Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reverse Slope Defense

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> The War Room >> Reverse Slope Defense Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:12:00 PM   
IronMikeGolf

I and others have written about much about how to play NATO, especially, on my part, how to play the US. In those writings, we have stressed the importance of deep engagement areas to allow you to reduce Soviet strength before the attacking regiments can close to their effective range of about 2000 meters.

But, you need two things to pull that off: favorable terrain and enough long range anti-armor weapon systems.

So, what do you do when you are missing one or both of those? The scenario that Tazak is developing puts you, as a US Task Force commander, in just that spot.

You are given a mix of tank (1 company), recce (1 troop),M2 equipped mech inf (1 understrength company), M113 equipped mech inf (2 companies), an understrength AT company (mix of M150 and M901,, 9 systems total) and a ring of improved positions to defend a city. You get attacked by 4 tank regiments from multiple directions.

There's not enough long range combat power to defend from the outskirts of the city in all directions. The terrain to the east does not provide for good engagement areas. However there is an opportunity to effectively use a revers slope defense.

Below is the situation shortly before contact. Two tank Bns are approaching from the southeast. We can expect the AI to run both Bns straight at the highlighted M1 platoon.

Southwest of the tank platoon is a stack consisting of an M901 section and an M113 mech inf platoon. These M113 platoon have a Dragon IIs mounted on each track and an additional Dragon II team dismounted.

The attacking units won't be in view until they get to the edge of the high ground and at that point the M1s and M901s can engage them. Once the Soviets get to the low ground northwest of the hill, they are in range of the mech inf's Dragons.

That hill partitions the battlespace nicely, preventing following tank companies from supporting the lead tank company as it comes under fire. And it brings the fight to within the envelope of the mech inf's weapons. There's a good chance we will get a series of mini-battles of 10 Soviet tanks vs the American's 4 tanks and 12 missile launchers. If we get any kills by the Recce tank plt slightly to the north or the M901 plt to the southwest, well that's just gravy.

Let's see how this unfolds. Start time is 0226 hrs, it is night, heavy rain, visual 500m.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Iron Mike Golf -- 1/22/2015 7:14:25 PM >

Jeff
Sua Sponte
Post #: 1
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:24:04 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0240 hrs

We have a tank battalion in column formation about to make contact. The lead company of T64B1s has been spotted by the M1IP plt guarding the bridge. The lead bn is in good order. The following bn is strung out over 3 kms. The remaining bn of the attacking regiment is approaching along highway N248 to the north and is still 3.5 km from the defending company.

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:28:19 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0241 hrs

These tank companies have 13 T64s in them. The lead company takes 2 casualties while closing to 500 meters from the M1 plt. So far, only the M1s have fired and only they have been spotted.

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 3
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:33:59 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0242 hrs

As the lead T64 co closes, it suffers a loss of 10 tanks from the combined fires of the M1IP plt, the Recce M1A1 plt, the M901 section, and 2 mech plts. The M1IP plt loses a tank. The last T64 is continuing its assault as the next company crests the hill behind it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Iron Mike Golf -- 1/22/2015 7:37:02 PM >

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 4
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:38:51 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0244 hrs

The last T64 of the lead tank co is killed by a Dragon. The next co closes to 500 meters and is taken under fire, losing three T64s to tank gun and Dragon fire.

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 5
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:42:30 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0245 hrs

The second T64 company is engaged by a volley of TOW, Dragon, and tank fire and is annihilated. It inflicts no casualties. The third company has crested the hill, but has not yet been engaged.

Note that once the second company was wiped out, the M1IP plt became unspotted. The third T64 company is unable to provide any supporting fires as it can not spot any of the defenders. Even with daylight and good visibility, that trail company has to get to where it is now to be able to have a chance to support. That is one of the strong points of the reverse slope defense. Night and rain are making it even more effective.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Iron Mike Golf -- 1/22/2015 7:48:14 PM >

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 6
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:50:09 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0246 hrs

The last company of the lead tank bn is now in contact with the M1IP plt, but Dragons and tanks have killed 6 of them. The have not yet fired.

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 7
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 6:57:02 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0247 hrs

The trail company of the lead tank bn is finished off by a combination of TOW, Dragon, and tank fires. It never fired a shot. US forces are not spotted by the lead company of the second tank bn, which has just crested the hill.

US ammo is in good shape, except the M901 section, which is down to 39%. Readiness remains in the mid to high 90's, except for the M1IP plt, which is 85%.

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 8
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 7:02:31 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0249 hrs

The next T64 company closes to 500 meters of the M1IP plt and kills one of them, but loses 9 T64s to tank and Dragon fire.

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 9
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/22/2015 7:16:19 PM   
IronMikeGolf

0250 hrs
The T64 company shoots at the M1IP plt and misses. The Recce M1A1 plt kills another T64.

As you can see, this is pretty much a meat grinder. I think it would take at least a tank battalion coming off the hill at the same time to make it to the bridge. And I am not convinced there would be enough combat power remaining to break through the defenses of the mech inf in the city center.

I think this little vignette also highlights the value of dug-in infantry (meaning using improved positions, not the "dug-in" from a Hold order).

Attachment (1)

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 10
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/24/2015 3:00:55 PM   
SwampYankee68

Excellent stuff! Thanks for posting that.

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

Post #: 11
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/24/2015 8:16:43 PM   
IronMikeGolf

Thank, Swamp_Yankee. I think there's a misunderstanding of how useful mech or regular infantry can be against tanks.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 12
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/24/2015 8:28:56 PM   
Tazak

Jeff, have you considered posting these (this and your MRB attack) as guides over at Steam

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

Post #: 13
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/24/2015 9:06:36 PM   
IronMikeGolf

Bryan, No I haven't. Never messed with Steam at all.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to Tazak)
Post #: 14
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/24/2015 9:19:15 PM   
SwampYankee68

I'd be surprised if this game - or any detailed wargame - did well on STEAM. I think the target demographic is very much aware of the wargame publishing community (Matrix, Battlefront, Lock n Load, HPS/Tiller, et al) and will buy their copies direct to maximize the developer's profit margin in the hopes of getting more games to play ( ). And people on steam who are unaware of those publishers are for the most part unlikely to be excited by a wargame. Just my opinion. Edit - I love STEAM and have a lot of games in my STEAM library!

< Message edited by Swamp_Yankee -- 1/24/2015 10:20:22 PM >

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

Post #: 15
RE: Reverse Slope Defense - 1/25/2015 12:19:36 AM   
Mad Russian

I will just say that the response of the game on Steam surprised me. For all the reasons you gave SY.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> The War Room >> Reverse Slope Defense Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI