Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2x 1000lbs bomb fighters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/30/2015 4:21:30 AM   
Laxplayer

So I've just entered '44 as the Allies in my PBEM. While scrolling through my upcoming aircraft production pools I've noticed that I get a number of fighters capable of carrying two 1000lbs bombs (iirc, the P47d25, a certain Corsair model, a Hellcat model, and the P38-L I believe).

Now I know that strafing in this game is relatively useless, unless the fighter doing it has a 37mm cannon and a 500 pounder and is attacking troops or armor in wide-open terrain, merchant ships/barges, or in the rare case of an overloaded airbase with tons of planes on the ground. I've used my P39/P400s for this with occasional success.

My real question is, has anyone used these double 1k bomb fighters for anything ground/naval attack related? How successful were they? A corsair with two 1k's strapped underneath sounds like a nice weapon vs. the IJN (or an IJN port for that matter). Could they to be used off my CVs like an f-18 strike fighter (sometimes a2a, sometimes naval attack)? Or should they stick to just A2A only?

Thanks for the input!
Post #: 1
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/30/2015 4:37:46 AM   
witpqs

I haven't used them so far. One thing I would point out is that preferably the pilots have the requisite bombing skill for the mission. Of course, there might be an exception where you need to keep your fighters groups staffed with pure A2A killers, but you have an abundance of CAP and soft targets present themselves...

(in reply to Laxplayer)
Post #: 2
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/30/2015 8:01:02 AM   
Barb

Well I think that if you have air superiority or air supermacy, then you can certainly use fighters to bomb... Make sure you have the pilots trained in the skill (GrB/NavB) and stay high enough... Or go low, face the flak of every squad in the hex and strafe ...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/30/2015 8:22:09 AM   
wdolson

By 1944 Hellcats were routinely used for both ground attack and shipping strikes. During the Battle of the Philippine Sea, a Hellcat only strike after the KB the morning after the mission into darkness, but they didn't find anything and came back with no joy.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 4
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/30/2015 6:01:23 PM   
Laxplayer

Yes, I have plenty of pilots that I've trained for Air, LGround, and Strafing (and some have lowNav as well). I used 2-3 of the USWestCoast fighter sqds to train from the start of the game on (and I'm in '44 now).

A game mechanics question: If I put Hellcats or Corsairs at 10-15k alt and on Nav Attack, would they dive bomb? Or would they simply level drop? (Assuming they are trained in NavB)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/30/2015 8:19:03 PM   
btd64

I believe that is glide bombing....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Laxplayer)
Post #: 6
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/31/2015 1:56:35 AM   
wdolson

Only dive bombers dive bomb. It would be rather interesting to see a Hellcat or Corsair try to dive bomb. Neither had dive breaks nor a bomb trapeze. Dropping bombs from a vertical drop would go right into the propeller.

Bill

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 7
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/31/2015 7:10:13 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Only dive bombers dive bomb. It would be rather interesting to see a Hellcat or Corsair try to dive bomb. Neither had dive breaks nor a bomb trapeze. Dropping bombs from a vertical drop would go right into the propeller.

Bill

How would the bomb catch up to the propeller? Or am I missing something?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/31/2015 7:24:42 AM   
wdolson

The hard points on the Corsair and the Hellcat are near the centerline inboard of the landing gear and inside the arc of the propeller. In a vertical dive, releasing the bomb would fall into the propeller.

Most dive bombers had a trapeze to extend the bomb downward outside the arc of the propeller. A few like the A-36 carried the bombs on outboard shackles, but all carrier dive bombers carried the main bomb load along the centerline.

Bill

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 9
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 1/31/2015 3:58:01 PM   
witpqs

I think what he is getting at is how would the bomb catch up to the propeller?

Basically, while the plane and the bomb both fall the same in accordance with gravity - and the plane also has a running propeller pulling it - they have very different aerodynamic characteristics. First, the density of the bomb is far greater than that of the airplane, resulting in far less air resistance. Second, the shape of the bomb is more efficient also. Third, the plane is usually taking some measures to fall more slowly, like by using dive breaks, to prevent the massive forces of wind resistance from ripping the plane apart. They are both falling at the same speed when they are attached to each other, but when the bomb is released gravity pulls it down even faster and it will quickly catch up to where the propeller is.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 2/11/2015 12:39:14 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well most dive bombers would have flaps or dive breaks extended, this would help the pilot to slow down. Going too fast can be fatal, I have seen wings torn off and at some point you going to have to pull up and that even more Gs to face.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters - 2/20/2015 2:03:13 PM   
crsutton

In the game when there is little or no air opposition then there is no problem using these fighters as bombers. By mid 44, you got plenty of planes, pilots and supply so bombs away. However, if they get caught by Japanese fighters, even the high quality aircraft are going to get slaughtered. So you have to use a little caution. My last campaign was a scen 2, so there were always plenty of Japanese fighters about. I rarely used fighters as bombers. Besides by then you have so many other types of bombing platforms that you often do not need them. I will say that if they are trained at low naval they can provide a nasty surprise.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> 2x 1000lbs bomb fighters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI