Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/28/2014 10:44:49 PM   
Rankorian

I would like to mention that this game has one of the best series of intro scenarios that I have seen--for this type of game.

"Valkie" is the training wheels--work on it until one does well on normal.

Then "Road to Minsk", which shows how breathtaking the movement of units can be. I have "F12" anxiety syndrome--hard to actually push that button. But, after hours of looking at the training manuals on this board, and hours making the first turn, I was able to push that button.

Much easier training curve than WITP.

I realize "Road to Lenningrad" may be the next stepping stone. But I have all the WITE expansions, and is there another, shorter, scenario in the expansions that would be even better?

I want to move to the GC slowly. For one reason, the improvements are still coming.

And for those that think the game is "too easy" against the AI: I am reminded when I first learned chess, or when I was teaching people that game. Newbies had trouble winning even if they had an overwhelming advantage--they could not figure out how to checkmate the other side. Similarly, even if the AI was not good--and I think it actually may be reasonably good--just getting the mechanics right to win a "Road to Minsk" is not easy, and will take, for us newbies, hours and hours.

I think it is safe to say that any computer game, after learning its quirks, is boring after awhile. But don't forget that initial excitement! Don't you envy us new ones?

Number one principle: The inherent worth and dignity of all people.
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/29/2014 2:59:45 AM   
jwolf

To prepare for the GC, or at least the 1941 part of it, I recommend playing each of Road to Leningrad, Moscow, and Dnepropetrovsk (that is, north, center, and south respectively). That will give you a good idea of what you need to do as the Axis during the Barbarossa part of the GC.

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/29/2014 3:26:01 AM   
Rankorian

How about any of the Don to the Danube, Lost Battles scenarios, to take it even at a slower pace.

< Message edited by Rankorian -- 12/29/2014 4:29:31 AM >

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/29/2014 8:25:43 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rankorian

How about any of the Don to the Danube, Lost Battles scenarios, to take it even at a slower pace.

jwolf's advice is good as a basis to move onto the campaign. I'd do Leningrad next as the unit density is not too high.

There are some gems in the Don/Lost Battles scenario lists, especially those for mid/late war. I can't remember the exact titles but the one that deals with the post-Kursk Soviet offensive is good and the one that deals with the Soviet invasion of the Balkans is a real challenge for both sides.

Not only are these good fun in their own right, but they will give you an insight into tactical and operational challenges in the later stages of a campaign game.

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/29/2014 10:56:06 AM   
Phoenix100

I have learned this game (to the extent I have - I'm only just starting)on Case Blue Phase 1. I think it's a great scenario, only 3 turns, yet it can be challenging, for sure, to get your forces into both objectives (as Axis), even on 'easy', when you first start out. There is a good, quick AAR of it somewhere in here which points out what you need to do to make things easier and for ages I struggled (because reading manuals is hard work) before I read this AAR and learned about assaulting across rivers and the penalties involved (obvious, right?). So, you have to look to get units across the river to the other side of Voronezh, just nth of the city, to have a good chance of success. I've played it about ten times, I think, tweaking and tweaking the order of attacks and movement. Fun to do because it's so small. I think it's in the Don to Danube pack.

I started on Leningrad after that, but then gave up that and dived into the GC. Why not? You can take as long as you want with each move. I found the operational boot camp tutorial - it's in the wiki - superb and indispensable. It goes through the start of Road to Leningrad and I would strongly recommend it if you're going to do that.

Peter

< Message edited by phoenix -- 12/29/2014 11:58:58 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/30/2014 3:53:05 AM   
Rankorian

Case Blue is just what I had decided to do! It looks as though there is some defensive in depth, and more challenging.

I have read the BootCamp. But, again, low number of turn scenarios is where I want to start. Seems as though there are a few in the expansion packs.

As a preference, do I want to take Lenningrad for the first time as a "Road to...", or do I want to practice with other scenarios and try to take it on, the first time, in a GC. Fun stuff.

Edit: It looks somewhat like "Road to Minsk": Turn 1, surround a bunch of Soviets. Turn 2, reduce the pockets, causing a lot of surrenders. Turn 3: go for the kill. I am going to try Normal difficulty, FOW on--my first time trying that.

A good thing about this game--not hard enough for you? Jiggle the settings to make it harder.

< Message edited by Rankorian -- 12/30/2014 5:24:55 AM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/30/2014 1:00:48 PM   
micheljq

Does someone know what exactly is the Campaign called "Sudden death" in Lost Battles? It's a reboot of the WitE campaign but what are the differences here?

Thank you,

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk - 12/30/2014 1:20:04 PM   
carlkay58

Sudden Death is a variant which checks the VPs at different times of the campaign and will grant a decisive victory to one side or the other if the VPs are outside a specific range. The scenario notes should have the specifics as to the dates and VP ranges.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Newbie--happy. Road to Minsk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI