Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply distribution in 1.08

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Supply distribution in 1.08 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 11:08:33 AM   
loki100

I'm not sure that the supply distribution routine in 1.08 is working as before. Even if the new version is as designed, its having quite an impact. The table below is my supply situation over the last 9 turns. Of these T54 & T55 were run under 1.07 and T56 was the first I received back where the patch had applied.

Broadly the total supply position has improved, on T54 I had 64% of what I notionally needed and my front line units had 80% of their need. As you can see with the patch my total supply position has improved (the volume has increased and demand dropped) to almost 87%. But the supply in unit has gone down to 33%. For many units it is much worse, some only have 1 or 2 supply points and that is having an impact on their morale.

The attached shows a rifle division, more than 10 hexes to the rear on a rail:

My understanding is there is no reason why it shouldn't be receiving its supply allocation. For units in a less ideal position, they are far worse off.

Any reasons?

Post #: 1
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 11:20:54 AM   
carlkay58

If I recall correctly version 1.08 is better about reducing the amount of extra supplies in combat units - especially non-motorized units. The reason is that the non-motorized units were demanding more than they needed and (due to a bug) not using it. That meant that you had extra trucks being required to move the unnecessary supplies in the units when they moved. Version 1.08 then fixed the demand level to what they truly needed AND expended the supply that was supposed to be expended. Since you are looking at units AFTER the supplies are distributed and used, the supply levels have dropped. Since they are not demanding more than they need, the supply levels have dropped some more.

Version 1.08 thus makes it work as it should rather than as it has in the past.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 11:33:06 AM   
Denniss

What's the situation of the 6th Army HQ? Must be a reason it ships out that low amount of supplies.
How big is your global supply store (+ need)?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 12:08:23 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

If I recall correctly version 1.08 is better about reducing the amount of extra supplies in combat units - especially non-motorized units. The reason is that the non-motorized units were demanding more than they needed and (due to a bug) not using it. That meant that you had extra trucks being required to move the unnecessary supplies in the units when they moved. Version 1.08 then fixed the demand level to what they truly needed AND expended the supply that was supposed to be expended. Since you are looking at units AFTER the supplies are distributed and used, the supply levels have dropped. Since they are not demanding more than they need, the supply levels have dropped some more.

Version 1.08 thus makes it work as it should rather than as it has in the past.

thanks for this, so does that mean the reported need for non-motorised units is substantially overstated?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

What's the situation of the 6th Army HQ? Must be a reason it ships out that low amount of supplies.
How big is your global supply store (+ need)?

Its pretty typical of all the army HQs, in fact its better than most as it too is on a rail and to the rear - its why I picked a unit that I'd have suspected should have no problems as opposed to one in a swamp at maximum HQ range and well away from a rail head.

The global situation is fine (or good enough), I have 87% of what I need ie 284k/327k, so its a distribution not a production dynamic

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 4:34:28 PM   
loki100

Sorry to ask more about this but I've put together a new comparison. This shows a unit that didn't move in either turn and the supply etc situation immediately on turn receipt, so I've made no moves or adjustments.

The Abn Brigade is on a rail, next to the HQ and about 5 hexes behind the front.

On T61 it had 9/22 required supplies and on T62 it had 5/22. It used 6 on T61 and 9 in T62 and received 7 and 5 respectively. So 9 (T61 stock)-9 (T62 interturn usage)+5 (T62 interturn receipt) fits to the 5 shown for T62. I guess my confusion is what does the 22 model in this case?

The other 2 brigades are much the same (and located next to the HQ etc)?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 6:23:30 PM   
morvael

Please wait for 1.08.01, it fixes a few things with resource needs and consumption.
However, supply stocks will always be lower due to the fact that they are consumed during logistics phase.
In 1.08 some were reserved for and consumed during movement as well, now all fodder will be substracted during logistics.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 6:29:14 PM   
morvael

Supply needs, especially for infantry, were larger than actual consumption:
1) of the regular needs unit consumed either 50% or 75% (depending on admin roll) - this is changed to a constant of 60% in 1.08.01
2) in case of shortage (less than 100% need on hand) unit consumed less - this reduced chances to get morale increases
3) some parts were reserved and consumed during movement
4) non-motorized units had extra need, presumably fodder for horse-drawn supply wagons, which wasn't used in any way (only the horse-drawn elements like artillery used supplies, half in logistics phase, half was used during movement), leading to them having higher supply % than motorized units

In 1.08 units should stay around 40% of supply need after logistics phase, with no more consumed during movement phase.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 6:32:05 PM   
morvael

I see your global supply stocks are very low. I hope path 1.08 will restore the balance a bit in your favour. I haven't seen so low supply stocks in my games. Perhaps you lost a lot of HI and the change to make HI more important (by reducing their supply production multiplier) was a nasty "surprise" to your forces after patching the game.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 8
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 6:45:02 PM   
morvael

It is a known "feature" of the system, that in case of global shortages there will be some cities (where stocks have to be transported first) and units (in case of multiple units taking supply from the same city) that will be starved. This was alleviated a bit with 1.08, so that if the city will get less, each unit taking supplies from that city will also take less supplies, so that last one in the line will get something, but there was no fix to make sure each city lacks the same percentage of supplies as "global" shows.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 9
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 6:46:45 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

I see your global supply stocks are very low. I hope path 1.08 will restore the balance a bit in your favour. I haven't seen so low supply stocks in my games. Perhaps you lost a lot of HI and the change to make HI more important (by reducing their supply production multiplier) was a nasty "surprise" to your forces after patching the game.

thanks for the explanations.

I've 164 HI, so I don't think its that bad? But yes I was following the usual 1.07 logic of being prepared to loose HI to save armaments production (at least up to a point). My only comparison pts are a couple of AI games when I had around 200-210 HI at this stage.

edit - dumb question but why is global in the screen shots showing as 40% when in the production screen my supply volume (depot+units) is over 85%?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 12/7/2014 7:48:48 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 10
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 6:55:52 PM   
morvael

It's hard to answer this questions with 100% accuracy. Some numbers in the game are off. For example up to 1.08.01 unit supply needs were reduced by the amount consumed, so the % was higher, but then unit requested more during logistics when the true number was calculated. City needs include only industry need and perhaps railyard/port need and population need, but not unit need, thus their stocks will again look as having better % of need than IRL. And the global number calculated during request phase may be worse than it actually is because later units require less supplies as this is based on their location and other conditions, but this is not included in calculating global need.

All in all you have to save more HI now and then there will be no problems. This is again one place where 1.07 "logic" hurts you in 1.08, because 1.08 wanted to counter the fact that HI was deemed useless.

edit: in my game I saved 189 HI and I have no shortages. Maybe something bad happened to you game? Do you have supply stock numbers for all turns?

< Message edited by morvael -- 12/7/2014 7:59:45 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 11
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/7/2014 7:53:53 PM   
Denniss

The tactic to leave HI for capture had always been ahistorical/gamey so now you have to pay the price. AFAIR in 43 the HI facs get a higher modifier so they produce some more supplies.
To conserve some supplies you may want to move some factories producing some stuff you don't want/need to another location, examples would be U-2VS and LaGG aircraft, move just one point and it will take long to repair and to recover to full size. Do the same with Il-2 if they build up a major stockpile.
You would also have to limit offensive operations to certain fronts, not moving the whole frontline at once.

< Message edited by Denniss -- 12/7/2014 8:54:30 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 12
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/8/2014 12:55:52 AM   
carlkay58

Which raises an interesting point in my mind. How nasty will the U-2VS aircraft be with the WitW air system? Think of all those aircraft flying interdiction . . .

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 13
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/8/2014 2:19:53 AM   
Denniss

Dead meat if attacking in daylight, nasty through causing disruption at night. I doubt this disruption will raise interdiction level a lot (if ever).

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 14
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/8/2014 8:25:46 AM   
morvael

further info for loki100: "Global" in the screenshot is supposed to be percentage of free supplies/fuel versus what the units want, where free is the amount present over city requirements which include resources for factories, ports, railyards and people. Once again, new rules for this in 1.08 can cause disturbance in the stocks across cities and these will take some time to settle. Newly started scenarios do not have these problems.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 15
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/8/2014 10:38:25 PM   
loki100

quote:

further info for loki100: "Global" in the screenshot is supposed to be percentage of free supplies/fuel versus what the units want, where free is the amount present over city requirements which include resources for factories, ports, railyards and people. Once again, new rules for this in 1.08 can cause disturbance in the stocks across cities and these will take some time to settle. Newly started scenarios do not have these problems.

thank you (again). Keeping an eye on the global line it seems to be recovering by 1 percentage point every turn even if the ratio on the production screen stays at roughly 87% of need being available. I'll keep an eye on this over the next few turns.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 16
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/10/2014 6:36:55 AM   
morvael

At least I see that "S-Demand store" (I'm not really sure which number on the production screen it is) is smaller every turn after the patch was applied, so the situation improves (albeit slowly). What is "Supply (depot)"? Unit need didn't change much, which is good. If you want to address the issue for the airborne corps, try to move its HQ to a city with a lot of free supplies. If you want to affect global supply store, try to remove as many transports from airbases as you can (to reserve) and damage (by moving) some aircraft factories like the U-2VS. You can also stop supplying the partisans if you have this turned on.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 17
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/10/2014 9:16:48 AM   
loki100

quote:

At least I see that "S-Demand store" (I'm not really sure which number on the production screen it is) is smaller every turn after the patch was applied, so the situation improves (albeit slowly). What is "Supply (depot)"? Unit need didn't change much, which is good. If you want to address the issue for the airborne corps, try to move its HQ to a city with a lot of free supplies. If you want to affect global supply store, try to remove as many transports from airbases as you can (to reserve) and damage (by moving) some aircraft factories like the U-2VS. You can also stop supplying the partisans if you have this turned on.

thanks. The number is the one in brackets related to supply levels in depot. And yes, each turn does seem a bit easier.

I've been actively managing my production by moving a number of air factories, if I have plenty in the pool I've moved one of the factories of a type so that should reduce supply usage there. I've also prioritised the usage of lend lease air as I don't pay for their replacements with my own supply. So hopefully all this will come together.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

The tactic to leave HI for capture had always been ahistorical/gamey so now you have to pay the price. AFAIR in 43 the HI facs get a higher modifier so they produce some more supplies.
To conserve some supplies you may want to move some factories producing some stuff you don't want/need to another location, examples would be U-2VS and LaGG aircraft, move just one point and it will take long to repair and to recover to full size. Do the same with Il-2 if they build up a major stockpile.
You would also have to limit offensive operations to certain fronts, not moving the whole frontline at once.

I heartily agree with the intent here and the extent that the wierd logic of moving 4/7/10 factories was a good trick is now useless. My problem of course was conducting my 1941 evacuations under what was seen as the norm. If the longer term outcome is to limit Soviet supply in the late game so you get the partial and stop start offensives of the real war that is a bonus too.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 18
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/18/2014 11:43:13 AM   
loki100

Just to update this discussion, we have applied the 1.08-1 patch and run a couple of turns and the supply situation is becoming worse. This chart shows the shifts as we applied 1.08 (between 55 and 56) and 1.08.1 (between 64 and 65).

To me, and I claim no depth of understanding, something is going very wrong. Back in T54 I had 65% of all the supplies I needed and the units had 80%. By T64, I had 80% of all the supplies I needed, the depots are full to bursting (95% of their needs) and the front line units are starving (30% of need). Now I accept that some (most) of the growth in the depots is precisely due to non-consumption.

By T66, the overall supply position has settled at 80%, the depots remain full (95%) and the units are now down to under 20%.

I've units, in the rear, on a rail, next to their HQ with 1%.

I don't see how this is just a product of the lower HI multiplier? I realise that global supply is going up as I am not able to consume it, but why are the depots not allocating supply to my combat units?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 12/18/2014 12:44:15 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 19
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/18/2014 12:21:00 PM   
morvael

It is expected that you will see supply in units only a small % of supply required by units, because they consume what they need during the logistics phase and for the entire turn their supply status does not matter.

On the other hand - is your global supply % now > 100%? Do units really get what they want during the logistics phase?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 20
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/18/2014 1:12:15 PM   
loki100

Here's some extra info, this shows the supply reports for a group of units with very low morale across the various supply phases. They are all standard rifle divisions:

So they range from 0% to 22% supply, most are in organised armies a couple are in reserve (I think I detached them the turn before so as to replace them in the front lines by a unit with better morale). If I'm understanding the phase 1 data correctly then 3 received no supply at all, most in the range 25-30. 2 of those that got no supply in phase 1 received a little in phase 2 (these are also the two that are out of command range for their HQ)

This shows the situation for one unit in more detail:

so if I read that properly it received 12% of need in phase 1 (and the unit is on a rail line and close to its HQ) and that has left it with 16 out of a required 102.

I can understand that the global stock is not enough, and that the 1.08 multipliers have made a situation that was perfectly ok, into one of overall supply lack. What I can't understand is why 1.08 is prioritising the retention of scarce supply in depots not in units.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 21
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/18/2014 1:46:35 PM   
morvael

12% is what they had on hand before resupply.

I still see your deliveries are hampered by global supply stock < 100%. This is actually the first time I see it in a game and for such a long time. Make sure you backup those saves, I might need them for debugging.

2 units were out of HQ range and resupplied on their own in phase 2. I wonder what's going on with 8th Army that it didn't give any supplies to 33rd Rifle.

The priority was always with city stocks...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 22
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/18/2014 7:37:00 PM   
morvael

Could you send me the saves from last 1.08.00 turn and the first in 1.08.01 and this one you present on screenshots?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 23
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/19/2014 12:21:10 PM   
morvael

I made an analysis of the files I got from loki100 and here are my findings:

A 42b Rifle Division at full strength requires 102 tons of supply, and will consume 61-62 tons per turn. It also requires 253 tons of ammunition, and we can assume a rough estimate of an average of 20% being expended per turn (I admit this is based on a cursory glance at a few units, not a full analysis). This will result in a requirement of 50 tons of ammo (taken from generic supply stores) per turn. This does not include a potential loss of 50% of ammo that is actually added, which also increases the burden on supply source. This adds up to about ~110 tons of supplies used by a single rifle division per week. This is just 15 tons per day, and that's not much compared with some estimates I saw (they were for German divisions, but they were not 4-5 times larger than Soviet ones, more like 1.5-2 times larger).

You have 11 rifle corps (I count them as 2.5 divisions at this time), 405 rifle divisions (may include mountain and airborne, counted as 1 rifle each, though they are bigger), and 56 brigades (I count them as 0.5 divisions). There are also 14 cavalry corps and 2 cavalry divisions. A full strength corps requires 301 tons of supply and 293 tons of ammo. This gives usage of ~240 tons of supply per week, so each corps counts as 2.20 rifle divisions (and a cavalry division as 0.75). This gives an equivalent of 11*2.5+405+56*0.5+14*2.2+2*0.75=27.5+405+28+30.8+1.5=~493 "rifle divisions" and a consumption of 54230 tons per week. Just from infantry and cavalry, discounting all your HQs, airbases, air groups, armored forces and artillery...

Now let's look at incomes and expenditures: 80500 tons are produced per week and 3000 come from lend lease, meanwhile ~43000 are spent on production, ~9000 on fort building, some ~12000 are converted to ammo, and some ~19000 consumed. This all adds up nicely to 83000. So you are spending about 31000 tons of supplies to support your armed forces, whereas just infantry and cavalry units would require 54000 tons of supplies! No wonder units starve and their morale suffers (even with imperfect distribution to create equal shortages for all parts of the system). You can't afford army of this size with heavy industry that you have.

Obviously there are issues that weren't your fault like following correct 1.7.15 strategy of abandoning most of HI, which damages you now on 1.08. There are also some things that the game could do better, that is: to convert scrapped vehicles to supplies, not armaments (to let them being recycled to the system at a lower level and help in case of shortages); to let the player decide how much to dial down supplies spend by production and fort building (this is now impossible, but maybe I could add a switch for 1.08.02 that would allow it, without having to move factories to damage them in order to slow down production - bear in mind it would be a global switch so all factories and all fort building would be affected this way) in order to give more to the units; to let the players decide how much to dial down the supplies reserved for population, ports, railyards and airbases with level bombers and transports; to let the units access what is actually present in their supply city rather than following global shortage modifiers. Some of these things I could change for 1.08.02. But it doesn't change the fact that you have now too big army for your industry to support.

Why did it turn for worse on 1.08.01?
- due to taking away the 60% limit for rifle units at the frontlines your army has grown considerably (you mentioned 200 000 in one turn) and this increased your shortage significantly (men in the pool do not eat)
- horses eat their whole allotment of fodder per week whether you move or not, this increased consumption for units that do not move by up to half
- units consume at steady rate of 60% needs, whereas with good leaders the average might be previously closer to 50% (it was either 50% or 75%, but chances placed the average probably below 60%).

You must really consider using the MAX TOE function now to reduce most of your army in quiet sectors (do you have those?) to 50-60%. You have to attack less in order not to consume ammunition (includes bombing), which comes from supplies. Consider sending back transports and level bombers to reserve. Do not resupply the partisans. Move some of your less required ground or aircraft factories to damage them and block production for some time to reduce supply use. Do not build new units. Disband some support units. Consolidate armies to use CP to the max, disbanding some extra commands. That should help you survive until 1943, when new multiplier kicks (and no more ammo is lost), which will reduce your problems and let you increase your army size again, without lowering the quality. I actually think the result is pretty accurate now, Soviet army in 1942 still had many of their men starved (they focused on delivering ammo more than food) and the quality was not that good.

This is a combination of 1.7 tactics together with "reckless" 95 morale and logistics setting that is now hurting you, but I don't think it's a fault of the patch. It works correctly (but could be working better and should be more adjustable by the player). I guess most games started under 1.08 will go with 100 morale/logistics and the HI will be properly evacuated leading to no problems at all. And we will have the same situation of large, strong Soviet Juggernaut in 1942 again. For now you can bask in the light of your achievement that was creating a Red Army with shortages (wich isn't easy in WitE as it was in real life).

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 24
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/19/2014 1:40:52 PM   
wac29

I am seeing a similar situation on the German side. Units during the winter were at ~30% of needs even with the rail heads very close.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 25
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/19/2014 1:46:31 PM   
morvael

40% is the correct value. Besides, if you mean First Winter (41-42), then German supply that gets through to units is reduced by a lot in December and (to a lesser extent) January and February.

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 26
RE: Supply distribution in 1.08 - 12/19/2014 4:26:02 PM   
loki100

all I can say is thank you very much for looking at this so carefully

at least in game we are moving to a mud period which might help me adjust without risking being overrun ..

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Supply distribution in 1.08 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI