Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

D21: The Thread to End All Threads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> D21: The Thread to End All Threads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/24/2015 7:30:10 PM   
serumph

I am obsessed with this scenario and I need help so I can end this addiction. Here are my "issues" as they say in California:
1. My God what is the current version of the PI suitable scenario, and where can I find it?
2. How many hexes is a disembarked Bautripp going to repair per turn? Just a guess is fine!
3. I get to mid-July and I am rolling. My air superiority is like, 39. What can I do to prevent the Soviets from getting two turns in a row!
4. Has anyone, ever, taken Moscow? If so can you prove it? .

That should be enough for now. Thanks. I apologize for my excessive emotion. I am kidding.

Gerry
Post #: 1
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/24/2015 8:34:21 PM   
sPzAbt653

1. I don't know what 'PI' is, but the latest version is here : http://www.dizium.net/TOAW

2. Bautrupp units in D21 shouldn't be disembarked [there is no advantage]. You may expect one hex per turn for each one. You may not get that. You may get more. They only way to expect more is to put more than one Bautrupp on the same line.

3. Preventing two turns in a row is impossible. I believe at some point I took steps to limit this happening, but its been a few years so I can't remember, I don't even have D21 on my current computer so I can't check, but maybe with the latest available version [2.3] things are better.

4. Moscow is not impossible to take, it is difficult to hold. One player even got Moscow on turn 16. I generally focus on Leningrad first, then take Moscow, then things go south.

(in reply to serumph)
Post #: 2
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 12:58:41 AM   
serumph

Thank you! I meant PO, programmed opponent.
It's nice to know that Moscow can be taken. It's nice to know it's hard to hold.
I take it you either designed or updated the scenario. Do you know Silvanski? His playthrough on YouTube is brilliant. I wish I could get more detail but that's fine.

You are a prince for responding so fast.

Gerry

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 2:02:38 AM   
Meyer1

Gerry Leb: could you post the youtube link?

(in reply to serumph)
Post #: 4
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 2:47:49 AM   
Meyer1

Gerry: mail received, thanks.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 5
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 2:57:13 AM   
Meyer1

One thing that put me off with these monster scenarios is that is very tiresome to see what are the units that one have in the inventory. Do you guys write down an oob to have on hand, or just use it the one in the game?. IIRC with CTRL+SHIFT+F2 an oob file is generated but is not very gamer friendly.

Sorry for the OT.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 6
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 3:59:40 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I meant PO

Ah, I should have figured that out. In my defense, my brain is still occupied trying to figure out what 'LP' is from another thread.

quote:

I take it you either designed or updated the scenario.

Yes, Rick and I put D21 together.

quote:

Do you know Silvanski?

Yes, a great guy and fellow TOAW'er. Haven't spoken to him recently but he is usually around contributing and helping out.

quote:

You are a prince for responding so fast.

Not really, I'm pretty much here all the time.

(in reply to serumph)
Post #: 7
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 4:19:29 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

One thing that put me off with these monster scenarios is that is very tiresome to see what are the units that one have in the inventory. Do you guys write down an oob to have on hand, or just use it the one in the game?. IIRC with CTRL+SHIFT+F2 an oob file is generated but is not very gamer friendly.

It seems to me that everybody is different pertaining to what level of organization they like to be familiar with. If you run a Scenario Dump from the Editor, you can get a complete OOB by deployment [scroll all the way to the bottom].

I like knowing what divisions were with what corps, so I usually type up a document in Notepad for myself. I don't see one lying around here for D21, but I recently posted one for TGW in the TGW AAR Thread. It's similar to D21. You can grab that one and see if it helps.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 8
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 4:39:22 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

It seems to me that everybody is different pertaining to what level of organization they like to be familiar with. If you run a Scenario Dump from the Editor, you can get a complete OOB by deployment [scroll all the way to the bottom].

I like knowing what divisions were with what corps, so I usually type up a document in Notepad for myself. I don't see one lying around here for D21, but I recently posted one for TGW in the TGW AAR Thread. It's similar to D21. You can grab that one and see if it helps.

Thank you, I'll check that thread.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 5:35:39 PM   
secadegas

quote:

3. Preventing two turns in a row is impossible. I believe at some point I took steps to limit this happening, but its been a few years so I can't remember, I don't even have D21 on my current computer so I can't check, but maybe with the latest available version [2.3] things are better.

No. It's not impossible.

When Human against PO mode is chosen the engine applies an initiative check to determine Variable Initiative (first force to move on the turn). This initiative check is partly randomized but is strongly influenced by the average movement allowance of all friendly land units on the map not assigned to formations with a reserve status.
So - using a very gamey way - you can decisively influence the engine's initiative check by letting as much as possible of entrained units at the end of your turn as they increase dramatically your force average movement allowance.

Please mind that in PBEM and Hotseat games the initiative remains fixed in the order established on the first turn of the game.

< Message edited by Sekadegas -- 2/25/2015 6:36:50 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 5:55:18 PM   
secadegas

quote:

4. Moscow is not impossible to take, it is difficult to hold.

Quite right.

quote:

One player even got Moscow on turn 16.

You mean got to Moscow on turn 16 or taking Moscow on turn 16?

The best i could reach was to complete the encirclement of the whole city and its garrison by turn 15 but could only enter the Kremlin some weeks later...

< Message edited by Sekadegas -- 2/25/2015 6:56:52 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 6:19:07 PM   
Meyer1

Is there any way around the limitation to create a screenshot of the map in these monster scenarios? ("bmp too big")

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 12
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 6:25:02 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Is there any way around the limitation to create a screenshot of the map in these monster scenarios? ("bmp too big")

Turn off "Movies" in the "Set Advanced Game Options" second page. (Or at least turn off "Auto Save Large Movies").

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 13
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 6:33:39 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Turn off "Movies" in the "Set Advanced Game Options" second page. (Or at least turn off "Auto Save Large Movies").

Both options are off, and still got this

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 14
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 7:32:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to stop the automatic creation of those files. Do you mean that you are trying to create a screenshot using the "Create Map Image" option in the "File" pulldown?

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 15
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 7:47:13 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Please mind that in PBEM and Hotseat games the initiative remains fixed in the order established on the first turn of the game.

We discouraged starting in Hotseat Mode as some of the PO's Formation Orders were lost. Again, years gone by and I can't remember if this was due to inappropriate orders being given the formations, of if it was addressed by later versions of TOAW, or if it is still even true.

In reference to the Movement Allowances having influence on Turn Initiative, this is true and it can be circumvented by adding a bunch of rail capable-only units to one side, out of play. Initiative can then be switched by removing these units by event, and the other side can also be given such units at some point.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 16
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 7:49:00 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

You mean got to Moscow on turn 16 or taking Moscow on turn 16?

The guy took Moscow on turn 16 by going heavy there and light everywhere else.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 17
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 8:27:11 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to stop the automatic creation of those files. Do you mean that you are trying to create a screenshot using the "Create Map Image" option in the "File" pulldown?

Yes, that's what I want. But I guess is not possible with some big maps. IIRC in D21 I could only create a screenshot in the "2d tiny" view.

Post #: 18
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 8:36:42 PM   
sPzAbt653

Have you tried hitting the 'Prt Scr' button on the keyboard, then using Paint ?

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 19
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 8:52:54 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

Have you tried hitting the 'Prt Scr' button on the keyboard, then using Paint ?

Just did, but only captures the screen, not the whole map as one gets using the ss function in the game.

Not biggie, just hoping that there was a way to do it.

Thanks.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 20
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/25/2015 11:09:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Yes, that's what I want. But I guess is not possible with some big maps. IIRC in D21 I could only create a screenshot in the "2d tiny" view.

You can try reducing the "JPEG Quality" on that second page of the Set Advance Rules dialog.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 21
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/26/2015 12:10:15 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

quote:

You can try reducing the "JPEG Quality" on that second page of the Set Advance Rules dialog.

Great idea!

I couldn't create a screenshot in huge view even at 1%, but I did succeed with the large view at 10%, a 39mb jpg file. I'll take it.

Thanks.

EDIT: This is weird: apparently no matter what jpg quality setting I use, the same 39,2mb jpg file is generated in the "2d large" view, which I thought I couldn't do it before. Impossible to generate the ss in the huge view. Anyway, I am happy with the ss that I have, so carry on

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 2/26/2015 1:43:13 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: D21: The Thread to End All Threads - 2/26/2015 3:28:11 PM   
Peky1312

There was similar question on forum about map image, you need zoom out farthest and then use create map image (it will be around 3 MB)now if you zoom in once and try create image it will be around 11 MB, but image will be "too far away" to see anything on map this size... Hope this helps

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> D21: The Thread to End All Threads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI