Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Gui... - 2/21/2015 7:31:07 PM   
witpqs

Here is the link to the review.
The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory

And the review text.
quote:

The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory, by Thomas C. Hone, editor

Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 2013. Pp. xx, 360. Illus., maps, appends, notes, biblio, index. $28.95. ISBN: 1612511260.

A Multi-Faceted Look at Midway

Noted naval historian Hone brings together over 50 documents that help throw light on the decisive carrier battle off Midway in June of 1942. These documents include orders, after-action-reports, journal articles, reviews, and excerpts from histories, memoirs, oral testimony, and biographies, and more. They are by both American and Japanese authors, and include many items by participants in the events.

Hone groups these eight sections. The first deals with the overall background to the battle, which is followed by one on concentration of forces. Three sections directly deal with the battle, covering the actual fighting and the after-action reports. There follows a section with items about the various commanders, one on code breaking, and a final one titled “Assessments of the Battle.”

Taken together, these constitute, not a history of the battle, but a multi-faceted look at it. The selections are from both sides and several levels of participation, often covering the same event or subject from different perspectives. The range from items composed at the time, and thus often highly inaccurate, to the most recent scholarship on the battle. This is an immensely valuable work for anyone interested in the Pacific War.

Post #: 1
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/21/2015 8:06:25 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

For me the question is how would this compare to Shattered Sword.
Or in other words there's very little left to cover about Midway after that book.

I would love to read it from a Japanese perspective, although this is almost impossible due to so many, or better said most key players not surviving ww2

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/21/2015 8:17:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

For me the question is how would this compare to Shattered Sword.
Or in other words there's very little left to cover about Midway after that book.

I would love to read it from a Japanese perspective, although this is almost impossible due to so many, or better said most key players not surviving ww2
warspite1

I thought Shattered Sword was viewed from a Japanese perspective - or at least it relied upon a lot of Japanese primary sources.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 3
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/21/2015 11:06:48 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

True, it is likely the most we can get from a Japanese perspective

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/22/2015 3:45:21 AM   
John 3rd

If it links the work done in Shattered Sword to that of the American side then it MIGHT be interesting...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 5
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/22/2015 9:22:39 PM   
spence

The USNI has 23 books concerning the Battle of Midway for sale. I could spend several months allowance there.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/24/2015 1:54:40 PM   
dr.hal

But I think that Shattered Sword did set a very high bar for a "fresh look" at Midway. A comparison to Shattered Sword would be of interest. If this work does go into the background of the US side, then it too might bring new information to the table. The trouble with USNI books is that they are so expensive!

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 2/25/2015 4:39:11 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

But I think that Shattered Sword did set a very high bar for a "fresh look" at Midway. A comparison to Shattered Sword would be of interest. If this work does go into the background of the US side, then it too might bring new information to the table. The trouble with USNI books is that they are so expensive!

From the description, it appears to be an anthology of previously published material, so it's not likely there's anything new. It could be valuable for bringing a variety of viewpoints into a single volume.

-- Mark Sieving

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute... - 3/1/2015 7:27:46 PM   
mikkey

interesting book, thanks for sharing witpqs

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Book: The Battle of Midway: The Naval Institute Guide to the U.S. Navy's Greatest Victory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI