Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An offer...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An offer... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An offer... - 3/11/2003 1:14:27 AM   
Lars

Hello fellow gamers,

When playing a game with someone I find it very troublesome to pick the force. If you choose to let the computer do it, there are always risks the balance gets screwed. If you use the rarity option, you can be sure some of the most common units will be unavailable. :(
Even when you play an old friend where you have agreed an all terms, there will be those moments where you argue with yourself if you have made some choices out of line. Or you decides to not buy anything that could be questioned and end up being beaten in just a few turns. :mad:

I have been giving this a lot of thought and am now prepared to make you an offer. :rolleyes:
I am willing to help any couple to setup a game for you where I pick forces for both sides. You’ll have to specify which nations and year you like, and a rough estimate about points and map size. Also if you prefer C&C On or Off, and if it should be a low visibility scenario.
I will then make the battle with pre made or edited random maps and purchase units for both sides, set preferences to your liking and set PW. [B]But you will make all deployment your self.[/B]
After all things are set I will send the files to player 2 along with his password. The password for player 1 will be sent to him. I will use my laptop to do these battles and I only have H2H-mod installed on this, therefor I’ll be forced to limit this to H2H-mod battles only.

If anyone is interested in using this offer, please E-mail me at this address: [email]lars.harrysson@banverket.se[/email]

Happy gaming
/Lars (aka Ludwig von Helge)

:D Plays for fun! :cool:

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]
[img]http://www.redzoneforums.com/images/avatars/gia
Post #: 1
- 3/11/2003 2:16:36 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Not such a dumb notion eh, having a third party conciously set up a deliberately balanced game is always preferable.

I have a local friend that always had no restraint with DYO games for ASL. They always ended up pointless idiotic massive overly counter heavy disasters that never went anywhere real big time.

The scenarios often looked "uncool" perhaps from possessing none of the "cool" units, but were always reliably fun thanks to being balanced.

More games like Steel Panthers would benfit from umpired hand made creations.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 2
Good Idea. - 3/11/2003 5:39:02 AM   
Buzzard45

:D I like it. thanks for the offer.
Can we specify our preferences. i.e. 10% arty (mortars and 1 heavy battery) 20% AA (1/2 and 1/2 mobile and fixed) 25% infantry, 25% armour. Make sure of ammo and FO(1 or 2) and transport for the guns and infantry with the balance of the points.

:confused: :confused:

Or is that too much?:eek:

Yeah, I think it is. Maybe just "gimme some Tigers and other stuff":)

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 3
Re: Good Idea. - 3/11/2003 6:08:19 AM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buzzard45
[B]:D I like it. thanks for the offer.
Can we specify our preferences. i.e. 10% arty (mortars and 1 heavy battery) 20% AA (1/2 and 1/2 mobile and fixed) 25% infantry, 25% armour. Make sure of ammo and FO(1 or 2) and transport for the guns and infantry with the balance of the points.

:confused: :confused:

Or is that too much?:eek:

Yeah, I think it is. Maybe just "gimme some Tigers and other stuff":) [/B][/QUOTE]
Hi Buzz and thanks for your replay.
Of course you can specify anything you like as long as you don't tell your playing partner, but it would take more time and I think it wouldn't be as much fun.
I would rather like if you told me that you like it armor heavy or bad weather/lo visability or similar things. It would then be more of a surprise to you, just like opening a gift at christmas... ;)
And you can be sure that units will have thier transport if needed, and AA units if ther's risk of encounter aircraft.
But you won't be garanteed to have Tigers or ammo dumps, in fact it may be rare. It all depends of what your countarpart have.

Find a partner and send me a mail, then we can test it. :)

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 4
- 3/11/2003 7:03:06 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Nah, trying to always get in a bit of this and a bit of that is no better than just doing it yourself.

My best advice, is assume the person making the scenario has a clue what they are doing, and then just pick a side and go with it.

I have had Tigers shot out from under me by junk forces, they are just tanks.

I have stood off multiple KVs with garbage.

I have literally wandered through German armour in Matilda's laughing at how ineffectual they can be.

I have lined up several 88's and then just left my half tracks in a parking lot in the rear, because all my infantry are to busy eating popcorn to fight.

I have watched British 8 inch artillery mock 88's by just blowing up the map and using my troops to sponge off the defenders from the objective hexes.

If a person buys troops with a specific agenda, the opponent usually is just rolling the dice. Did my cheap shot beat his cheap shot.

Playing a custom made scenario though is more fun. Trying to win with a force made to look like a real force that actually occurred at some time is more fun.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 5
- 3/11/2003 12:42:59 PM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Nah, trying to always get in a bit of this and a bit of that is no better than just doing it yourself.

Playing a custom made scenario though is more fun. Trying to win with a force made to look like a real force that actually occurred at some time is more fun. [/B][/QUOTE]
This is my point, exactly... ;)

And thanks for your replies, Sarge. :)

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 6
- 3/11/2003 6:59:17 PM   
Belisarius

Is this a standing offer, Lars? I'd like the idea and would like to use the opportunity when/if I find an opponent that does, too.

(yes I hate when SO players are stocking up on M3 Halftracks and Wolverines...)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 7
- 3/11/2003 9:31:57 PM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]Is this a standing offer, Lars? I'd like the idea and would like to use the opportunity when/if I find an opponent that does, too.

(yes I hate when SO players are stocking up on M3 Halftracks and Wolverines...) [/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely Bel... :D

Just drop me a mail when you found a partner. I would however ask for one favor in return... Please do a DAR if you get a game going. It could provide some good PR. :p

Hopefully someday :rolleyes: the whole community will be filled with people setting up games for each other.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 8
- 3/11/2003 9:56:50 PM   
Warhorse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]Is this a standing offer, Lars? I'd like the idea and would like to use the opportunity when/if I find an opponent that does, too.

(yes I hate when SO players are stocking up on M3 Halftracks and Wolverines...) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, especially when the Soviets diodn't even use halftracks for carring infantry like that!! They were used for armored HQ vehicles, liason, and scouting duties, NOT APC's!!! They should be used for scenario design only IMO.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 9
- 3/11/2003 10:15:26 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warhorse
[B]Yeah, especially when the Soviets diodn't even use halftracks for carring infantry like that!! They were used for armored HQ vehicles, liason, and scouting duties, NOT APC's!!! They should be used for scenario design only IMO. [/B][/QUOTE]

My point exactly. :cool:

Thanks, Lars - I'll get back to you! :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 10
- 3/12/2003 11:18:41 AM   
banditjim

Fantastic idea! I will certainly take you up on that when I find a like minded opponent. I play on the Blitz Ladder. If anyone out there wants to try this out let me know. I have slots 4,8 and 9 open on H2H.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 11
- 3/12/2003 4:15:32 PM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by banditjim
[B]Fantastic idea! I will certainly take you up on that when I find a like minded opponent. I play on the Blitz Ladder. If anyone out there wants to try this out let me know. I have slots 4,8 and 9 open on H2H. [/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks bandit and you’re welcome, :)
I will in time make this offer on “The Blitz “ too, but I felt I was obliged to do it at Matrix first.
It is a very simple thing for me to do anyone whose played a PBEM game could do it. The thing is to make people aware of it.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 12
- 3/12/2003 8:41:56 PM   
banditjim

I understand what you are saying. That is something I would be willing to do as well for players, but I don't feel that I have enough experience playing the game to make force selections for others. Perhaps the force selections for games could be posted somewhere for these games so that people with less experience could learn from them.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 13
A great idea - 3/14/2003 12:23:27 AM   
Capt. Pixel

That's a great idea Lars.

I do find it a little ridiculous that any commander (me, for instance) can go to the motor pool and pick and choose what formations are going to join in the fight tomorrow. That alone flies in the face of 'realism'. :rolleyes:

A truly great commander can achieve a victory even with less than ideal equipment and men to work with. I don't see alot of gamers here jumping to [I]that[/I] challenge. :p

But, of course, the Auto purchase feature is just about as lame as the Auto deploy feature. And the Rarity feature, although a useful guideline, is truly ridiculous when used to select forces.

You solution would work best, but where do we get more volunteers? I could envision you swamped in short order (particularly when making this offer during a World Cup contest) :eek:

I would be willing to help a few gamers set up per Lars' suggestion. If you're interested, PM me. (Note: if I get too swamped, I may have to decline new requests. So be forwarned) :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 14
Re: A great idea - 3/14/2003 6:04:07 AM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
[B]That's a great idea Lars.

I do find it a little ridiculous that any commander (me, for instance) can go to the motor pool and pick and choose what formations are going to join in the fight tomorrow. That alone flies in the face of 'realism'. :rolleyes:

A truly great commander can achieve a victory even with less than ideal equipment and men to work with. I don't see alot of gamers here jumping to [I]that[/I] challenge. :p

But, of course, the Auto purchase feature is just about as lame as the Auto deploy feature. And the Rarity feature, although a useful guideline, is truly ridiculous when used to select forces.

You solution would work best, but where do we get more volunteers? I could envision you swamped in short order (particularly when making this offer during a World Cup contest) :eek:

I would be willing to help a few gamers set up per Lars' suggestion. If you're interested, PM me. (Note: if I get too swamped, I may have to decline new requests. So be forwarned) :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]
Thank you CP,
This is what I've hoped for all the time, that people are jumping in and make it a common way to start games. :)
How wonderful would it not be if gamers just put up a request for a battle on the "opponents wanted" or AAR/DAR" forums instead of starting the bargain about what's allowed and not when starting a game. I think it should be as easy as picking up a playing partner.

Sorry to say I've only noticed two players that has shown any interest. It's Bel and BanditJim (thank you Bel and Jim).
As soon as I know what theatre of war and the other stuff, I'll get started with those. You are welcome to jump in right after that CP. :)

It's funny you mentioned the WC. I try to follow a few games there and can't help thinking how much whining there is about the setup. :rolleyes:
If you let someone else set up the game for you, at least you have someone to blame if you loose... ;)

Anyway, thanks for jumping in on this CP. Maybe you have an old map you would like to have some use for or even smooth that old scenario off which you never got finished. Here is the perfect spot where such things come to use. :D

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 15
- 3/15/2003 2:42:43 AM   
Wild Bill

Nice offer, Lars. Ever the gentleman!

Why not have the players submit a brief summary of the battle they want to play and the forces they want to both use, armor heavy, grunt fight, etc, and allow the "picker" for want of a better word choose the equal forces and surprise the guys?

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 16
- 3/15/2003 3:21:58 AM   
VikingNo2

I would like to try this, set up anything just want to try.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 17
- 3/15/2003 5:24:39 AM   
banditjim

I agree..... that would be neat to have a more random and challenging battle, not to mention pretty even. Count me in as an opponent. Wonder if this would justify a separate ladder using only games arranged this way? Also... slots....what is the effect of carrying on two games in the same slot? Will the settings of one game override the other? Could several games be played in the same slot by deleting one save and unzipping another game turn into that slot?

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 18
- 3/15/2003 5:46:24 AM   
VikingNo2

I don't think it will effect the game I do it all the time and don't have a problem, what counties?

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 19
You have some takers - 3/15/2003 6:54:25 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Buzzard45 and I would like to give this a try, Lars.

I'll contact you by email, but the basic set up is:

Capt. Pixel - Poland
Buzzard45 - France

3000 points each, Small map, Meeting engagement, 6'40

Random Map, vis, duration, weather

Everything On except C&C
Ammo set to Limited (Not Reduced)

Reasonable proportions of artillery, armor and infantry (give the Poles plenty of ATGs so they have [I]something[/I] that can affect French armor, please?)

We'll post a DAR with lots of friendly banter (at Buzzard's request :D )

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 20
- 3/15/2003 8:28:21 AM   
banditjim

Viking, is that an offer to play? If so, great! Any country for my part, doesn't matter. I do like European Theatre. You can go ahead and put down your prefs and maybe we can get a game setup for us. Just email me the turn when ready.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 21
- 3/15/2003 8:32:25 AM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B]Nice offer, Lars. Ever the gentleman!

Why not have the players submit a brief summary of the battle they want to play and the forces they want to both use, armor heavy, grunt fight, etc, and allow the "picker" for want of a better word choose the equal forces and surprise the guys?

Wild Bill [/B][/QUOTE]
Ohh, Thank you Sir! :)

I'm very happy you liked the idea WB. To have the recognition from the Great Master of SPWaW is the best compliment one can get. :D

And yes, I think both players' state their "preferences" and then I'll mix it to make a balanced play, with a few surprises. One advantage I find with this is that you may play with units never used in ordinary PBEM game, and that you can create a setup with major nations vs. minor and have them playable.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VikingNo2
[B]I would like to try this, set up anything just want to try.[/B][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Originally posted by banditjim
[B]I agree..... that would be neat to have a more random and challenging battle, not to mention pretty even. Count me in as an opponent. Wonder if this would justify a separate ladder using only games arranged this way? Also... slots....what is the effect of carrying on two games in the same slot? Will the settings of one game override the other? Could several games be played in the same slot by deleting one save and unzipping another game turn into that slot? [/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks guys,

I think I have a battle for you almost ready. US/Brit vs. Italy/Ger 1943? C&C on or off? It's originally made for C&C on so I may have to adjust it a bit if you choose C&C off. Let me know... :cool:

No banditjim, there's no side effect on carrying two games in the same slot, I do that all the time.
I do however save the mail containing the zip for a while if anything should happend.
I have also learned that you can erase the .rec file if you have trouble loading the game. Gmenfan stated that in another thread.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
[B]Buzzard45 and I would like to give this a try, Lars.

I'll contact you by email, but the basic set up is:

Capt. Pixel - Poland
Buzzard45 - France

3000 points each, Small map, Meeting engagement, 6'40

Random Map, vis, duration, weather

Everything On except C&C
Ammo set to Limited (Not Reduced)

Reasonable proportions of artillery, armor and infantry (give the Poles plenty of ATGs so they have something that can affect French armor, please?)

We'll post a DAR with lots of friendly banter (at Buzzard's request ) [/B][/QUOTE]

Very good CP, I'll get right on it. :cool:
Give me a day or two and I think I should have something for you.

/Lars

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 22
Hot Diggity! - 3/15/2003 2:35:04 PM   
Capt. Pixel

Very cool , Lars. Thanks :D

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 23
- 3/15/2003 3:06:35 PM   
VikingNo2

CC off please, this is going to be interesting

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 24
- 3/15/2003 3:15:23 PM   
Wild Bill

Trust me, Lars is about to take to a land of blood and guts...one you won't forget soon. BOYAH!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 25
- 3/15/2003 9:47:50 PM   
banditjim

I agree with Viking.... C and C off. Otherwise let 'er rip! I am looking forward to a real battle against Viking.

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 26
- 3/16/2003 6:23:04 AM   
Lynch

This is a great idea.

An endless number of scenarios, which neither opponent can have any idea of before playing it.

I´m looking forward to my game against Buzzard45, and thanks for doing this for all of us.:)

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 27
- 3/18/2003 2:10:57 AM   
Wild Bill

I think it should be agreed to trust with no recrimnations, no bitching once you have your force. You fight with what you got! Let's not attack the man who is providing the tools with which to fight. Agreed?

Wild BIll

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 28
Of Course - 3/18/2003 2:19:47 AM   
Buzzard45

[B]I think it should be agreed to trust with no recrimnations, no bitching once you have your force. You fight with what you got! Let's not attack the man who is providing the tools with which to fight. Agreed?

Wild BIll [/B][/QUOTE]

That should go without saying. Since you put it so eloquently, Agreed.

:confused: Wait a minute? You can say bitch on this thread?:rolleyes:

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 29
- 3/18/2003 8:14:32 AM   
Lars

[B]I think it should be agreed to trust with no recrimnations, no bitching once you have your force. You fight with what you got! Let's not attack the man who is providing the tools with which to fight. Agreed?

Wild BIll [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks WB for covering for me... :)

You know this is another good thing with this way of playing. You will never know if you have the sronger or weaker force.
But you can be sure that you'll have a chance if you play wisely and you know you don't have to protect yourself from hordes of MG-Jeeps with Bazooka units. ;)

Thanks for your support WB
/Lars

(in reply to Lars)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An offer... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI