Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combining Japanese port units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Combining Japanese port units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combining Japanese port units? - 4/14/2015 9:53:47 PM   
rustysi

Japan gets some Port units as reinforcements (four I think so far). These can combine with on map units to create a Special Base Force. The two components of this unit are assigned to different HQ's. OK, no biggie, just change one and combine. Wrong. One is attached to the Combined Fleet and the other to Southwest Area Fleet, neither of which is restricted. OK, still easy enough... not. I can't convert either to the other as they're not listed in the choose new HQ list. IOW I'd have to pay PP's to convert both to some other HQ and combine. So my question is WAD, or am I missing something?

Edit: For brain to keyboard disconnect.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 4/15/2015 12:00:03 AM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Post #: 1
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/15/2015 7:19:02 AM   
Barb

I think you can assign them to any other command for free - because the "originating" command is not part of the in-game command structure - at least it worked that way for me.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 2
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/15/2015 8:38:11 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

I think you can assign them to any other command for free - because the "originating" command is not part of the in-game command structure - at least it worked that way for me.

Really? I'll have to double check because last I looked one wanted 100+ PP's and the other 200+ to change command. Thanks for the response.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 3
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/16/2015 12:36:39 AM   
Lowpe

Nah, you have to pay for the command changes, at least I always had to.

Worth combing though...

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/16/2015 12:49:38 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Nah, you have to pay for the command changes, at least I always had to.

Worth combing though...

Yeah, I was poking around before and just combined one of them, but instead of the 300+ that it showed it only charged me ~75. I didn't save it so when I go back I'll check the exact numbers and report back.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/16/2015 6:12:27 PM   
linrom

The cost of changing non-restricted unit to other non-restricted is lower, but usually the amount is not shown.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 6
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/20/2015 8:30:39 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: linrom

The cost of changing non-restricted unit to other non-restricted is lower, but usually the amount is not shown.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I have the exact numbers, but not with me right now. I'll post later.

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 7
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/20/2015 8:56:57 PM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: linrom

I don't believe it matters whether you are changing to a restricted to non-restricted, but the cost for changing to another command within the same higher command (ie two corps within the South Pacific HQ, for example) is 1/4 that of changing to another command in a different higher command, but the display still shows the full-price cost. Often, the restricted commands are under a restricted higher HQ, so transferring out to a non-restricted HQ (under a different higher HQ) will be full price.

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 8
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/20/2015 9:04:28 PM   
witpaemail

Little known trick. Change the HQ BEFORE the unit comes on the map. FAR cheaper doing that.

You change the unit that is on the map, then you click the "show oob" or whatever it is, and then change that unit to the same command you just changed the other to (South Army I believe is what I do).

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 9
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/21/2015 4:01:06 AM   
rustysi

quote:

but the cost for changing to another command within the same higher command (ie two corps within the South Pacific HQ, for example) is 1/4 that of changing to another command in a different higher command, but the display still shows the full-price cost.

That is exactly correct, so here's what I had. The 23rd Port Unit (Southwest Area Fleet) called for 102PP's to change command. Changed to Southern Army HQ (higher echelon) for 25PP's. The 23rd Naval Gd Unit (Combined Fleet) called for 209PP's to change command. Same change as above cost 52PP's. I can live with this as I thought I was looking at nearly a months worth of PP's just to combine these units not even knowing if its worth it. Was it worth it? I think so as the units pick up the usual AAA and AS found in most IJ Special Base Forces, with an added bonus of 80 SNLF squad devices. Makes them good little garrisons for four ports.

quote:

Little known trick. Change the HQ BEFORE the unit comes on the map. FAR cheaper doing that.

You change the unit that is on the map, then you click the "show oob" or whatever it is, and then change that unit to the same command you just changed the other to (South Army I believe is what I do).

Not knocking you , but to me this just sounds a bit off. Don't think I'd do that.

(in reply to witpaemail)
Post #: 10
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/21/2015 3:15:07 PM   
witpaemail

Why would it be "off"? The unit is assigned to a HQ days sometimes years before the unit is formed. In a lot of cases before the HQ itself is even formed.

You cant change 1 of the 2 units to match the others HQ, which you question if it works as designed. Yes, that works as designed. Changing the HQ of sub units is ALSO working as designed.

You dont want to do it, thats fine. Dont. No one is forcing you to.

< Message edited by witpaemail -- 4/21/2015 4:15:23 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/21/2015 9:51:35 PM   
rustysi

TBH, I wasn't even aware that you could change the HQ of reinforcement units (yet to arrive). Now that I've looked at it it seems they're cheaper only because they have numerous disabled and/or missing devices in there TOE, so if they were at full strength (no disabled/missing devices) they would cost the same as any full unit. Like buying out a depleted unit after combat. So, no biggie? That is my next question, for which I think I'll open up a new thread.

(in reply to witpaemail)
Post #: 12
RE: Combining Japanese port units? - 4/22/2015 1:27:51 AM   
witpaemail

If Im not mistaken, there is a "repair phase" between the time units enter the map and the end of the turn, so all changing the HQ before they enter does is avoids the very few disrupted parts of the unit that repair on that 1 turn.

The main reason I do it is so I dont forget about the unit later. I have had units enter the game and I didnt notice for game days or even weeks. I dont really look at restricted units too closely. But anything unrestricted, I move right away.

< Message edited by witpaemail -- 4/22/2015 2:28:20 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Combining Japanese port units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI