Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are there too many games....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Are there too many games.... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are there too many games.... - 12/7/2014 10:56:09 PM   
AbwehrX

..not enough opponents, time etc? There are hundreds of wargames to choose from both board & computer and in some cases people are demanding more, but that begs the question; should they? Is it better to pick just a few very appealing systems and focus exclusively on those dynamics and potentials for a select few genre's rather than bouncing from trend to trend that certain levels of players choose? I could spend the rest of my life on less than a dozen games that I already have possessed for years and not be bored. Opinions appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/7/2014 11:03:01 PM   
bairdlander2

I have purchased many games over the years and really only play maybe 1-2 on a regular basis

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 2
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/7/2014 11:38:28 PM   
Twotribes

Depends on the game some have very little replayability or only so much any way.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 3
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 1:14:44 AM   
z1812

In the guitar world when you really want a guitar you are referred to as having GAS. Guitar Aquisition Syndrome.

I suppose you could call the continuous collecting of games GAS as well. Game Aquisition Syndrome.

Like many people I have many games but only play a few. I don't regret the games I have bought as they enabled me to choose the very few I really like and actually play.

In the past few years there are very few games I have purchased. There are a number of games that are released and are clearly unfinished. Many are also great to start but are not supported properly. This also makes me quite careful about what I buy.

Quantity and quality rarely happen simultaneously.

< Message edited by z1812 -- 12/8/2014 2:17:51 AM >

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 4
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 2:15:57 AM   
parusski

Not to be flippant but, NO there are not too many games.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 5
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 2:34:40 AM   
Qwixt

I don't think there's too many game. There is definitely too many acronyms for games though.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 6
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 2:56:15 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

I don't think there's too many game. There is definitely too many acronyms for games though.

Good point.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 7
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 4:25:31 AM   
zakblood

too many applies to same games re hashed maybe, or those who are almost the same, so yes agree with the too many part, except for good ones, there aren't many of those, and tbh and don't think there ever will be to many great or good games or classic ones either...

most seem to be just quick made, then move on to the next one before someone else beats you to the same old rubbish, and there's steam green light for you in a few words...

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 8
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 12:10:20 PM   
MrsWargamer

Yes there are :)

When I was 20 I didn't have the troubles I have now. It wasn't possible to have the troubles I have now.

There are too many games even if you limit it to just board games :)

But there are definitely too many computer wargames now.

Scroll down the list of games, have you played them all? What are the chances you have even heard of them all? I'll bet you will be surprised to see some of them. You likely will wonder where some of them even came from.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 12:33:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

..not enough opponents, time etc? There are hundreds of wargames to choose from both board & computer and in some cases people are demanding more, but that begs the question; should they? Is it better to pick just a few very appealing systems and focus exclusively on those dynamics and potentials for a select few genre's rather than bouncing from trend to trend that certain levels of players choose? I could spend the rest of my life on less than a dozen games that I already have possessed for years and not be bored. Opinions appreciated.
Warspite1

I suspect the simple answer is no. If there were then people would stop buying which would mean the likes of Matrix would go out of business.

I suspect many war gamers are still waiting for THAT game - the one that they have always wanted and can devote time to. Then when they have found it, they play it to death and then move on to the next ONE. in between times they buy a load of stuff that never quite fits the bill, or never even gets played.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 10
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 1:05:18 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

There are definitely too many acronyms for games , I generally type the full name of the game. A lot of people that read a message or article about games or gaming and start seeing acronyms for the games or other information will stop reading and move on...if you want to get your point across, type in the full name!

As far as "Are there too many games", I say absolutely not! The old saying "variety is the spice of life" applies to gaming also. All the games that I have played, I always learn something new or different about games or gaming. If you think there are too many games...then don't buy or play them, that's OK, I understand. Please don't whine that there are too many games , it gets real old.

Happy Gaming Everyone!
Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 11
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 1:14:18 PM   
Alan Sharif

I have to answer no to this question to. There are a great many subjects, as yet untouched, or hardly touched, by PC Wargames. When that is no longer the case, then there will be different scales, tactical, operational for example, and a few designers individual takes on the subject. Once all that is done, the answer will be yes. Currently, we are not even close.

A Sharif

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 12
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 1:24:06 PM   
Aurelian

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The only time you have too many games is when you can't play any of them.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 13
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 6:15:24 PM   
Max 86

The game market market provides a wide variety of games that have to appeal to different types of players. As we know, the games range from simple to complex and from the ancient world to the scifi universe. That shows a well developed market place with plenty of choices. Yay capitalism and free choice. I don't expect to play them all but am happy I have a choice.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 14
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 6:20:47 PM   
Jamm

No, and there aren't too many flavours of ice cream either,...

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 15
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 6:26:29 PM   
Kuokkanen

I believe original poster is frustrated that one given game doesn't have enough players for multiplayer. Particularly older games that didn't sell well. So if Matrix's WW2 hex games were limited to TOAW3, Panzer Corps, Gary Grigsby's monster games (WitP & sequels), and SPWAW, then those games would have much more multiplayer base and much more official scenarios and (mega) campaigns than what they have now with abundance of other titles (Korsun Pocket, Unity of Command...) that seem to be just some variation or another. If Panzer Corps and Allied Corps were in one package instead spreading multiplayer base across 2 different games...

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 12/8/2014 7:28:50 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 16
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 6:39:24 PM   
AbwehrX

quote:

I believe original poster is frustrated that one given game doesn't have enough players for multiplayer. Particularly older games that didn't sell well. So if Matrix's WW2 hex games were limited to TOAW3, Panzer Corps, Gary Grigsby's monster games (WitP & sequels), and SPWAW, then those games would have much more multiplayer base and much more official scenarios and (mega) campaigns than what they have now with abundance of other titles (Korsun Pocket, Unity of Command...) that seem to be just some variation or another. If Panzer Corps and Allied Corps were in one package instead spreading multiplayer base across 2 different games...

Actually the time factor is what is most pressing. I dont have enough time (translates as money) to coordinate and devote to the range of games that I so earnestly crave to play. Theres about a dozen campaigns I would like to run but simply dont have enough time and I fear that by the time I do, the most worthy opponents will have already passed into the Moebius Tubes of the Multiverse.

quote:

No, and there aren't too many flavours of ice cream either,...

Yes there is. I only need chocolate.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/8/2014 6:43:30 PM   
wodin

Though there are loads of games out there I find very few will stay on my hard drive for long..infact it's a select few so for me even though there are loads of games out only a few really do it for me in the end.

J

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 18
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 11:02:17 AM   
Dorb

I find that there is not to many games, just not enough time to play with 45-50hr work week and family life. I end up buying way more games than I can play, just as many others here.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 12:24:56 PM   
AbwehrX

quote:

I find that there is not to many games, just not enough time to play with 45-50hr work week and family life. I end up buying way more games than I can play, just as many others here.

Good point. Is there a solution to this dilemma?

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 20
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 12:55:08 PM   
Ostwindflak

A problem for me is that I have some wonderful war-board games, but only one opponent. When my buddy isn't travelling abroad we get some gaming in, but other than that I know of nobody in my area to play with.

It is quite sad really to have great games and nobody to play them with; at least in terms of board games. I don't care so much with all the video war games I own. So I have no problem with more being made. For me it comes down to finding people to play them with.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 12/9/2014 1:56:45 PM >

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 21
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 1:23:01 PM   
zakblood

i spend 30/40 hours a week game testing atm, so not a lot left to play but i tend to get the odd evening for a few hours every day, lets say 5 out of 7

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 22
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 3:54:57 PM   
AbwehrX

Zak-
quote:

i spend 30/40 hours a week game testing atm, so not a lot left to play but i tend to get the odd evening for a few hours every day, lets say 5 out of 7

Now we're getting somewhere.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 23
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 5:15:42 PM   
Dorb

quote:

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

Zak-
quote:

Now we're getting somewhere.

+1 THAT!

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 24
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 7:21:35 PM   
Fred98

Yes there are too many wargames. It means there are few opponents for each individual game.

I have not played a PBEM game since about April.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 25
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/9/2014 8:03:53 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorb

+1

That seems to be the case for many of us.

Rick

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 26
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/11/2014 2:15:09 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Depends on the game some have very little replayability or only so much any way.

I agree with Twotribes. If you find a game with high replayability and (for me) high modability, I would say, go for it, and keep at it.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 27
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/12/2014 6:10:39 PM   
MrsWargamer

It's not relevant to me at the juncture actually, whether there are 'too many games'.

I think I have reached a point where I simply have too many games.

I am not sure what my problem is, but, I suspect part of it is, I buy things to feel like I am not destitute. The problem is, I am almost just that.

That, and I have too many books, too many hobbies of all kinds actually.

I shouldn't be buying more, now, or in a few months or conceivably ever. How many games can a person play at once?

I prefer to be 'making things' most though. Maybe I have just gotten too old to get the original thrill out of the games.

Regardless, you guys have been ok the last while. I want to mention that.

I'm going to try harder though, to say less, if not none at all. I need to reign in some of my activities, find my focus, and determine why nothing is lighting the fire much.

I might seem like I have wandered off at this point. Nothing mysterious.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 28
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/12/2014 6:59:14 PM   
AbwehrX

Mrs Wargamer-
quote:

It's not relevant to me at the juncture actually, whether there are 'too many games'.
I think I have reached a point where I simply have too many games.

Actually this topic is a loaded question. I know the industry has raced to put out a variety of games for a variety of reasons. Obviously sales goals are part of it since they want to make a living which is not a bad thing. However Im constructing another direction that would benefit both the industry and the fans in a new way that has not yet been attempted on a large scale so I appreciate everyones input.

quote:

I am not sure what my problem is, but, I suspect part of it is, I buy things to feel like I am not destitute. The problem is, I am almost just that.
That, and I have too many books, too many hobbies of all kinds actually.

Destitution does suck. Ive been there myself even though in some ways it depends upon how one would define it. However possessing a large number of games & books is also beneficial if used frequently.

quote:

I shouldn't be buying more, now, or in a few months or conceivably ever. How many games can a person play at once?

I prefer to be 'making things' most though. Maybe I have just gotten too old to get the original thrill out of the games.

Running multiple campaigns is good training. Ive even played RTS games on the net while doing my turn in World in Flames on the map. Gaming also keeps us frosty & youthful too! Dont give in, even after you make your last human gasp. The soul lives on!

quote:

Regardless, you guys have been ok the last while. I want to mention that.

I'm going to try harder though, to say less, if not none at all. I need to reign in some of my activities, find my focus, and determine why nothing is lighting the fire much.

I might seem like I have wandered off at this point. Nothing mysterious.

I appreciate your candor. We're here for you too.

< Message edited by AbwehrX -- 12/12/2014 8:02:56 PM >

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 29
RE: Are there too many games.... - 12/12/2014 7:01:08 PM   
AbwehrX

Joe98
quote:

Yes there are too many wargames. It means there are few opponents for each individual game.

I have not played a PBEM game since about April.

Youre AWOL, Sailor! Pick up that mop and swab the deck!

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Are there too many games.... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI