Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

patch question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> patch question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
patch question - 3/1/2003 9:18:59 AM   
Terp

Will the new patch allow/affect existing PBEM games, or must we start over to take advantage of the patch?

Terp

It has long been noted that some conquerors prefer enemies as fierce as tigers and brave as eagles, for only then can they savor the true joy of victory.
Post #: 1
Re: patch question - 3/1/2003 9:23:30 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terp
[B]Will the new patch allow/affect existing PBEM games, or must we start over to take advantage of the patch?

Terp [/B][/QUOTE]

The advice I have seen in these forums from Matrix staff has been that you should continue your ongoing PBEM games under the patch they were started under.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 2
- 3/1/2003 10:00:15 AM   
Mr.Frag

Keep in mind, there are two parts to the patch.

Stuff from a mechanics and formula standpoint. This is in the game itself, and will carry through to existing games.

Stuff from a database/scenario tuneup standpoint. This is NOT in the game, and only gets factored in during a new game as these database changes are ONLY referenced during a game start, from then on, all data comes from the save game file.

Personally, based on the wide mix of changes, I'd be calling it based on VP or a draw and moving on to the huge changes :D

If you don't, you'll be playing with half a patch which is bound to get confusing.

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 3
- 3/1/2003 12:12:36 PM   
bradfordkay

The downside is that I'd really like to finish a long campaign game before WITP comes out. Since I don't play UV constantly (heresy!), I've never gotten beyond about Feb '42 before another patch comes out and makes me start all over again. This time I am seriously thinking about playing out the game I've got going on now and not worrying about the details... I'll get the gameplay patch experience at least...

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 4
- 3/1/2003 12:32:22 PM   
bilbow

I have to agree, Brad. One of my games started at 1.4 and a couple of others in versions before 2.2. I've never had any significant issues with changing versions, so I'm for keeping going, even if I miss a few database changes. I WILL finish one of these someday, but not with a restart.

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 5
- 3/3/2003 6:48:39 AM   
CapAndGown

As for myself, I am looking forward to the patch and I have no intentions of restarting at least one of my games (that has reached Sept. 42). This game started under 1.4 and we have just updated through all the patches. To much effort invested to restart. And there are too many goodies in the next patch to want to continue with the current version (at least as the jap side, since US level bombers are stripped of their exocets. :) )

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 6
- 3/3/2003 9:20:22 AM   
Yamamoto

So you won't get the database update. Big deal. Most of the changes are about subs in this release and those WILL take place in the saved games.

The only thing I will miss will be the Japanese minelaying subs.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 7
- 3/3/2003 9:45:37 AM   
Mr.Frag

Hope for your sake that the exocet equipped bombers are not part of the database change :D

Couple that with the best AA Japan has not firing most likely being a database change :D

Poor Japan player :(

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 8
- 3/3/2003 10:58:41 AM   
CapAndGown

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr.Frag
[B]Hope for your sake that the exocet equipped bombers are not part of the database change :D

Couple that with the best AA Japan has not firing most likely being a database change :D

Poor Japan player :( [/B][/QUOTE]

Neither the exocets nor the AAA guns are change to the database. :cool: (actually, our smilies are rather limited here. Instead of a guy in shades, picture a group of dancing bannanas. :D )

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 9
- 3/3/2003 11:27:54 AM   
Drex

i created a new UV game directory for 2.3 in case one or more of my opponents wanted to stay with 2.2, Now I can have it both ways. But it looks like all four of them want to upgrade anyway. any how it is a solution.

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 10
Search ed but no cigar - 3/6/2003 5:09:34 AM   
MemoryLeak

I am installing UV on my laptop so I can play it more often. I have one of the preorder cd from the original batch. I have all of the patches burned to a cd. Do I start with v2.0 then 2.1 and 2.2 to get current? or do I have to go back further?
Sorry, I guess I flushed those brain cells.

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 11
Re: Search ed but no cigar - 3/6/2003 5:15:00 AM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MemoryLeak
[B]I am installing UV on my laptop so I can play it more often. I have one of the preorder cd from the original batch. I have all of the patches burned to a cd. Do I start with v2.0 then 2.1 and 2.2 to get current? or do I have to go back further?
Sorry, I guess I flushed those brain cells. [/B][/QUOTE]

The V2.0 patch includes all the 1.x patches. Then you will have to apply the 2.1, 2.11 and 2.2 patches

(in reply to Terp)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> patch question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI