Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type nuclear propulsion?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type nuclear propulsion? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type nucle... - 12/29/2014 1:05:49 PM   
mbar

I have been surfing for info about Project Orion ever since watching the SyFy mini-series Ascension. I hadn't realized just how close we were to actually building one of these ships. I always thought it was just a concept idea ever since I first heard about it on Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV show.

Can anyone recommend any good books or stories that have ships based on this technology? It would be great to find an alternate history story where Project Orion didn't get cancelled.

Thanks in advance!

< Message edited by mbar -- 12/29/2014 2:08:40 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type n... - 12/29/2014 8:02:46 PM   
Harry2

"Footfall" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

Note that the Orion type spacecraft in this novel is not a major part of the storey until near the end (which it is vital in bringing about). However, since these are two of the very best SF writers in the business, if you like SF then "Footfall" is a great read even if it had no Orion type ship in it.

Regards

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type n... - 12/31/2014 4:12:07 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

John Ringo's 'Troy Rising' series. They use Orion type propulsion to move their asteroid bases around. Not a major part of the story, but there.

Live Free or Die

Citadel

The Hot Gate

(in reply to Harry2)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type n... - 1/6/2015 3:34:14 PM   
ReadeB

The Martian by Andy Weir

Puts the whole "colonization" technology into perspective.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type n... - 1/7/2015 1:06:27 PM   
mbar

Thank you all! I've been checking out all of these books you've suggested and they look like great stories. Footfall looks just about perfect with the Michael battleship.

(I had made a design very similar to Michael in the game Space Engineers. It had a large shield in front with the weapons just peaking over the top of the forward shield. I also arranged the decks perpendicular to the engine direction to simulate the thrust being used as gravity. I found schematics for Michael here. It was gratifying to see my design verified in Michael as I had not seen it before.)

< Message edited by mbar -- 1/7/2015 2:17:29 PM >

(in reply to ReadeB)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> OT: Recommend fiction based on Project Orion type nuclear propulsion? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI