Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

On Forts....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> On Forts.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
On Forts.... - 1/19/2015 5:34:12 PM   
ratprince

I am having a suspension of disbelief about the rapidity of digging of forts.

Did the axis really throw up level 1-3 forts {relative to game terms} that quickly? I rarely see a division in the open. If they have to readjust their lines even, they seemingly hop into level one and two forts.

Is this an AI helper thing? Or is this WAD for all players? Do forts go away if you leave? So maybe they built all of France and Germany with forts prior and just hop in the existing ones?

Its just really hard to make much progress, when even if you blast a unit out of its fort, it just retreats one hex back into another and effectively just as strong.

Anyone else have this versus the AI or human even? Thoughts?

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
Post #: 1
RE: On Forts.... - 1/19/2015 5:47:56 PM   
Peltonx

Forts take a while to build, but players generally have units in 2nd and 3rd lines building forts.
Forts do slowly decay over time without a ground unit.

To crack a fort line it generally takes more then 1 turn unless you have allot of armor in reserve.

If infantry can crack the first line then tanks the 2nd, but generally from what I see in WitW it take several turns because of the small forses on each side.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 2
RE: On Forts.... - 1/19/2015 6:57:58 PM   
MrLongleg

I believe the AI is getting an incredible amount of help. When you play against a human that won't happen.

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 3
RE: On Forts.... - 1/19/2015 7:23:39 PM   
ratprince

Im not looking for info on HOW to crack a fort line. I know that.

I am wondering if there is AI help with forts....or if its across the board.

I know MY troops never dig in that fast...

"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 4
RE: On Forts.... - 1/22/2015 5:23:27 PM   
GrumpyMel

Yeah, I have a similar problem with the way the game handles Fortifications, neither a good play mechanic nor very accurate, IMO. On the good side, Joel explained that there was a "helper setting" where you could reduce the rate at which Forts are constructed/repaired down to as low as 25 percent of what it is in a standard game. I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet, as I really only have time to play one game...but it would be interesting to see how a game with that custom difficulty setting plays out. I expect it would be a good bit more fluid and dynamic on the ground.

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 5
RE: On Forts.... - 1/22/2015 6:45:22 PM   
Jakerson

btw. AI always build fortified zones behind the lines and prepare defenses as human german players should do too especially Italy have very good defensive ground but it was historically very easy to defend.

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 6
RE: On Forts.... - 1/22/2015 7:33:05 PM   
ratprince

That is all I really want to know, if I play a human are they gonna instantly have forts appear?

As fortified reserve lines, totally agree. However, I believe there is an AP cost and manpower cost to fortifiying a hex. And if you leave a fort, it slowly decays. the axis should not have enough troops to literally have level one and two forts in every hex... My guys certainly do not auto create level one and two forts every time they move into a new hex.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 7
RE: On Forts.... - 1/22/2015 10:28:02 PM   
gmsitton

Look for unused airbases in the rear that still have air support and shut them down with zero TO&E and supply. Do you have air support units in the production pool?

(in reply to ratprince)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> On Forts.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI