Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Learning to love Spam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Learning to love Spam Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Learning to love Spam - 3/10/2003 10:30:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

"Spam" has acquired a negative connotation of late. In fact; however, I have learned to stop fearing Spam and now love it. Indeed, sometimes a "Spam Attack" can be a good thing. I found a pic of a vessel type that might be considered for inclusion for future UV patches.

It's a harmless JPEG file BTW. :)

Also here is a link to the "Spam Museum...Spam in WWII" hosted by Hormel.

http://media.hormel.com/anm/templates/spam_museum.asp?articleid=146&zoneid=24

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
SPAM - 3/10/2003 11:40:06 PM   
mogami

Hi I like SPAM. Always have. Every part of the pig except the squeal.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2
- 3/11/2003 2:10:58 AM   
Drex

I remember my folks feeding me spam as a kid on a regular basis. I liked it.

Post #: 3
- 3/11/2003 2:35:39 AM   
SoulBlazer

I use it for healthier hamburgers during the summer, when I eat most of them anyway. :D

Post #: 4
I Love Spam... - 3/11/2003 4:28:06 AM   
RevRick

in fact I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and cheese. Want another dog?

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 5
- 3/11/2003 5:33:02 AM   
Mike_B20

I'm glad they didn't tell us exactly what's in it, pig parts wise.
For some odd reason I sometimes get an untrollable urge to pick up a tin when shopping.:eek:

Never give up, never surrender

Post #: 6
- 3/11/2003 7:00:50 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike_B20
[B]I'm glad they didn't tell us exactly what's in it, pig parts wise.
For some odd reason I sometimes get an untrollable urge to pick up a tin when shopping.:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

The "party line" is that it contains nothing but pork shoulder, ham, spices and other seasonings, and preservatives (the name comes from a contest that was held to rejuvenate interest in the product after Hormel had lost its controlling market share back in the '30s. It supposedly stands for "Shoulder of Pork and hAM"). I have a feeling that "shoulder" and "ham" (not to mention "pork") are - shall we say -"liberally" defined by Hormel.

Everybody ought to check out the SPAM museum in Austin, Minnesota. What a great road trip destination for dad, mom, and the kids, eh? Not to forget Rover, of course ...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 7
- 3/11/2003 7:05:36 AM   
SoulBlazer

Mind you it was normaly the soilders who had to eat more Spam then the sailors. The seamen always get better food. :D

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

Post #: 8
- 3/11/2003 9:52:04 AM   
Cap Mandrake

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike_B20
[B]I'm glad they didn't tell us exactly what's in it, pig parts wise.
For some odd reason I sometimes get an untrollable urge to pick up a tin when shopping.:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

Mike, life is short, succumb to your hedonistic urges! I once heard it was pork shoulder and ham, but there may be some other goodies thrown in. On a backpacking trip once my wife and I didn't take enough food, when we finally sacrificed the single can of Spam, cut it up into slices and tossed onto a hot griddle it made my jaw hurt I was salivating so bad :D

Post #: 9
- 3/11/2003 9:59:26 AM   
HawaiiFive-O

[QUOTE]It supposedly stands for "Shoulder of Pork and hAM").[/QUOTE]

Interesting, growing up in Hawaii Spam was a big part of my diet. I was always taught it stood for SPiced hAM.

Now my wife, from Texas, won't touch my Spam breakfasts, calling it "trailer park cuisine".

But I love it :D

Post #: 10
- 3/11/2003 10:28:41 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HawaiiFive-O
[B]Interesting, growing up in Hawaii Spam was a big part of my diet. I was always taught it stood for SPiced hAM.

Now my wife, from Texas, won't touch my Spam breakfasts, calling it "trailer park cuisine".

But I love it :D [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I thought it stood for, too, but fiddling around on all the SPAM sites disclosed that the word was submitted as a result of a contest, so who really knows? It could be "Swine Pecker and Anononymous Meat," for all we know.

Tell your wife that if you save up enough cans, you can build her a brand new trailer...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 11
- 3/11/2003 2:10:36 PM   
bradfordkay

My best friend in high school days said it stood for SPhincter hAM. I kinda lost my appetite for it then...

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 12
- 3/11/2003 2:20:37 PM   
Mojo

Secret to good Spam.

Sliced thin, fried hard.

Just like Mom used to make.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

Post #: 13
- 3/11/2003 6:24:40 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
Can remember in the Marines, if we had some money (between paydays) and it was chow time, we would go to the PX and pick up a can and some bread and a can of pop and go back to the barracks and pig (oops, sorry for the pun) out

of course, being in the Grunts, we kind of liked C-rats too

which is kind of sick, since the mess hall, always had some C-rats cooked up at the end of the chow line in case you didn't want what they had made that day

ahhhh the good old days, if you were not tactical and could have a fire, bean and winnies with suger and cheese (dang getting hungry) ahhh

being Plt Sgt, I passed out the chow :)

of course the hassle was when you were tactical, and it was winter time, nothing like a can of ham or beefsteak (where they came up with that name I will never know) carried under the arm pit to try and unfreese/cook it

Spam was good, but to be honest, haven't have any since I got out :))))))))

HARD_Sarge

Post #: 14
- 3/11/2003 9:58:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bradfordkay
[B]My best friend in high school days said it stood for SPhincter hAM. I kinda lost my appetite for it then... [/B][/QUOTE]

"SPhincter hAM"....oh that is hilarious :D :D :D

Post #: 15
Spam - 3/12/2003 12:32:41 AM   
mogami

Greetings, Once while on the road (circa 98 or 99)
I was between Beaver Utah and Arizona. (I left Interstate 70 in Beaver)
Around sundown I was wore out from walking and getting hungry. So I sat down beside the road and opened a can of SPAM. (I always carry a few of the smaller sized cans) I eat the stuff right out of the can with a fork.
While thus engaged a coyote appeared a few feet away. He displayed no evil intent so I tossed a chunk of SPAM in his direction.
After a while he decided it was OK to eat the stuff and did so. Then he sat down. (maintaining his distance) But eyed the can and licked his chops. So I tossed another chunk over to him. I ended up basically splitting the can with him.
By now it was dark and since I do not stay beside the road during hours of darkness I found a good spot for my sleeping bag and went to sleep.
In the morning I opened another can of SPAM for breakfast and no sooner had I done so then the coyote appeared. This time he had company. He brought his wife/girlfriend and kids to breakfast. I tossed them one can while eating another.
Then I began the march down the road. These coyotes kept me company for many hours/miles.
Several days of traveling together ended beside the Colorado River. I was sitting beside the bridge (taking dips now and then to cool off from the heat)
When a family of Navaho Indians stopped and offered me a ride. They stopped they said because of the coyotes sitting beside me. (and an owl in a nearby tree) They thought I had magic and they wanted me to intervene with some magic they believed a Hopi witch had cast upon them. They did not believe my protests of no magical ability. At last I felt compelled to cast a spell in their behalf. (Hope it worked.)

Post #: 16
- 3/12/2003 12:49:03 AM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
the Magic of SPAM

HARD_Sarge

Post #: 17
- 3/12/2003 3:27:17 AM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]Secret to good Spam.

Sliced thin, fried hard.

Just like Mom used to make. [/B][/QUOTE]

And slathered with mustard.

Growing up we had SPAM probably once a week or so - with pork-n-beans and fried potatoes.
Still have it on rare occasions.:D :)

Post #: 18
- 3/12/2003 5:16:01 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Mogami;

Beautiful mystical story of life in the wilderness and the interaction of man with the natural world and Native Americans. Name the coyote"two socks" and maybe we can shop the idea in Hollywood!!! Do you look anything like Kevin Costner?

Post #: 19
Costner - 3/12/2003 6:16:07 AM   
mogami

Hi, No I look more like a shrunken version of Rasputian.

Post #: 20
Re: Costner - 3/12/2003 6:33:07 AM   
Cap Mandrake

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Hi, No I look more like a shrunken version of Rasputian. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well...maybe we can get John Walker Linh to play you.

Post #: 21
- 3/12/2003 6:46:26 AM   
Full Moon

Who is Rasputian?:confused:

"War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory."
Georges Clemenceau

Post #: 22
Rasputin - 3/12/2003 6:49:35 AM   
mogami

Greetings. Full Moon.
Grigory Rasputin is without question one of the most scandalous figures in Russian history. This randy mystic from Siberia arrived in St. Petersburg in 1911 and within a few years had become one of the most influential men in government circles. His ability to remain in such a high position despite widely publicized bouts of drinking and womanizing is no doubt the source of tremendous envy among political figures around the world today.

Rasputin's rise to preeminence was due to his close relationship with Nicholas II's wife, Alexandra. The heir to the throne, Alexis, suffered from hemophaelia, and only Rasputin could do what the top medical professors could not: he could stop the boy's bleeding. Because of this, Alexandra believed he was a holy man sent to protect Alexis and she kept him close by at all times, despite the fact that he rarely bathed.

Rasputin is as famous for his death as he is for his life. At the end of 1916, a group of aristocrats in cahoots with the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich (a cousin of Nicholas II) decided that Rasputin's influence had grown too great and that he had to be killed in order to save Russia. They lured him to the Yusupovsky Palace on the pretext that Prince Felix Yusupovsky would introduce Rasputin to his beautiful wife.

Rasputin was led to the cellar and fed poisoned cakes and wine, but these did not affect him. Yusupovsky then shot the monk at point blank range and Rasputin collapsed on the floor. When Yusupov went to tell his fellow conspirators the good news, they sent him back to make sure he had done the job. On returning to inspect the body, Rasputin suddenly regained consciousness and started to throttle poor Yusupov, who needless to say was completely scared out of his wits. The Prince fled the cellar, screaming for help; when they returned Rasputin was gone. They found him in the yard crawling towards the gate and proceeded to shoot and bludgeon him. They then bound him and tossed him into the river. When Rasputin's body was found, his bonds were broken and his lungs were filled with water, showing that he didn't actually die until he was submerged in the frozen waters.

I don't think he looked like Johnny Walker.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
- 3/12/2003 2:07:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

You are right...he doesnt really look like John Walker Linh...I had only seen illustrations which made him looks kinda nuts like Linh after his capture.

However, he does remind me of another famous figure. Take a look at the side by side pics....give the gent on the right a vente capuccino and they could be twins :)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
- 3/12/2003 2:33:52 PM   
Hard Sarge

it been a while, you got any pic's of Stonewall Jackson, if I don't have my General's mixed up, thought he kind of looked like Rasp also

but got to admit, Bull sure is close

HARD_Sarge

Post #: 25
- 3/12/2003 9:50:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hard Sarge
[B]it been a while, you got any pic's of Stonewall Jackson, if I don't have my General's mixed up, thought he kind of looked like Rasp also

but got to admit, Bull sure is close

HARD_Sarge [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't think Stoney will work...he has a rounder face with a receding hairline. Here is another pic of Rasputin...I would definitely cross the street if I saw this guy coming..or were downwind. The analogy with Lindh doesn't quite work.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
- 3/12/2003 11:30:23 PM   
Hard Sarge

I don't know, I seem to remember of a shot of Jackson when he was out in the field, and he didn't look like he had all his eggs in one basket, which he was a interesting type person to begin with

but I don't know, move the balding spot a little farther back and give him a smaller nose, and he sort of looks like me ?

then again, people don't walk on the same side of the street as I do either ?

HARD_Sarge

Post #: 27
- 3/13/2003 3:40:42 AM   
SoulBlazer

Stonewall Jackson DID have some very 'unusal' habits, such as sucking on lemons during battle to keep his strength up and his mind focused. He was'nt crazy, though. Heck, Grant had a habit of whittling during battle for the same reasons -- and he's been called many things (none of them true) but never crazy. :D

Rasputin, though, that's a different story. I'm not sure that guy WAS playing with a full deck.

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

Post #: 28
rasputin seems off topic to me - 3/19/2003 12:49:44 AM   
elcid

But he did not "cure" young Alexis - he only had a "vision" pronouning a serious bout of bleeding would end - and when by luck it did end his reputation in Alexandra's eyes was secure...

Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Learning to love Spam Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI