Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slow downs with range rings and marked areas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Slow downs with range rings and marked areas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 3:56:35 PM   
F4U7Corsair

Hello everyone,

I encounter slowdowns when playing with range rings displayed and/or marked areas (per example: patrol or no fly zones).
I have a screenshot to describe the situation but I cannot post it due to my registration being too fresh.

With no fly zones and range rings displayed, in 1:1 time compression, actual time seems to be slowed down by 4 or 5 times, and I feel the game responds with lag (zoom, etc..).

Did anyone encounter a similar problem ? I run in 1.07RC1, with Steam version.
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 5:38:19 PM   
mikmykWS

Really need to see it to be able to determine what's causing the slow down.

What scenario were you running?

Mike

(in reply to F4U7Corsair)
Post #: 2
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 6:25:22 PM   
F4U7Corsair

I sent you the screenshots in PM.
The scenarios used are Jean Moulin Rouge (found in scenar community pack) and Mission Kali Andhi (found on the dedicated forum section).

A game second actually elapsed in half a dozen of real seconds in that time.

Greetings.

< Message edited by F4U7Corsair -- 2/18/2015 7:26:11 PM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 6:27:55 PM   
mikmykWS

Sorry I should have been clear. Can you send me a save file. Screenshots are not really great for id'ing performance issues. Save games are ideal.

Thanks!

Mike

Post #: 4
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 6:32:50 PM   
F4U7Corsair

Yes sure, sorry, here is it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 5
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 7:05:03 PM   
thewood1

I ran MKA at 15:1 game acceleration. Ran 4 hours of game time in about 12 minutes with no issues. Had all range rings on. Switched off hostile range rings and it seemed to speed the game up slightly.

btw, that is the most ref points and exclusion zones I have ever seen in a scenario. Maybe that somehow has an impact on your issues. I know the pathfinding can kind of lock up when it gets confused by complicated zones.

I ran JMR the same way and also had no issues. I was pretty impressed with Lima 1's operation in its maritime surveillance role. It automatically descended to ID all surface contacts by eye. I have never seen that in action and was pretty impressed.

Post #: 6
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 7:18:52 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah kind of agree with wood. If you can capture a save at the time you're seeing the slow down it would help even more.

Over/under I'm guessing it may have something to do with the no nav zones and something trying to navigate around it.

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 8:03:20 PM   
F4U7Corsair

Well, load up the JMR, go to Mission Editor, click on ASuW so you display the patrol area. When map is zoomed out, no problem, but once the red patrol area starts to fill the half of the screen (and further), time starts to decelerate.
Same deal for MKA. Load the game, zoom in a little, click on the Groupe Aéronaval.. time slows down for me.

My rig :
i5 2500k, 3.3 GHz, stock
ASUS GTX770 DC2
RAM Corsair 4x2 Go PC12800

Game runs on Win7 x64 Home, on a 500 Go HDD (OS is on a 64 Go SSD).

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 8
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/18/2015 11:15:13 PM   
thewood1

Ran JMR 10 hours game time and nary a slow down. Tried it with the zone taking the full screen and half the screen. Sounds like a graphic card issue on your machine.

Post #: 9
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 1:53:34 AM   
F4U7Corsair

Cleaned up all the drivers, did a fresh reinstall of 347.52 drivers.. no luck..

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 10
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 1:59:34 AM   
F4U7Corsair

OK nevermind, seems like I found the issue.
Game seems to run smoothly without Hi Fidelity mode. But now my ego is hurt because I would have expected my computer to handle it

I need to play a little more to confirm this.
What hardware factor can influence performance in Hi Fidelity mode ? Would a well running, defragged HDD help ? I admit CMNAO is currently installed on a tired hard drive..

Post #: 11
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 11:42:15 AM   
Tomcat84

I think shaded mission patrol areas can cause a big slowdown. So I always try to run my game with a mission selected that doesn't have that.

Try the example attached. Open the mission editor and select the CAP mission (that shows a big red area) and unpause at 1 sec speed. See how it runs, then switch to the test mission (that has no patrol area)and see if it is better.

If there's a big difference then maybe that is the same thing in your posted scens. So try selecting a mission without big patrol or prosecution zones etc.

Attachment (1)

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

Post #: 12
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 11:50:01 AM   
Grondoval

Hello,

I also can confirm that there is some kind of performance related issue with the rendering of patrol areas and no-fly-zones. I wanted to write a detailed report about this but now I see that others also have this issue.

I first recognized this problem when I played very small scenarios like "The Shark", where only a handful of units are present. Regardless of your pulse time (which is 0-3ms steady) it gets very "jittery" and unresponsive when a patrol zone is highlighted and rendered with the red background.

The funny thing is: when you zoom out very far (camera alt >100km) the performance is good again. When you go at maximal zoom level (100m I believe) the performance is worst when you have a patrol zone highlighted.

You could also see this in the peformance monitor in windows. The CPU-Usage definatly goes up a notch when you´ve got this zones active and highlighted.

Edit: I think this has nothing to do with pathfinding. Its just the graphical rendering of the zones which causes a cpu-usage spike

< Message edited by Grondoval -- 2/19/2015 12:56:31 PM >

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 13
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 12:35:47 PM   
sarjen

I tested this with your scenario and its bulls eye. Without the patrol zone shaded its as fast as i wish, with the shade its "laggy".

btw: is there a way one can unselect the shade? I reloaded the scenario to get the shade/unshade effect.

< Message edited by sarjen -- 2/19/2015 2:00:51 PM >

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 14
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 1:24:59 PM   
thewood1

I just re-ran the test on JMR again on my i7/nVidia laptop and not even a bump with visible zones. Ran it on my old A10 AMD/Radeon laptop and a very small bump but almost unnoticeable unless looking at Process Lasso.

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 15
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 1:35:24 PM   
Grondoval

I tested Tomcats Test-Scenario. Bingo, thats exactly the issue I got too.

@thewood1: you need to get really close (low cam-altitude) to the visible zones. When you zoom in to a cam-altitude of <50000m it gets really bad. When you go at a high cam-altitude (say about 300000m) you dont get a performance hit at all. It all depends what zoom level you got.

< Message edited by Grondoval -- 2/19/2015 2:44:50 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 16
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 2:22:58 PM   
thewood1

OK, I ran a full-fledged test on JMR. With no zone on the screen, it chews about 8-9% CPU. With a zone on screen and zooomed in, it consumes about 12%. This was tested at the same starting point and averaged for 5 minutes. There is a lot of fluctuation, depending on what is going on in the scenario. SO there is some effect and on a system that might be average, I can see it showing up in performance.

(in reply to Grondoval)
Post #: 17
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 2:39:00 PM   
sarjen

Additionally the map databox cursor takes some processing too. About 10% on my I5-3750K with 8GB RAM on a NVidia GTX660Ti. Win7 64bit.

Update: With the shaded tones my Pulse-Time goes to 410ms and that with hi-fidelity turned off.

< Message edited by sarjen -- 2/19/2015 3:41:27 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 2:40:51 PM   
Grondoval

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

OK, I ran a full-fledged test on JMR. With no zone on the screen, it chews about 8-9% CPU. With a zone on screen and zooomed in, it consumes about 12%. This was tested at the same starting point and averaged for 5 minutes. There is a lot of fluctuation, depending on what is going on in the scenario. SO there is some effect and on a system that might be average, I can see it showing up in performance.

Thanks for testing this out. I roughly get the same CPU-Spikes when zooming in on a activated patrol zone (no zone 3%; zoomed in on active zone 12%). The problem is that this is even an issue on very small scenarios (The Shark; Battle of Dong Hoi etc.) and with above average specs (ive got an i7 4770k @4,3 Ghz; GTX 970; SSD etc. and i have these problems).

Of course you could easily work around by just selecting another mission where no zone is defined. So no pressure on the devs for checking on this and maybe working this out .

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 19
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 3:14:35 PM   
sarjen

Grondoval, do you have dual monitor display enabled? If try to disable it.

(in reply to Grondoval)
Post #: 20
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 3:28:53 PM   
mikmykWS

Guys we think we have something with the shading but need to do some engineering to fix it. We won't be able to get to it this update but will address it in the future.

Thanks

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 2/19/2015 4:29:27 PM >

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 21
RE: Slow downs with range rings and marked areas - 2/19/2015 4:29:10 PM   
Grondoval

quote:

ORIGINAL: sarjen

Grondoval, do you have dual monitor display enabled? If try to disable it.

I´ve got a Dual-Monitor-Setup. Disabled it completely - no luck. Still bad performance with highlighted patrol zones on low camera altitudes.

Nice to see the devs are on the ball though .

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Slow downs with range rings and marked areas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI