Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Intelligence report

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Intelligence report Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Intelligence report - 3/31/2001 10:14:00 PM   
Gavris Narcis

I consider that is very real/usefull if in the game might be am intelligence report before any battle/scenario. For example to aproximate with what can atack the enemy, with how many weapons, direction of attack, strategies, etc....and the same things for defences (of course, not an exact informations but an aproximate ones) I think this was a reality in war (if we can imagine the intelligence services for the unit of war: army, divisions, batallions, etc, and even for platoons which can achieves rumors/observations from the battle fields !!!!?????) and it must to be present also in the game. Do you think so ? Or, other versions (I have 2.3) already incorporated this feature in them !?

Post #: 1
- 4/1/2001 10:34:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Wait till 5.0 and the new Mega Campaign comes out. I think it will have what you are seeking. Bruce Semper Fi

(in reply to Gavris Narcis)
Post #: 2
- 4/1/2001 12:49:00 PM   
Figmo

Be careful with that - remember the Americans in the German 1944 December offensive (Battle of the Bulge) - and if Wild Bill says "No tanks are expected in your sector" - you can count on LOTS of them - he's a tricky guy!! :D Intellegence isn't always correct!! :eek: Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 3
- 4/1/2001 1:13:00 PM   
chanman

That's true for mines in a WB scenario too, isn't it?

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

Post #: 4
- 4/1/2001 1:52:00 PM   
Latka

...and the eventual counter-attack, usually from more than one direction. See, we're on to you, Wild Bill :) You've taught me to keep my flanks and rear WELL protected 'cause if I'm playing one of your campaigns / scenarios, I know it's only a matter of time until the enemy launches some kind of offensive against me! -Andy

Post #: 5
- 4/1/2001 5:43:00 PM   
skukko

Some intel-status can be done by writing it into the map. I've thought to do that in my own scenarios, but it would not be precise info of enemy structure. Merely something like enemy's expected way to come in, as they have supplydepot in there and minefields are about in that area to prevent attack from that direction, so you'll go thru there, don't you ? :D Writing info to the map has been under discussion here before. Use search to find it if interested. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 6
- 4/4/2001 5:54:00 AM   
Wild Bill

To quote a statement from "Good Morning Vietnam," "Military intelligence...Now there is a real contradiction in terms!" Sorry to Larry Holt. You are an exception to the rule! I remember well early on how Figmo would test a scenario I did. Everyone was crying. Figmo was smiling. His reply? "Oh, I just flanked 'em and shot 'em to pieces." Sooooooo, after a couple of reports like that, I designed one, put in nearly 100 mines on either flank. I don't do that anymore but it was fun that one time...The devious Kunel =====================

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 7
- 4/4/2001 6:07:00 AM   
Akmatov

Hey Will Bill, don't forget the other side of the coin. Intell can provide all the info to the commander, but if the commander has his head firmly inserted into his preconceptions, it's just waste paper. I had an uncle who served with SHAFE and he claimed he saw a huge build up of German forces dipicted on the SitMap for weekes before the Battle of the Bulge. However, the commanders had thier own ideas about what was possible. Surprise! Loved the story about the mines. Teach us to 'G2' the designer and the the situation!

Post #: 8
- 4/4/2001 7:31:00 AM   
Figmo

LOL - If you can flank 'em - Do It!! If you can't - then Charge!! :eek: I think I really lost my butt on that one - it taught me NOT to mess with the master!! I also remember the Hurtgen forrest battle - The Wild Man was great as usual - when going down a road and hit by an ambush I would back up to the other side of the road and BOOOOM - an even bigger ambush - ARGH!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 9
- 4/5/2001 12:00:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Military Intelligence: While often claimed to be an oxymoron it is really a subtle and complex concept that is hard for the great unwashed to comprehend. It is proper,however, to claim that military intelligence is all WET. Now any who would claim that MI is a contradiction in terms must first correctly state why is it all WET or forever banish themselves to the catagory of the unknowing. LD Holt MAJ, MI (RET) S2 2/66 AR S2 3SFG S2 4POG S2 1/101st ABN(ASSLT) etc.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 10
- 4/5/2001 12:35:00 AM   
USMCGrunt

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt: Military Intelligence: While often claimed to be an oxymoron it is really a subtle and complex concept that is hard for the great unwashed to comprehend. It is proper,however, to claim that military intelligence is all WET. Now any who would claim that MI is a contradiction in terms must first correctly state why is it all WET or forever banish themselves to the catagory of the unknowing. LD Holt MAJ, MI (RET) S2 2/66 AR S2 3SFG S2 4POG S2 1/101st ABN(ASSLT) etc.
I'll stand behind you on this one Larry, AM Marciniak SGT, USMC 2nd Bn, 7th Marines - 29 Palms 13th CIT (Counter Intelligence Team), 1st FSSG - 29 Palms

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

Post #: 11
- 4/5/2001 1:06:00 AM   
Major Ed

Ahh yes, tactical intelligence. How did another comedian put it? "It describes more of what we are seeking than what we possess." It would be nice if the scenario designers could include this as part of their introduction. A quick blurb about the composition of the forces we will face and their posture (aggressive, defensive, etc.) I know my commander and S-3 always wanted to know what to expect (or a least my best estimate) if did one thing over here or something else over there. "What is the enemy going to do?" has always been the $64,000 question. S-2 2/20 SFG(A), Cdr. MI Det. 2/20 SFG(A) MSARNG --------------- "They've got us surrounded, the poor bastards." Ltc (later Gen.)Creighton Abrams

Post #: 12
- 4/5/2001 1:07:00 AM   
Svar

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt: Military Intelligence: While often claimed to be an oxymoron it is really a subtle and complex concept that is hard for the great unwashed to comprehend. It is proper,however, to claim that military intelligence is all WET. Now any who would claim that MI is a contradiction in terms must first correctly state why is it all WET or forever banish themselves to the catagory of the unknowing. LD Holt MAJ, MI (RET) S2 2/66 AR S2 3SFG S2 4POG S2 1/101st ABN(ASSLT) etc.
Larry, If you were with the 101st in the summer of 71 I can vouch for the accuracy of your reports. Every time S2 said there was an NVA battalion on some hill and we assaulted that hill sure enough they were there. Why operations didn't assault the next hill over and let the grunts fight their way over to the suspected position I'll never know. Because thats what we did when we found out that S2 was right. Svar

Post #: 13
- 4/5/2001 3:04:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Svar: Larry, If you were with the 101st in the summer of 71 I can vouch for the accuracy of your reports. ... Because thats what we did when we found out that S2 was right. Svar
Well, I must say that in '71 I was still in High School. I was a company commander, battalion 4 (the horror of it all!), G2 Operations officer and 1st Bde S2 but in '87 to '91. However, I appreciate your comments on my predecessors.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 14
- 4/6/2001 1:52:00 AM   
Tommy

quote:

Originally posted by USMCGrunt: I'll stand behind you on this one Larry, AM Marciniak SGT, USMC 2nd Bn, 7th Marines - 29 Palms 13th CIT (Counter Intelligence Team), 1st FSSG - 29 Palms
USMCGrunt Well it Tommy this, and Tommy that, and Tommy how's your soul. But it's please to walk afore Mr. Atkins when the drums begin to roll. - Rudyard Kipling - Hey, USMCGrunt - you talkin' to me? Tommy ;)

Post #: 15
- 4/6/2001 3:32:00 AM   
Zorfwaddle

quote:

Originally posted by USMCGrunt: I'll stand behind you on this one Larry, AM Marciniak SGT, USMC 2nd Bn, 7th Marines - 29 Palms 13th CIT (Counter Intelligence Team), 1st FSSG - 29 Palms
And Ill back you guys up too.... DIRSUP Misawa Japan Diogenes Station Sinop Turkey Watch Chief NSGA Hanza Okinawa DIRSUP Ft Meade :-)

"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"

Post #: 16
- 4/6/2001 9:44:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Maybe we can create something with a brief text and a map from the Map Thing and make them as an option for campaign play against the AI? Hummm... I wonder...

Post #: 17
- 4/7/2001 10:37:00 AM   
Gavris Narcis

quote:

Originally posted by 5thRecon: Maybe we can create something with a brief text and a map from the Map Thing and make them as an option for campaign play against the AI? Hummm... I wonder...
All I want to say is this: it is good if the game place a intelligence report as feature where you are telled whenever a battle begins what aproximately enemy units you are facing (kind of units and number) !!! This is/was real and give flavour to the game. Leo.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Intelligence report Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI