Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Invincible units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Invincible units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invincible units - 12/30/2014 4:22:19 AM   
Mickrocks201

An interesting aspect I have noticed is that in many cases once a unit HOLDS an attack it becomes invincible. I have attacked a small CV 1 unit multiple times with ever larger forces in the course of a turn and it stands it ground every time. It is as if it gets stronger after each attack instead of weakening. Granted in the initial attack the unit may have been stronger than the CV 1 shown, but after 2 or 3 attacks the Intel on it should be clear. Even when attacked by 2 full strength Armor divisions the regiment size unit will still hold. I just get so if I get a hold on an attack and can't bring extreme odds against the unit... I just move on. I really can screw up a break thru when you have one regiments ZOC gumming up the works and you expended a few corps trying to dislodge it. I am not talking about a unit in a town either ... Clear hex not depot.

< Message edited by mickrocks -- 12/30/2014 5:25:48 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 6:39:34 AM   
KenchiSulla

Dug in? Hasty attack? Support units? What were the final odds?

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 2
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 8:30:44 AM   
Baelfiin

It could happen but need more info to really be able to explain why or determine if something not right.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 3
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 9:04:45 AM   
Jajusha

Check the combat detail and see what is happening.

Look at initial and modified CVS, final odds. Remeber that leaders have an impact in combat. Finally, check what elements are causing losses and at what range.

Per example, in this attack, from a base 430 (43 CV) i was able to commit 298 (30CV) to the fight, while the brits lost 2/3rd of their initial CV (units not fighting, leaders checks, low ammo, etc etc).
I can also check that my near 40 tiger tanks didn't even fire a shot, while the Marder II got into a good position and poped 11 british tanks at 700m

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 4
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 9:16:06 AM   
Baelfiin

That's not a screenshot of the attack you originally posted about it it? Those tigers looked like they committed from reserves btw

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Jajusha)
Post #: 5
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 9:38:52 AM   
HMSWarspite

? Jajusha wasn't the original poster.

Also, those who were complaining at low retreat losses need to note the losses on the British side: 24000 men, 250 guns and 170 tanks.That counts as a major reverse in anyone's book! A rout indeed...

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 6
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 9:51:10 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: mickrocks

An interesting aspect I have noticed is that in many cases once a unit HOLDS an attack it becomes invincible. I have attacked a small CV 1 unit multiple times with ever larger forces in the course of a turn and it stands it ground every time. It is as if it gets stronger after each attack instead of weakening. Granted in the initial attack the unit may have been stronger than the CV 1 shown, but after 2 or 3 attacks the Intel on it should be clear. Even when attacked by 2 full strength Armor divisions the regiment size unit will still hold. I just get so if I get a hold on an attack and can't bring extreme odds against the unit... I just move on. I really can screw up a break thru when you have one regiments ZOC gumming up the works and you expended a few corps trying to dislodge it. I am not talking about a unit in a town either ... Clear hex not depot.

more from my experience in WiTE, but this should be valid in WiTW as well. If an attack fails, the attacking units build up quite a lot of fatigue and disruption. This doesn't always show in the printed CV (though WiTW is a lot better in this regard). Equally the winner has gained a morale point and the losers lost.

so quite often after a failed attack, your original attacking units are in a bit of a mess. Sometimes you have no choice, or the enemy is also on the edge of collapse and renewing the attack can work fantastically well, but often if you renew you are chucking in already tired and disrupted troops.

In WiTE, the usual solution is to bring fresh units to the battle and attack, but then both sides in that game often have such fresh units to hand (harder in WiTW with the relative lack of on map units).

Equally in WiTE, with the micro control of the air war, you can often hit a stubborn defender with a few extra air attacks to weaken them a bit.

In general, I'd say go around or wait rather than batter your head against a brick wall. Also I'm slowly getting better at targetting airpower in WiTW, if you think you are going to breakthrough in a given hex and open up a corridor you can concentrate your tactical ground attacks into that sector so anything there (or that moves there) is already weakened.

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 7
RE: Invincible units - 12/30/2014 9:59:28 AM   
RedLancer

Don't forget the 'hold at all costs' rules for invasion hexes with Temp Ports.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Invincible units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI