Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feature Suggestion: NFA, NSL, RTL

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Feature Suggestion: NFA, NSL, RTL Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feature Suggestion: NFA, NSL, RTL - 3/3/2015 1:27:46 AM   
ThunderCBR

I'm working on a few scenarios and while programming the computer side I had a few ideas to aid developers and players in target selection and restrictions. Would it be possible to add No-Strike Lists (NSL) and Restricted Target Lists (RTL), as well as a No-Fire Area's (NFA)? I can do some of these things already with no-navigation zones are very careful targeting. It might be easier to give the player/developer a universal targeting list to aid these lists so you don't have to micromanage individual missions.

Per the December 2014 edition of Joint Pub 3-09 located at http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp3_09.pdf

NSL/RTL
"No-Strike List (NSL) and Restricted Target List (RTL). An NSL is published to
prevent a person, place, or thing from becoming a target (example: a culturally significant
place). An RTL is to prevent unintended effects (example: infrastructure damage which
might lead to a humanitarian crisis)."

NFA
"The purpose of the NFA is to prohibit joint fires or their effects
into an area. There are two exceptions: 1. When the establishing HQ approves joint fires within the NFA on a mission-by-mission basis; 2. When an enemy force within the NFA engages a friendly force and the engaged commander determines that there is a requirement for immediate protection and responds with the minimal force needed to defend the force.
(c) Graphic Portrayal. The NFA is graphically portrayed as an area
outlined with a solid black line with black diagonal lines inside. The letters “NFA” are
within, followed by the establishing HQ and the effective DTG"

Thanks for your consideration!

< Message edited by ThunderCBR -- 3/3/2015 2:29:51 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Feature Suggestion: NFA, NSL, RTL - 3/3/2015 1:23:03 PM   
ThunderCBR

I would like to expand on this topic after some thought on how I envision these requests working within the confines of the simulator.

No-Strike List: A master universal list set by the scenario developer that prohibits targeting of specific or classes of platforms, regardless of posture, prosecution zones, etc. This feature would override all over player set doctrine.

Restricted Target List: A targeting list that prohibits certain weapon systems from being utilized against listed targets in order to limit effects. Practical example would be in an urban setting, placing an enemy city bridge on the RTL. I wouldn't want to target the bridge with 155mm indirect in a city, but could hit it with a precision munition like a JDAM. For simplicity, maybe allow the player to set a minimum CEP rating and max DP rating to give the ability to limit effects.

No-Fire Area: Similar to current no-movement areas but with the addition of weaponry and targeting. If an enemy contact is within this zone, targeting will not be authorized to occur regardless of posture, prosecution zones, etc. Practical example would again be a city. I would most likely place an NFA around major urban population centers.

(in reply to ThunderCBR)
Post #: 2
RE: Feature Suggestion: NFA, NSL, RTL - 3/3/2015 3:09:22 PM   
wheecarm

I'm all for any integrated tools that might help scenario creators make more authentic and complex scenarios!

(in reply to ThunderCBR)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Feature Suggestion: NFA, NSL, RTL Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI