Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bristol advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Pike & Shot Series >> Bristol advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bristol advice - 12/12/2014 12:18:25 AM   
pete61

Can anyone give some advice on the "Storming of Bristol" scenario. I've lost on the easiest setting repeatedly. I don't seen much option to staying behind the walls and firing with just a rare melee
to try to seal off a penetration. How are others wining this battle?

Pete
Post #: 1
RE: Bristol advice - 12/12/2014 11:48:40 AM   
rbodleyscott

Do you mean winning the scenario or winning the battle?

The battle is more or less impossible to win, the objective is to inflict as many losses on the Royalists as possible before the garrison breaks. If you rout enough of them you win the scenario (even though Bristol is lost).

Historically, the losses inflicted on them at the storming of Bristol were a major factor in the poor performance of the Cornish units later in the campaign. They had had enough.

< Message edited by rbodleyscott -- 12/12/2014 12:51:03 PM >

(in reply to pete61)
Post #: 2
RE: Bristol advice - 12/14/2014 5:37:14 PM   
pete61

I mean winning the scenario. Inflict 40% before suffering 25%, if I remember the numbers corretly.
I don't think I've ever routed over 15% of the attckers before reaching my limit.

(in reply to pete61)
Post #: 3
RE: Bristol advice - 12/14/2014 11:35:47 PM   
rbodleyscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete61

I mean winning the scenario. Inflict 40% before suffering 25%, if I remember the numbers corretly.
I don't think I've ever routed over 15% of the attckers before reaching my limit.

You need to concentrate fire as much as you can on individual units, not spread it evenly. Try to rout a unit before moving your fire to the next unit, and so on.

< Message edited by rbodleyscott -- 12/15/2014 12:39:22 AM >

(in reply to pete61)
Post #: 4
RE: Bristol advice - 12/28/2014 3:12:20 AM   
shawkhan2

I won this battle on the second attempt when I realized that you could not just sit there and defend.
You need to choose one of the smaller assault forces to disperse. I chose the one on the right. I deployed my pike units, parliamentary horse, clubmen and a few of the light guns, along with all the extra muskets I could spare.
I deployed most of my detached shot in the fortress, abandoning most of the entrenchments. The light entrenchments especially are nothing but a deathtrap. Attacking quickly before the other forces became a factor, I was able to wipe out out that force. My musket fire from the main fortress was able to break several of the pike and shot units.
Won the scenario handily.

(in reply to rbodleyscott)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Pike & Shot Series >> Bristol advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI