Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More PBEM oddities

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> More PBEM oddities Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More PBEM oddities - 3/3/2003 9:12:56 AM   
tracer

I figured the non-shifting 81mm mortars were a one-in-a-million occurence, but now something else 'strange' happened in the same PBEM. I had a US bazooka team (from an airborne recon squad) that lost a man; as it fired its last HE round at a fleeing squad the carbine in slot-2 also fired. When I clicked on the target squad again, [I]crack[/I]...the one man team fired its slot-2 weapon. Is this guy one of those multi-armed Hindu gods? :confused:

I'm not getting any security violation warning, but I'm starting to think I have a corrupted file somewhere. The only solution I can come up with is that the battle is very large (14,100 pts per side, rarity off, H2H) and it takes place in 9/49, so maybe some units are acting buggy. Any ideas?

Jim NSB
Post #: 1
- 3/4/2003 7:17:16 AM   
Jack

So what your saying is that you wanted him to fire HE first and not the carbine? How many men left in the bazooka squad? Maybe there is a minimum requirement of personnel?
I ran into problems with the mortars too but not this game.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 2
- 3/4/2003 10:25:00 AM   
tracer

If an infantry unit becomes depleted thru combat losses and has less men remaining than weapons' slots, it will not (should not!) be able to fire those weapons. In other words if a standard infantry squad only has 3 men remaining it will not fire its slot-4 weapon....if it has only 2 men left it cannot fire the weapons in slots 3 & 4. If there's only a single man left the unit can only fire its slot-1 weapon. Usually a squad will disperse before this becomes apparent, but not always.

Is it possible that bazookas are classified as AT guns? Could that explain what I'm seeing?

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 3
- 3/4/2003 10:18:05 PM   
Bing

We can't be sure without testing it both ways. But ... are we thinking this might be something that happens in H2H and not in plain vanilla v7.1?

Your outline of the game routine viz weapons firing is the way I always thought it went in 7.1. And AFAIK it is what I see happening when I am playing v7.1.

There is the possibility Recon status confers a bit of superhuman ability on the unit - maybe try a Zook team without Recon status, get the head count whittled down to one each and see what happens.

Mess with a game engine, you can start seeing odd results.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 4
- 3/4/2003 11:55:58 PM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]We can't be sure without testing it both ways. But ... are we thinking this might be something that happens in H2H and not in plain vanilla v7.1?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Bullseye! I was thinking that if this [I]was[/I] an H2H-only phenomenon I should mention it to Panzer Leo. I can't reliably test this under v7.1 since I use my installation of v7.1 as a 'workshop' where I do editing, so its been heavily altered.

I know other units in H2H follow the standard 'one man, one slot' rule...the 2-man GE flamethrower team behaves as expected: eliminate a guy and it cannot fire its slot-2 rifle. Does 'elite' or 'recon' status give a unit the ability to over ride the one man, one slot rule?

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 5
- 3/5/2003 12:23:05 AM   
Bing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B] Does 'elite' or 'recon' status give a unit the ability to over ride the one man, one slot rule? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know - am running a campaign right now and don't want to stop to do a lot of tests. Keep this bumped up to the top, I'm sure there are people who know the answer and will eventually reply. The topic has come up before, but so long ago I don't have the foggiest how to search the archives for it - what key words would retrieve the thread is what I really mean.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> More PBEM oddities Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI