Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why Command Ops 2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why Command Ops 2? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why Command Ops 2? - 4/19/2015 8:12:41 PM   
Rosseau

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I could use an update.

I have all the CO1 stuff before the company left Matrix. I assume the rationale is you get what I already have for $49.95 and that gets you (a new and improved?) engine and some module support.

However, it also means bugs I may not be experiencing with CO1 and learning a "newer" interface.

Can anyone tell me their logic for going with CO2, or for considering it?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/19/2015 9:49:21 PM   
budd

Here's the link to the official whats's new http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/co2-changes.1010/ don't know if you saw it.

A little backround. I had all the packs except for the the other med pack that was never released here. I've bought HTTR 3 times and the rest twice. I can tell you i did consider not buying and waiting for some new packs and just start CO2 from there. The idea was to support Panther and to be frank the price pushed me over the edge.I like the UI changes and i love the new replay feature, that feature alone is worth it to me.Being able to jump into a replay and play from any point really appeals to me and i hope Panther expands that to being able to play the other side of the replay. Yes there are some bugs currently, the intel bug and the messages not showing on screen for me are the ones that are bugging me the most. The UI is nice and will get better with time. I like having the boxes open i want to have open and putting them where i like them. I imagine if you have 2 screens if would be awesome. the new overlays are nice and i use them frequently.I also really like the new OOB screen[you can select units from the screen] and plan box that shows all your current orders/plans for your units.I probably missed some things. My advice would be get the commanders pack while on sale, i haven't been sorry.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 2
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/19/2015 10:23:02 PM   
Rosseau

Thanks budd. That helps a lot. At least you do get some tangible features to justify the $50 purchase. I did download the new engine a few weeks ago.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 3
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/20/2015 1:08:27 AM   
budd

you got some time, play the freebie's then decide.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 4
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/20/2015 4:37:59 AM   
Rosseau

What convinced me to buy was when I autopatched CO1 tonight and realized they supported the game up until 6/2014. Plus, had four very good CO1 scenarios and Soviet estabs on the LnL website to download. Gotta respect that. I just hope others are willing to buy so they can do more than just survive.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 5
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/20/2015 11:48:19 AM   
budd

it's quite a package for the price. Either the AI is better or i'm out of practice. When you get a chance play Hoffen Ho Down as germans, 4 times i've played, 4 different plans, 4 damn draws.I'd say more but don't want to give any spoilers. It's a small quick scenario I usually play shortly after the tutorial.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 6
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/20/2015 3:21:03 PM   
aaatoysandmore

If I remember correctly the new engine gives you the core game for free and a few scenario's to play with.
I like that they have included an Africa Korp and the prices are reasonable with the free core engine. None of this $80 stuff.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 7
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/20/2015 11:49:59 PM   
Rosseau

Yes, our investment in the entire CO1 package is well over $80 as it is. But I figured with so few games of this type and caliber, one more $50 investment wouldn't kill me!

Oh, and yes I will try that HHD scenario. My last full playthrough was with the original HTTR and I really want to study up a bit this time. Not that it will help me any

< Message edited by rosseau -- 4/21/2015 12:52:32 AM >

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 8
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/21/2015 12:10:22 AM   
Talon_XBMCX

I purchased the CO2 Commanders Pack. didn't have all of the modules so at their normal price it was a wash for me. However, even if I had them I would not have been disappointed with a repurchase. Its just that good ... and getting better.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 9
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/21/2015 12:16:41 AM   
aaatoysandmore

With the core engine being free and 5 extra paks for $49.99 I don't see how yah can go wrong. Course I didn't pay $80 for the originals either. I wait for a chistmas sale just to get Command Ops. Really enjoy the game just wish the graphics could be better with that AI.

(in reply to Talon_XBMCX)
Post #: 10
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/21/2015 1:08:24 PM   
nicwb

It's a great game.

If you're interested, definitely get the Commanders Pack. Four different sets of scenarios.

I think the main reason this particular format of free core engine being chosen is the developers are looking to keep it regularly updated.

Post #: 11
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/22/2015 3:19:53 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Hey, and guys the Pacific War Battle scenarios are being made as we speak. The Command Ops engine and the Pacific....dream come true. Well almost, I still miss a board game conversion of AH's Guadacanal.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 12
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/22/2015 3:35:50 AM   
budd

speaking of CO, the new update is up for download.

Post #: 13
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/22/2015 5:05:47 AM   
aaatoysandmore

yeah it's the 5.0.10 patch, just got it.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 14
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 3:33:49 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Does it address the issue of missing forms when going from 2 monitors to 1. I fired up the game again yesterday but couldnt play because I only have 1 monitor with me at the moment and every form that was on the second monitor when I saved the game can not be called up. Rather frustrating. This is with both a saved game I had been playing and even a new game I tried starting.

EDIT: There is a workaround to this and my issue is to be fixed. It wouldnt be a problem except Im away from home so no dual monitors. I'll say that what I have played of it has been awesome. Such a humbling game. I can usually march right over almost any games AI that I play. With CO, it is a huge feat to win for me. Hopefully my post didnt put anyone off of the game. For the price you get a HUGE amount of product. I can't wait to see what they do for the Pacific. 1st day purchase for me.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 4/23/2015 6:00:19 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

Post #: 15
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 7:07:05 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I could use an update.

I have all the CO1 stuff before the company left Matrix. I assume the rationale is you get what I already have for $49.95 and that gets you (a new and improved?) engine and some module support.

However, it also means bugs I may not be experiencing with CO1 and learning a "newer" interface.

Can anyone tell me their logic for going with CO2, or for considering it?

Thanks

I've got CO1. Great game.

CO2 - based on the descriptions provided at the Lock'n Load forums - doesn't rate new game status. At best it's an update worthy of maybe $14 bucks to get it status.

Add to that the rediculous pricing model that will require one to pay $50 or more to make your "data" (scenario sets) work with major upgrades - which the Dev claims will be 1 to 3 times/year - and if you want to have the latest patch it could cost you up to $150 a year to keep on using that which you've already paid for - or you can - as the dev told me - just not update and well that's just a non-starter.

Great pricing model they've come up with. I'll be watching to see how well it works for 'em.

I've been a Panther customer since the release of their very 1st version of the market garden campaign so many years ago I don't even remember the name.

They've lost me as a customer and if what some are saying on the LnL forums are any indication I'm not alone.

Panther can pack it where the sun don't shine. They aren't getting my money - now or ever - unless their utterly asinine pricing model changes.

< Message edited by Werewolf1326 -- 4/23/2015 8:10:45 PM >

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 16
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 8:45:26 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Patches are free and nowhere have I seen where they are going to charge for them.

Core game plus all the expansions $49.95 much better deal than they ever were here.

So I don't see a problem at all with the pricing plan or the system. Games were $80 here and only $49.95 there. Now do the math but I see a savings of $10 to $30 for games Matrix games charged way higher for each version. Much higher.

New people to the genre will flock to those prices and even if an expansion pak is $50 they are the same thing you paid full retail price for when Panther was over here. You just got the core.exe file in EACH game and the same amount of scenarios for higher prices.

I'll be a faithful customer to both though actually because I know pretty much what a game is worth and I will wait for MY price before I buy anything anyway.

I think giving something free is a great way to start out a new wargaming business. I know I'm glad I found them. Thanks for the link up there too.

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 17
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 9:09:15 PM   
thrudda

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Patches are free and nowhere have I seen where they are going to charge for them.

I wish.

Post #: 18
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 11:34:57 PM   
Arjuna

I am constrained by our termination agreement with Matrix from adequately responding to some of the assertions being made here. There is a lot of misinformation being proffered, like us charging for patches. Before you go and mouth off like an authority I urge anyone with a concern over our pricing policy to actually read it on the LNL\Command Ops 2 forum and if you have any questions raise a thread on the forum. There I can respond without constraint.  

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to thrudda)
Post #: 19
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 11:54:40 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Core game plus all the expansions $49.95 much better deal than they ever were here.

So I don't see a problem at all with the pricing plan or the system. Games were $80 here and only $49.95 there. Now do the math but I see a savings of $10 to $30 for games Matrix games charged way higher for each version. Much higher.

New people to the genre will flock to those prices and even if an expansion pak is $50 they are the same thing you paid full retail price for when Panther was over here. You just got the core.exe file in EACH game and the same amount of scenarios for higher prices.

I'll be a faithful customer to both though actually because I know pretty much what a game is worth and I will wait for MY price before I buy anything anyway.

I think giving something free is a great way to start out a new wargaming business. I know I'm glad I found them. Thanks for the link up there too.

[quote=werewolf1326]and if you want to have the latest patch

Note how patch in my original post is italicized. Sarcasm. Maybe I should have been more clear and stated that what Panther will be moving as upgrades would be a free patch from anyone else. Patches are free but they'll be very minor and for all practical purposes mostly invisible to the user.

It is the upgrades which will cost you. You'll get the core game for free. You'll pay $50 for your 1st data set or $50 to upgrade your CO1 DLC to CO2. Then when another MAJORupgrade is published (once to 3 times a year according to postings by the dev on LnL forum) you'll get the new core game for free but won't be able to run those DLC's you paid $50 to upgrade or bought new until you pay another $50 to have them upgraded.

Clear now! If not goto the LnL forums and read it there as posted on the very long thread that discusses the plan.

Oh - by the way - not being able to tell the difference between sarcasm and not sarcasm is - according to the latest alzheimers research - an early sign of that condition. You may wanna keep track of that.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

Post #: 20
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/23/2015 11:58:37 PM   
Werewolf13

I didn't say you were going to charge for patches, Arjuna. I said MAJOR upgrades. The reference to patches was sarcasm - see my response to aaatoysandmore for more detail.

That said: you can paint it anyway you want but the facts are - as written by you on the LnL forum - that every time you publish a MAJOR upgrade (you get to define what a Major Upgrade is) it'll cost to upgrade playable content to the new upgrade version. Period. You get to pay the cost of a new game everytime y'all Major Upgrade.

< Message edited by Werewolf1326 -- 4/24/2015 1:00:01 AM >

Michael Andress

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 21
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/24/2015 12:01:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Per Arjuna's request, it's probably best if further discussion moves over to their forum.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 22
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/24/2015 12:02:02 AM   
aaatoysandmore

deleted per Erik's request.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 4/24/2015 1:03:23 AM >

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 23
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/24/2015 5:13:34 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326
Oh - by the way - not being able to tell the difference between sarcasm and not sarcasm is - according to the latest alzheimers research - an early sign of that condition. You may wanna keep track of that.

That is a form of abuse Werewolf1326. It was uncalled for. I would normally say that you should be ashamed of yourself but then bullies rarely are.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 24
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/24/2015 7:03:37 AM   
aaatoysandmore

As good as command ops is though it's worth the price for the added content. Can't wait for the Pacific stuff.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 25
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/25/2015 8:04:33 AM   
fodder

bump

Post #: 26
RE: Why Command Ops 2? - 4/27/2015 11:00:29 AM   
IainMcNeil

As Arjuna & Erik have requested lets move all discussion to the new forum and I'm closing this because of the tone of some of the posts before it turns really nasty.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why Command Ops 2? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread