Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 1:44:06 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knickers

Well the Andorians didn't seize any of my ships, we've had good relations with them from the start.

In all of the screenshots I provided, including the one with the Anticans, I was playing the UFP Scenario map.

Knickers;

I've just looked at both the Andorian ship family (#1) and inside the Andorian race file:

'Designs picture family index: index of default ships pictures used for this race from ship pictures contained in Images\units\ships\ folder or Customization\YourTheme\shipImages\ folder
DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;1

This tells me either you have a corrupted Andorian Race file, or the DesignPictureFamilyIndex number has been changed to 0 (which is the design number
for the Federation ships.

There are two solutions:

1. Replace the Andorian race file with a fresh file (Best option - a fresh file is attached).

2. Open your Andorian race file and make certain your "DesignsPictureFamilyIndex" number is 1

Also, make certain your ship families are in the correct order (the mod is uploaded with everything
in the correct place). The Federation ship family is #0, the Andorian ship family is #1

As I see it, it doesn't matter which playstyle you are using. Whether the UFP scenario, or a
custom game or as pirates it doesn't matter (Even as Pirates, the Andorians would use the pirate
shipset #25).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 3/1/2015 2:44:55 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 211
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 4:18:11 AM   
Knickers

It doesn't seem to be the fault of the file, the index that the andorians are given is 1.

However, there is something else you should know, and that is that the Andorians that are using the FED pics from this default UFP map are not the original Andorian Empire, the Andorian Empire split in half and the one that is using federation pictures is the new Andorian Empire, while the old one still exists. AND, The old one uses the normal Andorian ship pictures.

Basically: There are two andorian empires, one is normal, and the other is using federation ship pictures.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 212
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 4:41:57 AM   
Knickers

LOL! Mixing Universes a bit here aren't we? I am playing the Default UFP Map:

-> http://prntscr.com/6b82mf <-

< Message edited by Knickers -- 3/1/2015 5:43:15 AM >

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 213
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 6:04:04 AM   
Knickers

Uh oh, now the ferengi are starting

http://prntscr.com/6b8k9s

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 214
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 6:18:04 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

LOL...No Knickers, an Easter Egg I planted. I love Battlestar Galactica and because Edward Olmos
(Admiral Adama) personally commented on and complimented Distant Worlds Universe during a review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun,
I just had to insert one of my my favorite characters from the show into the mod.

She's going to be a helluva Governor of Tellar Prime for you!

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 215
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 6:29:33 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

It doesn't seem to be the fault of the file, the index that the andorians are given is 1.

However, there is something else you should know, and that is that the Andorians that are using the FED pics from this default UFP map are not the original Andorian Empire, the Andorian Empire split in half and the one that is using federation pictures is the new Andorian Empire, while the old one still exists. AND, The old one uses the normal Andorian ship pictures.

Basically: There are two andorian empires, one is normal, and the other is using federation ship pictures.

As I recall, this can be a possibility. Especially if when the empire splits, the new Homeworld of
the split empire has a majority of that species. Didn't recall that at first. So if the Ferengi Empire
splits and, let's say the new, split-away empire chooses a Ferengi owned/occupied/conquered continental
planet with a majority Human (Federation) population as its homeworld, then you will see that majority
races' ship designs. That is a Distant Worlds hard-coded game dynamic not mod specific. I believe it is
the logic pathing used in part similarly to what happens when you board and capture another race's ship.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 216
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 2:24:22 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

As I recall, this can be a possibility. Especially if when the empire splits, the new Homeworld of
the split empire has a majority of that species. Didn't recall that at first. So if the Ferengi Empire
splits and, let's say the new, split-away empire chooses a Ferengi owned/occupied/conquered continental
planet with a majority Human (Federation) population as its homeworld, then you will see that majority
races' ship designs. That is a Distant Worlds hard-coded game dynamic not mod specific. I believe it is
the logic pathing used in part similarly to what happens when you board and capture another race's ship.

I looked at the save file and was getting closer to saying something about the new empires homeworld. Just didn't get that far. But makes sense. Will take a second look later. I have a WITPAE 3x3 turn to do and setup for another PBEM, plus do my taxes, or finish them.

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 217
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 4:33:41 PM   
Knickers

quote:

quote:

LOL...No Knickers, an Easter Egg I planted. I love Battlestar Galactica and because Edward Olmos
(Admiral Adama) personally commented on and complimented Distant Worlds Universe during a review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun,
I just had to insert one of my my favorite characters from the show into the mod.

She's going to be a helluva Governor of Tellar Prime for you!

Haha yeah I thought that was a funny easter egg

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 218
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 4:34:48 PM   
Knickers

Wow that's really cool, I didn't know that. Maybe they gave a ship to the ferengi too, I have a screenshot that the ferengi posses a ship that looks like a Galaxy Class Federation Starship.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 219
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 4:37:22 PM   
Knickers

Yeah I remember looking at one of their planets, and it looked distinctly federation-populated.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 220
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 4:38:20 PM   
Knickers

Could somebody please give me the password to the map editor for the default map? I want to look around at some things.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 221
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 9:03:19 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

Could somebody please give me the password to the map editor for the default map? I want to look around at some things.

Ah,no..........thats a massive bit of work done by our team leader as a set starting scenario for this mod. Anyone is free to use the map...take notes on each system and try to create their own but the password is private.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 222
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 9:44:49 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

quote:

Ah,no..........thats a massive bit of work done by our team leader as a set starting scenario for this mod. Anyone is free to use the map...take notes on each system and try to create their own but the password is private.

I was just about the reply to say that Knickers could always load the map as a custom map, if he just wanted to look at the map (rather than the scenario), but I just tried to do that and it crashes. I was just wondering if the map can be played as a custom map without the scenario in STPE Ver 2? If it is supposed to be playable, then I'm experiencing a glitch of some kind. If it's not supposed to be playable as a custom map, that is of course your decision, but I'd be interested to know how you did it - unless it's proprietary information :-)

Osito

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 223
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/1/2015 11:00:02 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Osito;

No, the UFP Map is only a scenario map. It is my intention to release a map pack soon
that contains a playable UFP map as it stands now, in addition to a 700 star UFP map that
plays as a scenario, and can be played custom. Unfortunately though, it will not be finished
until around the end of April due to my business constraints and other projects I'm currently
managing.

No, you don't have a glitch. The scenario map is proprietary and due to editor protection and
events will crash and not load intentionally.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 3/2/2015 12:02:55 AM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 224
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/2/2015 3:42:44 AM   
Knickers

quote:

Hello Osito;

No, the UFP Map is only a scenario map. It is my intention to release a map pack soon
that contains a playable UFP map as it stands now, in addition to a 700 star UFP map that
plays as a scenario, and can be played custom. Unfortunately though, it will not be finished
until around the end of April due to my business constraints and other projects I'm currently
managing.

No, you don't have a glitch. The scenario map is proprietary and due to editor protection and
events will crash and not load intentionally.

Ooh! Any hints on what the custom map may be?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 225
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/3/2015 11:09:21 AM   
ehsumrell1

No, no hints.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 226
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/4/2015 12:16:47 AM   
Knickers

Well, looking forward to it anyway :D

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 227
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/6/2015 8:01:32 PM   
Greedo37

I'd like to try this mod :-) The mediafire link however is incredible slow, and after a couple of tries it always fails. Is there another download location? Or any tips on how to get it to speed up a bit?

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 228
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/6/2015 10:33:42 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greedo37

I'd like to try this mod :-) The mediafire link however is incredible slow, and after a couple of tries it always fails. Is there another download location? Or any tips on how to get it to speed up a bit?

Hello Greedo37;

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty downloading our mod. Our Picard Era mods are hosted on my business
MediaFire account, so there shouldn't be many problems or issues downloading it on their end. I just tested
the link and successfully downloaded the Version 2.0 mod in 18 minutes (it IS a very large mod). Please try
again. If you still have difficulty, PM me later this evening.

(in reply to Greedo37)
Post #: 229
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/7/2015 11:23:07 AM   
Greedo37

Thanks for the offer :-)

I used a download manager and let it run overnight. Happy to say this worked!

Tried the mod for a little bit just now, and in half an hour I managed to annoy the Dominion and other species and made happy tree friends with the Borg.

This mod is just ... amazing. From the moment you select 'switch theme' you're in Star Trek land, The music, the ships, the ambiance, the planets, ... just amazing. A big thanks to the entire ST mod team for creating this entire new world (/insert violin here).

Now excuse me, I have a Breen Conf. to run to try and take over the universe, one planet at a time

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 230
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/7/2015 11:48:42 AM   
ehsumrell1

Very glad to hear you successfully completed the download and now have the mod. Yes, it
is immersive in many ways and we're proud players are liking it. Thanks for the kind
words and enjoy Distant Worlds Universe. Now enough of this, go kick some Dominion butt!

(in reply to Greedo37)
Post #: 231
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/8/2015 11:58:12 AM   
ponasozis

I just had literally best distant worlds game ever

step 1 play as federation be this democratic friendly dude (yet silently conquer everybody in the galaxy)
step 2 rename yourself from Federation to Terran Empire
step 3 change all same family tree species to do not accept and other family trees to enslave and few races even to exterminate
step 4 change government form to way of darkness
step 5 massive taxes on everybody
step 6 give full control of my empire to AI
step 7 wait and watch how entire galaxy implodes into chaos and war
3 new big empires instantly formed from my empire
this was greatest thing i ever done make everybody in the galaxy happy and then enslave them
glorious

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 232
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/8/2015 12:37:19 PM   
Bingeling

Sounds lovely! I hope the three resulting empires are in eternal war against each other?

(in reply to ponasozis)
Post #: 233
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/8/2015 3:47:00 PM   
ravincravin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ponasozis

I just had literally best distant worlds game ever

Glad you're enjoying the mod. The Trek Team didn't exactly have in mind for you to enslave the entire galaxy but if that's what rocks your world, as Spock would say, "make it so".

Enjoy! Live long and prosper.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ponasozis)
Post #: 234
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/8/2015 6:26:06 PM   
Knickers

So I am having a problem with the ship design AI again, this time it has to do with choosing what technology to use on my ships.

http://prntscr.com/6ec1vn

As you can see there, I have extreme energy beams, which is superior to advanced wave weapons, yet the Ship design AI insists on favoring advanced wave weapons and putting PulseWave Cannons primarily on my military ships instead of phaser cannons.

HOWEVER, Even before I unlocked advanced wave weapons, I had phaser optimization and advanced phasers unlocked as well, which would make phaser beams and phaser cannons superior to PulseWave Cannons, and at that time the AI DID use, primarily phaser weapons, giving my ships a higher firepower rating. Now that I have unlocked advanced wave weapons, the AI has gone back to using these PulseWave weapons and the firepower rating on many of my ships has gone down from anywhere between 100-300 points.

Note: On my ship designs screen, I have upgrade on automatic, and retrofit on automatic, for all ships. My tech emphasis places Phasers at 3, while torpedoes and construction above it.

< Message edited by Knickers -- 3/8/2015 7:41:08 PM >

(in reply to ravincravin)
Post #: 235
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/8/2015 11:18:50 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Knickers;

First of all, I need to know what race you are playing. That way I can look at
the Weapons Research Pathing in that particular race file so I can give you
an accurate response. Without knowing, I can only speculate.

Secondly, from looking at your provided screenshot, whatever race you are playing,
something in the pathing is amiss. By amiss, meaning that there seems to have been some
modifications of the original files at some point. Reason being is that there are no
races whose weapons research can be where it is shown at (according to your screenshot)
if the AI is following the pathing from the original files. This of course is also
speculation, but since I wrote the Weapons research pathing for the races I can see
there has been an alteration. Either the AI's pathing was intentionally interrupted and
manually changed, then put back on automatic, or started manually assigned then placed
on automatic. Which if either of the aforementioned were the case, you would get the
results you've reported. Which, by the way, is handled according to the DW game logic,
not the mods.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 236
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/9/2015 3:55:06 AM   
Knickers

Okay

For all of my reports I have been playing as the Federation on the Canon Map provided.

The reason my research is different then you set the AI to research is because much of the research has been acquired through tech trading and intelligence missions, giving my ships a great advantage compared to the others. Because of the existence of the Glottal Pillagers and their high tech level, as well as the outstanding intelligence agents that I have been given, I have sent three agents on continuous missions to steal research.

I believe that the AI did not plan that I would be stealing tech or trading tech with other races, and that is probably why the designs are messed up.

P.S.: I got the high-level weapons upgrades by tech trading with the Tamarians, who possess extremely high levels of technology, likely due to their government as a Technocracy. (I abused mining in their territory then trading the mines to the Tamarians for the ridiculous prices that they are worth.)

To prevent this from happening in the future, you might consider either limiting tech trading or eliminating it from the prebuilt map, because otherwise the tech from the glottal pillagers is only advanced to a certain point, not one that may be game-breaking like tech trading.

< Message edited by Knickers -- 3/9/2015 4:58:41 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 237
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/9/2015 5:02:01 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

...I believe that the AI did not plan that I would be stealing tech or trading tech with other races, and that is probably why the designs are messed up...

To prevent this from happening in the future, you might consider either limiting tech trading or eliminating it from the prebuilt map, because otherwise the tech from the glottal pillagers is only advanced to a certain point, not one that may be game-breaking like tech trading.

Hello Knickers;

Please refer back to our Trek Team mantra, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few,
or the one"
, concerning how our mod was created. We appreciate comments and opinions concerning
our Star Trek mods, but again, please try to understand that our approach was to please the majority
of players' ideology and play methods. In addition, also note that there is a box to check to disallow tech trading
for those that wish to play a custom game with our mod, or any other mod or the vanilla game. As far as our
prebuilt maps go, they are what they are. If players wish to use exploits, such as
what you've done with espionage, or any other playstyle view, that's their (your) own prerogative.

There have been numerous posts in the DW War Games thread concerning gameplay exploits. In DW those
methods (including espionage use) are readily available. Once you see that, you will also know that
the core game processes will ofttimes act illogically when certain similar tactics are used. You
will especially see that in such things as ship design, troop assault tactics, etcetera. So expect
that to happen and realize that is the way that the core game handles things and no theme or amount
of modification changes that.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 238
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/9/2015 5:15:33 AM   
Knickers

quote:

quote:

...I believe that the AI did not plan that I would be stealing tech or trading tech with other races, and that is probably why the designs are messed up...

Hello Knickers;

Please refer back to our Trek Team mantra, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few,
or the one"
, concerning how our mod was created. We appreciate comments and opinions concerning
our Star Trek mods, but again, please try to understand that our approach was to please the majority
of players' ideology and play methods. In addition, also note that there is a box to check to disallow tech trading
for those that wish to play a custom game with our mod, or any other mod or the vanilla game. As far as our
prebuilt maps go, they are what they are. If players wish to use exploits, such as
what you've done with espionage, or any other playstyle view, that's their (your) own prerogative.

There have been numerous posts in the DW War Games thread concerning gameplay exploits. In DW those
methods (including espionage use) are readily available. Once you see that, you will also know that
the core game processes will ofttimes act illogically when certain similar tactics are used. You
will especially see that in such things as ship design, troop assault tactics, etcetera. So expect
that to happen and realize that is the way that the core game handles things and no theme or amount

Okay I understand, I just thought that since you guys set up the tech to do something else than what I had done that I had accidentally broken it. If it was meant to be allowed to be messed around with then that is your own decision.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 239
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 3/9/2015 6:01:49 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hello Knickers;

or the one"

Okay I understand, I just thought that since you guys set up the tech to do something else than what I had done that I had accidentally broken it. If it was meant to be allowed to be messed around with then that is your own decision.

Basically,through espionage and tech trading you skewed your ai's ability to build the optimized ships you were expecting it to build. It's not a modding issue,its a game issue. Now if you design your own ships there is no problem doing what you are doing. It will give you more to do but it will get you the tech/design that you want on your ships. Since its bothering you you may as well try the design your own ships path and see how you like it.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI