base to another become fully function on the next turn, or is there a delay? Is the delay greater if they are moved onto a airbase 'liberated' from enemy control, and are air ops affected by airfield damage?

Moving air units to friendly bases depends on the range of the aircraft and if they have flown that turn yet or not. The turn they move into an airbase they may not have the supply or support to continue operations for a turn or so depending on the supply to the air base and what you set their supply priority to, with 4 sending what that base or those bases with a 4 priority need that turn. So when you move aircraft you will see some delay before all the groups become operational again. I will add that if you move them in the start of the air phase that they have the supply/ammo/support from the base they are leaving and will conduct operations that turn so long as it has the range after moving.

There is no delay due to just being liberated, the delay will come from how much supply/ammo/support the base needs. Airfield damage does affect operations and of course a base that is 100% damaged cannot conduct operations until repaired.

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 108
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 12:58:29 AM   
marion61

Turn 96 North Germany

I'm trying to squeeze all the supply I can from the system, but I can't get my depots closer until the rail yards get repaired, except where a port is near. I did capture Wilhemshaven and crossed the Elbe river north of Hamburg this turn. My infantry is making more ground than my armored units. The light mud is tough on movement and they are running low on supplies to conduct any huge operations this turn. The Russian's didn't move forward this turn and I think I only gained about a hex to Berlin this turn. Weather has been rain since the 1st week of March.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 109
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 1:03:15 AM   
marion61

Turn 96 South Germany

Unless something significant happens in Italy my pictures will show Germany until the game ends.

I did create as many depots as I could this turn. I should have pulled a RR unit out of Italy to help in France/Germany for I could use another one now. I decided that capturing Frankfort was not a priority for XV Corps so I stopped their advance and moved them to cover 3rd Armies flank towards Berlin. 7th Army made a few small gains down further south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 110
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 3:05:08 AM   
marion61

Start of turn 97 ground loses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 111
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 3:05:56 AM   
marion61

Turn 97 air loses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 112
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 3:09:21 AM   
marion61

Turn 97 Germany

If I could get just one clear turn in Germany I would be in Berlin in two turns. No matter how it ends now it's a draw against the AI this time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 113
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 5:17:14 PM   
marion61

Turn 98 Germany

The Western Allies decided that since the French were not allowed to take Paris, that they could take Berlin and end the war! My lead French Mech. Division is 3 hexes from the objective. Hopefully this turn will be clear again. The weather kept me from making progress for almost two months.

Italy is being cleared slowly and I have no further offensive actions planned there.

Most of my strategic bombing destroyed so many fuel/oil resources that even though the Axis still had planes, they couldn't get off the ground due to no fuel. This started consistently about 10 turns ago although the sorties they were putting up were each turn was less and less before this. Now they aren't flying any ground support missions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 114
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 8:50:31 PM   
marion61

End Game Victory Screen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 115
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 8:51:17 PM   
marion61

End game ground losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 116
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 8:51:58 PM   
marion61

End Game OOB.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 117
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 9:16:46 PM   
marion61

Turn 99 End Game

I pushed my units to take as many cities and to cause as many surrenders as possible before I moved the French into Berlin. The streets no longer run with blood, as thousands of french troops are Qui, Quing in Berlin now!

The weather for almost two months caused me delays which cost me the time penalty. I could have pushed during the mud, but most of my units had been in constant combat since they had landed and they needed the supplies and fatigue to catch up. It's no cake walk for the Allies to win, like it was when I started this beta. The AI improvements are great and there are so many invasion strategies to be made that the playability is there too. I honestly have only played the Axis once, but I found it easier to learn from the Allied side first. Then I played as fast as possible most games so that the engine could be tested.

I did make one large strategic blunder and that was not taking 5th Army (or 8th Army) out of Italy a lot sooner to help with taking France and Germany. This was the 1st game I've played that I didn't move them to France, because I wanted to see how far I could go this game into Italy. If I had taken them out of Italy sooner, I would have had a better chance to get a minor victory.

I've enjoyed doing this AAR and this beta. I'm glad I can contribute to a game I've waited for since I was 12 and got my first Avalon Hill board game! Thanks for the game!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 118
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 10:02:59 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks Meklore61, great AAR!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 119
RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR - 12/4/2014 10:21:23 PM   
SigUp

Must say the VP conditions look good. Surprised to see you being very close to a German minor victory. Thought it was going to be an Allied victory for sure with the way you were running the Germans off the map. Also a good change from WITE where it was solely terrain driven (and in the original 1941-45 campaign - not the 260 one - it was a major Soviet victory when the Soviet player managed to capture Berlin around the historical date).

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Camp. 43 Allied AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI