Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 5:58:04 PM   
kansleri

Is there any real guides on the Internet for waging air or naval assaults? Command's tutorials tell me the basic game mechanics, but I'd like to know what is the textbook approach to a air or naval operation. Propably real manuals are classified, but if there is any, I'd like to know.
Post #: 1
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 6:56:50 PM   
magi

there are a lot of sources..... takes home work.... many folks on this forum can steer you in the right direction.... start with Wikipedia... see baloogan's wiki site... there are many sites on strategic and military studies....
on warfare sims main CMANO page see maga faqs.... somewhere there is an old harpoon document.. that talked about doctrine that was a good summation.....
this is a very intellectual/educational game... the search and desire for knowledge will aid in achieving enlightenment... and you can become Buddha like.... like me... yup....
it is all about managing your assets and resources against an opposing force in a given environment towards success in a defined mission... you manipulate your assets and technology against the opponent in time/space to achieve prevalence.... perty cool huh.....

(in reply to kansleri)
Post #: 2
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 7:56:11 PM   
pepolk0001

There's a lot of very general info out there, probably not too much of what you are looking for. Best bet is to just post your results in the AAR room, or some of your tactics in the war room and specifically ask people for feedback on your ideas.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 3
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 8:02:38 PM   
magi

see..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_tactics

(in reply to pepolk0001)
Post #: 4
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 8:03:23 PM   
kansleri

So, no links? I'd like specific information, but as I am a mortar-nco I wouldn't share if it wouldn't be public.

< Message edited by kansleri -- 12/23/2014 9:15:12 PM >

(in reply to pepolk0001)
Post #: 5
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 9:12:17 PM   
pepolk0001

I can't post links for a few days, but if you google "joint electronic library" there is overall US doctrine. Look in the 3-0 series for Operations. There is a "JEL+" link that says "certificate required" so it might work if you have a mil ID card; there could be more stuff on there. I'd still wager that the most useful info for gameplay is in the community forums though.

< Message edited by pepolk0001 -- 12/23/2014 10:14:03 PM >

(in reply to kansleri)
Post #: 6
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/23/2014 9:30:46 PM   
kansleri

quote:

ORIGINAL: pepolk0001

I can't post links for a few days, but if you google "joint electronic library" there is overall US doctrine. Look in the 3-0 series for Operations. There is a "JEL+" link that says "certificate required" so it might work if you have a mil ID card; there could be more stuff on there. I'd still wager that the most useful info for gameplay is in the community forums though.

I don't have US mil Id because I'm Finnish. If real tactics won't never work in the framework then Command has failed. That doesn't necessarily mean that theoretized tactics *will* work, but they should work more often than my amateur bs.

E: Found the 3-0 doc and will read it.

< Message edited by kansleri -- 12/23/2014 10:32:21 PM >

(in reply to pepolk0001)
Post #: 7
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/24/2014 12:19:38 AM   
thewood1

The search tool on the forum is pretty useful...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/searchpro.asp?phrase=books&author=&forumid=1154&topicreply=both&message=body&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&top=300&criteria=AND&minRank=0&sortMethod=r&submitbutton=+OK+

Just search "books" and a few threads come up.

Can I ask how you know whether "real tactics" work in command or not. A pretty bold statement for someone looking for how to do real tactics

(in reply to kansleri)
Post #: 8
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/24/2014 2:32:31 AM   
magi

^^^ yup yup...

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/25/2014 4:00:03 AM   
rixtertech

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

quote:

Can I ask how you know whether "real tactics" work in command or not. A pretty bold statement for someone looking for how to do real tactics

English is not his first language, but even I could tell that wasn't what he said. There was an "If" at the beginning of his sentence that suggests a supposition is coming. Whoaa, horsey... no need to quarrel.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 10
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/25/2014 10:29:22 AM   
kansleri

I'm sorry, my statement "that if real tactics won't work, then Command has failed" was a maybe a bit harsh and out of proportion. Love the game so far. I was just trying to say that I'd like to test how the textbook approach works in a game aiming for realism. No disrespect meant for the devs or forumites.

(in reply to rixtertech)
Post #: 11
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/25/2014 7:24:09 PM   
pepolk0001

Hey man, it's alright. I can respect the fascination with seeing the real tactics play out, but on the other hand I think that the real joy of playing the game comes from sorting through he chaos and figuring the problem out yourself. That's really what the modern warfighter does anyway.

(in reply to kansleri)
Post #: 12
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/28/2014 12:16:55 PM   
kansleri

As they say: A plan dissolves as soon as first contact is made. I just really do not know how I should use the stuff I have. In Caribbean Crisis - Showdown scenario I have a bunch of F-16s (some with bombs and others in air-to-air loadout) and some ships. By reading Sandy Woodwards book I know that the fleet needs a CAP to protect surface assets. No ships, no amphibious landing. But what I do not know is how to conduct air ops. Venezuelans have Sukhois and they have an SSM site protected with SAMs. Is it the proper course to just throw enough planes to it, that some will pass the air defense and destroy the SSM or is there an other way? What is the textbook approach to a fighter screen? Should they be flying high or low, sensors on or off and what is the proper engagement distance for AMRAAM?

(in reply to pepolk0001)
Post #: 13
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/29/2014 1:22:08 AM   
thewood1

Here is a good wiki page on how a carrier group or surface fleet puts together its components into a battle plan. Its naval-centric, but is a good high level starting point to understand the basics of fleet command. Wiki in general is a good starting source, but also the search function works very well in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Carrier_Group_tactics

Some of the detail about attack profiles and weapon preferences can really only be answered with experience and some research. Mastering any portion of Command means lots of practice and scenario retries. The scenario editor has the best ratio of ease of use to power of almost any wargame out there. In fact you can just play the game in it and would never know. My suggestion is just choose a small scenario in a particular topic area...air combat, missile defense, fleet command, stealth interdiction, etc...and play with it and alter it. After a few play throughs, you'll start to absorb some of the intricacies of the topic and can start applying them to more complex scenarios.

I would not expect to learn a lot by jumping into complex, theater-wide scenarios and struggling to figure out what is happening. I think it was already suggested, but read AARs and watch the tutorial videos as a first step.

(in reply to kansleri)
Post #: 14
RE: Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? - 12/29/2014 1:53:19 AM   
kansleri

Just learned in Caribbean crisis that Venezuelan SAMs have an blind spot. Approached them from behind terrain, before launch go full throttle to release altitude and immediately after drop I order planes to the "deck". Destroyed the SSM site and no planes lost. My decoy/airway clearance patrol group lost a plane however, but hopefully he or she managed to eject. I have a second wave for SAMs, but the SSM was the main objective. I repeat, landing is a go, the landing is green.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Real doctrines to wage air/naval warfare? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI