Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/1/2015 7:27:03 PM   
hondo1375

I've just started playing this, but I'm having a bit of problem getting some planes to do what I want them to do.

First, I'm trying to get the Corsairs to come within Shrike range of the SAM, fire, and then head away - basically operating in stand-off. I've tried a few mission settings, but they seem to fire the Shrikes then proceed toward the SAMs to try and shoot them with cannons. How do I stop this behavior? I tried both ground strike mission and SEAD patrol mission.

Also, the jamming aircraft doesn't seem to hang around, but goes RTB once it approaches the target.

I guess I'm missing something obvious.

First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
Post #: 1
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 3:29:35 AM   
Casinn

send the jammer separate on a support mission and it will just orbit til bingo fuel.

Make sure the ROE is set to maintain standoff for the corsairs.

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 2
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 10:08:41 AM   
Solaristics

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casinn
Make sure the ROE is set to maintain standoff for the corsairs.

Thanks for the reply. It is set to standoff, that's what's confusing me.

(in reply to Casinn)
Post #: 3
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 11:50:04 AM   
Pergite!

IIRC the Stand-off option is only implemented for ships. If you have "ignore Winchester" on in the mission doctrine for the Corsairs then they will go in an strafe when they lose their main armament. If that option however is unchecked, then they will RTB as soon as those Shrikes get launched.

(in reply to Solaristics)
Post #: 4
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 4:19:10 PM   
Casinn

oops, I knew that, sorry for the bad advice. Ty Pergite.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 5
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 4:57:23 PM   
Solaristics

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pergite!
If you have "ignore Winchester" on in the mission doctrine for the Corsairs then they will go in an strafe when they lose their main armament. If that option however is unchecked, then they will RTB as soon as those Shrikes get launched.

I'm not sure what's happening as I don't have "ignore Winchester" set. I'll need to run it again tonight and see if I can provide some more information.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 6
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 5:49:49 PM   
kylania

Mine were set to RTB on Winchester and they still did a strafing run, odd. The main problem I had was all the planes attacked the same two targets leaving the other SAMs operational as I didn't notice and sent my strike aircraft straight into them! :)

Another hint, expand the map out and click on the NAS Fallon (Training) icon farther northwest instead of the closer icon for NAS Fallon (Actual Location) which doesn't have any aircraft! That confused me for a while.

Post #: 7
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/2/2015 9:03:51 PM   
Solaristics

OK, so I ran a test using one Corsair as follows:

1. First test I set up a Land strike mission and RoE set to RTB on Winchester and after firing the Shrikes the Corsair kept heading toward the target. It evaded several vampires after firing, but would resume course toward the target each time. It was finally destroyed before reaching strafing range.

2. Second test was a SEAD patrol, same settings, same result. (The patrol area was outside SAM range, but the option to investigate targets outside area was set.)

Shrikes are Fire and Forget as far as I am aware, so these is no need for the plane to remain involved after firing.

There must be some way to stop this behaviour - I just want the plane to fire its Shrikes at extreme range then head home.

P.S. Welcome to the forums kylania!

< Message edited by Hondo -- 1/2/2015 10:06:23 PM >

Rolling cold wargaming dice since 1974.

Post #: 8
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/3/2015 3:01:39 AM   
mikmykWS

Can you post the file so we can take a look at what you're doing?

Thanks!

Mike

Post #: 9
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/3/2015 9:16:15 PM   
ljdramone

The A-7 Corsairs in the air tutorial are armed with CBU-59 cluster bombs in addition to the Shrikes, so I don't think they're "winchester" until they've dropped the CBUs. You can check their loadout in the Air Operations window.

In theory you want to knock out the SAM radars with Shrikes, then attack whatever's left at the SAM site with CBUs. Be careful -- I don't think any of the SAMs (SA-2, SA-3, SA-6) can launch missiles using optical guidance (without radar), but the unit database says the SAM units have some SA-7 Strela shoulder-fired missiles available to shoot at you if you get too close.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 10
RE: A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial - 1/3/2015 11:49:20 PM   
Solaristics

Thanks for your comments. I went into the editor and changed the load out to exclude the cluster bombs and it sort of worked. I had 3 planes set on SEAD patrol, and 3 on land strike. The 3 on patrol fired their Shrikes then RTB'ed. One on strike did the same, but the two others didn't fire at all and just kept heading toward the target. One was shot down and the other just over flew the target without firing. Quite strange.

Also, in the cases of the firing planes, they waited until they were nearly half their maximum distance before firing - is there any way to trigger firing at maximum range without having to do it manually?

(in reply to ljdramone)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> A couple of issues messing around with the tutorial Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI