Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/3/2015 10:39:05 PM   
Elrohir525

I'm loving the new Mod and UFP map! Many thanks to ehsumrell1 and the entire modding team for all of your hard work!
A quick bit of feedback from my first game: playing as the Breen, I noticed that they have no species-specific wonder--is that as designed? Also, I had a popup with some incomplete text that looked similar to one of the exploration discovery ones, but resulted in my being at war with the Borg located at the other side of the galaxy. I can see war with them being automatic, but the text just didn't explain what had happened.
Overall, I think the Mod is fantastic--thanks again Trek Team!

< Message edited by Elrohir525 -- 2/3/2015 11:52:04 PM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 61
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/3/2015 11:34:30 PM   
ehsumrell1

Thanks for the kind words and compliment Elrohir525!
Yes, not all of the 30 races have a race/species specific wonder tied to them. But there are other
combinations of resources and character skills, traits and events that help balance out those that
don't.

As far as getting declared war on by the Borg, two things;

1. It's quite possible (and probable) that either a.) one of YOUR explorerships, or one of your allies
(who's makeup may have a colony with some of your empire's folks on it ~ check top of diplomacy screen)
ran across a planet with a Borg 'war-activating' event.

2. One of your ships inadvertently either crossed into a Borg sphere of influence, or was spotted and
scanned by a Borg advance scout vessel (Borg explorership) ~ {could be how you know they are at the other
side of the galaxy, or did one of your spies get detected? The Borg Queen just DETESTS spies)

Two other things, if the Borg have declared war on you, and they have researched and retrofitted their cubes
with their Trans-warp Drive, you better have Long Range Scanner tech.

The other and final thing....RUN!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Elrohir525)
Post #: 62
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 12:11:11 AM   
Chet Guiles

Thank You! Am downloading as I write this and will install asap. Have been VERY eagerly awaiting this 2.0 version.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 63
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 2:18:25 AM   
Chet Guiles

No biggie, but I started a new game as the Federation at tech level 2 using a general startup just to get a feel for the mod. When I went to add a troop transport to my initial fleet there was no troop transport design in the system. I created one quickly so no major issue, but wondered if I am doing something wrong. Never encountered this before. I know you can't built Capital Ships and Carriers until a certain size of manufacturing capacity is reached, but usually there was no issue with troop transports or the smaller ships and I can't find anything in the tech tree that would be the bridge link to troop transports. Any ideas? Otherwise the mod is working fine with no hiccups.

Thanks.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 64
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 2:57:20 AM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Chet!

Here's the thing. The last two DW updates affected the way that Spaceports & Starbases
used Tractor Beams. Now normally, the Tractor Beam logic would prioritize 'pushing'
Troop Transports away (thus keeping them away from the planet to increase the chance of them
getting blasted before deploying troops). But it was found that an unarmed Troop Transport
seemed to still avoid the tractor beams and deploy. Now if the Troop Transport is 'armed',
it becomes a higher priority for the base to attack. But that means that the Base will now
possibly 'pull' the transport to it (and thus toward the planet) and it makes it easier for
the transport to drop troops. So the best result is to experiment. Build your Troop Transport
design the way you want, armed or unarmed, fast or slow (up to the size constraints of course).

I suggest everyone to review their race's ship designs that they choose to play at game start
and verify that they have a Troop Transport and colony ship design. At times the design templates
sometimes conflicts with the overall ship design and tech focuses and a design may not be produced.

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 65
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 3:02:34 AM   
Aedaric

I can't post my error... This is ridiculous.

I'm getting an immediate crash upon loading the UFP scenario as the Federation.

The game switches themes fine.

And...

Pastebin here. pastebin . com / 2vmizdtQ

Post #: 66
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 4:52:47 AM   
Coriolanos

You may cannot post it bec you have less than 10 posts so you are not allowed to post anything looks like a url link.

I belive its the same error as iam expiriencing, that is posted on page 2 by thesadguy

sincerly

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 67
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 7:47:35 AM   
zoommooz11

@ehsum

Sorry if I sounded ungrateful, especially considering the work you put in. You are of course right about the research rate (I forgot that the first tech line--0 is half the selected rate). Upon reading how good the scenario is I am going to give it a shot with the 205 (I even tried to edit the tech tree, but some changes work ie damage changes from weapons, but others ie individual tech costs, tech requirement won't) Regardless, I would like to reiterate my thanks, and will now be quiet.

Edit: Quick question, I wanted to add a family 31, for some older kirk era ship (which I did as family 26 in version 1) but it does not seem to want to load. Is there something I am missing here?? (like max families already used).

< Message edited by zoommooz11 -- 2/4/2015 10:28:03 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 68
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/4/2015 11:41:39 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zoommooz11

@ehsum

Sorry if I sounded ungrateful, especially considering the work you put in. You are of course right about the research rate (I forgot that the first tech line--0 is half the selected rate). Upon reading how good the scenario is I am going to give it a shot with the 205 (I even tried to edit the tech tree, but some changes work ie damage changes from weapons, but others ie individual tech costs, tech requirement won't) Regardless, I would like to reiterate my thanks, and will now be quiet.

Edit: Quick question, I wanted to add a family 31, for some older kirk era ship (which I did as family 26 in version 1) but it does not seem to want to load. Is there something I am missing here?? (like max families already used).

Not a problem zoommooz11, I've learned to become very thick skinned since the first day of becoming a
member of Elliot's Beta Test Team. Like Elliot though, I've also learned not to divulge many 'trade
secrets' also. As I stated in a previous post, once players start attempting to tweak and modify things
to their own liking, things start to break because the mod was planned and built from one perspective
(the Trek Team's) that integrates with the Distant Worlds game dynamics, that only a handful of people
who worked on the project know.
Remember, we built this mod to be playable in ALL of the DW playstyles.

If you've been following this thread, you'll notice that there are a few problems that have cropped up
concerning the map or starting the game. But also, the majority of players are running smoothly and have
no problems or issues. There are too many variables involved to really know what's happening. The team
and I put months of hard work into this project for free. Also, I'd be remiss to not mention the original
work and planning that Igard, the originator, put into the base product. So I don't plan to spend time
discussing how to do this or that, respectfully speaking. I will spend the little free time I have at this
junction trying to complete the 700 star map as a future add-on, and preparing for our next major
project, Star Trek The Kirk Era for DW:Universe.

I will say this, our mod has many 'special' game events that happen occasionally throughout the game
both with, and without playing the scenario [SPOILER ALERT INFO],

like 'the Traveler' character appearing, or other such events. So even when you edit, tweak, or whatever you wish to call it, you could be setting things up for a later crash as the game develops. Just FYI!

Now I'll be quiet! Please continue the support shown for our mod and the Distant Worlds series!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 2/4/2015 12:43:17 PM >

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 69
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 5:26:18 PM   
Aedaric

ehsumrell1

I am extremely grateful to the Trek team for your time and effort put into the mod. If there is any information I can provide that can help with the error I am receiving please let me know. I haven't been able to get into a game at all yet unfortunately.

Thank you again!

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 70
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 7:04:19 PM   
Coriolanos

do you play this mod with
game version 1.9.5.10 or 1.9.5.0 ?

Bec ive some errors with 1.9.5.0 cant load the map file maybe thats my problem

(in reply to Elrohir525)
Post #: 71
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 7:17:07 PM   
Aedaric

(in reply to Coriolanos)
Post #: 72
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 7:40:21 PM   
TheSAguy

ehsumrell1,

I play as the Borg and was reading through some of the help files at work and saw that the Borg Wonder - Borg Unicomplex can only be built on a Marshy Swamp world. Is that correct? Currently the Borg's Native planet type is Desert, so it's weird that this wonder can only be built on a Marshy Swamp.

I have not tried actually building it yet.

Thanks,

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 73
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 8:08:06 PM   
ravincravin

Aedaric, are you trying to start a custom game using the UFP map or are you using the opening screen which displays the map? Be it known that custom games do not work with the scenario map.

TheSAguy, Some races are comfortable with more than one type of planet. Look at the Galactopedia to see if that's the case. My gut feeling is just build on a marshy swamp planet. I'll look the next time I have the game booted up. {Edit} After looking it up, these things are considered wonders and have nothing to do with the race's native planet type.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ravincravin -- 2/5/2015 9:32:34 PM >

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 74
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 8:18:40 PM   
Aedaric

My exact actions, just in case I am actually doing something wrong:

Starting the game--> Change Theme--> Selecting STPE--> Start New Game--> UFP Milky Way Galaxy Map is already selected as a "Prebuilt Galaxy" and I select Federation--> Play selected Galaxy and Faction--> Crash

(in reply to ravincravin)
Post #: 75
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 8:47:44 PM   
ravincravin

Aedaric- You're doing everything right. I would try unzipping STPE Rev 2. and put it in the customization folder again. Try playing with the Federation and see if you get the same results. Try another race and see what happens. If still crashing, imbed the first part of the crash notice inside your email so we can see what's causing it. Further actions to take might be re-downloading the mod, your 1st one may be corrupt. And, I'm sure ehsumrell1 will troubleshoot your problem. He's busy with work at the moment but due to checks in soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 76
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 9:50:01 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSAguy

ehsumrell1,

I play as the Borg and was reading through some of the help files at work and saw that the Borg Wonder - Borg Unicomplex can only be built on a Marshy Swamp world. Is that correct? Currently the Borg's Native planet type is Desert, so it's weird that this wonder can only be built on a Marshy Swamp.

I have not tried actually building it yet.

Thanks,

As ravincravin eloquently stated, yes, the wonders in our mod are not necessarily tied to the corresponding
races' planet type
. But they ARE tied into the game-play balance. There are numerous other 'weird' (as you put it)
situations you may (or may not) discover in our mod right away that affects how each of the races that have
a Wonder tied to them play in the scheme of things. Also remember that there are still regular DW Wonders also
in the game
. Everyone seems to forget that we made this mod for both near-canon, not so near canon, freestyle
(sandbox) and Distant Worlds normal play-styles to make as many players happy and content as possible.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...or the one!"

So, respectfully speaking, your "weird" could just be "the new normal" concerning any of the Trek Team mods
now and in the future!

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 77
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/5/2015 10:07:32 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aedaric

My exact actions, just in case I am actually doing something wrong:

Starting the game--> Change Theme--> Selecting STPE--> Start New Game--> UFP Milky Way Galaxy Map is already selected as a "Prebuilt Galaxy" and I select Federation--> Play selected Galaxy and Faction--> Crash

Hi Aedaric;
Sorry you're having problems!

Without seeing your "crashdump" file, I would suspect that your mod zipfile might have gotten corrupted
during download (it is a lengthy one, sorry ~ it's a huge file). Unfortunately with zipfiles, if only
one checksum is off it can corrupt an archive file, but yet still allow it to unzip. I believe that's why
a small few players receive the "race_16.png" error.

Nevertheless, my thoughts are this, remove/delete the Picard Era Version 2.0 mod from the Customization
directory. Also, if you have it, MOVE the Picard Era Version 1.0 mod from the Customization directory to
another temporary folder OUTSIDE the Matrix Games\Distant Worlds Universe game directory. This is
whether you use a Steam or Plain DW setup. Then (if you don't have it) download a software program call CCleaner
here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Download and install the free version and run the Registry Cleaner, and the system cleaner.
Then download a fresh copy of the Picard mod Version 2.0. http://www.mediafire.com/download/wkok33ub14ouixv/DW_Universe-STPE_Ver_2.zip and install.
If all works, then HOORAY!
If not, we'll look into it more until we find the problem and get you up and running!
Hope this helps!

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 78
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/6/2015 4:42:42 AM   
Chet Guiles

Hi. Continuing to enjoy 2.0. But a question. In neither 1.0 nor 2.0 can I convince any pirates to do smuggling supply missions. Is there a secret button to push or a command line that I can modify to make sure pirate factions will take smuggling missions, at least some of them some of the time? I have not had this issue with the vanilla game, but I'm guessing you know more about the nuts and bolts than most. Any ideas?

Chet

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 79
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/6/2015 5:00:46 AM   
zoommooz11

While I cannot tell you why you are having this problem, I can tell you that its not startrek 1.0 or 2.0 that is the cause. In both, I have assigned these missions without problems.

Post #: 80
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/6/2015 5:02:46 AM   
Tophat1815

Can you post a 2.0 save-game so we can check it out.

Post #: 81
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/6/2015 5:13:39 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chet Guiles

Hi. Continuing to enjoy 2.0. But a question. In neither 1.0 nor 2.0 can I convince any pirates to do smuggling supply missions. Is there a secret button to push or a command line that I can modify to make sure pirate factions will take smuggling missions, at least some of them some of the time? I have not had this issue with the vanilla game, but I'm guessing you know more about the nuts and bolts than most. Any ideas?

Chet

Hello Chet;

My guess would be that the race you are playing doesn't have smuggling activated.
Open your race's policy file via the menu and look for the areas that states:

Accept Pirate Smuggling Missions
Offer Smuggling Pirate Missions

Make certain these are set to yes (on). Then, if your game start settings have pirating
active, you should be all set.

Post #: 82
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/6/2015 9:38:53 AM   
Otto von Blotto

Excellent work, thanks to all involved I will be firing this up and having a play over the weekend. cheers

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 83
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/6/2015 11:09:17 PM   
Knickers

No, I had no trouble starting up a Federation game. I uninstalled the previous version of the Picard Era, perhaps that mod is somehow interfering with this one for all of those who are stuck. Just a stab in the dark.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 84
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/7/2015 2:52:30 PM   
Aedaric

It's working for me now, it was a corrupt download for the previous errors. Now I'm just doing horribly in the game. I'm always getting my arse handed to me by the Kirakian. I don't think I'm researching right or something...

Argh!!!

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 85
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/7/2015 3:47:52 PM   
ravincravin

AAH, I'm glad it's up and running. It's a hard scenario, it will take some time to beat it.

Enjoy. Live long and prosper.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 86
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 4:14:13 AM   
Breet

Should there be 2 Ker'rat systems for the Borg? (just noticed that then when I tried starting the scenario as them.

(in reply to ravincravin)
Post #: 87
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 5:23:50 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Breet

Should there be 2 Ker'rat systems for the Borg? (just noticed that then when I tried starting the scenario as them.

Of course there are 2 ker'rat systems! everyone knows east and west ker'rat! East siders always like the eastside and westsiders always like the weatside. No single race finds the distinction between east and westside more important than the diversity minded Borg.

Well,I fired it up and sure enough two Ker'rat systems..........ooops. We were too busy making sure the game ran with all races and the tech tree worked. Also,I never knew whata tedious pain making a map was until Ed kinda explained and apologized for the never ending mapwork. I don't even want to bring it up,but the guy reads this forum as a work break.

So,ehh Ed there seems to be 2 ker'rat systems in the map scenario at start Borg setup. Price of indiscriminant assimilation perhaps?

(in reply to Breet)
Post #: 88
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 6:07:17 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

So,ehh Ed there seems to be 2 ker'rat systems in the map scenario at start Borg setup. Price of indiscriminant assimilation perhaps?

Sorry, looks like I overlooked Ker'rat while culling the beta systemNames file. When making the map, I
needed to make certain that the 'actual' 30 races home systems (according to canon) were not in
the systemNames file so the game would not duplicate one of those system names elsewhere in the galaxy.

We're stuck with that one. As I work on the 700 star map I'll make certain that one is removed. Guess
I'm human (and NOT Son'a) after all!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 89
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 11:06:53 AM   
Osito

Such a shame that you can't easily go in and edit out the extra planet. We need a scenario editor :-)

As one of the beta testers, Ehsumrell1, do you have any ideas about whether they might look into improving this side of the game?

Osito

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI