Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 2:50:54 AM   
wdolson

I think the German thinking was that if the UK was out of the war, the US would drop out too. The US would have had a difficult time fighting Germany if the UK sued for peace. Stalin was too paranoid to allow a large US force into the USSR and there were no other non-British places where the US could use as a base of operations within any reasonable range of Germany.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 121
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 3:13:04 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
I have seen a couple of calls to shut it down. Opinions?

Bill

Bill, thank you for asking for opinions. I don't think there's a need to lock it at this time.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 122
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 3:17:11 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

For me the weakest link in the Pearl Harbor conspiracy is, yes it got us into a war, but with the wrong enemy. It was the United Kingdom that FDR wanted to come to the aid of, and Nazi Germany he wished to fight and in many ways was already fighting in the North Atlantic. However, to the the eternal bewilderment of world history, Hitler, although he was under no treaty obligation to do so (as if treaties mattered to Hitler anyway) declares war on the United States a few days later.

Therein lies the rub. Under the terms of the Axis Tripartite pact, the parties were required to come to the assistance of each other ONLY if being attacked. Germany had no obligation, moral OR legal to come to the aid of their ally by declaring war on the US. That's what makes it so inexplicable.

After all, why borrow a new enemy (and a great big one) when you haven't even beaten the enemies you already have? Why toss a new weight into the scales, one with the world's largest industrial base by a considerable margin? Why ask for trouble? More to the point, why solve President Roosevelt's political problems for him? FDR saw Nazi Germany, not Imperial Japan, as the gravest threat to democracy, but even this wiliest of U.S. politicians knew it was going to be difficult to get an American public outraged by the "sneak attack" on Pearl Harbor into a war against Germany.

You could argue that the last thing Roosevelt needed was a war in the Pacific. The administration had been unwilling to go to war over China and mistakenly believed that it could deter or retard a Japanese advance into Southeast Asia via the retention of powerful naval forces in Hawaii, the imposition economic sanctions, and the deployment of long-range bombers to the Philippines. It presumed realism and rationality on the part of the Japanese and failed to understand that sanctions it imposed upon Japan in the summer of 1941 were tantamount to an act of war.

I've yet to see a conspiracy theory that explains Hitler's inexplicable and rash decision that not only took his own high command by surprise, but got FDR out from over a political barrel. It's not like the sort of decision you could just automatically depend on from a man, who up to that point had been strenuously avoiding war with the US.

Good points.

I think sometimes dictators get too caught up in their failed foreign policies and wind up being 'too clever by half' without the checks and balances. Hitler (and his declaration of war against the US) was certainly one example. Imperial Japan (with their too clever by half efforts to time the declaration of war-oopsy!) another. I think we can see other present day examples of dictatorial powers that take themselves a step too far and engage the wrath of too many enemies at once when they really didn't need to do it.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 123
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 3:20:09 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
If he had left them there a bit longer, the UK would have been in trouble, though probably not knocked out of the war.

Not quite. The Allied shipping losses, even at the height of the U-boat war, were never really enough to seriously threaten the UK. Read Blair's "Hitler's U-boat War" volume 1 for additional information. Even at the most dire, something like 95% of convoyed ships heading from North America to the UK (and back) got through.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 124
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 5:37:46 AM   
Hyacinth

The carrriers dont look to be out of harms way, they are separated and could get attacked also.
Their location is proof against a conspiracy and not for one.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 125
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 7:53:20 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Coming late to the party, recent events at the place I live have kept me from the forum.

Just a few comments:

I knew just from reading the subject line on the main forum which turn the topic would take...

First phrase of the OP after the introductory remarks confirmed my fears:

quote:

"Well we all know that the american population was against any intervention into the war..."

Well, most of us know that pre-war Gallup polls show that in the summer of 1941, the US was NOT strongly isolationist. The isolationists were just a minority with a loud voice. See http://ibiblio.org/pha/Gallup/Gallup%201941.htm

Interviewing Date 8/21-26/41

Survey #245-K Question #13

Should the United States take steps now to keep Japan from becoming more powerful, even if it means risking a war with Japan?

Yes................................ 70%

No................................ 18

No opinion......................... 12

But I do not want to bother revisionists with too many facts - in their mind, such data has been "fabricated" anyway!

Conspiracy thesis can be quite entertaining. I have run across a thesis claiming that a Dutch (!) destroyer operating in the North Pacific sighted KB on the way to PH and radioed a warning that was ignored at PH. Of course no name of the ship was given, no explanation what business a Dutch destroyer had up there or how the DD got there, given the limited range of DDs in general and Dutch DDs available at the time of PH in particular. Good laugh!

On the question why Germany declared war on the US: Part of the rationale was that Germany expected war with the US, given the situation in the North Atlantic - and according to German foreign minister Ribbentrop, "a great power [i.e. Germany] does not permit any power to make war on it. It declares war itself."

And finally:

quote:

1. How can I be a sailor? You ever seen a canoe with a sail? (Large Slow Target might have, come to think of it....)

Well, I have seen one with a bowsprit - or was it a ram bow?

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 1/9/2015 8:59:48 AM >

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 126
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 8:34:35 AM   
wdolson

The story of the Dutch DD sounds conflated with the actual encounter between the KB and the Russian freighter Uritsky which was headed for Vladivostok from the US carrying US war equipment. There are rumors that the Uritsky radioed Russia, but the Russians had promised they would stay neutral with Japan and the Russians didn't warn the US about it. I don't know what went down diplomatically between the USSR and Japan about it. It probably was in everyone's best interests to keep quiet about it, the Urinsky was one unarmed (or lightly armed) freighter encountering a large fleet so they wanted to just slink off, the Russians didn't want war with Japan, but would have liked to see the US drawn into the war, and the Japanese wanted to keep the operation secret.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 127
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 8:53:48 AM   
LoBaron

Hi desicat.

I admit to be biased at the moment a book states to 'tell the truth about xyz' when the content and conclusions are radically different from well established historical research. And by radically different I do not mean different in a sense like 'Shattered Sword' debunks some myths about the Battle of Midway.

I have not read the book you are referring to either, but filed through the reviews and some of the links provided by reviewers. It was pretty easy to notice a pattern depending on whether it is a positive (indiscriminate praise and anger about the conspiracy) or negative review (reviews that took additional sources into account and verified the sources provided by the author and his interpretation of those sources - which then are nearly exclusively and unsurprizingly negative reviews).

Below is an example of a review I personally tend to agree with most, please also note that there are several links provided to professional reviews - all cut by amazon (as is their usual policy), all sharing the sentiment of the quoted reviewer.

I have readded some links below for your readig pleasure.

quote:

By
W. D ONEIL "Will O'Neil" (Falls Church, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor (Paperback)
This has become the most successful of Pearl Harbor revisionist books, in part no doubt because Mr. Stinnett (a former newspaper photographer before he hit it big with his book) has promoted it so enthusiastically. Many people have been very favorably impressed by it, as legions of reviews here attest. Many others have been critical, but Mr. Stinnett has been indefatigable in responding to criticism.

His view is that then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt, along with many other key people, conspired to deprive the military commanders in Oahu (Admiral Husband E. Kimmel, commanding the Pacific Fleet, together with Lieut. General Walter C. Short, commanding the Army ground and air forces in the Hawaiian Islands) of highly specific warnings regarding the Japanese Kido Butai or First Air Fleet and its approach to Hawaii. Specifically, he contends that the Japanese transmitted a number of messages which were intercepted and decrypted by various agencies, which on presidential orders buried the information. He identifies at least eight senior naval officers (most of whom went on to distinguish themselves in World War II) as having betrayed their nation and service in this fashion.

Mr. Stinnett's understanding of the technical aspects of communications intelligence and codebreaking has been challenged as gravely faulty by a number of people. Mr. Stinnett invariably responds very vigorously in tones which impress many. If one examines these responses closely, however, they seem always to involve one or more of the following techniques: (1) Insistent reiteration of claims already decisively disproven, with no new information to buttress them, (2) A "Strawman" response in which Mr. Stinnett misstates the criticism so that he can denounce it, (3) A claim of superior knowledge, which he attributes to sources which he will not identify clearly or which cannot be checked.

While I am a former naval officer, my own professional knowledge of the details of communications intelligence is limited (although much greater than that of Mr. Stinnett). I have queried a number of officers and civilians who have devoted entire careers to the subject, however. Few of them have thought it worth their while to spend time reading the book, but among those who have I have heard nothing but scorn for what they regard as Mr. Stinnett's unfounded pretensions to knowledge of the subject. Many of his claims are entirely nonsensical in technical terms, according to them.

Inasmuch as Mr. Stinnett has gone to such trouble to throw sand over his tracks (and in the eyes of critics), it is best for those who are curious to read for themselves what his critics have said. Several good reviews of his book are available on the Web, including the following. All originally appeared in print:

-- A review by David Kahn, all but universally regarded as the world's foremost authority on the history of codes and ciphers (see his Web site at [...]) , appeared in New York Review of Books for 2 Nov 2000. It is available on the Web, but only to subscribers or by a payment of a $3 fee, at
[...]. Available without charge, however, is an exchange between Messrs. Stinnett and Kahn which illustrates the pattern of interaction between this author and those who criticize his work:
[...]

-- Another review, this by Philip H. Jacobsen, a retired Navy cryptologic officer who served in World War II as an intercept and direction finder operator as well as an analyst of Japanese naval and naval air communications." It has been made available (with some added comments) on the Web site of the U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterans Association at
[...]. Lieut. Commander Jacobsen has published several related articles providing much additional interesting information. Of these, "Pearl Harbor: Who Deceived Whom?" is available at
[...], while "Foreknowledge of Pearl Harbor? No!: The Story of the U. S. Navy's Efforts on JN-25B" is at
[...]

-- An article by Stephen Budiansky on "Closing the Book on Pearl Harbor," summarizing newly-unearthed material and relating it to what is known about the attack. It is available at either of two places:
[...]
or
[...]
Mr. Budiansky is a writer with a mathematics background who has made a deep study of codebreaking. His Web site is [...]

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead," Benjamin Franklin warned. He knew nothing of modern electronic communications but he would certainly have scoffed at Mr. Stinnett's vast conspiracy, involving nine named individuals (all dead and unable to speak for themselves, of course) and requiring the more-or-less active support of dozens more, high and low. What could have bound men to it in the first place, and convinced them all to carry the secret to their graves? There simply is no plausible explanation. None of the officers were among President Roosevelt's friends or political supporters. Their oath of loyalty was to the office of the president, acting in his lawful capacity, not to the person of a man asking them to support him in treason against the nation and betrayal of the Navy. This could only have worked if every one of these men was totally different in character from the thousands of senior naval officers I have known and worked with over the past four decades and more. I simply cannot believe it, and so cannot believe Mr. Stinnett's work.

It's a nasty business, this traducing the memories of dead patriots on the very thinnest of excuses and misleading new generations so as to make them ever more cynical and suspicious. To what end? Profit? Mad obsession? Hatred of our country and its institutions?

William D. O'Neil
Captain, USNR (Ret.)

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2000/nov/02/did-roosevelt-know/

http://www.pearlharborattacked.com/cgi-bin/IKONBOARDNEW312a/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=38;t=27

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=h-diplo&month=0511&week=e&msg=4b4t5Dg3fvVLP0O9zJU2hg&user=&pw=

There is also detailed information available about the US ability to read JN-25B. A good example is
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/233065935_FOREKNOWLEDGE_OF_PEARL_HARBOR_NO!_THE_STORY_OF_THE_U._S._NAVY'S_EFFORTS_ON_JN-25B
(You can register for free and read the whole extract).

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/01611190008984236
quote:

ABSTRACT

Recent attempts to resuscitate well-worn conspiracy theories concerning the Pearl Harbor attack are based on selective reading of documentary evidence and ignore conclusive, recently declassified materials which show that JN-25 and other Japanese naval codes were not being read by U. S. Navy codebreakers prior to the Japanese attack.

The list goes on and on.

Basically it all again comes down to some basic requirements for all conspiracy theories:

They require the audience to be either unable and/or unwilling to doublecheck on the sources provided by the author of the theory, to be either unable and/or unwilling to read and understand sources that contradict the theory, and are incapable and/or unwilling to verify the correctness of the author´s logical chain of arguments and his conclusions.

Sadly, the above audience is usually easily numerous enough to keep an uncountable number of conspiracy theories - much more abstruse than this one - alive, long after they have been solidly debunked by professionals. And since most of em are entertaining (and provide an explanation that fits the wordviews of some of the audience), they continue to generate money - which makes them self-supporting.

Wont ever change. Does not make them more credible.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 128
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 2:03:27 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Coming late to the party, recent events at the place I live have kept me from the forum.

Just a few comments:

I knew just from reading the subject line on the main forum which turn the topic would take...

First phrase of the OP after the introductory remarks confirmed my fears:

quote:

"Well we all know that the american population was against any intervention into the war..."

Well, most of us know that pre-war Gallup polls show that in the summer of 1941, the US was NOT strongly isolationist. The isolationists were just a minority with a loud voice. See http://ibiblio.org/pha/Gallup/Gallup%201941.htm

Should the United States take steps now to keep Japan from becoming more powerful, even if it means risking a war with Japan?

But I do not want to bother revisionists with too many facts - in their mind, such data has been "fabricated" anyway!

There are polls and there are polls.
Here is a broader sampling. They seem contradictory, but an examination shows that Americans wanted to stay out in 40-41 - yet wanted to help England and do what they could to deter Japan (it is interesting to note that by late 1941 - a significant number assumed we were already at war)

http://ibiblio.org/pha/Gallup/Gallup%201941.htm

Interviewing Date 1/2-7/40

Survey #227-K Question #7

Which of these two things do you think it is more important for the United States to try to do — to keep out of the war ourselves, or to help England win, even at the risk of getting into the war?

Keep out........................... 40%

Help England....................... 60

Interviewing Date 1/2-7/40

Survey #227-K Question #6

If you were asked to vote on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote — to go into the war, or to stay out of the war?

Go in.............................. 12%

Stay out............................ 88

Interviewing Date 11/21-26/40

Survey #224-K Question #6

Do you think it was a mistake for the United States to enter the last World War?

Yes................................39%

No................................42

No opinion......................... 19

Interviewing Date 12/18-23/40

Survey #226-K Question #1

Which of these two things do you think is the more important for the United States to try to do — keep out of the war ourselves, or help England win, even at the risk of war?

Roosevelt Voters in 1940

Keep out........................... 38%

Help England.......................62

Interviewing Date 12/2-7/40

Survey #225-K Question #5

If you were asked to vote on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote — to go into the war or to stay out of the war?

Go in.............................. 15%

Stay out............................ 85

Nine per cent expressed no opinion.

Interviewing Date 2/16-21/41

Survey 1230-K Question #1c

If you were asked to vote today on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote—to go into the war or to stay out of the war?

Well-informed Voters

Go in.............................. 17%

Stay out............................ 78

No opinion......................... 5

Interviewing Date 3/9-14/41

Survey #232-K Question #8a

If you were asked to vote on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote — to go into the war, or to stay out of the war?

Go in.............................. 17%

Stay out............................ 83

Interviewing Date 3/9-14/41

Survey #232-K Question #10

Which of these two things do you think is the more important for the United States to try to do — to keep out of war ourselves, or to help England win, even at the risk of getting into the war?

Keep out........................... 33%

Help England.......................67

Interviewing Date 4/10-15/41

Survey #234-K Question #1a

Do you think the United States will go into the war in Europe sometime before it's over, or do you think we will stay out of the war?

Will go in.......................... 82%

Will stay out........................ 18

Interviewing Date 4/10-15/41

Survey #234-K Question #8a

If you were asked to vote today on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote — to go into the war, or to stay out of the war?

Go in.............................. 19%

Stay out............................ 81

Interviewing Date 5/22-27/41

Survey #237-K Question #2a

If you were asked to vote today on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote — to go into the war, or to stay out of the war?

Go in.............................. 20%

Stay out............................ 80

Interviewing Date 5/8-13/41

Survey #236-T Question #1

Which of these two things do you think is more important for the United States to try to do — to keep out of war ourselves, or to help England even at the risk of getting into the war?

Keep out........................... 39%

Help England....................... 61

Interviewing Date 4/27-5/1/41

Survey #235-K Question #2

Do you think the United States will go into the war in Europe sometime before it is over, or do you think we will stay out of the war?

We are already in.................... 13%

We will go in....................... 64

We will stay out..................... 14

No opinion......................... 9

Interviewing Date 6/26-7/1/41

Survey #240-K Question #2

If you were asked to vote today on the question of the United States entering the war now against Germany and Italy, how would you vote—to go into the war now or to stay out of the war?

Go in.............................. 21%

Stay out............................ 79

Interviewing Date 7/24-29/41

Survey #242-K Question #2

The army has asked Congress to change the law that says drafted men cannot be sent to fight outside the Western Hemisphere. Do you think Congress should give the army power to sent drafted men to points outside the Western Hemisphere?

Yes................................ 37%

No................................ 50

No opinion......................... 13

Interviewing Date 10/24-29/41

Survey #251-K Question #9

Should the United States take steps now to prevent Japan from becoming more powerful, even if this means risking a war with Japan?

Yes................................ 64%

No................................ 25

No opinion......................... 11

Post #: 129
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 4:24:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

On the question why Germany declared war on the US: Part of the rationale was that Germany expected war with the US, given the situation in the North Atlantic - and according to German foreign minister Ribbentrop, "a great power [i.e. Germany] does not permit any power to make war on it. It declares war itself."

warspite1

Well Ribbontrop already goes down in history as a bit of a plank, but that quote is priceless. Clearly he didn't think Germany a great power then - after all the whole of the British Empire and France declared war on Germany

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 130
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 5:39:39 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

I think that is the most informative group of statistics that I have seen. And it shows well, the dichotomy of thought in the US, at the time.

Nobody, in their right mind, wants to go to war. The US didn’t have to go through the Somme, but the casualty lists from Aisne-Marne, Oise-Aisne, Ypres, St Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, were enough to get some serious attention. War seriously sucks. Your husband, father, brother, son, nephew, niece, fiancé, friend, are going to die.

So what is unusual in the national desire to avoid another war? Nothing. But then again, we ain’t stupid. We know right from wrong and usually (back then) come down on the side of truth, light and righteousness.

So we knew who the pissants were. We may not have wanted to fight them just then, but we knew who they were, oh, yes, we knew. Maybe not today, or not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of their miserable, stinking lives.

We did not want war, but we did not want the a$$holes to win either. That much is clear. So we were skating on the thin ice between two imperatives. Sooner or later, we would have had to crack the ice on one side or the other, and earlier or later, makes no real difference all things considered.

We were on a tipping point, and it wouldn’t have taken much to move the lever. Japan did it with PH; just witness the outrage; but sooner or later, somebody was gonna do a nasty and get us pissed-off. Then, all bets are off.

[ed] to answer the OT about conspiracies, I can only refer one to when one is sailing away. You little conspiracy weenies have a clue when you see this?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Symon -- 1/9/2015 7:05:12 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 131
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 8:48:03 PM   
JeffroK

From LST
Conspiracy thesis can be quite entertaining. I have run across a thesis claiming that a Dutch (!) destroyer operating in the North Pacific sighted KB on the way to PH and radioed a warning that was ignored at PH. Of course no name of the ship was given, no explanation what business a Dutch destroyer had up there or how the DD got there, given the limited range of DDs in general and Dutch DDs available at the time of PH in particular. Good laugh!

I believe I have a book (Fiction) that has a Dutch Submarine that fits this story. Then Churchill sent an "agent" to dispose of the boat & crew. Same guy was involved with the assassination of either Giraud or the guy that shot Giraud!!!

I"ll dig into the archives

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 132
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 9:14:17 PM   
Panther Bait

One thing I don't understand about the "Did FDR know" PH conspiracy is why he would have opted for a massacre at the base, rather than just a simple attack. It would seem to me that a "last minute" warning in the early AM PH time would have gotten the ships buttoned up, planes ready, torpedo nets (assuming PH had them for BB row) etc. in time to have a hot reception waiting. If he was worried about ships being sunk at sea versus in the harbor, make the warning late enough to prevent a fleet sortie in time.

I bet a significantly less-successful sneak attack would have served just as well to rile up the country as the massacre that really happened. And then you'd have a fleet to do something about it a lot quicker.

Of course, I am sure the conspiracy theorist has answers to all those.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 133
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/9/2015 9:44:44 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

From LST

I believe I have a book (Fiction) that has a Dutch Submarine that fits this story. Then Churchill sent an "agent" to dispose of the boat & crew. Same guy was involved with the assassination of either Giraud or the guy that shot Giraud!!!

I"ll dig into the archives

Further brain surge (after a hot shower!)
THE PALADIN, by Brian Garfield.

< Message edited by JeffK -- 1/9/2015 10:46:48 PM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 134
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 12:33:17 AM   
John 3rd

I think this thread has evolved into a great example of why we're in the Forum. Those Polls cited above are excellent material for a WWII buff. After reading them and examining the sources, I want to use them in my pre-Pearl Harbor lecture. Those are fantastic pearls of history that reveal the conflicted nature of the nation. NICE!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 135
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 2:41:42 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: desicat

Warspite, I'm not arguing that FDR knew PH was going to be attacked on the morning of Dec 7, 1941. I can easily look up citations where US Navy leadership was strongly against deploying the fleet forward at PH. I can also find numerous papers that state that FDR's economic policies forced the fragile Japanese political establishment into a war footing.

I can also state that US forces stationed in South Korea after the Korean War were basically a trip wire - were/are the subsequent Presidents potential mass murders for basically placing them in an untenable situation in case of a North Korean attack?

I agree with you that someone just looking into the Pacific War historical era can ask the question, just like historians have.

desicat, you do realize that we are still at war with the DPRK? How does defending yourself by having troops dig trenches equal mass murder? Can we dispose of this fellow? He's a troll, and that's pretty definitive coming from me. I for one don't need to hear any more opinions from this fellow, furthermore science as well as nature itself doesn't care about your opinions. Please don't give us a link to any website which takes you seriously.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 136
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 2:44:51 AM   
geofflambert

Sorry, I hadn't gotten to page 3 of the thread yet because I was too infuriated to wait for it.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 137
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 3:07:39 AM   
geofflambert

This is actually desicat. I have hacked into the gorn's account. If you don't start respecting me, I will prevent him from ever posting again. Do not attempt to free him or I will end him. I don't have the space fare to send him back to Gorn. Now, everyone who wants the gorn to keep posting, post the word 'yes', nothing more, nothing less.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 138
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 3:47:57 AM   
EHansen

yes

Post #: 139
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 4:09:00 AM   
witpqs

'yes', nothing more, nothing less.

Post #: 140
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 4:22:46 AM   
geofflambert

You're supposed to take this opportunity to say "NO" or "HELL NO". Remember this is your friendly neighborhood desicat.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 141
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 4:38:25 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

One thing I don't understand about the "Did FDR know" PH conspiracy is why he would have opted for a massacre at the base, rather than just a simple attack. It would seem to me that a "last minute" warning in the early AM PH time would have gotten the ships buttoned up, planes ready, torpedo nets (assuming PH had them for BB row) etc. in time to have a hot reception waiting. If he was worried about ships being sunk at sea versus in the harbor, make the warning late enough to prevent a fleet sortie in time.

I bet a significantly less-successful sneak attack would have served just as well to rile up the country as the massacre that really happened. And then you'd have a fleet to do something about it a lot quicker.

Of course, I am sure the conspiracy theorist has answers to all those.

Mike

warspite1

Panther Bait you are spoiling a good conspiracy theory here .

Mussolini was a great leader of his people - what was it? I only have to present a few thousand dead at the peace conference..... nice, what a humanitarian .

Well in a similar way FDR obviously wanted a few thousand dead in order to get his war.

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 142
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 8:46:11 AM   
LoBaron

C´mon don´t be so harsh.

All you need to do is prove is that the president and a number of highly decorated veterans in reality were raging maniacs willing to promote their own ideas against the majority of US population by killing a couple of thousands of em.

After this is done, assuring that the rest of the puzzle parts fall into place is a piece of cake. Like what happened on 9/11 to ensure assent to a war against Iraq by faking plane attacks and then demolishing the towers. Or getting a number of NASA professionals to act in a Hollywood movie as if they landed on the moon and then sell it to the press for a couple of decades.

All you need is a bit of effort. Where is your imagination? You aren´t open minded enough!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 143
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 10:02:30 AM   
Olorin

I am totally convinced by DeZanic. He is an original thinker.
At last, someone who breaks the shackles of the official educational system and frees his mind from the burden of reality. Someone so open-minded that his brain fell out.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 144
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 10:10:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

I am totally convinced by DeZanic. He is an original thinker.
At last, someone who breaks the shackles of the official educational system and frees his mind from the burden of reality. Someone so open-minded that his brain fell out.

warspite1

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Joke+Rim+Shot+Sound+Effect&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=44D0FA5F30195592ED7844D0FA5F30195592ED78

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 145
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 2:53:55 PM   
desicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Warspite, I'm not arguing that FDR knew PH was going to be attacked on the morning of Dec 7, 1941. I can easily look up citations where US Navy leadership was strongly against deploying the fleet forward at PH. I can also find numerous papers that state that FDR's economic policies forced the fragile Japanese political establishment into a war footing.

I can also state that US forces stationed in South Korea after the Korean War were basically a trip wire - were/are the subsequent Presidents potential mass murders for basically placing them in an untenable situation in case of a North Korean attack?

I agree with you that someone just looking into the Pacific War historical era can ask the question, just like historians have.

desicat, you do realize that we are still at war with the DPRK? How does defending yourself by having troops dig trenches equal mass murder? Can we dispose of this fellow? He's a troll, and that's pretty definitive coming from me. I for one don't need to hear any more opinions from this fellow, furthermore science as well as nature itself doesn't care about your opinions. Please don't give us a link to any website which takes you seriously.

Wow, I was never supporting the conspiracy theory, I just thought the OP was being treated a bit harshly. I provided a few links and book excerpts that showed he wasn't alone in his wonderings.

I also pointed out that calling political or military leaders who make difficult deployment decisions "mass murderers" was inappropriate - and I'm personally attacked for that?

As someone who spent 7 years deployed to the Japanese and Korea AOR's I find your attack on me wholly misinformed and ironically comical. As a former military faculty member at the Naval War College I find your close minded personal attacks on persons just asking questions shameful. The idea of Political fore knowledge of the attack on PH is routinely discusses in those halls.

Conspiracy theories abound, chose your flavor; FDR knew about PH, President Kennedy assignation, LBJ and the Gulf of Tonkin, The Benghazi Embassy attack, Fast and Furious, 911, etc... The best way to get at the truth isn't to shame or shout folks down, it is to discuss and bring forth facts.

If you don't agree with the OP or think his question was unworthy of comment then don't comment. The guy may have just been looking for more information as he was new to the forum/historical Period.

This is one of the reasons I miss Nemo Posting. He was well researched, unafraid to post a radical position, and unapologetic. Poster comments could often be viewed as attempting to shut him down or run him off, but there he was, posting opinion after opinion.

I enjoy the forums here, I learn a lot and also find new avenues to research. If folks find my comments offensive I take no issue with them not replying to me or putting me on ignore. I like your humor, and plan on continuing to read your posts (especially since I have hacked your account and am responsible for their content) - can you say the same?

< Message edited by desicat -- 1/10/2015 4:29:49 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 3:13:58 PM   
desicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I think this thread has evolved into a great example of why we're in the Forum. Those Polls cited above are excellent material for a WWII buff. After reading them and examining the sources, I want to use them in my pre-Pearl Harbor lecture. Those are fantastic pearls of history that reveal the conflicted nature of the nation. NICE!

Just an example of someone who found some research that was of interest to them in this thread. Wouldn't have happened if the thread had been locked or the question not even asked.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 147
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 3:18:11 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

I think that is the most informative group of statistics that I have seen. And it shows well, the dichotomy of thought in the US, at the time.

Nobody, in their right mind, wants to go to war. The US didn’t have to go through the Somme, but the casualty lists from Aisne-Marne, Oise-Aisne, Ypres, St Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, were enough to get some serious attention. War seriously sucks. Your husband, father, brother, son, nephew, niece, fiancé, friend, are going to die.

So what is unusual in the national desire to avoid another war? Nothing. But then again, we ain’t stupid. We know right from wrong and usually (back then) come down on the side of truth, light and righteousness.

So we knew who the pissants were. We may not have wanted to fight them just then, but we knew who they were, oh, yes, we knew. Maybe not today, or not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of their miserable, stinking lives.

We did not want war, but we did not want the a$$holes to win either. That much is clear. So we were skating on the thin ice between two imperatives. Sooner or later, we would have had to crack the ice on one side or the other, and earlier or later, makes no real difference all things considered.

We were on a tipping point, and it wouldn’t have taken much to move the lever. Japan did it with PH; just witness the outrage; but sooner or later, somebody was gonna do a nasty and get us pissed-off. Then, all bets are off.

[ed] to answer the OT about conspiracies, I can only refer one to when one is sailing away. You little conspiracy weenies have a clue when you see this?

Yes, this it a good point. To think that three political systems so divergent as that of the US, Japan and Germany could have co-existed for any length of time is not realistic. The US with it's own economic priorities just could not survive the ascendancy of Japan and Germany. War with both powers was just simply inevitable, and to suggest that the US would have backed away from continued successes by the Axis is just foolish. We could not have stood the economic burden much less the social and political. The fall of the UK would have actually accelerated conflict with Hitler regardless of what Japan did. The conflict might have lasted 20 years for the US instead of 4 but there could only have been one power standing when it was over. "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 148
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 4:13:35 PM   
Big B

This discussion has been both heated and interesting in many ways.

I have read many revisionist histories, official histories, and critical reviews of revisionists work. Official histories are written at the behest of the government. Revisionists use materials not often found in official histories (an excellent example of good revisionist history is John Parshall's Shattered Sword - unused information that changed our understanding of The Battle of Midway).
The key weapon of critics of the revisionists is that they (revisionists) fail to supply smoking guns in the form of official documents. Now, that standard of proof or lack of can be highly subjective (since there are many documents revisionists supply and or site) - but lets examine that anyway (for Pearl Harbor).

Many assertions have been raised and documents uncovered since the middle of WW2 itself. The orthodox defense is that - yes - those things were known, but not at the time revisionists claim, or are just fabricated.

Question: What is to be gained by an organization (in this case the government) releasing information that would have negative ramifications - if they didn't have to release that information? No one would rationally be expected do that, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect to see that.
Next Question - Has the government ever demonstrated efforts to keep servicemen (or civilians) from speaking freely about incidents the government would like to keep quiet? I think we can reasonably agree that answer is yes.

So what are we left with? No reasonable expectation from the government or any organization to voluntarily release controversial documents that would put said organization in an embarrassing position....nor a reasonable expectation for the government or any organization not to do what it can to keep people from talking.

So is it reasonable to expect these two key conditions to be overcome? I don't think so.

So given the above - what is left if one questions an official position?
Other than whistle blowers and or a lot of luck and perseverance in digging up documents - I think there is the test of reasonable action given what IS NOT disputed.

What is not disputed that the Presidents Cabinet knew as of Dec 6th 1941?

1) War with Japan was imminent - War warnings had been issued, Major portions of the Japanese Navy were at sea heading towards Allied territory in the Far East.
2) Signal Intelligence showed an important 14 part message was being delivered to the Japanese Embassy in Washington, from Tokyo.
3) All of the men in key positions in the administration were born in the 19th century, and in their lifetimes Japan had always gone to war without prior warning (4 times previously I believe)....and in their last naval war had attacked the Russian Pacific Fleet at Port Arthur to open hostilities, crippling their fleet to open they way for offensive naval operations.
4) They knew aircraft carriers were crucial to any naval moves in the Pacific - the Navy slowed reinforcement to the Philippines because they stated they could not spare carriers for escort.
5) Pearl Harbor was a vulnerable target to a carrier raid - the US Navy itself demonstrated this in 1938 with Fleet Problem XIX (deemed a devastating attack by CV Saratoga...which closed from the North West and launched the strike 100 miles from PH).
6) Battleships in port are quite vulnerable to a carrier raid. HMS Illustrious with 21 bi-plane torpedo bombers did this to the Italian Fleet at Taranto 13 months earlier, sinking one BB and crippling two others (The Japanese Navy took note of this).
7) Admiral James Richardson, in 1940 CinC Pacific Fleet, believed that Pearl Harbor was the logical first point of attack for the Japanese High Command, given Japan's demonstrated tactic of undeclared attack and surprise warfare. He was relieved before Dec 7th.
8) A look at a map of the Pacific shows a lot of blue...meaning a navy will be the key weapon in a war in this theater....an important target - THE important target.
9) The Japanese had 6 fleet carriers (at least 360 first line aircraft) who's position and destination is 'unknown' at the imminent outbreak of hostilities.

Combined - this is all circumstantial evidence - no smoking gun (held to the required standard I cited above).

So given all of the above - Is it reasonable to assume the President and his Cabinet could be surprised that the Japanese would start the war there?
Since we cannot reasonably expect the government to ever dig up a smoking gun and shoot itself, all you can do is try to put yourself in their shoes and think about it.

Let me give an allegory in real life.
I was in charge of the Facilities Dept. in a large Data Center worth 100 million dollars in my professional career. It was my responsibility to assure it was protected and never operationally down.

If I had information that the storm of the century was likely headed my way, and I did nothing to safeguard it, did not assure a supply of fuel for generators, did not make sure the generators and UPS system were well maintained, did not make sure we had a Transient Voltage Suppression System in place and working, did not make sure the roof scuppers and drains were clear, did not made sure my employees were available and on duty as the storm drew near - and was not present at work myself .... if I did not do those things and my data center was hit unprepared (while I happened to decide to be unavailable for contact at the critical time - like Gen Marshall allegedly was)...if I did that -
I would be derelict in my responsibilities at best - and would surely expect to be canned.

So as a professional, this is all I can see as the alternative explanation to what revisionists claim.
The professionals in charge in Washington, those with the responsibility and authority to make things happen - were (to me) inexcusably negligent and should have been "canned".

To me - that is not a very good defense. I can't believe the Nation's Chiefs were so ignorant, unimaginative, and nonchalant at that moment. Does that put an aluminum foil hat on me? Perhaps, perhaps not.

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 1/11/2015 3:36:47 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 149
RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor - 1/10/2015 4:15:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

If you don't agree with the OP or think his question was unworthy of comment then don't comment. The guy may have just been looking for more information as he was new to the forum/historical Period.

You may be right In any case: more information and some methodology = less conspiracies. I guess he did not know, expect that people here take these matters seriously (which is a good thing IMO). In his defence, he's done what they do in the other massive games forums, I guess. This is not a normal place LOL

Cheers

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Lets talk about conspiracies - Pearl Harbor Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI