Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign (Turn 16)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign (Turn 16) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign (Tu... - 3/12/2015 5:41:32 PM   
ultradave

Following the WA disastrous late 43 invasion of Italy near Rome, which was defeated on the beaches by the German army, we've restarted this game. So I made a new AAR heading for it and I'll post some positions next turn. FOW is on, East Front box is OFF. (it was on in the first go-round).

Currently, the WA has invaded Sicily, pushed generally north and I have a blocking position a few hexes in front of Messina. That is not destined to last for long, and was just intended to slow him down a bit.

I noticed in another AAR a good way to post pictures, by changing to show unit names instead of CV's. That's a good way to post and both of us be able to use the AAR without learning too much about the other - we'll get a few more unit positions than recce showed but not how strong.

So, more to come tomorrow. I'll get some screen shots next turn. Would have this morning but I forgot and in PBEM you can't go back and get them like you could playing the AI.

< Message edited by ultradave -- 3/31/2015 5:47:01 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Post #: 1
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/12/2015 8:28:27 PM   
scout1

so how do you show unit names ...... ?

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 2
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/12/2015 11:18:12 PM   
ultradave

'y'

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 3
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/12/2015 11:19:39 PM   
ultradave

The Allies have pushed close to Messina. We'll hang on a bit and hopefully cause him to break a bit against the fortifications.

Attachment (1)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 4
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/15/2015 10:51:00 PM   
scout1

Most of Sicily is under the protection of the Allied armies ......

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 5
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/17/2015 12:15:26 AM   
ultradave

Make that all, (well almost) as the remaining units evacuate Messina. A few holdouts out west.

Attachment (1)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 6
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/29/2015 1:44:29 PM   
ultradave

F this is getting confusing it's because we have 3 games going simultaneousy. I'm the Germans with NO EF in this one. Previously the Allies cleared Sicily, Corsica and Sardinia and then it was a waiting game for the mainland invasion.

Well,

.... They're HEEEERE!!

I've manage to keep them close to the beachhead so far, and the weather is not helping him.

Attachment (1)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 7
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/29/2015 8:49:32 PM   
scout1

Contained what you knew of we should say ...... Believe there is an issue which the designers must address .... (dang if I don't keep finding these) ...
Dave has me pretty well contained .... and as I'm looking to shove all the ground units into the beach areas, darn if I don't get a personal invitation from the mayor of Taranto to come and visit .... Accordingly several Allied TF's just sail right into the harbor with the longshoremen just waiting to unload the good guys ...
Seems a little bit of a stretch that this should be allowed ..... but since I've cracked this Dave, .... better haul ass and address ......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 8
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 12:11:28 PM   
carlkay58

Italian resistance has taken control of the Taranto area and invited the Allies in. This area is very prone to do that and the AI now always garrisons Taranto with a German unit to avoid such invitations. Now for the human Axis players to learn to do the same!

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 9
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 12:23:42 PM   
ultradave

Well, learn something new every day. And nope, not a German in sight in the Taranto area.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 10
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 2:58:00 PM   
marion61

I may have to read up on the Salerno landings and see why the allies picked it. That area of the coast has to be the single worst place to invade. You have little clear terrain, backed up by mountains, with only 3 passes, and your still south of Naples. If Taranto hadn't opened up he could have just fort-ed you to death thru all that bad terrain. You would also have been suffering lots of casualties while busting out. The good thing is that your on the mainland and don't have to worry about the no invasion penalty.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 11
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 3:10:54 PM   
Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1
Contained what you knew of we should say ...... Believe there is an issue which the designers must address .... (dang if I don't keep finding these) ...
Dave has me pretty well contained .... and as I'm looking to shove all the ground units into the beach areas, darn if I don't get a personal invitation from the mayor of Taranto to come and visit .... Accordingly several Allied TF's just sail right into the harbor with the longshoremen just waiting to unload the good guys ...
Seems a little bit of a stretch that this should be allowed ..... but since I've cracked this Dave, .... better haul ass and address ......

Familiar with Operation Slapstick? That's basically how it went down in real life, although it was airborne sailed into the harbor by Italian invite.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 12
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 3:18:18 PM   
ultradave

I think I contained that breakout from Taranto but I forgot to get a screenshot (and don't want to give Scott too much info :-) ). I at least manage to throw enough in his way to keep him from zooming up the east coast. (he says hopefully).

I won't forget that lesson.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 13
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 3:59:55 PM   
marion61

I hate doing this to Scott, but if you flew naval interdiction over Taranto, those guys would probably starve? He doesn't have enough planes close enough to Taranto to beat you in the Naval interdiction game. He's too busy with Salerno. If he drops it on one to cover the other beach, or port, he won't have enough to go around and you have lots of airfields to fly from around there. You don't even have to get close with your bombers, so don't base them near Taranto. Too close to allied air cover. I know it's tempting to go after those ports, but when your in the middle of an invasion, it's not good to split your air that close to axis bomber ranges.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 14
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 8:43:04 PM   
Joel Billings

Salerno was picked as it was considered within Allied fighter range, and nothing much further north was. Also, with 8th Army moving up from the TOE, they felt the forces could link up quickly. When the Italians surrendered as hoped for, they quickly moved the airborne to Taranto. See the Salerno scenario for a good look at the situation. The Germans didn't have much to work with and had to disarm the Italians. If they had more forces, Salerno could have been much worse than it was. Since the Germans originally didn't really plan on defending Southern Italy, there just wasn't much around.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 15
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/30/2015 8:51:43 PM   
carlkay58

Salerno's location had another large bonus to the Allied commanders: the terrain was very defensible so the thought was the Axis would have a harder time throwing the Allies back into the Med.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 16
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/31/2015 12:39:48 AM   
scout1

We'll see ........ Putting everything I can ashore .....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 17
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/31/2015 1:44:03 PM   
LiquidSky

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Italian resistance has taken control of the Taranto area and invited the Allies in. This area is very prone to do that and the AI now always garrisons Taranto with a German unit to avoid such invitations. Now for the human Axis players to learn to do the same!

This human built a fortification unit in Taranto to hold off the partisans. You don't even have to fill it with a lot of manpower.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 18
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/31/2015 3:14:59 PM   
ultradave

Yes, well, I know that NOW :-)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 19
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 3/31/2015 4:50:24 PM   
ultradave

Extricating myself from the Taranto flanking maneuver. (otherwise known as "you used to be on our side"). Looks like I'll be able to form a new line without to much of a disaster along the way. A little worried about the HG division as the Allies snuck a couple of units around behind the line there. One ended up routed. The other is still there blocking the way.

Attachment (1)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 20
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/1/2015 9:43:18 PM   
scout1

Didn't get a screen shot, but Hermann may need to sell some art and buy a replacement division .....

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 21
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/1/2015 10:06:24 PM   
scout1

by gaully ..... HG slipped by ...... not sure how though

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 22
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/2/2015 12:51:14 AM   
ultradave

Everyone slipped out. A little worse for wear but they escaped. I just noticed the British 1st Airborne was completely destroyed on the invasion drop.

Moment of silence for my Airborne brothers..........

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 23
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/2/2015 1:26:57 AM   
ultradave

Defensive line established. Herman Goring division lives. It's snowing in Italy so that has slowed the Allies. Unfortunately it also greatly reduces the Luftwaffe's abilities. But considering the end run from Taranto that caught me flatfooted, I think I've managed to salvage the situation and form a good defensive line, pretty much where I would have if I had to withdraw from the beach at Salerno

Attachment (1)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 24
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/3/2015 1:56:20 PM   
scout1

Defensive line has some give .... If only Marshall would have caved and sent more troops to this theatre

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 25
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/3/2015 3:00:07 PM   
bradcue

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

Defensive line established. Herman Goring division lives. It's snowing in Italy so that has slowed the Allies. Unfortunately it also greatly reduces the Luftwaffe's abilities. But considering the end run from Taranto that caught me flatfooted, I think I've managed to salvage the situation and form a good defensive line, pretty much where I would have if I had to withdraw from the beach at Salerno

Why defend the open terrain around Foggia? You need to limit Wehrmacht losses to keep it relevant into 1945. Defending in open terrain allows the Allies to bleed you very easily.

The only thing you are defending right now, really, is Naples.....and Naples is not that important, it's less than 1 VP a turn right now, has no production, and he already has the ports he needs for supplies

IMO, you should fall back to the Cassino line, which can be defended with 12 divisions.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 26
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/3/2015 3:11:53 PM   
marion61

You know that there are several high powered allied divisions just sitting in England, screaming to be used before D-Day? I always move at least the 1st Canadian Army and the 1st Airborne division to the Med. turn 1, along with those assault engineers just sitting around UK Home Forces. Move what you think you need down there, and when it's time to invade France, take them back.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 27
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/3/2015 3:26:42 PM   
scout1

sweet

(in reply to marion61)
Post #: 28
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/3/2015 4:11:28 PM   
ultradave

Point taken from meklore. At least now after salvaging a few divisions from being completely cut off I can fall back in better order.

First time playing Germany (other than the aborted game we started where scott couldn't get his invasions going).

< Message edited by ultradave -- 4/3/2015 5:14:58 PM >

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 29
RE: scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign... - 4/3/2015 4:50:44 PM   
marion61

Would you call that Invadetile Dysfunction?

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> scout1(WA) vs ultradave(G), restart, 43-45 Campaign (Turn 16) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI