Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seaborne landings out of supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Seaborne landings out of supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 5:55:40 AM   
Kaldadarnes

Hi all,

Whilst I generally don't go in for all this "messing about in boats" business, in he scenario I am currently playing a lovely opportunity to cut supply lines with a seaborne landing has arisen.

However, when i put my troops ashore they are immediately out of supply (I.e. The next turn). Their HQ is both in supply and has merchant vessels assigned...what am I missing?

Sorry - I'm certain this is a dumbass question.

Cheers

K

Omnia Videmus
Post #: 1
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 6:01:30 AM   
ernieschwitz

Unless you loaded that HQ with alot of suppplies and brought it along (I don´t know if you did), or you took a port, of some kind, supply has no way of flowing to your troops....

(in reply to Kaldadarnes)
Post #: 2
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 11:08:47 AM   
Tac2i

One of your first priorities in an invasion is capture a port or build a port, usually the later. To build that port your first wave should include an engineer unit and probably and HQ unit as well.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 4:01:40 PM   
GrumpyMel

What they said..... if you have air superiority over the invasion area and an air transport plane(s) in range, you may be able to provide the invasion forces with supply via air for a few turns until you can establish a proper port for supply to flow. Air supply can work for a few turns in a pinch as long as you can keep air superiority and you aren't dealing with too huge a number of forces on the beachead needing support.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 4
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 6:06:55 PM   
Veni

"what they said" +
SOP for me is to include an engineer unit (size 40+) with the unloaded forces: DDay unload, DDay+1 build port. Just make sure you have the build requirements for a port, which are:
- 80 EP (hence the size 40 engineer unit: it has 80EP avail DDay+1 if it hasn't taken losses/org hits)
- 10 PP
- 60 Raw

This engineer unit is then available to build roads inland to keep supply at the front lines. Checking the supply layer (F5) is always helpful, too.

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 5
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 6:13:27 PM   
Veni

OK for gits'n'shiggles, an example of an (unopposed) landing! Here the invasion fleet approaches on DDay...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Veni)
Post #: 6
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 6:14:15 PM   
Veni

Disembark on DDay!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Veni)
Post #: 7
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 6:15:49 PM   
Veni

DDay+1: Engineer unit builds port ... supply layer turned on, and supply is green :)
Units move inland ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Veni)
Post #: 8
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/16/2014 6:18:40 PM   
Veni

And .... DDay+2: units continue to move inland; engineer builds road behind, allowing armoured unit to move to contact and secure objective. Woo-hoo!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Veni)
Post #: 9
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/17/2014 5:59:10 AM   
Kaldadarnes

Thanks all, that makes sense now, especially Veni - very clear!

One last question, the parent HQ (I.e. The HQ above that which went ashore on DDay) will need cargo ships assigned to it to move supplies to the beachhead?

Thanks

K

Omnia Videmus

(in reply to Veni)
Post #: 10
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/17/2014 5:44:56 PM   
mgaffn1

Speaking of units stuck behind enemy lines, any suggestions on how to make air supply work?

Is it automatic, like land supply? I've got 12 air transports attached to my main HQ, and keep looking to see if they are supplying my subbordinate HQ's stuck behind enemy lines. So far, it doesn't seem to be working...

Is there some sort of action I need to do with the planes?

Post #: 11
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/17/2014 6:50:44 PM   
Twotribes

You have to click on the air transport and then click on the button for air supply then the location you are supplying

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 12
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/17/2014 7:44:54 PM   
Veni

Kaldadarnes: Supply will happen automatically, provided there is a clear path from source HQ; BUT this is subject to Anti-Supply. That said, if you have a parent HQ in a port, you can load it with cargoships to manually ship supplies and troops (also subject to anti-supply); this is good if you want to stock up the child-HQ (also in port) with goodies. Although production can be set directly to any HQ (incl the just-landed one), I like to keep a HQ in a port (not necessarily a parent HQ) with a reserve ready for this purpose.

I drew a pretty picture! Blue circles = HQs, yellow lines = chain of command/(automatic) supply, orange arrows are supplies, etc. manually shipped out to other mid-level HQs (which can then ship forward if they have transport)

mgaffn1: Twotribes is correct. Air supply doesn't happen automatically; with the unit/HQ selected, click on the air supply button (6th from left) which prompts you for the location drop hex ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Veni -- 12/17/2014 8:47:22 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 13
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/18/2014 6:01:12 AM   
Kaldadarnes

I get it. Thanks Veni - much appreciated. First class explanation.

Omnia Videmus

(in reply to Veni)
Post #: 14
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/18/2014 5:21:24 PM   
mgaffn1

Thanks for responses Veni & TwoTribes. I'll detach air transports from HQ & give it a shot.

Problem is, I'm playing an ATG random game, HOI2, and a Panzer Corps game at the same time - sometimes getting game mechanics confused.

Post #: 15
RE: Seaborne landings out of supply - 12/18/2014 8:41:17 PM   
Twotribes

You never need a huge force of transports to resupply to at least yellow level. So I usually use 2 or 4 transports for resupply but then I only resupply one or 2 divisions.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Seaborne landings out of supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI