Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

sub transport

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> sub transport Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sub transport - 2/1/2015 9:12:18 PM   
MuguNiner

Greetings,

I had a sub run out of petrol a while back. Its return to Darwin looked hopeless as the system damage kept accumulating. then I found the island of Talaid-eilanden! An unoccupied Dutch island in the middle of Indian Country. I put the sub into port and the crew is clearing the system damage slowly. I tried to create a sub transport mission that would take petrol there. No luck. Now I find that one of my supply transport attempts went to sea and has now run out of petrol. Someone is going to get fired! The good news is that it is also in the neighborhood of Talaid-eilanden. So I will have two subs in need of petrol.

Any thoughts, ideas on how to get petrol there? Or just wait until the system damage is low enough to get back to Darwin or a base on NG?

Attachment (1)

USMC 1976-80
Post #: 1
RE: sub transport - 2/1/2015 9:18:49 PM   
USSAmerica

You best bet to get fuel there would be to try to sneak a single small xAK into the base. If all your system damage that can be repaired is repaired, you may make it to Darwin or another closer port at the "out of fuel" rate of 2 hexes/day, before the system damage builds up again to a critical level.

I'd probably try option #2.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to MuguNiner)
Post #: 2
RE: sub transport - 2/2/2015 2:41:56 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

You best bet to get fuel there would be to try to sneak a single small xAK into the base. If all your system damage that can be repaired is repaired, you may make it to Darwin or another closer port at the "out of fuel" rate of 2 hexes/day, before the system damage builds up again to a critical level.

I'd probably try option #2.

It's been a long time since I had this problem (at French Frigate Shoals I think), but I don't think the sub can refuel ship-to-ship in a dot base. You have to send engineers and build a level 1 port, then unload the fuel, then re-fuel the sub. If you want fuel. If you're close to a good port you can Readiness repair the system damage and hope the second unfueled leg gets you home before you sink.

The Moose

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3
RE: sub transport - 2/2/2015 3:12:06 AM   
EHansen

As far as I can tell, just send it to the nearest base with fuel. The SYS damage will increase, but the FLOAT damage will not.
I've had the same problem and had the sub get to Perth with 99 SYS damage.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: sub transport - 2/2/2015 2:01:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: EHansen

As far as I can tell, just send it to the nearest base with fuel. The SYS damage will increase, but the FLOAT damage will not.
I've had the same problem and had the sub get to Perth with 99 SYS damage.

Sys damage doesn't stop at 99. When it reaches 100 the boat sinks regardless of other damage.

The Moose

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 5
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 4:47:24 PM   
EHansen

You're right Bull, I must have been lucky and got to Perth just in time.

Post #: 6
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 6:18:00 PM   
Lokasenna

I think you can refuel at these tiny bases... There are a bunch of little bases in the DEI that start with 100 or 200 Fuel and I've used them to get PTs, subs to refuel during the Great Exodus. They may have been Port 1, but maybe not.

RE: System damage - it is true at sea that when a ship reaches 100 Sys, it sinks. However, I had 2 CAs in port against one of my opponents, repeatedly bombed. System damage 97 and 99, then bombed again - ships didn't sink. I don't think Sys can get to 100 while disbanded in a port.

Also note that you can't transport Fuel via Sub Transport. Sad to say.

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 7
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 8:08:09 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I think you can refuel at these tiny bases... There are a bunch of little bases in the DEI that start with 100 or 200 Fuel and I've used them to get PTs, subs to refuel during the Great Exodus. They may have been Port 1, but maybe not.

RE: System damage - it is true at sea that when a ship reaches 100 Sys, it sinks. However, I had 2 CAs in port against one of my opponents, repeatedly bombed. System damage 97 and 99, then bombed again - ships didn't sink. I don't think Sys can get to 100 while disbanded in a port.

If you start on turn 2 with the Allies you can use the little 1825 (?) capacity tankers to drop fuel in almost every one of the little islands to create fueling stations for the exodus of the plethora of short legged Dutch auxiliaries.

Hans

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 8:17:45 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I just looked at a clean Scen 1 and on 12/7 there are ten Port 0 bases with any fuel. Most are near China or the HI. Stock scenarios auto-magically give a few dots some fuel at start.

You can also unload fuel at an unoccupied dot. The problem is you can't refuel a sub there.

I sent an xAK with fuel to Torishima. It unloaded 417 worth. I sent an I-boat there from Hiroshima on Fast and told it to stay. The screen shot shows you can't fuel the sub from the base or the xAK, which still has a lot of fuel on board.

On the 100 System in port I think you're right. In my other game I had two cruisers in the yard in Soerbaja for months, getting bombed all the time. Sys went to 99 and stayed there, with occasional forays to 97. They finally "sank" when the bombing took Float over 100. As I recall.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/3/2015 9:22:42 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 8:27:43 PM   
Lokasenna

Ah, but if you disband the I-boat into the port... can you refuel then?

I could. It used up all the Ops for the day, though. Regardless of the amount of fuel taken aboard.

Post #: 10
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 9:13:04 PM   
obvert

If you risk a TK you can disband the tanker and refuel the sub that way, right?

Or, depending on the rest of the map right now, send an xAK with a YO and once in range for the YO to continue on its own, send that with the fuel.

Can the Argoanut and other transport subs carry fuel? Haven't had need to try so didn't test that. Then you have the dot base issue, but maybe find a still Allied port 1 and drop it there.

EDIT: A few dots listed here do have fuel.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/3/2015 10:25:24 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: sub transport - 2/3/2015 11:47:32 PM   
Lokasenna

Yep, I used Biak and Cebu. Try disbanding a sub to the size 0 "port" and then refueling using the "ships anchored in port" screen... it'll work, it'll just suck up all their Ops for the day.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 12
RE: sub transport - 2/4/2015 12:19:46 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I could. It used up all the Ops for the day, though. Regardless of the amount of fuel taken aboard.

I re-ran it and don't see how you did that. Even though a Port (0) at a dot is basically a mooring line run to a palm tree, you can "disband." But you can't do refueling ops while disbanded. When you reform the TF you get the boat back exactly as it was when you disbanded, same amount of fuel. Can you give me exact steps? I'm not seeing this.

Other ship types this would work. Subs are coded to be weird re refueling. They can't refuel each other in a TF for example. Has always been that way. In my other game I had to lift a piece of a base force to French Frigate Shoals and build the base to Port(1). Then the sub would refuel from base supply and it made Pearl while I took the BF home.

Edit: Never mind. I found the button. I never use that one. Was it patched in? I don't think it was there when I did the FFS thing in my first AI game.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/4/2015 1:22:54 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 13
RE: sub transport - 2/4/2015 1:55:15 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I re-ran it and don't see how you did that. Even though a Port (0) at a dot is basically a mooring line run to a palm tree, you can "disband." But you can't do refueling ops while disbanded. When you reform the TF you get the boat back exactly as it was when you disbanded, same amount of fuel. Can you give me exact steps? I'm not seeing this.

Other ship types this would work. Subs are coded to be weird re refueling. They can't refuel each other in a TF for example. Has always been that way. In my other game I had to lift a piece of a base force to French Frigate Shoals and build the base to Port(1). Then the sub would refuel from base supply and it made Pearl while I took the BF home.

Edit: Never mind. I found the button. I never use that one. Was it patched in? I don't think it was there when I did the FFS thing in my first AI game.

Moose, that button is vital for refueling ACMs disbanded in port as they perform their tender function while disbanded and run their fuel dry doing so.
Without that button, you would have to put them into TFs just to refuel them, only to have to disband them afterward so they will function again.

It was especially necessary before ACM fuel use was toned down.

Hans

Post #: 14
RE: sub transport - 2/4/2015 3:12:48 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

It's a bit tricky at dot bases. Since clicking on the dot does not bring up the base info screen, you have to click on the hex and then click the anchor symbol at the bottom left of the screen, which brings up the ships list.

Post #: 15
RE: sub transport - 2/4/2015 3:21:58 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Notice it can take forever to refuel at level 0 bases; like 3 to 4 days for a small xAKL... which of course makes a lot of sense

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 16
RE: sub transport - 2/5/2015 11:54:05 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Moose, that button is vital for refueling ACMs disbanded in port as they perform their tender function while disbanded and run their fuel dry doing so.
Without that button, you would have to put them into TFs just to refuel them, only to have to disband them afterward so they will function again.

It was especially necessary before ACM fuel use was toned down.

Good point. Of course, the ACMs are at big ports with lots of fuel. I have just TFed them and done it the old way. By now in April 43 mines are less of a focus, but the ACMs seem to go a long, long time now between fill-ups.

That button could be a little dangerous if you're not careful. Suck the whole port dry on junk ships when you need the gas for ongoing ops.

But I do need to look over the ACMs.

The Moose

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 17
RE: sub transport - 2/14/2015 4:47:08 AM   
MuguNiner

Loose lips sink ships. We may have a mole in this forum... Just a few days after KVIII arrived the Japanese spotter planes spotted my subs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Talaud-eilanden , at 79,97

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 23
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 26

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
SS Saury, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
SS KVIII, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk

Port hits 8
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
26 x Ki-49-IIa Helen bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USMC 1976-80

Post #: 18
RE: sub transport - 2/14/2015 4:48:25 PM   
Bullwinkle58

You know The War Room is a public forum, right?

If you want OpSec you either have to post your question in an AAR, or put a "No Opponent-Name" in the thread title. And depend on honorable behavior.

The Moose

(in reply to MuguNiner)
Post #: 19
RE: sub transport - 2/14/2015 5:45:58 PM   
MuguNiner

I think we all know my opponent. His initials are A.I.

USMC 1976-80

Post #: 20
RE: sub transport - 2/14/2015 6:17:47 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Ah. Missed it by THAT much, Chief!

The AI knows all, sees all . . .

The Moose

(in reply to MuguNiner)
Post #: 21
RE: sub transport - 2/14/2015 7:38:34 PM   
rockmedic109

That's my problem. The AI is smarter than I am.....

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> sub transport Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI