Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT : World of Warships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT : World of Warships Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 3:30:20 PM   
patrickl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw

Looks interesting

< Message edited by patrickl -- 3/11/2015 4:30:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 3:35:36 PM   
jeffk3510

I'm sure it will be pretty good.

World of Tanks is good for the most part. Haven't played World of Planes.

Navyfield 1 was OK - haven't tried Navyfield 2

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 2
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 6:26:08 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

arcadish

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 3
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 6:31:51 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

arcadish

I liked arcades.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 4
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 6:46:03 PM   
crsutton

Does not do much for me. None of them ever did.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 8:07:53 PM   
Anthropoid

Looks like fun.

I stupidly bought this game on Steam produced by a Hungarian studio I believe "Battlestations: Pacific."

Lets just say, there are good arcadish real time strategy games, and there are bad. Battlestations: Pacific fits into the latter category, and that seems to be the consensus by and large. Still I think I only spent $5 on it so not a huge loss.

So there is clearly a market for such things and if it is done well, it seems worthy to me

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 8:27:05 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

arcadish

Very much so, but it is nice to fire up here and there to blow stuff up.

Post #: 7
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 8:32:54 PM   
wdolson

I have been seeing the World of Tanks/Planes/Warships ads everywhere for a couple of years now. It appears to be an attempt to make a social media war game. About the only thing historical are the weapons. It's otherwise a free for all between weapons.

I don't like real time games to begin with. I play games to relax and games with a time pressure just make me twitchy, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. So I've given it a pass.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 8
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/11/2015 11:20:13 PM   
rsallen64

I'm with Bill on this one. Although I understand "life" happens in real time, real commanders don't control every aspect of the battlespace on their own. In a game, you're expected to do so, so ultimately I think they're less realistic than other games.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 12:52:03 AM   
Lokasenna

My friend and I are probably going to pick this up. Yes, it's just an arcade game with a WW2 naval skin, but that's fine with us. It might be fun. It's entering closed beta this week.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 10
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 1:13:42 AM   
Malagant

I really enjoy World of Tanks, but I have to say I stopped watching that video when the CV rammed the tin-can...

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 1:51:02 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malagant

I really enjoy World of Tanks, but I have to say I stopped watching that video when the CV rammed the tin-can...

Could happen . . .

Actually, I seem to recall that something along those lines DID happen, at least a few times. I'm sure that collisions were not uncommon; seem to recall that one of the cruisers in one of the Japanese Midway taskforces (I think it was the amphibious tf that got bombed by Midway aircraft?) collided with another one of the ships in the tf and both were pretty badly damaged.

There must have been some instances of large ships literally ramming into smaller ones and causing some damage to the bigger one but totalling the smaller one no?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 12
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 3:06:43 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I have been seeing the World of Tanks/Planes/Warships ads everywhere for a couple of years now. It appears to be an attempt to make a social media war game. About the only thing historical are the weapons. It's otherwise a free for all between weapons.

I don't like real time games to begin with. I play games to relax and games with a time pressure just make me twitchy, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. So I've given it a pass.

Bill

Second that!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 5:14:37 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

My friend and I are probably going to pick this up. Yes, it's just an arcade game with a WW2 naval skin, but that's fine with us. It might be fun. It's entering closed beta this week.

Some people are better at strategy and some better at tactics. You want your best tacticians on the front line and your best strategy people on the command staff.

Bill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 14
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 6:08:42 AM   
Chijohnaok2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

quote:

Could happen . . .

Actually, I seem to recall that something along those lines DID happen, at least a few times. I'm sure that collisions were not uncommon; seem to recall that one of the cruisers in one of the Japanese Midway taskforces (I think it was the amphibious tf that got bombed by Midway aircraft?) collided with another one of the ships in the tf and both were pretty badly damaged.

There must have been some instances of large ships literally ramming into smaller ones and causing some damage to the bigger one but totalling the smaller one no?

There was the incident of IJN Amagiri running into PT 109.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 15
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 6:50:51 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Could happen . . .

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I think you're thinking about the Mogami and Mikuma which were tasked with bombarding Midway after the carriers were lost before the Japanese retreated entirely. The bombardment was called off and when the cruisers were retreating at high speed to get out of air range before daybreak, they collided. Mogami was more severely damaged and the captain jettisoned the torpedoes. Mikuma kept the torpedoes on board. When the Americans attacked in the morning, the Mikuma's torpedoes went off which led to the sinking of the ship. Mogami was mauled, but escaped. While undergoing repair she was converted to a seaplane cruiser like the Tone and Chikuma.

Collisions have happened many times, some resulted in sinkings and other times just time in repair. The nuclear carrier Enterprise hit two Soviet subs during her career. A number of DDs were sunk due to collisions. When you have ships trying to stay in formation in the dark, while under radio silence, that sort of thing happens, especially with green crews. Refueling accidents also happen. DD 444 USS Ingram was investigating a collision between the USS Buck and a freighter when she was hit by an oil tanker. Two collisions in the same area on the same day. I could see players howl if that happened to them.

Bill

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 16
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 7:17:46 AM   
Barb

RMS Queen Mary slicing through HMS Curacoa and sinking her? HMS Punjabi sunk by HMS King George V... and USS Washington being damaged by explosion of Punjabis Deth charges going off too...
HMAS Melbourne sinking HMAS Voyager in 1964? And the same ship ramming USS Frank E. Evans in 1969?

Collisions happens all the time ... And some are deadly.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 17
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 9:48:10 AM   
Rising-Sun

I like it, it will be open beta sometime end of this year. About a week ago Navy Field 2 came to Steam, it was a fun game and not realistic though. If anyone is interesting let me know we can team up

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 18
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 1:12:47 PM   
Anthropoid

Mogami and Mikuma, yep! Those are the ones I was thinking about.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 19
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 2:55:49 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Bill

They are also "pay to upgrade" games in that the game is offered for free but players can pay extra to get better equipment. This those willing to spend the money for upgrades will quickly dominate. Not a bad business model, but makes for a pretty bad game in my eyes.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 20
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 2:59:12 PM   
Anthropoid

Otherwise known as "Pay to Win!" . . . a non-trivial reason why I may never play EVE Online again . . .

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 9:14:11 PM   
wdolson

A lot of social media games are like that. At one time there were waves of games popular on Facebook. Many of these extorted money from people by giving them a taste for free, then charging them to get better stuff once they were hooked.

Bill

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 22
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 9:30:34 PM   
Malagant

Accidental collision is one thing...I'm sure there was a LOT of that: but intentionally ramming an enemy with a Carrier? Ug! :)

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/12/2015 11:59:34 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

Accidental collision is one thing...I'm sure there was a LOT of that: but intentionally ramming an enemy with a Carrier? Ug! :)

Well if your carrier has a lot of "hit points" why not?

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 24
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/13/2015 12:09:34 AM   
Jones944

I've heard that collision explained as a blue on blue collision and a fault of the initial start positions of the ships. The DD player is apparently AFK and so left the CV player in a bad situation. Why that would show up in a promotional video is beyond me, but it's not meant to really happen in the game on a regular basis.

So I've heard.

"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 25
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/13/2015 3:16:35 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Well if your carrier has a lot of "hit points" why not?

WITP carriers have hit points too - 100 of them, in 3 different pools.

Post #: 26
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/13/2015 3:40:12 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Yes, but they have worked the damage model a little better
not to mention recovering aircraft while under "heavy fires"

Not my kind of game, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 27
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/13/2015 3:41:00 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Yes, but they have worked the damage model a little better
not to mention recovering aircraft while under "heavy fires"

Not my kind of game, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun

Yeah. Definitely not realistic, but it's not really supposed to be. Realistic up to a point, sure... but it's meant to be more of a fun, smash-em-up game. *shrug* We signed up for the beta last night, hopefully we get selected and can try it.

Post #: 28
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/13/2015 8:15:22 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: patrickl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw

Looks interesting

I was sceptical but this looks like fun. Unfortunately I suspect that it is to fast paced for me to be any good at it.

Thank you for sharing.

< Message edited by Orm -- 3/13/2015 9:16:35 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 29
RE: OT : World of Warships - 3/14/2015 6:08:41 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Fun and realism rarely go together (apart for us Grognards in games that we love ) and thus we have these "light" / "arcade" style games which would, most certainly suit, much much bigger audience than Grogrand crowd that we are...

The "World of Tanks" tried, IIRC, so called "Historical Battle" modes where only real historical tanks clashed on historical battlegrounds and with historical numbers - sadly it was rather quickly removed due to lack on interest (i.e. huge majority of player disliked it because their fantasy tanks were not part of it)... I still hope it will be back...

Similarly I hope that there will be similar "Historical Battle" mode for upcoming "World of Warships"!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
I don't know if there is "Historical Battle" mode for "World of Warplanes"?

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT : World of Warships Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI