Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 7/5/2012 8:00:33 PM   
Connfire

Me too!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 31
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 8/21/2012 11:46:28 PM   
Cmdrcain

If you do finish this it will be a good Mod to use in WITP-AE

Do you know if the End date is hard coded same as the start?

:) a much bigger game would be for WW I to be bypassed and WW I start in 1941 instead of WW II, with Mod starting with old 20-30's type ships.. but able go further in an end time like 1950 not 1945 and so via Upgrades and really late reinf's bring in some of the WW Ii era ships and planes...

Game would start off then with little air war combat and it beinbg surface action plus land battles then around 1945 the Bi planes dissapear and the 40's ers planes and carriers come out...

:)

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 32
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 8/22/2012 12:04:55 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Connfire

Sorry for my absence, Kirk, I've been extraordinarily busy lately.

I've never played AE, though I tend to be a bit of a micro-manager anyway, for better or worse. I do feel that War Plan Orange deserves more attention then it has received. I know that the last time the designer came through this forum, back in 2009 he did not sound as if WPO would be updated any time soon, if ever. Of course, I believe that was before Slitherine paired up with Matrix, so who knows?

I can't say one way or another if I'd like to see a WPO-AE, only because I don't have any experience to reference AE with. I do think the WPO game engine could use some tweaking. If Matrix does indeed not intend to do any updates, then maybe they could expand and update the EDITORS so people like you can have more creative and strategic options beyond adding units, updating the artwork, and trying to trick the AI into being challenging.

WITP-AE is far different and better then WITP/WPO engine..

AE includes stacking limits like on an atoll it is 6,000 troops.. WITP and WPO allow you to put like 100,000 troops on an atoll

AE basically is really WITP with all the needed improvements and bug fix's..

AE replaces WITP

WPO was based on WITP engine and all its problems so what is needed simply is whats being done here... convert the data over to a mod use in WITP-AE

If Matrix were on board here they could go into WPO and fix the hard code so the Mod would work in right Era..

In Fact really I suspect with a few changes like the start/end dates and simply converting the WPO database to WITP-AE Matrix could put out a WPO-AE edition..

If economy were better... like it was 5-10 years back... Matrix might in fact been looking into such but I suspect economy as it is Matrix cant waste resources on such.. as a full new game..

But It likely is doable... the database of all the ships etc is already done... all matrix would need is to put it into the WITP_AE engine with needed edits- for one due to stacking limits some WPO troop levels would need changing otherwise game would start with like 12,000 troops on a 6,000 atoll

The AE stacking limits reall change the equation, an attacker can still overload that in attacking like allies can invade an atoll with 50,000 troops but the penalty in higher supply cost etc means if wins must fast reduce to the 6000 atoll limit...

On land theres also penalties in if too many troops are stacked in a city..

AE made ground combat more realistic vis a vis WPO and WITP

Then the bug fixs and other things like ability to set a base to STOCKPILE supplies.. where in WPO if try... on land other bases suck away supplies..

Alot of other bug fixs and enhancements in AE which WPO needs...

The WPO engine based on WITP engine doesn't need fixing, it needs discarding and simply WPO database moved into the WITP_AE engine... A WITP_AE game emptied of WITP data and WPO data put in with those needed tweaks to account for like the AE stacking limits on islands.
WPO_AE

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 33
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 8/22/2012 12:34:11 PM   
kirk23

I also feel that the WPO engine needs discarding completely,Admirals Edition is better in every way,this project has stalled recently due to me doing PANDORAS BOX scenario,but now that is done,I hope to get back to this conversion,I hate to say it but doing anything more with WPO would be like flogging a dead horse.Matrix ain't interested in it any more,as no one from Matrix have ever posted anything on the forum since I have been involved,so for me PANDORAS BOX scenario will be my last for the WPO engine database,unless Matrix does something to change my mind this will be my swan song here guys,I have done enough I feel for the game.

It's a real pity that the AI sucks, I mean while testing the scenarios I have been doing letting the AI play against it's self is a joke,I have had a huge Axis based taskforce off over one hundred ships sail straight passed, an allied port within one hex distance from the port, with a large naval force based at the port,complete with Dreadnoughts,Cruisers etc,and the AI did nothing,I think all the sailors must have been away on holiday or pissed,anyway the huge Japanese force sailed on unmolested to it's destination.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 8/22/2012 12:47:19 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 34
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 9/29/2012 4:06:00 PM   
kirk23

Ok my next scenario will be this Admirals Edition conversion,I'm back working on it so I won't be around here for a while.

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 35
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 9/29/2012 7:00:06 PM   
kirk23

I was going to dumb this scenario down by using only the best weapon size and not different MK 1,11 ,111 etc but I have changed my mind,I just bought this new book and so all ships will use the weapons suites they served with,from top to bottom,Main armament - ASW all will be historic,alot more work but worth it I think time will tell.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 9/29/2012 7:05:13 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 36
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 9/29/2012 7:04:32 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I was going to dumb this scenario down buy using only the best weapon size and not different MK 1,11 ,111 etc but I have changed my mind,I just bought this new book and so all ships will use the weapons suites they served with,from top to bottom,Main armament - ASW all will be historic,alot more work but worth it I think time will tell.

Photo did not load as expected so uploaded again!

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 37
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/11/2012 12:03:02 AM   
Connfire

I'm really glad to hear that you're going to continue with the historic weapon suites, rather then going generic, Kirk. Good luck with the project. Is that the SMS Seydlitz on the cover?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 38
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/11/2012 6:01:21 PM   
kirk23

Hi Rob yes its SMS Seydlitz on the cover,the implementaion of the historic weapons suites for all the ships,is a massive amount of work,I'm doing all this in the background at the present time.I was also thinking with xmas just around the corner,that I would release a new scenario based on 1926 - 1930,this scenario wil be like the stock version but better,it will be just the forces that stock scenario uses,so no big German,Italian or Austrian influence.

Make it so!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 39
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/12/2012 12:37:42 AM   
Connfire

That sound great Kirk. One of the major things I'd advise, however, is to strike more balance between the US and Japanese air forces. By the beginning of 1929, the US is fighting with a WiTP fleet against Japan's WPO fleet, to the point that its virtually pointless to fight as Japan against a competent Allied player.

Suggestions include adding some late 1920s plane classes to Japan, some of which are actually historic but for some unknown reason are not in the game. Either nerfing certain classes' range and ceiling, or adding to others, would be a good idea. Also, Japan ought to have an updated machine gun for its fighters - its absurd to think that by the late 1920s, after 3-4 years of combat Japan is still taking to the skies with WWI-era guns in its fighters.

Including the Kii class as late game BB reinforcements would also be desirable, so one bad battle doesn't completely doom the Imperial Navy beyond hope of recovery.

Japan has enough stacked against it in terms of quantity of weapons being thrown against it in the late game. Giving the Allies aircraft for which there are practically no counter makes them unplayable by the late 1920s.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 40
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/22/2012 11:57:38 AM   
kirk23

quote:

Hi Rob don't worry the Japanese aircraft will be improved for this Admirals Edition scenario.Here is a little taster for Japanese ships already added to the database.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 41
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/22/2012 12:07:33 PM   
kirk23

All new ship build list for Admirals Edition,for anyone who does not own WITP AE may I say I think you should take the plunge and get a copy,because without it you won't be able to play this massive Dreadnoughts in the Pacific scenario I'm working on,believe me when I say when its finnished it will be worth the wait,this will take about a year to complete so I'm looking at about Xmas 2013!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 10/22/2012 12:08:39 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 42
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/22/2012 12:37:15 PM   
kirk23

Japanese Pre-Dreadnought Shikishima in game.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 43
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/23/2012 5:27:23 PM   
Connfire

Looks great Kirk. I'll likely buy AE once your scenario is completed.

Its been a bit of time since Matrix acknowledged that there may indeed be a demand for WPO-AE after all. I would hope that they're still considering taking on the project, and letting us know one way or the other so you'd know if your valiant efforts are paralleling theirs or not. If for some reason they've decided the project is not feasible on their end, perhaps they would consider throwing their support behind yours.

Whatever Matrix is doing, not doing, considering, or haven't considered yet, it would be nice if we could get an update from them.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 44
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 10/23/2012 9:05:46 PM   
kirk23

Hi Rob, I'm like you, I don't know if Matrix will or won't do anything,perhaps they look at it this way, I'm working on doing a mod of Admirals Edition as is,so whatever way you look at it,I will have created a new game on my own.It is a massive undertaking to do alone,but I'm happy to tackle it head on.

Make it so!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 45
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 11/23/2012 9:00:23 PM   
JeffroK

Gday Kirk,

I hope your project gets to fruition.

While a WITPAE player, I often come back to WPO for a break.

For those a bit wary of "micromangement" in AE, its only there if the 1000's of small units of WW2 are added. basic WPO scenario dont have the myriad of base forces, engineers, port units, AAA etc so the game is much more manageable. The game isnt massive, its the detail that can be added that makes it so.

Put more effort into the land forces, WPO seemed to take WITP units and their names, far from what real life would have had.

Re the dates, get in contact with michaelm, master programmer on the WITPAE engine and he might be able to help, at least he could provide a definative answer (I think some guys working on a Med War scenario use different dates??)

In a way its a pity Matrix didnt include a WPO scenario with AE, and I encourage you to keep bashing away at it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 46
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 12/29/2012 10:27:14 AM   
kirk23

This scenario will be restarted,but its a very long way from being finished at the present time.

Make it so!

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 47
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 12/29/2012 3:22:39 PM   
cowboy32b

I look forward to this mod...I do enjoy this era.

Thanks in advance for the hard work

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 48
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 3/21/2013 6:51:39 AM   
Bane

Hope this is still going - kick ass!

Second to the Last Samurai...

"What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

(in reply to cowboy32b)
Post #: 49
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 3/21/2013 10:02:40 AM   
kirk23

Still very much a work in progress!

Make it so!

(in reply to Bane)
Post #: 50
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 3/27/2015 6:21:25 AM   
kevin_hx

I just remember that AE cannot start before 1941.12.7.
How does it work with scenario war plan orange during 1922-1936?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 51
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 3/27/2015 5:46:41 PM   
Rysyonok

The date is faked. E.g. 1/1/1922 becomes 1/1/1942 for all visual and database purposes.

(in reply to kevin_hx)
Post #: 52
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 12/6/2015 12:15:56 AM   
WWII44

Is this still being worked on or is it dead?

(in reply to Rysyonok)
Post #: 53
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 5/18/2016 11:30:57 AM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: WWII44

Is this still being worked on or is it dead?

Sorry its taking so long to do, but the scenario is still being worked on, I'm also working on a mod for Commander The Great War. Its a massive amount of work creating these scenarios, and I'm only a one man band, doing it all!

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to WWII44)
Post #: 54
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 5/18/2016 5:12:35 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

GREAT, I will follow you

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 55
RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO - 7/19/2020 3:31:10 PM   
JamesHunt

Can this be downloaded somewhere?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> RE: DREADNOUGHTS IN THE PACIFIC SCENARIO Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI