Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fatal Victories!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Fatal Victories!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fatal Victories!! - 4/8/2001 8:27:00 PM   
Figmo

We all know about some of the "Fatal Victories" such as "Pearl Harbor" were the Victory ended up costing more in the end. I'm looking for ideas for scenarios of land victories that ended up not really being victories - like maybe operation "Market/Garden" the Arnhem battle that was considered 90% successful but ended up costing the Allies because it stretched them out and gave the Germans the opportunity for operation "Watch On the Rhine". Any ideas?? Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Post #: 1
- 4/8/2001 9:47:00 PM   
jjc424

Crete would be a good one. It was a pyric victory. jjc

Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 2
- 4/8/2001 9:53:00 PM   
McGib

Dieppe comes to mind. Without it Operation Overlord would have failed

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 3
- 4/9/2001 9:29:00 AM   
Figmo

Thanks Guys - great ideas. Would Rommel's capture of Tobruk fit in this category? Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 4
- 4/9/2001 8:23:00 PM   
Alexandra

quote:

Originally posted by Figmo: Thanks Guys - great ideas. Would Rommel's capture of Tobruk fit in this category? Figmo
I'd argue that the commitment of Panzer Armee Afrika in the first place would fit here. After all, without control of both Crete and Malta, and arguably the Suez and Gibraltar, it was never a viable army, logisitically speaking. No matter what Rommel did, tactically, logistically and strategically his position was always iffy, compunded by Rommel's own failure to understand the importance of his logiistical lifeline. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Fatal Victories!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI