Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Focus Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/27/2015 2:41:28 PM   
paradigmblue

I wasn't happy with a lot of little supply issues, so I made some changes so that some Allied bases aren't in the yellow for supply on the second turn. New SCEN files are available on Dropbox.

Overall, I'm a lot more happy with the allied air OOB now. While Japan still has a significant advantage, they must proceed more deliberately and work to establish air superiority before moving in. The 9 allied Skyrocket squadrons will have a lasting impact on the air game, and be an important tool for the allies up until the Thunderbolt enters service.

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 151
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/27/2015 3:04:30 PM   
paradigmblue

General Patton caught some issues for me to clean up, new SCEN files with those changes on dropbox.

Post #: 152
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/27/2015 5:41:59 PM   
Lowpe

Commander Cody and I are moving along...we haven't upgraded yet to the new files, in truth a little worried it might kill the game.

The improvements look good!

No problems with Japan being a steam roller. Sumatra falling, Luzon collapsing in on Clark, Baker Island just fell, Wake holding out, Port Moresby looks at risk, the Aluetians are falling. A huge IJA force seems to be building at Johore, and Pegu is threatened. In China, Sian seems at risk...

There are other moves going on but I don't think CC has cottoned on to them yet...so mom is the word.

Had some very nice small cl/destroyer sized battles recently...very fun. Also, it is so much fun trashing the French AF in China! A hoot!

Post #: 153
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/28/2015 1:10:00 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Lowpe: I fired up the new scenario under a brand new WITP-AE install. I'll try to import a save of our game to that as an experiment and see if it works. If it does seem to work, we should then follow this process:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2233574

Paradigmblue: One thing I noticed, which the esteemed General Patton probably discovered, was that the 55,000 ton ARDs are doubled (there are two arriving at the same time and place under different names when it should be one). Also, the 55,000 ton ARD that arrives in Portland can't move from there as the Columbia River isn't wide enough, so you might change it to arrive in Seattle. That is, unless the map has been changed to allow big ship access to Portland.

One more suggestion: Since you have created a unique pwhex file, one that has stacking limits would have to be created especially for this scenario. I don't have any idea how much trouble that would be, but might be something to think about in the future as an option to players (i.e. offer a limits or a non-limits choice).

I like those Skyrockets and the performance boost to some of the French airframes. That should help the balance a fair amount.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 154
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/28/2015 12:30:23 PM   
Lowpe

I have never had a problem upgrading to the latest beta release using that protocol.

Thanks CC.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 155
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/28/2015 1:47:22 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Lowpe: I fired up the new scenario under a brand new WITP-AE install. I'll try to import a save of our game to that as an experiment and see if it works. If it does seem to work, we should then follow this process:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2233574

Paradigmblue: One thing I noticed, which the esteemed General Patton probably discovered, was that the 55,000 ton ARDs are doubled (there are two arriving at the same time and place under different names when it should be one). Also, the 55,000 ton ARD that arrives in Portland can't move from there as the Columbia River isn't wide enough, so you might change it to arrive in Seattle. That is, unless the map has been changed to allow big ship access to Portland.

One more suggestion: Since you have created a unique pwhex file, one that has stacking limits would have to be created especially for this scenario. I don't have any idea how much trouble that would be, but might be something to think about in the future as an option to players (i.e. offer a limits or a non-limits choice).

I like those Skyrockets and the performance boost to some of the French airframes. That should help the balance a fair amount.

Cheers,
CC

Thanks CC. I did notice the 2 ARD's. but not the river being wide enough. If I remember correctly from a scenario 1 game I played 2 to 3 hundred years ago, the USN gets a few ARD's in mid to late 43, I think, at Seattle. SO, Para, Maybe have them appear at Seattle....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 156
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/28/2015 1:51:46 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

the esteemed General Patton
Cheers,
CC

Hey, did you guys see the new book about me. "Killing General Patton". Not sure I like the title, but my wife is buying it for me on fathers day....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 157
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/28/2015 5:08:43 PM   
Lowpe

We are going to upgrade to the latest scenario files this weekend...any tips.

I got this from C-C: Also, I tested a save from this (not the end turn save) and found out it works, but the game is stuck with the original map and reinforcement units. If we update as described in the forum, would the new reinforcement units and map details show up, or are we stuck? I have to admit I'm not very knowledgeable on that aspect of this game.

C-C & I are celebrating Christmas in our sample game...so I gave him a present, a surprise CV raid! So far this mod is immensely entertaining for Japan...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 158
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/29/2015 2:43:49 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

We are going to upgrade to the latest scenario files this weekend...any tips.

I got this from C-C: Also, I tested a save from this (not the end turn save) and found out it works, but the game is stuck with the original map and reinforcement units. If we update as described in the forum, would the new reinforcement units and map details show up, or are we stuck? I have to admit I'm not very knowledgeable on that aspect of this game.

Unfortunately, I believe ship reinforcements and map changes can't be made once the game has been started. However, the additional allied air frames will be present. So while Cody won't get the new P-50 squadrons, he will get production of the P-50 that he can then upgrade some squadrons to. He'll also get access to the new Br700, which is an absolute beast of a plane, and the Morane MS450.

I'm actually toning down the early-war P-50s a little bit - while I want them to be strong, they are outright overpowered for 1941. I've toned down their speed and added an intermediary version between the P-50 and P-65 that upgrades in early 42, pushing the P-65 back to October of 42. Without this change the allies would have a 414mph fighter in early 42, which I think we can agree is a bit too much.

Don't worry AFBs, the P-50 is still the best plane in the allied arsenal in the early game by a wide margin.

I also toned down the experience of the pilots in Hawaii and the West Coast to more reasonable levels.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 159
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/29/2015 4:58:33 AM   
CaptBeefheart

We will know this weekend once we do an update whether those P-50s or other new airframes show up. They didn't when I ported the save file to a new Focus Pacific install.

I'm not sure it's realistic, as that area would have been ice-bound for much or all of the year, but I do like the Prudhoe Bay idea. That brings the Aleutians much more into play.

Cheers,
CC

Post #: 160
RE: Focus Pacific - 4/30/2015 5:28:57 PM   
Lowpe

Okay, little nervous here we are starting a full upgrade.

Step 1 copy the entire game file and save to a different location so the game won't be lost.

After that I am going to reinstall everything and see what happens.

Commander Cody has been plagued with synch bug all game, mainly because he is using a different official patch than me (his is the 24th of Dec, mine the 25th), so I will send him the 25th patch. Hopefully that will go a long way into eliminating the synch bug.

We also had pwhex problem we just played thru, perhaps this upgrade will fix that.

Post #: 161
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/2/2015 1:38:19 AM   
Lowpe

I upgraded, and in the database screen the goofy P50 is there (actually it is pretty cool), but I will have to wait to hear from C-C whether he gets them or not.

So is the souped up French twin engine fighter.

The Azuma still has her advanced radars...was that supposed to change? Does that mean I screwed something up in my upgrade?

A quiet day in the war, very few issues ordered, in case the upgrade doesn't work.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 162
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/2/2015 1:58:27 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

I upgraded, and in the database screen the goofy P50 is there (actually it is pretty cool), but I will have to wait to hear from C-C whether he gets them or not.

So is the souped up French twin engine fighter.

The Azuma still has her advanced radars...was that supposed to change? Does that mean I screwed something up in my upgrade?

A quiet day in the war, very few issues ordered, in case the upgrade doesn't work.

Hi Lowpe -

Unfortunately, the Azuma is stuck as it is. While it's fixed in the mod, in your game, even though it spawned as the upgraded version, the scenario upgrade doesn't make retroactive changes - if it's already in your game, the save file will take precedence over the scenario.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 163
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/2/2015 2:24:53 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue
Unfortunately, the Azuma is stuck as it is. While it's fixed in the mod, in your game, even though it spawned as the upgraded version, the scenario upgrade doesn't make retroactive changes - if it's already in your game, the save file will take precedence over the scenario.

That is okay! I have so many ships I can put her into the rear area for a while and let her sailors enjoy some R&R. If I was gamey I would put her with one of the KBs. I found another CA with the 44 or 45 upgrades too, but I didn't write her down, but I will post her with the next turn.

We are right after Christmas, Baker and Canton have fallen, the Line Islands look vulnerable. Adak and Unmak in the Aluetians are Japanese, Moulmein is Japanese, Java was just bombarded by Battleships, Manila will fall shortly, Clark AF will take a while, and troops are massing at Johore.

Palembang is Japanese, but it will take five years plus to rebuild the oil. Wow! Good thing I don't need it. On the other hand Miri is hardly damaged....I have never seen that, usually Miri is trashed. The base SW of Tarakan fell, and Davao has been invaded.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/2/2015 3:25:59 AM >

Post #: 164
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/2/2015 10:09:01 PM   
paradigmblue

I just found a serious error in the mod - for some reason the Vindictive class CAVs don't have the option to convert to CVLs after their 2/42 upgrade (which is when the option should come available, but not clickable until 4/42).

I can't figure out what is going on here - the bind class for the conversion looks right to me. If anyone has an idea of what is going on here, please let me know.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 165
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/3/2015 5:50:49 AM   
paradigmblue

I think I fixed the error - all Vindictive and Melbourne class CAV and CLV Flight Deck Cruisers now show their conversion to CVLs, and can be correctly converted to their respective CVLs at that time.

Post #: 166
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/3/2015 10:07:46 AM   
btd64

The above conversions do appear to work after running a test. Didn't take it to the conversion date, but the upgrade path seems good. Great job Para.....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 167
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/3/2015 1:03:14 PM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

I think I fixed the error - all Vindictive and Melbourne class CAV and CLV Flight Deck Cruisers now show their conversion to CVLs, and can be correctly converted to their respective CVLs at that time.

OK, I just did an update doing the procedure as outlined and did get the new airplanes. Unfortunately, it looks like their production start dates are 00/00. Also, the Vindictive class seem to be stuck at their original capacity.

Cheers,
CC

Attachment (1)

Post #: 168
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/3/2015 3:35:24 PM   
Lowpe

Does that mean production starts in the year 2000 or 1900? I am okay with the former!

Post #: 169
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/3/2015 4:12:21 PM   
paradigmblue

Yikes, the start dates are correct when I create a new game, not sure why yours aren't working.

There is a fix I can do for the Vindictives for your game - I'll see if I can make a custom mod file so that you can upgrade those Vindictives even though they're already in the game. The save file takes precedence over the mod file when it comes to conversions, but I should be able to make a version of the mod that has the Vindictive class do a straight upgrade to the larger capacity carriers instead.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 5/3/2015 5:14:35 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 170
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/3/2015 11:14:19 PM   
CaptBeefheart

Just to confirm, I am building those 00/00 airplanes above as of Dec 27.

Cheers,
CC

Post #: 171
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/4/2015 12:52:48 PM   
btd64

quote:

Yikes, the start dates are correct when I create a new game, not sure why yours aren't working.

There is a fix I can do for the Vindictives for your game - I'll see if I can make a custom mod file so that you can upgrade those Vindictives even though they're already in the game. The save file takes precedence over the mod file when it comes to conversions, but I should be able to make a version of the mod that has the Vindictive class do a straight upgrade to the larger capacity carriers instead.

Could be a save vs. conversion thing....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 172
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/4/2015 1:01:29 PM   
Lowpe

In the larger scheme of things I am not sure it really matters too much. Big pools, but C-C will hold off using the planes until they normally should activate which is ok by me.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 173
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/6/2015 1:32:52 AM   
paradigmblue

I just updated the Scen files -

I did significant 1st turn testing with the new Skyrocket Squadrons, and found that they made 1st turn CAP at Manilla and Pearl so strong that the impact of the December 7th KB strike was much smaller than in stock. While I'm an AFB, the December 7th strike is an important part of the game, and that strike needs to cause damage to the allied player.

The Skyrocket squadrons now arrive on the December 8th, allowing the KB to inflict some damage.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 174
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/6/2015 1:47:41 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

The Skyrocket squadrons now arrive on the December 8th, allowing the KB to inflict some damage.

Where do they start at?

If they are that strong, it may make a Pearl strategy impossible for Japan, and if they show up at Pearl make for a very difficult follow up strikes.

It may force Japan to give up on the Pearl strikes all together and focus on the PI and DEI.

Post #: 175
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/6/2015 2:16:57 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

quote:

Where do they start at?

If they are that strong, it may make a Pearl strategy impossible for Japan, and if they show up at Pearl make for a very difficult follow up strikes.

It may force Japan to give up on the Pearl strikes all together and focus on the PI and DEI.

They start at Manilla and Pearl. Follow up Pearl strikes can be done, but need Zero sweeps to clear the way. They're not overwhelmingly strong, but when you have every fighter at Pearl on CAP 100% on December 7th, it's a tough time for the KB strike.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 176
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/6/2015 5:54:42 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Maybe there should be an HR limiting P-50s to 40% training on Dec 7 and let the JFB do a significant airfield strike if he wants? That way at least the JFB has a shot at them and they don't arrive intact on Dec 8.

Cheers,
CC

Post #: 177
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/6/2015 6:15:34 AM   
paradigmblue

I actually have the squadrons come into play 50% damaged now.

Post #: 178
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/6/2015 5:37:21 PM   
Lowpe

More advanced ship models for Japan:

BB Kurama Nagato class
CL Minami Oyoda class
CA Iwate Mogami class
CA Yakumo Mogami class

I don't think there is anything you can do about the Oyoda class...

But you can move back the Nagato and Mogamis's to an earlier model.

Post #: 179
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/11/2015 2:18:08 PM   
CaptBeefheart

RAAF 23 Squadron has a cap of 72 aircraft (discovered in a computer vs. computer game).

Cheers,
CC

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI