Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Couple Anomalies in the play session last night

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Couple Anomalies in the play session last night Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/5/2015 3:36:33 PM   
MegaGrubby

First Anomaly - Secession Related
There is an empire of gizureans (dark red) who seceded from the Gyndeni Authority (kiadians...dark blue). The gizurean empire has Kiadian in their empire name. Some of the gizurean fleets have dark red ships but the fleet icon is dark blue (the color of their prior nation). Also, when my advisors recommend missions, they suggest attacking the Gyndeni when they really intend to attack the gizureans.

Second Anomaly - Ship Speed
I have ships that were full on fuel and I sent them to bombard a planet. Max speed of these ships is 25k. The ships are travelling at a speed of 8-9k and the ship display, while in flight, shows that as the max speed. They seem to be burning a ton of fuel as well. Any idea what's happening here?

I have highlights up over on my twitch channel. They probably better describe the anomalies. Both highlights are nice and short.

< Message edited by MegaGrubby -- 2/5/2015 4:39:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/5/2015 4:17:25 PM   
Bingeling

My guess on the speed error is that a fleet member is out of fuel or damaged (damaged to lower hyper speed). I believe fleet slow down to the speed of the slowest member. I did not notice you selecting the fleet so I could see fuel levels.

Did the color thing fix itself with a full restart of the game?

The links:

Secession: http://www.twitch.tv/megagrubby/c/6046343

Speed: http://www.twitch.tv/megagrubby/c/6046350

(in reply to MegaGrubby)
Post #: 2
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/5/2015 4:33:37 PM   
Aeson

quote:

I have ships that were full on fuel and I sent them to bombard a planet. Max speed of these ships is 25k. The ships are travelling at a speed of 8-9k and the ship display, while in flight, shows that as the max speed. They seem to be burning a ton of fuel as well. Any idea what's happening here?

Are they in a fleet, and does that fleet contain ships which are out of fuel? Ships move at about one third the listed speed when out of fuel, so 8 or 9 thousand would be expected for an out of fuel ship with a standard speed of 25 thousand, and fleets typically reduce speed to match that of the slowest ship.

As far as fuel use goes, it's fairly simple: Ships burn fuel at the rate of (current energy usage not met by energy collection)*(reactor fuel efficiency) per real-world second at normal game speed. Energy collectors do not work outside of system boundaries (for the most part; apparently there's a bit of room around Black Holes where you aren't technically within the system boundary but where energy collectors will still work, and this might also be true of gas clouds), are not supposed to work while the ship has a nonzero speed, and are not supposed to be able to power the ship's engines. Ships with hyperdrives engaged are moving, and have a good chance of being outside of any system's boundaries, and so their current energy usage not met by energy collection should be (static energy requirement) + (hyperdrive energy requirement) + (shield recharge rate) or (maximum reactor output), whichever is lower. Ships in combat normally have nonzero speed, so in theory energy collectors should not work even if the ships are within system boundaries (though I've heard others say that energy collectors will work whether or not the ship is moving as long as it is within system boundaries), so their current energy usage not met by energy collection should be (static energy requirement) + (weapons energy requirement) + (shield recharge rate) + (energy requirement for current movement speed) or (maximum reactor output), whichever is lower. Ships with active hyperdrives probably have energy requirements on the order of 150 energy, while even small warships can easily require several hundred energy to fully power the ship's systems. It'd be reasonable to expect a ship with an active hyperdrive to consume perhaps 1 unit of fuel every two or three seconds or so, while a ship which is firing its weapons can easily burn fuel many times faster.

Additionally, I believe that ships whose reactors are not fully charged (i.e. the amount of stored energy is less than the maximum allowed amount of stored energy) will produce energy at the maximum rate the reactor can manage until the energy storage is filled, except when energy collectors can be used instead. A single Hyperfusion Reactor has an output of 180 energy per second as introduced, so if energy collectors are not in use and energy storage is not full, each reactor will consume about 1 unit of fuel every 2 seconds, regardless of whether or not the ship actually needs the full reactor output to power the ship's systems, until the energy storage is filled (obviously, the exact fuel consumption rate will vary with maximum reactor output and reactor fuel efficiency). It generally does not take more than a few seconds to fully charge the reactors, however, unless your ship is using a significant fraction of the maximum reactor output.

quote:

There is an empire of gizureans (dark red) who seceded from the Gyndeni Authority (kiadians...dark blue). The gizurean empire has Kiadian in their empire name. Some of the gizurean fleets have dark red ships but the fleet icon is dark blue (the color of their prior nation). Also, when my advisors recommend missions, they suggest attacking the Gyndeni when they really intend to attack the gizureans.

It sounds like some of the data hasn't quite updated properly after the revolt. Perhaps see if the issue goes away after saving and loading the game, though I rather suspect you'll be stuck with the Kiadian Empire of Gizureans regardless of whether you save and load the game or not, unless you want to play with the editor. If the Gizurean empire's homeworld is in the Kiadia system, that could explain it; empires often take the name of their home system (or an adjectival form thereof) and use it within the empire's name.

quote:

I have highlights up over on my twitch channel. They probably better describe the anomalies. Both highlights are nice and short.

A suggestion: if you want people to see videos highlighting your issues, you might want to provide one or more links to those videos in your post.

(in reply to MegaGrubby)
Post #: 3
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/6/2015 12:40:47 AM   
MegaGrubby

I would be real nice that if you have a link in your post and you are not allowed links, the forum at least keeps the content of the post. Instead the post is destroyed. I spent a good bit of time responding. Not in the mood to do it again at the moment. 7 days until I can post a link. See you then.

edit: at 1:16:22 of my Shakturi R Tough play session you can see the fleet before they shipped out.

The intertwining of the 2 empires continues. Secession happened more then 10 game hours ago (and at least 4 different sessions).

< Message edited by MegaGrubby -- 2/6/2015 1:44:31 AM >

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 4
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/6/2015 8:24:25 AM   
Bingeling

Is it just one fleet with "wrong colors" or are there more stuff of this kind?

It could be a single instance of a quite weird error.

(in reply to MegaGrubby)
Post #: 5
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/13/2015 12:32:09 AM   
MegaGrubby

I have multiple fleets across 2 seceded empires that have the name in the color of the new empire and the upside down triangle the color of the middle empire. I call it the middle empire because they were first gizurean, then kiadian and finally seceded to gizurean again. Both times, the seceded empires took on new names and colors. Advisors recommend attacking the Gyndeni/Kiadian empire when in actuality they are requesting to attack the recently seceded gizureans. I can post the game file somewhere if you are interested.

So I need to remove all low fuel ships from a fleet before giving it move orders if I want all ships to travel at full speed?

If I understand Aeson correctly, a ship will consume the same amount of energy whether it moves quickly or slowly. So my 1/3 speed fleet will consume 3x as much fuel for the trip than my full speed fleet?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/13/2015 9:00:50 AM   
Aeson

quote:

If I understand Aeson correctly, a ship will consume the same amount of energy whether it moves quickly or slowly. So my 1/3 speed fleet will consume 3x as much fuel for the trip than my full speed fleet?

That isn't what I said. I don't know whether or not the game adjusts the energy requirements for ships which have fuel but which are traveling at less than their maximum hyperspeed for whatever reason. If the game does adjust the energy requirements, the trip will cost almost the same amount of fuel as it normally would, but if the game does not adjust the energy requirements then the trip will take about three times as much fuel.

quote:

So I need to remove all low fuel ships from a fleet before giving it move orders if I want all ships to travel at full speed?

The fleet will launch at full speed if all the ships have fuel when you give the orders (or, more accurately, when the fleet starts jumping), but ships which run out of fuel will fall behind. If you issue the order while some ships in the fleet are out of fuel, then the whole fleet will move at the reduced pace set by the ships which are out of gas. I don't think that ships with fuel will slow down if they're already on their way and other ships in the fleet start running out of fuel, but I could be mistaken.

(in reply to MegaGrubby)
Post #: 7
RE: Couple Anomalies in the play session last night - 2/13/2015 11:40:18 PM   
MegaGrubby

That's a lot of words for "I don't know" and "Yes"

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Couple Anomalies in the play session last night Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI