Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weapon DPS table spreadsheet + script

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Weapon DPS table spreadsheet + script Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weapon DPS table spreadsheet + script - 1/10/2015 11:15:53 AM   
BTAxis

A thing I like to do when looking at weapons is plot DPS graphs and see how they compare to each other. To this end I've written a little Perl script that outputs some relevant data for all versions of all weapons, which I then plug into a spreadsheet that generates a DPS table. I figured this might help someone else, so I've decided to share them here.

To use the script you either need to have a working version of Perl installed on your system, or you can convert it into an executable using perl2exe (google it). The script should be in the same directory as components.txt and research.txt and assumes these files exist. Output is to standard out, but you can put it in a file with a pipe:

perl weapgen.pl > out.txt

From there, just copy the whole thing and paste it into the spreadsheet, first tab, cell A2. The DPS table will be in the second tab. DPS values of 0 will be shown in white-on-white, so they appear empty. Negative values will be highlighted in red (because they're usually bad). To plot a graph, simply select the rows on the DPS table you want and insert a "line" type graph from the insert ribbon.

Note that cell I2 on the first tab is for setting the armor reactive rating of the target. This changes how the graphs turn out. Also, I used cell range names in this workbook to simplify how the calculation looks. However, the formula in cell B2 on the DPS tab remains vanilla, just in case anyone wants to alter the calculation and doesn't want to have to delete the names first. Finally, the order the weapons appear in the output of the script is the order they are defined in research.txt.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Weapon DPS table spreadsheet + script - 1/10/2015 2:03:27 PM   
tjhkkr

What a neat tool; thank you!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 2
RE: Weapon DPS table spreadsheet + script - 1/13/2015 10:43:32 AM   
TanC

As a spreadsheet junkie, I appreciate this tool. Thanks!

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Weapon DPS table spreadsheet + script Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI