Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rail Repair Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Rail Repair Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rail Repair Question - 1/12/2015 1:48:48 AM   
Grognard

Regarding random RR hex repair as set in the editor.

I very faintly recall reading somewhere that stationing any (non repair) unit at the end of a working RR line enhances the probability/possibility that the adjacent broken line will be repaired.

Anybody know for sure ?
Thanks in advance - go Packers.....

Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em
Post #: 1
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/12/2015 6:51:27 AM   
Edwire

On Section 12.5 on the manual say it's probability increased only near supply points or deployed RR repair units. I'm not sure if it's non-RR repair unit.

quote:

The Automatic Rail Repair
function is reasonably intelligent; it attempts to recreate destroyed
supply nets from supply sources, and will tend to occur
near Supply Points and deployed Railroad Repair units.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 2
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/12/2015 8:46:48 PM   
Grognard

Thanks - I searched the online helpless and didn't find anything. Thanks for being polite and not telling me to RTFM.

I will still park rear echelon units at the end of some RR lines as bookmarks to see if adjacent hexes were repaired. I was hoping otherwise as the randomness of repairs (in the various versions of Barbarossa with vast RR networks) leaves a lot to be desired...

Thanks again

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 3
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/12/2015 10:38:53 PM   
Telumar

In the D21 scenario, the Axis has to place entrained RR units at the end of a rail line to have the automatic repair happen at those points. It always worked for me.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 4
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/13/2015 5:15:10 AM   
Grognard

Thanks Telumar - I will entrain an ant or 2 or 3 and park them at rail termini (terminuses ?) in my current scenario (DNO 3.7).

I'll bump this thread when the results are in. Fingers crossed.....

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 5
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/13/2015 11:24:30 AM   
Telumar

This works only with RR units AFAIK. I could be wrong though and 'normal' units will do the trick, too.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 6
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/13/2015 5:42:00 PM   
Grognard

quote:

This works only with RR units

Forgive me - I didn't notice the "RR" in your original post.

quote:

It always worked for me

If it works every time this could be of use - where connecting sections only needs a few (1,2,3)repairs to (significantly) shorten a route - this would also save a lot of time. The interesting thing here is if it works consistently with a divided RR repair unit (less proficiency). If it does would it be considered "gamey"? Not that I would care

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 7
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/16/2015 6:35:23 PM   
sPzAbt653

As Edwire posted, Rail Repair will tend to occur near Supply Points and deployed Railroad Repair units.

Units with no Rail Repair Capacity have no effect. So you have two types of repairs, Manual Repairs performed by the player with units that have Rail Repair Capacity, and Auto Repairs performed by the Game Engine. Auto Repairs occur at the default rate of 1 per turn, but this can be changed by the scenario designer using the event engine. A unit with Rail Repair Capacity will have diminished capacity if the unit is split.

Optimally, repair one line by massing all units with Rail Repair Capacity on that target line, then leapfrog them each turn while using each unit to Manually make repairs. However, you may repair multiple lines by dividing your Rail Repair resources across multiple lines, but at a reduced rate.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 8
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/17/2015 5:36:09 AM   
Grognard

quote:

Auto Repairs performed by the Game Engine

- is what I'm trying to pin down

My 2nd runthru of DNO 3.7 - 4 random hex repairs per event engine (not to mention a massive rail net with many hard decisions to make...). I want to guide/influence where these occur. I just entrained a couple of RR repair units this turn and parked them on either side of a 2 hex break per Telumars suggestion above.
quote:

In the D21 scenario....It always worked for me
If it does work this will shorten the Leningrad - Vyazma run by about 20 hexes and save me a turn of foot slogging/reduced supply/readiness. Not to mention the time saved by keeping the RR Repair units entrained...

quote:

Optimally, repair one line by massing all units with Rail Repair Capacity on that target line

DNO HR limit is 3 per line

quote:

However, you may repair multiple lines by dividing your Rail Repair resources across multiple lines

Like I said; hard decisions. Losing those 2 on this experiment cost me progress on the middle Caucasus line (300 km behind 17th Army at Dneprpetrovsk). I'll probably finish the turn tomorrow and find out if entrained RR repair units influence random RR repair in adjacent hexes. Will advise.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/22/2015 4:12:03 AM   
Grognard

quote:

Will advise

Negative - neither of two damaged RR hex adjacent to two entrained RR repair units were repaired randomly... Hmmmmm

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 10
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/22/2015 2:21:40 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard

quote:

Will advise

Negative - neither of two damaged RR hex adjacent to two entrained RR repair units were repaired randomly... Hmmmmm

I saw this working in D21.

There are other factors to consider: What is the setting for automatic rail repair? And how many turns did you wait?

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 11
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/22/2015 2:37:49 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard

quote:

Will advise

I saw this working in D21.

There are other factors to consider: What is the setting for automatic rail repair? And how many turns did you wait?

Works fine with the updated/modified Road to Moscow, Crossing the Border. Elmer also uses the RR engineers to repair up to 20 hexes of RR from Brest towards Minsk, in 12 days (If he manges to capture
Brest-Litovsk!).

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 12
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/22/2015 6:42:37 PM   
Grognard

quote:

What is the setting for automatic rail repair?

100% - 5 hexes/turn

quote:

And how many turns did you wait?

Nur eins - any more kind of defeats the purpose as I might as well detrain them and repair the hexes manually (which I did). Maybe I will experiment next turn and wait more than one. But my supply net will suffer

quote:

Works fine with the updated/modified Road to Moscow

Entrained RR repair units forcing a random fix in an adjacent damaged hex ?

Thanks for the input guys - I will hoist a beer for you tonite.......

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 13
RE: Rail Repair Question - 1/22/2015 10:25:29 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I might as well detrain them and repair the hexes manually

The 5 auto-repairs per turn are in addition to any that you repair manually, so yes, detraining them is the optimal solution. The Auto Repairs occur during the Bookeeping Phase at the beginning of the turn, then during the turn you can manually repair additional rails. On occasion you will notice that one or more rails adjacent to your rail repair unit may have been repaired by the auto-repair, but that isn't always the case due to the large rail grid. Remember, repairs 'tend' to occur first near supply points, then near rail repair units, then in other locations. So on some turns you may not readily notice where they 'occured'.

D21 is different in that Rail Repair Units are able to move by rail only, so they can't be detrained to make manual repairs.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Rail Repair Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI