Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airbase management

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Airbase management Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airbase management - 12/24/2014 7:59:35 PM   
Mickrocks201

On thing that is making me absolutely batpoop crazy is what the game does to airbase ownership. As you get a premium for basing squadrons and groups at an airbase within the same command, I spent a great deal of time managing this aspect - moving squadrons and changing airbase command ownership to suit my air campaign strategy, only to find that one turn later the base ownership has changed (ex from RAF Bomber command to 8th AF). Hence all the squadrons are now asterisked as being on the wrong base command-wise.

1) how can you make base ownership changes stick?

2) what logic is used to assign initial base ownership for newly acquired airbases? Ex. I took palmera and ithe airbase was given to 8th AF.... Not useful

3). I notice that the supply priority gets changed by the game too. I set it to lv 3 and fill it with planes only to find a turn or two later th lv is now 0 and planes didn't fly at all.

I need to be able to set the airbases my way and not have to check every turn what got changed. It is wayyyyyy to much work.
Post #: 1
RE: Airbase management - 12/24/2014 8:03:21 PM   
carlkay58

1) If you are having problems with base ownership changing sticking, it is a bug. Make sure you have the saves and post the problem (in detail) in the Tech Support section with the saves. This is a bug that has popped up from time to time and is trying to be fixed.

2) I think it is random!

3) I think that the supply priority is probably a bug also so please include it with #1.

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 2
RE: Airbase management - 12/24/2014 8:42:59 PM   
Davekhps

Yeah, not a fan of this aspect of the system. It's too cumbersome to change command ownership click-by-click (why not enable something on the Command screen?), the automatic assignment logic is sometimes random, you can't change the nationality of a base, only the HQ (I'm assuming the nationality is irrelevant to gameplay though, right?), and yeah, supply priorities seem to change randomly for no reason (happened to me a few times).

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Airbase management - 12/24/2014 10:25:44 PM   
dereck

I "think" I may have had this same problem as I spent time consolidating all my air hqs units into a few air bases instead of having units spread all out. The ones I didn't have being used i either assigned to RAF HQ or the Mediterranean HQ.

I'll have to pay careful attention to see if it has happened (but if I do have that bug I actually have all my save games from the beginning).

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to Davekhps)
Post #: 4
RE: Airbase management - 12/29/2014 5:36:07 PM   
GrumpyMel

I'm having similar problems in the '43 start campaign. I have air bases that will revert after I've changed ownership. I also have Air Groups that will revert after I've changed their HQ. I notice this in particular with assigning B-17's and B-24's to the 9th Air Force from the National Reserve where they were listed as belonging to the 8th Air Force. I assign them to a 9th Air Force base, and then manualy switch their HQ from 8th to 9th.... and next turn air phase they have magicaly reverted back to 8th, I reassign them to 9th and next turn they are back to 8th...rinse and repeat. This only seems to happen with some Air Groups though...as I assigned a P51 Group to RAF Bomber Command and it stays assigned. I haven't applied the latest patch though.

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 5
RE: Airbase management - 12/29/2014 5:47:21 PM   
Smirfy

Saying nothing :D

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 6
RE: Airbase management - 12/29/2014 6:25:28 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Be careful with this. I would move an air group and then set it's TOE. At the end of my turn, I would set airbases in mass with 0 ac to zero supply and zero TOE. If an airgroup has 0 AC it will fit this filter and you won't get supplied.

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 7
RE: Airbase management - 12/29/2014 6:26:24 PM   
RedLancer

There are a number of switches coded to helping the AI behave more historically - these appear to be leaking - please post saves and describe what has happened and we'll do what we can to fix. However you do need to have the latest patch otherwise we'll end up chasing our tails.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 8
RE: Airbase management - 3/3/2015 7:50:10 PM   
Mickrocks201

Airbases still getting reassigned in 1.00.21. I pretty much have stopped using the AI AD facility except on rare instances (such as invasion support, or coming after terrible weather to jump start). I always check the matching airbase filter after using AI AD command and have found the problem still exists.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 9
RE: Airbase management - 3/3/2015 7:57:53 PM   
carlkay58

Any use of the AI to move air units or create ADs will change air allocations and assignments among the air commands and air bases. If you are customizing your air assignments then DO NOT use the AI for either the AD creation or the air movement.

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 10
RE: Airbase management - 3/3/2015 8:28:21 PM   
Joel Billings

The creation of ADs shouldn't change the airbase assignments. If it does, and we can get a save with it repeating, we'd love to stamp these out.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 11
RE: Airbase management - 3/3/2015 9:24:56 PM   
Mickrocks201

I have sent a few saves from previous releases, y'all we're not to able to reproduce. I have been pretty much able to make this happen fairly consistently it seems your test bed is not the best platform to find this. I think there have been many others who have reported this. You might want to try testing this on a virgin machine to see my if you can reproduce it. See my comments earlier about the conditions that seemed to cause this.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Airbase management Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI