Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/12/2014 10:03:18 AM   
Powloon

I have a new allied ironman campaign vs the AI which has just moved into January.

I have just about got my head around arranging a pilot training programme. My pool of USN NavT trained pilots is non existent.

My understanding is to train NavT pilots you need to assign a squadron the training mission with naval attack in a torpedo capable aircraft.

My question is what airframes do people use in the early war to train these USN pilots? The commonwealth forces start with several torpedo bomber squadrons of which I am currently using a couple to train up new pilots.

The USN does not seem to have any suitable aircraft other than on the carriers themselves. Do people pull these planes off the carriers and use them for training purposes? Thanks in advance!

< Message edited by Powloon -- 12/12/2014 11:03:59 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/12/2014 10:24:18 AM   
Itdepends

US West coast based Patrol, (catalina) squadrons. Once the CVE's start to show up you can use their squadrons for training. The CVE's themselves are more useful with fighter/divebombers

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 2
RE: Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/12/2014 10:38:41 AM   
Powloon

Thanks I hadn't considered the Catalina Squadrons.

Although it does feel that there are not enough Catalina's to go around as it is without diverting a couple of squadrons to use as training squadrons. Ahhh horrible choices I guess that's mostly what an Allied player in January 42 gets to do!

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 3
RE: Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/13/2014 1:46:21 PM   
capthook

I like to put all the carrier torpedo bombers on train for the first few months of the war. They really aren't that useful, range is too short, the allied carriers shouldn't be in combat anyway and there isn't any other Navy air group with torpedos except patrol planes. They are needed elsewhere. Around April or May (42), when some good aircraft are coming in, I have enough quality pilots to make a small reserve. The allied carrier groups need a lot of work those first months.

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 4
RE: Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/13/2014 4:41:31 PM   
Louisvillan

When Yorktown shows up, I transfer her torpedo squadron to San Diego as a dedicated training squadron. I will then embark a Marine Wildcat or Dauntless squadron.

Similarly, at war start, I pull the Lexington fighter squadron (flying Buffaloes) and replace with 2 Marine Wildcat squadron's. Lastly Hornets dive bomber squadron (flying those old by plan Helldiver) also gets sent to the beach for training duties. So by April 42, I have one each Navy fighter, dive and torpedo squadron in San Diego training up Newby pilots.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

(in reply to capthook)
Post #: 5
RE: Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/13/2014 10:01:19 PM   
Itdepends

Louisvillan I find the floatplane squadrons much more numerous and useful for training USN fighter and dive ombré pilots

(in reply to Louisvillan)
Post #: 6
RE: Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots - 12/13/2014 11:03:23 PM   
Louisvillan

Oh I agree completely. Those Kingfisher squadron's are great for fighter/bombing training.

I just find that those two squadron's obsolete aircraft are valuable training assets. Putting them on the beach for training frees up their experienced pilots to the pools and, when wildcat numbers are low, I can use marine fighter squadrons to boost fighter numbers at sea.

Just my 2 cents worth.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Training USN Torpedo Bomber Pilots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI