Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another R&D question...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Another R&D question... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 3:06:55 PM   
JockJimmy

Are 2x 15(0) R&D factories equal to 1x 30(0) in the production of R&D points?

I understand 30(0)are as big as you want to go but I can see advantages to using smaller factories:
(i)Two chances to repair a turn.
(ii) Will generate R&D points as soon as one factory is repaired.
(iii) Also you to spread your R&D (and eventually production) around many sites.

Thanks in advance. JJ.
Post #: 1
RE: Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 3:40:06 PM   
Spidery

Each size fully repaired 15 factory produces an R&D point (2 if engine bonus available) on 50% of days. Each size 30 such factory produces a point (or 2) every day. So the mean value is the same but there is more randomness in the result.

Although there are two chances to repair, each chance is half that of the chance with a size 30 factory. The mean time to repair from an un-repaired state is the same in both cases. There is a small chance of an advantage because one factory may repair and advance the due date before the other factory has repaired.

(in reply to JockJimmy)
Post #: 2
RE: Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 3:53:34 PM   
Chickenboy

Nice cogent reply, Spidery.

The unstated downside of this approach, JockJimmy, is in 'using up' your precious R&D factories with small, penny packet research programs.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 3
RE: Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 4:11:10 PM   
JockJimmy

Thanks for the replies. This is just what I was looking for.

@Chickenboy: Whilst I'm only starting to grasp the complexities of playing Japan it almost seems that I have more R&D factories than I can use, or rather expand. With approx 76x R&D factories surely it is too expensive to expand them all to 30(0)? Is in not better to have 2x15(0) rather than 1x 30(0) + 1x unused?

JJ.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 4:15:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JockJimmy

Thanks for the replies. This is just what I was looking for.

@Chickenboy: Whilst I'm only starting to grasp the complexities of playing Japan it almost seems that I have more R&D factories than I can use, or rather expand. With approx 76x R&D factories surely it is too expensive to expand them all to 30(0)? Is in not better to have 2x15(0) rather than 1x 30(0) + 1x unused?

JJ.

My opinion: I want every R&D factory that I can lay my hands on as soon as possible, "producing" R&D as soon as possible. I want late war airframes and engines produced mid-war. I want mid-war airframes and engines to be produced early-mid war. It's the only way to keep a competitive edge against the Allied late war juggernaut.

So, in your example [2x15(0) versus 1x30 +1x unused] it's probably a push. My assertion is that you should not have 1x unused research factory anywhere in the early war timeframe.

(in reply to JockJimmy)
Post #: 5
RE: Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 4:51:32 PM   
JockJimmy

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just being conservative as I have warnings about over-expansion ringing in my ears and I don't want to get to mid '43 (after hundreds of hours of playing!) and find everything falls apart because of a mistake made during the first week.
Therefore I was looking to have the capacity of about 600x 1-E and 200x 2-E per month by mid '43 (plus a concurrent R&D effort), or 36k HI p/m, is this too conservative?

JJ.

< Message edited by JockJimmy -- 3/30/2015 5:52:37 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Another R&D question... - 3/30/2015 6:33:40 PM   
fcharton

quote:

As the game advances, you will want to convert some of those R&D factories to production units when the model they research is ready. This lets you start producing at once, and saves on repair costs (unless the new model is an upgrade of one you are already building). You will especially need those conversions if you play PDU Off, because the number of different models you have to produce will increase as the war goes on.

As a result, you will "lose" R&D factories over time, and this is best done one factory at a time (to maximize future R&D).

In the end, you want all of your R&D factories to have been built to 30, and most of them to have been turned to production. At 1000 SP per repair, this means a lot of supply (for 76 30 pt factories, over 2 million supply points...)

Francois

< Message edited by fcharton -- 3/30/2015 7:36:31 PM >

(in reply to JockJimmy)
Post #: 7
RE: Another R&D question... - 4/5/2015 6:12:41 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just being conservative as I have warnings about over-expansion ringing in my ears and I don't want to get to mid '43 (after hundreds of hours of playing!) and find everything falls apart because of a mistake made during the first week.
Therefore I was looking to have the capacity of about 600x 1-E and 200x 2-E per month by mid '43 (plus a concurrent R&D effort), or 36k HI p/m, is this too conservative?

JJ.

It all depends on your opponent and how aggressive you are. In my game in April 1943, I currently have factories for a total of 527 engines for IJN aircraft and 602 engines for IJA aircraft per month. Of those 1129 engines per month, I currently have 527 shut off. If you have an aggressive opponent, your numbers will be higher. Note that my factory totals are the following:

IJN
220 fighter
16 TB (very light Kate losses to date mainly because I have yet to fight a carrier battle)
70 DB
6 Rcn
27 FP
60 2E LB
10 FB
14 TR

IJA
248 fighter
130 LB
12 TR
15 FB
20 Rcn

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to JockJimmy)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Another R&D question... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI