Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Order of Battle : World War II >> First Impressions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions - 4/30/2015 11:31:17 AM   
VegasOZ

Looks GOOD...
Plays GOOD...
Price is GOOD...

YUP... All is GOOD...

Very entertaining, GREAT JOB by the Devs...

Highly recommended.
Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 11:42:45 AM   
IainMcNeil

I agree - the Artistocrats have really put themselves on the map with Order of Battle and we hope for much more to come from them! :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 1:26:47 PM   
kirk23

I have watched this project over the last year, and I must say this game looks superb, I have just purchased a copy, it is downloading as I write this, I'm sure I'm going to love playing this game, many thanks to everyone involved for creating this.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 4/30/2015 2:27:28 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 1:35:59 PM   
fsp1978

I have just fiddled with the first US campaign scenario without playing boot camp and have to say I am impressed. It seems all well thought out, well polished and a very, very good game.

I am sure some bugs and minor quirks will be found, but I can already now say that I am looking forward to further entries into this series and am going to have a blast with this one.

I also appreciate that they chose a PTO game (first?), even though I am European and hope for a ETO game later.

Great work!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 2:28:25 PM   
giffin

Bought it on Matrix and played a few turns of the tutorial before I head to work. Love the ease of play and all the you need to play is on your screen. Cant wait to dig into this title! Really Excellent work Artistocrats!!

(in reply to fsp1978)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 3:54:09 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

Did the tutorial. Very nice work overall; much more involved than vanilla Panzer Corps and there is lots of "chrome" to spice things up. Technically, I've had a couple of generic appcrash CTDs, at the end of scenarios/missions; autosave meant I didn't lose anything but it was a bit annoying. Other than that, it's a very cool game so far.

(in reply to giffin)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 4:22:28 PM   
Lukas

quote:

I've had a couple of generic appcrash CTDs, at the end of scenarios/missions

Can you post your system specs on the Tech Support subforum? Ideally the DxDiag information. We're looking into various performance improvements for upcoming updates so hopefully those will address any issues you are having.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 4:38:05 PM   
vonRocko

Congratulations on the release! A game like this was sorely needed.

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 7:35:00 PM   
Texican

Except for a very fixable glitch I describe in another thread (B26's cost 0 in the purchase table), this is a pretty good game. Hope to have months or years of enjoyment.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 8:11:45 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

Is there a way to display labels on the map? Sometimes the instructions in a battle tell you to hold certain places, by name, but there are no names on the map that I can tell?

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 8:30:40 PM   
Myrddraal

In the turn report (which you can also access by clicking the turn counter) you can click on the ? next to any objective and the location of the objective will be displayed on the map.

Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 8:32:40 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

In the turn report (which you can also access by clicking the turn counter) you can click on the ? next to any objective and the location of the objective will be displayed on the map.

Cool, thanks. Sort of clunky, but it'll work I suppose! I would love to have the option of displaying labels like you can with the HPS/JT games, but then, um, someone would have to label a bunch of stuff I guess.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 8:49:01 PM   
Lukas

Hex names has been requested in the beta and we do plan on implementing it eventually, but we want it done in a clean way so things don't end up looking like a mess. There's only so much text and icons you can fit on a screen :)

Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 9:15:49 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

Hex names has been requested in the beta and we do plan on implementing it eventually, but we want it done in a clean way so things don't end up looking like a mess. There's only so much text and icons you can fit on a screen :)

Indeed. As always, it's a delicate dance.

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 9:30:52 PM   
VegasOZ

quote:

I am not in favor of obstructive hex labeling and annoying popup boxes that obscure the view of the battlefield and units to any great extent. If necessary the hex info should be displayed off the map in an info box, like it is in most JT games.
Thanks.

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 15
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2015 10:15:00 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

quote:

I am not in favor of obstructive hex labeling and annoying popup boxes that obscure the view of the battlefield and units to any great extent. If necessary the hex info should be displayed off the map in an info box, like it is in most JT games.
Thanks.

I can see that, but I like the JT system of hitting ALT and having the labels on the map by locations, and when you let ALT go, the labels go away (you can hit shift+ALT to keep them sticky). I like my wargame maps to look like, well, maps, which have labels. Others, naturally, may prefer a different look, hence, I advocate a toggle.

At the very least, a button to toggle more visible indicators of objectives would be nice. Yes, the colored flag poles do the job, but they're not very distinctive to my old eyes!

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 16
RE: First Impressions - 5/1/2015 3:25:46 AM   
FroBodine

I agree with the Tiller system of holding the ALT key to show labels, then let go of ALT and they disappear. No clutter unless you want it, and it's only for viewing in between the action.

Simple and elegant.

Post #: 17
RE: First Impressions - 5/1/2015 3:36:14 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I agree with the Tiller system of holding the ALT key to show labels, then let go of ALT and they disappear. No clutter unless you want it, and it's only for viewing in between the action.

Simple and elegant.

Agreed!

For names and location the ALT key is best.

For hex geographical and cover and so forth information I prefer the off map (side of the screen) "info box" ala JT games.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 18
RE: First Impressions - 5/1/2015 5:23:12 AM   
Ranger33

After playing through the tutorial campaign I think this is a winner! The supply system especially works great, feels like a lovely blend of Panzer Corps and Unity of Command. I also like how the special abilities of units add some spice to things while staying well within the bounds of reality. Now to decide which campaign to play first.

I would love to see this turn into a series covering other theaters.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 19
RE: First Impressions - 5/1/2015 6:31:04 AM   
VegasOZ

Playing the Fleet tutorial mission is a BLAST.

The Naval Warfare with aircraft is really, really well done and a ton of fun to play.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 20
RE: First Impressions - 5/1/2015 6:20:36 PM   
RussW

Great title and I'm sure it will get better with age...Thanks to the dev's

Semper Fi

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 21
RE: First Impressions - 5/1/2015 10:44:31 PM   
jack54

quote:

Playing the Fleet tutorial mission is a BLAST.

The Naval Warfare with aircraft is really, really well done and a ton of fun to play.

+1 now that was fun!

Congratulations on the launch! enjoying every minute so far....thank you!

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 22
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 7:33:38 AM   
VegasOZ

Playing with the full 3D graphic setting I am noticing a little grind and faltering when Aircraft units are involved with the action. Not major, but I thought I'd pass it on. Just some stuttering with the AI execution is what I'm seeing.

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 23
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 8:43:12 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

Playing with the full 3D graphic setting I am noticing a little grind and faltering when Aircraft units are involved with the action. Not major, but I thought I'd pass it on. Just some stuttering with the AI execution is what I'm seeing.

Same experience here, including naval units. Seems to occur at the beginning of the turn.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 24
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 8:52:10 AM   
Frido1207

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

quote:

Same experience here, including naval units. Seems to occur at the beginning of the turn.

I´m having the same problem. Heavy stuttering, while the AI executes its move. The flags stop spinning for a while and it is hard to follow the action then. Tried different performance settings, but got no satisfying results.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 25
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 12:36:51 PM   
GI_Tom

Can anyone expand a little more on the differences from PG/PC? More specifically, how much deeper gameplay? I like PG/PC and will sometimes revisit PC, but want just a little more from it as far as depth. I play WiTE and WiW so I come up for air with PC every so often, but I don't want to go all the way to the surface if that makes sense.

Everything from screenshots to AAR's look very nice visually, just can't seem to pull the trigger on this title yet thinking about the above. Someone sell me!

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 26
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 12:41:52 PM   
Lukas

It might be best to watch some of the gameplay video's out there. This one for example makes comparisons with PzC regularly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjxekCXG0A

Since the question comes up regularly, I'll quote our interview on The Wargamer:

quote:

Aside from the graphics the most obvious difference must be the addition of a supply system. This means positioning of units and keeping a solid front-line is very important. With supply sources capable of maintaining only limited amounts of units, digging a whole army in around a single victory point is a recipe for defeat. This seemingly simple feature has a profound impact of how the game is played.

OoB also has more detailed combat mechanics, with more different combat statistics and special rules for air and naval combat. This, combined with a large range of special abilities – such as mine-laying, sonar sweeps, bridge building, etc – make for a slightly more complex gameplay. The difficult terrain of most of the Pacific theater scenarios also lead to a generally slower paced game.

(in reply to GI_Tom)
Post #: 27
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 6:35:44 PM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: GI_Tom

Can anyone expand a little more on the differences from PG/PC? More specifically, how much deeper gameplay? I like PG/PC and will sometimes revisit PC, but want just a little more from it as far as depth. I play WiTE and WiW so I come up for air with PC every so often, but I don't want to go all the way to the surface if that makes sense.

Everything from screenshots to AAR's look very nice visually, just can't seem to pull the trigger on this title yet thinking about the above. Someone sell me!

Order of Battle: Pacific has a certain "grit" and "suspense" to it that I do not see in Panzer Korps. I dearly love my Panzer Korps (own ALL DLC campaigns). This game is very similar but more gritty.

However, I would warn you about one thing about Order of Battle: Pacific. It is going to be an EXPENSIVE game to own. It is what I have always known as a "beer and pretzels" game. It is FUN to play, pretty fast paced and the missions have some tension to them. BUT, you are going to have a DRAMATIC INCREASE in your Beer and Pretzels expenses because Order of Battle: Pacific is a "one more turn, just one more turn" addicting game... LOL

On the other hand, you can always invest in Beer and Pretzel company Stocks and make another type of killing.

(in reply to GI_Tom)
Post #: 28
RE: First Impressions - 5/2/2015 9:19:35 PM   
Chris Hampton

I've been having a blast just playing the tutorials. There's a lot of familiar Panzer Corps feel but a lot of new features, especially the addition of fleet battles. Hopefully there'll be a grand campaign DLC a'la PanzerCorps

People who turn their swords into plowshares generally end up plowing for the people who kept their swords...

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 29
RE: First Impressions - 5/4/2015 5:31:03 PM   
wgfred

Game is terrific fun and agree with all positive comments. Certainly is a 'one more turn' kind of game!

I've played up through Java campaign as Rising Sun and it can be challenging.
The upcoming patch should do wonders for the Java scenario.

(in reply to Chris Hampton)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Order of Battle : World War II >> First Impressions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI