Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/4/2014 9:26:02 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Play balance problems just inevitably pop-up from games of this complexity, particularly after it's released and inventive players figure out creative ways to "game" the system, whether it's CV Death Stars, Lvov pockets, Artillery/tank stacks, HQ chaining, run-away gambits, etc. No doubt within the first few months someone will be invading Denmark in 1943 or para-dropping on Berlin or :"death-bombing" the Reich or some sort of unforeseen gambit that requires further tweaking to balance out.

I'll still buy it, but I bet it takes awhile to work out the play balance kinks.......nature of the beast

WITP-AE is a 12-year old engine, and play balance is STILL being tinkered with.

+1..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 31
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/4/2014 9:41:47 PM   
gwgardner

I was a playtester for WitW. In my opinion it's a major winner. I've never been much on playing scenarios in other games - always wanted the campaign game - but I've enjoyed every scenario (including the campaign game) in WitW and have played most from both sides. I can't recall the last time there was a crash during gameplay - it's been months. Surely problems will be found, with more and more players digging into it, but I don't believe anyone will feel like this game isn't ready and polished from day one.

One of the beauties of the game is the many layers of play. You want to dig into the details of supply, manpower, material - go for it. You want to basically ignore those details, the game can take care of it. You want to create all your own air directives, determining exactly which squadrons do what and how, you can. However if you want to have the AI create air directives based upon your overall air doctrine, it will. And so on.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 32
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/4/2014 9:46:38 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Are all the scenarios in weekly turns basically?

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 33
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/4/2014 10:00:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thank you gwgardner. Yes aatoysandmore, WITW is all weekly turns, with air resolved in daily increments.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 34
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 4:21:57 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

I just want the game with the best single player experience between the two. No plans on PBEM.

me 2

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 35
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 5:23:29 AM   
JeffroK

I'll also wait for a few others to do a "recce by fire"

I havent been impressed by some of the AAR, seems to be too easy to create endless pockets.

I'm a historical accuracy buff, references to 1st Indian Division & 1st NZ Motorised Div have me worried.

GG has come up with some fantastic ideas for games, BUT, most have needed fantastic effort from modders to get them to the stage I want.

I'll stay in reserve until the game has been put under some pressure.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 36
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 7:58:42 AM   
obvert

Congrats to the designers for getting this off the ground! Looks like an improved design with some great new additions.

Conceptually it's odd to me it starts in the last 2/3 of the war. I get there isn't much land combat before this, but still seems strange. I'm sure there is a good VP scale to allow the Germans a victory in game, but it seems hard to play a side that is starting on the downward slope from day 1. I know from WITP:AE playing Japan in 44/45 can have it's fun days, but most of the time it's a depressing slog. I haven't read through everything here, but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. How do others feel about the start date in game?

That said, all of the improvements (and especially the air model) seem great. I'm with Bullwinkle on the counters. Much prefer visual icons. Maybe there will be a patch to choose a different look?

I'll be looking forward to reading some AARs from the first few weeks and months.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 37
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 8:13:58 AM   
Kriegsspieler

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I'll also wait for a few others to do a "recce by fire"

I havent been impressed by some of the AAR, seems to be too easy to create endless pockets.

I'm a historical accuracy buff, references to 1st Indian Division & 1st NZ Motorised Div have me worried.

GG has come up with some fantastic ideas for games, BUT, most have needed fantastic effort from modders to get them to the stage I want.

I'll stay in reserve until the game has been put under some pressure.

What one person considers fantastic effort by modders could also be looked at as a fantastic opportunity to adapt a game to one's own taste. I think a game that has both a good base and offers chances for further modding has a lot to say for it.
Meanwhile, as for this release, I'll get around to buying it when I've got a week free to really get into it. There's nothing more frustrating than just dipping your toe into one of Grigsby's games!

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Conceptually it's odd to me it starts in the last 2/3 of the war. I get there isn't much land combat before this, but still seems strange. I'm sure there is a good VP scale to allow the Germans a victory in game, but it seems hard to play a side that is starting on the downward slope from day 1. I know from WITP:AE playing Japan in 44/45 can have it's fun days, but most of the time it's a depressing slog. I haven't read through everything here, but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. How do others feel about the start date in game?

That said, all of the improvements (and especially the air model) seem great. I'm with Bullwinkle on the counters. Much prefer visual icons. Maybe there will be a patch to choose a different look?

I'll be looking forward to reading some AARs from the first few weeks and months.

I agree. A game that starts in 1943 misses the ebb and flow of the entire theater. But clearly that's coming down the road, because the mechanics for putting the entire European side of the war together are now in place. Think of the money you pay for this game as a downpayment on the final product!

< Message edited by Kriegsspieler -- 12/5/2014 9:21:17 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 38
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 8:31:48 AM   
guke

I fully expect the game to have balancing issues at the start. How could such a complex game not have such issues at launch?

Even in the very unlikely event that it turns out I don't like the game I would still not regret the purchase. I have enjoyed GG games for the last 25 years or so and I would gladly spend the money for this game just to make sure 2by3 will have the funds to make the next game :-)

(in reply to Kriegsspieler)
Post #: 39
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 11:51:18 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm "in" if WitW turns out to be a masterpiece. But based upon what I've seen with the releases of WitE (all kinds of bugs) and WiF (promises not kept, at least after more than a year), I'm leary of making the investment. I want to hear from players I know and trust that the game is fantastic. I don't want to go through years of teething pains on a product that isn't ready or is poorly balanced or is buggy.

I've been spoiled by WitP: AE. Best game ever. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy playing it until my life comes to an end, if only it didn't require so much time! (That's a compliment, by the way.)

So, if WitW is fun and of good quality and doesn't require immense time on the scale of AE, then I'll buy it. But I need to see and hear the reviews from trusted players first.

Hey Dan!
Nice to see you're still lurking around and sniffing :-)

I have your very same concerns, but, as i was telling Obvert this morning by email, i will buy it blind, no matter what.
The fact is that WITPAE is such a good game that i find really hard (almost impossible) to play anything else.
(to be honest, there are evenings - many- where, while laying down with my GF, i can't help but thinking about what Obvert will do in India, how i will manage the Ha-35 Engine production in 1943 or which location is better to fortify for the next allied advance, instead of devoting to what should be the "love of my life"... shhh, don't ever tell her!)
... so WITPAE is such a great game... and i would find a bit "un-grateful" (sp!?) towards the GG Devs team not to buy their newer products not because i've not been happy with their previous, but because i've been (i am) even TOO happy with what they've done so far.
It's like if my clients had such a good feedback from what i've done for them that they wouldn't buy anymore of my services in the future... quite a paradox!

So, i'm gonna buy it. Don't know if i will ever play it (guess so), but i will. Just like as i've done with BTR, WITE etc...

They simply deserve that, imho.

Also i've played BTR enough in the past to know how good the new air system will be. I trust them because i've seen their products. They may have some problems (which product doesn't have em!?) but, for sure, they are the best on town.

my 0,02 cents

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 40
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 12:23:58 PM   
carlkay58

vonRocko - I am a playtester and I finished about five games through the playtesting. I know several other playtesters did too. While all of my playtest campaigns were as the Allied player, I know that several others finished them as the Axis player. The game probably will still need some balancing out - and you can only do that with a lot more game results than the playtesters were able to generate.

WitW 43 campaign takes less than half of the time of the WitE 41 campaign and we won't even compare it to the massive time commitment for WitP. We should start seeing some campaign results against the AI in the next week or two - depending on people's time on the game. I would not be surprised if we see a Human vs Human game finish by the end of this month.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 41
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 12:48:05 PM   
modrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm "in" if WitW turns out to be a masterpiece. But based upon what I've seen with the releases of WitE (all kinds of bugs) and WiF (promises not kept, at least after more than a year), I'm leary of making the investment. I want to hear from players I know and trust that the game is fantastic. I don't want to go through years of teething pains on a product that isn't ready or is poorly balanced or is buggy.

I've been spoiled by WitP: AE. Best game ever. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy playing it until my life comes to an end, if only it didn't require so much time! (That's a compliment, by the way.)

So, if WitW is fun and of good quality and doesn't require immense time on the scale of AE, then I'll buy it. But I need to see and hear the reviews from trusted players first.

Hey Dan!
Nice to see you're still lurking around and sniffing :-)

I have your very same concerns, but, as i was telling Obvert this morning by email, i will buy it blind, no matter what.
The fact is that WITPAE is such a good game that i find really hard (almost impossible) to play anything else.
(to be honest, there are evenings - many- where, while laying down with my GF, i can't help but thinking about what Obvert will do in India, how i will manage the Ha-35 Engine production in 1943 or which location is better to fortify for the next allied advance, instead of devoting to what should be the "love of my life"... shhh, don't ever tell her!)
... so WITPAE is such a great game... and i would find a bit "un-grateful" (sp!?) towards the GG Devs team not to buy their newer products not because i've not been happy with their previous, but because i've been (i am) even TOO happy with what they've done so far.
It's like if my clients had such a good feedback from what i've done for them that they wouldn't buy anymore of my services in the future... quite a paradox!

So, i'm gonna buy it. Don't know if i will ever play it (guess so), but i will. Just like as i've done with BTR, WITE etc...

They simply deserve that, imho.

Also i've played BTR enough in the past to know how good the new air system will be. I trust them because i've seen their products. They may have some problems (which product doesn't have em!?) but, for sure, they are the best on town.

my 0,02 cents

+1.

GreyJoy summarized my own sentiments perfecly. I bought yesterday because I want to make Matrix continue to publish games of this type (How about a WitP II, btw...). It remains to be seen whether WitW will outclass WitP/WitP-AE.

What also added to the decision to buy was that BTR and WitE both made it to second place on my personal favourite list for a while. These titles were just unlucky that WitP/WitP-AE consumed almost all my playing time .

So THANK YOU 2by3 and Matrix for publishing this title. I appreciate it and I want to support it.

Just my thoughts

Hartwig

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 42
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:02:15 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

vonRocko - I am a playtester and I finished about five games through the playtesting. I know several other playtesters did too. While all of my playtest campaigns were as the Allied player, I know that several others finished them as the Axis player. The game probably will still need some balancing out - and you can only do that with a lot more game results than the playtesters were able to generate.

WitW 43 campaign takes less than half of the time of the WitE 41 campaign and we won't even compare it to the massive time commitment for WitP. We should start seeing some campaign results against the AI in the next week or two - depending on people's time on the game. I would not be surprised if we see a Human vs Human game finish by the end of this month.

Thanks carlkay58. I'll be getting this one!

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 43
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:18:48 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kriegsspieler

I agree. A game that starts in 1943 misses the ebb and flow of the entire theater. But clearly that's coming down the road, because the mechanics for putting the entire European side of the war together are now in place. Think of the money you pay for this game as a downpayment on the final product!

I had not realized this factor (1943 start) was bothering me on an unconscious level until obvert said it out loud. I get all the marketing reasons to do the hard-core years in the West first, but it does seem . . . jarring after playing WITP/AE so long and having to fight through the tough early era to get to the fat times as Allies.

A complete 1939-1945 WitW . .. man, big, tasty meal! I'm already wondering how they handle the Battle of the Atlantic, on which so much turned.

The Moose

(in reply to Kriegsspieler)
Post #: 44
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:26:59 PM   
Mundy

It would almost look like a role for an Atlantic WITP-AE.

To us Pacific guys, the Med would probably feel claustrophobic.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 45
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:28:09 PM   
RedLancer

It's not marketing really -  it's development time.  WitW took well over two years.  If you push the timeline back beyond May 43 you really need a more developed naval game which adds another layer of complexity to iron out and balance. 

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 46
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:31:18 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

It's not marketing really -  it's development time.  WitW took well over two years.  If you push the timeline back beyond May 43 you really need a more developed naval game which adds another layer of complexity to iron out and balance. 

True. Plus things like the French and Dutch militaries.

But I'm a naval guy!

The Moose

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 47
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:33:55 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I had not realized this factor (1943 start) was bothering me on an unconscious level until obvert said it out loud. I get all the marketing reasons to do the hard-core years in the West first, but it does seem . . . jarring after playing WITP/AE so long and having to fight through the tough early era to get to the fat times as Allies.

A complete 1939-1945 WitW . .. man, big, tasty meal! I'm already wondering how they handle the Battle of the Atlantic, on which so much turned.

Exactly! With the popularity of WIPT:AE and the previous versions, all driven by naval combat and logistics, how about convoys and wolf packs and commerce raiders and Condors and Flower class boats pitching through winter gales!?! Will the Italian fleet make into battle or get sunk in port? Can the Germans supply North Africa effectively? Can the Allies get supplies to Russia and GB? Which Norwegian fjord is hiding the Turpitz!?!

A War in the Atlantic and Mediterranean would definitely make me interested in playing this game, and without it feels a bit like a hot dog without the bun, or the mustard.

Since I just read a book about the incredible influence of photo recon in the European Theatre, I also wonder how that is modeled in game. Are the sides equal in game (because they were far from it in the war). Can recon be used to enhance combat capabilities? Can you discover weapons programs and vital factories in order to destroy them?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 48
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:36:37 PM   
obvert

quote:

Is that on the table for the future?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 49
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:41:26 PM   
offenseman

For this game, the start date seems reasonable for the largest campaign game. TBH it never occurred to me to be bothered by it and that Germany would be on the down side of a steep hill for the entire game. Instead it seemed to me to be a great opportunity to do better than historical; sort of like one has to do in AE as Japan.

I had WitE and was disappointed but knowing how much was learned from its initial release, bought this one blind. I even accept that a fast update will be needed and issued, then another. Because any game of even moderate complexity is never perfect and always needs to iron out a few wrinkles. So in the interim, I'll play scenarios so that the time investment of a GC is not wasted until the kinks get worked out and use that time to learn how to play it well. Win-win all the way around.

All that said, I would love to see a War in Europe that include the map from the Eastern US seaboard to the Urals and Arctic Circle to North Africa, with AE style naval rules and economies.

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 50
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:52:42 PM   
RedLancer

Joel wrote this text way back in Feb 2012 (Original here:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3051557  )

Our next game will be War in the West 43-45 which will be the same scale as WitE and will include a more robust air game with the land campaigns and strategic bombing. After that we plan on War in the West 40 (which will include Norway, France, England and the Med, and add a new detailed naval system) and War in the West 41-42 which will focus on the Med. War in the West 43-45 will have campaigns that start in the summer of 43 and the summer of 44, as well as shorter scenarios. We have an alpha map for all of Europe (including the Soviet Union to east of the Urals), North Africa and the Middle East). We plan to use this map to eventually produce a WitE 2.0 which would fit in with the War in the West products and allow us to fill in a complete War in Europe. Of course, this will take many years.

It's great to see all you WitP guys here - having played WitP, WPO and WitP:AE I merely observe that WitP is a principally a naval game with abstracted land units whereas WitW is a land game with an abstracted naval model.  I love your thinking but quite how it might work takes genius - thank goodness for GG.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 51
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 1:57:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

quote:

1943 is not really a fat time - the Germans are not pushovers and as the Allies you will find they have a good amount of control over their own destiny and can cause you a lot of problems right up to 1945.

More directly though - going earlier would have required not only a new air game, but also a new naval game, which was beyond the scope of development. WITW is the result of four years of additional research, development and testing after WITE.

We would like to go earlier as well, but with a future release.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 52
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:04:08 PM   
JocMeister

Downloading right now. I hope my fellow AE players will do the same!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 53
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:04:48 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Joel wrote this text way back in Feb 2012 (Original here:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3051557  )

Our next game will be War in the West 43-45 which will be the same scale as WitE and will include a more robust air game with the land campaigns and strategic bombing. After that we plan on War in the West 40 (which will include Norway, France, England and the Med, and add a new detailed naval system) and War in the West 41-42 which will focus on the Med. War in the West 43-45 will have campaigns that start in the summer of 43 and the summer of 44, as well as shorter scenarios. We have an alpha map for all of Europe (including the Soviet Union to east of the Urals), North Africa and the Middle East). We plan to use this map to eventually produce a WitE 2.0 which would fit in with the War in the West products and allow us to fill in a complete War in Europe. Of course, this will take many years.

It's great to see all you WitP guys here - having played WitP, WPO and WitP:AE I merely observe that WitP is a principally a naval game with abstracted land units whereas WitW is a land game with an abstracted naval model.  I love your thinking but quite how it might work takes genius - thank goodness for GG.

Thanks for this. I knew I had read somewhere about at least two follow-on games, but not where I had read it. The 2x3 site is pretty spare and doesn't discuss the future.

I'm trying to be careful here about butting in as I'm not currently a buyer. Kind of like owning a Porsche (AE) and having a neighbor buy a Jag. You go over to take a look, but you don't want to get in the way of the Jag club who is standing around the new baby oohing and aahing. This one is going to attract a lot of AE players, just as WitE did. Many came back to AE after they wrung it out. A WitW with heavy Atlantic naval? Maybe they don't come back.

The Moose

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 54
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:05:54 PM   
Grotius

I too eventually will want a 1939-40 start, and I'm glad Red Lancer reminded us of Joel's post about later WiTW games. But for now, I actually see some PBEM advantages to the 1943 start. Some people are better at D than O, and this way you can go all-in on D. Also, it might be nice to try playing the Axis without matching their offensive triumphs. In a full WW2 game, I always feel like the game is a letdown if the Axis messes up its early blitzkrieg, because the endgame becomes less interesting.

So far I certainly don't regret the purchase of WiTW. The air, weather and logistics systems alone justify the purchase for me.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 55
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:07:46 PM   
gexmex

Would the earlier years of the war come as standalone releases at standalone release prices, or add-ons to this current War in the West? I guess what I'm wondering is if WitW would be the initial investment, and then the follow up content would be like $40-$50 instead of $100. I'm assuming the naval changes would be very significant, but since it's all in the same theater, I'm guessing the land and air aspects wouldn't necessarily have to change a great deal.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 56
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:09:13 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Did you clear this with Herself?!! You're gonna be in trouuuuuuuuble!

The Moose

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 57
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:11:08 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Did you clear this with Herself?!! You're gonna be in trouuuuuuuuble!

Haha, I actually did. And I bought Command and Flashpoint last week. She havn´t seen the bill yet though...

Post #: 58
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:20:10 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

...I always feel like the game is a letdown if the Axis messes up its early blitzkrieg, because the endgame becomes less interesting.

As Japan I lost
Now in the Wild West
I will lose again

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 59
RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) - 12/5/2014 2:21:30 PM   
Canoerebel

P.S. The haiku is in honor of Grotius. Back during his WitP:AE days, several players would post haiku's in Grotius's AAR. It's been awhile since those days. But Grotius will lose again. :)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Why I'm Not Buying (Yet) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI