Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/10/2015 6:48:04 PM   
marion61

If he gets Corsica thru the Italian surrender, it will be because of a known bug, that bounces your combat units out of ports. Every port in Corsica is ready, but one usually gets bounced out and the allies get a free port even tho it's occupied by german cv.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 31
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/10/2015 11:50:02 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: meklore61

Our best su units from the Italian army are in the 230th, and they seem to be doing well.

What are the best su in the Italian Army -- Artillery of some type or something more exotic?

I see you mention that you are buying time, delaying further invasions. But really, is there a rush for WA? They need to get Sicily and then invade the boot of Italy and then do some type of D-Day by mid 44. Don't they have a generous amount of time?

I realize there is VP trigger points for not having so many hexes by a certain date, but is the timing that tight?

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 32
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/11/2015 12:20:41 AM   
marion61

If he can't invade me again before Nov. he will have a hard time of it. Bad weather sets in starting towards the end of October and last for quite sometime, so his air support will take huge operational losses, and in Nov. I get an infusion of divisions and a huge TOE upgrade. Also, he's not racking up a lot of city points either, but his bombing is killing me and will win the game eventually. So really I haven't accomplished jack crap since he can afford to sit and bomb me to death and there's no way to compete.

Axis can't win, but the longer I can delay his plans, the better off I sit. It works for me, most times.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 33
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/11/2015 6:47:02 PM   
marion61

Unfortunately there were no pics taken this week, as we finally had to withdraw off of Sicily. The moral of the story is, to stop an axis player from fighting forward use two TF's (if they can be spared). One in the ferry between Messina and Reggio, and the other blocking Palermo. Your TF will get chewed up some, but it forces the axis to withdraw, and if you catch them on Sicily, move a TF into that hex at Messina, and you can catch whomever tries to escape. If he'd moved a TF in that hex, I'd been cut off and probably lost my Panzer Korps.

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 3/11/2015 7:47:45 PM >

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 34
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/12/2015 12:45:37 AM   
saudivan

I love this AAR and can't wait to read more of it. I tend to play aggressively on both sides. With the Allies I could rebound quicker from not so pleasant results. The Axis were a bit trickier as every unit is important.

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 35
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/12/2015 12:30:56 PM   
marion61

GOOD MORNING SICILY!!!

Our valiant troops still hold out in Messina. I thought about taking the 4th FJ back into Messina, but I didn't want it to get caught there, so we moved in a unit that is withdrawing. Fortress Volcano is gone, long may it be remembered, and the allied horde almost have Sicily, but the good news is it's the middle of September, so his next invasion will come during rougher weather.

I have noticed some recon flights over the Rome area, but I believe these are looking for my Ghost Bombers. They are safely tucked away, getting new planes until the next invasion.

The best way for him to get back on schedule is to make an invasion south of Naples, or wait for the Italians to surrender and wait for a port to turn. If it was me I'd pick option A, as that area is not really defensible, and option B might not work because a smart axis player would occupy those ports with German units. He just needs 10 hexes before Feb. and he can still do that, although the invasion will launch in worse weather.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to saudivan)
Post #: 36
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/12/2015 12:35:51 PM   
marion61

I guess the Brits finally quit eating rats, and drove right past a port trying to cut me off. 6th Armored was temporarily cut off, and yes they had to start eating rats again LOL! I got my unit into the port so now it can retreat if attacked. Sardinia still has one combat unit on it, but it will be gone next turn. The Italians are left to their fate.

One bright spot is, Cagliari still holds! I still own every port on Sardinia, but that will change soon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by meklore61 -- 3/12/2015 1:36:06 PM >

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 37
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/12/2015 1:31:30 PM   
sven6345789

what did you pull out of the eastern front (or is the box off, i do not remember)

with regard to your bombers. Did you concentrate on the airfield or did you also do naval interdiction?

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 3/12/2015 2:32:50 PM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 38
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/12/2015 2:01:36 PM   
marion61

EF box is off.

When he first landed and for several turns I was doing naval, as he had not moved planes there yet. Once it was apparent that I couldn't keep my naval up, and I saw planes, I started bombing airfields, as they are very vulnerable the first turn they arrive. Now they are safely tucked away, waiting for their next great air victories!

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 39
RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! - 3/12/2015 2:18:57 PM   
LiquidSky

The british only eat desert rats

EDIT: OOps...I'm tired..I meant the Germans only eat Desert Rats.

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 3/12/2015 3:19:21 PM >

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Meklore's AAR, And it's okay if Joc reads it! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI