Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unleashed Extended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Unleashed Extended Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/4/2015 3:00:32 PM   
mordachai

FYI - to use the IMG - and embed the image - placing it on photobucket is perfect - just only surround the link with IMG and end it with /IMG (inside of braces). No need for the URL= stuff.

As to the fuel shortage issue... my most recent two games have a severe shortage. If I look at the galaxy as a whole, or my empire, then there is plenty of actual Hydrogen. But my fleets are all starving. If I look at the individual mining bases, they seem to be chugging away... but are somewhat full of crap gasses (Helium and Casalon). I crash-researched a bunch of storage upgrades - figuring that would relieve some of the pressure on the cargo space... but no luck. Most of my fleets remain starved for fuel.

I don't know if I just got bad "rolls" the last couple of games or what? I double-checked that the mining rates - the research & components are the same as in vanilla. They are. So rate-of-mining-fuel is same as in un-modded games. Yet... fuel never seems to be available to my ships (I'm playing the Teekan this time, and their economy is off the freakin' rails - 13million in the bank, rolling about 130K / whatever units it measures "cash-flow" in). Money is no object... but fuel... and the price of fuel is only .8 / unit - so the game seems to consider that overall, there isn't a high demand for it (not enough to raise its price). And the overall amounts & unsatisfied - well, there's a ton of it out there availalble, and not that much "unsatisfied".

So... I don't get it. Why - in my mod (lol) - is Hydrogen such a problem? Since I combined others mods to get this one... I wasn't in the decision loop as to many of the changes - and maybe there were some changes that have broken or massively hindered the economics of DW:U that I hadn't noticed before (I've had several games where fuel wasn't a big deal - tight at times, but overall no problem).

I can think of a couple possibilities:
* It is NOT due to freighters (this current game I upped the start size to 250, and noted happily that freighters were immediately being built).
* (also, I can see plenty of independent freighters hanging out not moving cargo about... so freighter capacity isn't the issue)
* Something about having engines which use a lot of gas early is the problem? (I doubt this, as the shortages seem too widespread and severe to just be that)
* Something is borked in beta 12 that is interacting with this mod to produce this situation? (but if so, what?!)
* Random bad luck: the Hydrogen planets are just low-output ones in my last couple of games? (I'd have to double check whether this is true or not)

It is hard to diagnose without tools to look at "where is my Hydrogen at?" "How much is available?" "Graph of Hydrogen production (vs. other games at similar stage)?"...

If anyone knows of ways to peer under the hood to get this sort of info, I'd love to hear it (or better: how to sleuth out the fundamental issue: why gas shortage)..

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 31
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/4/2015 4:16:55 PM   
OJsDad

I haven't gotten to using hydrogen yet.  What I did to relieve the Calson shortage was to use the expansion planner to find planets with good Calson reserves and send my construction ships to build gas mines.  As these got built, my shortage issues disappeared.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 32
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/4/2015 4:47:13 PM   
OJsDad

I was just looking a the template designs for small space ports.  I compared XHuman from your mod to the vanilla Human.  One thing that stood out is that there are not cargo units.  Yet, when I looked at one of my small space ports in the game, there are products in the cargo section.  Not sure what modules are storing these.  Not sure if the lack of cargo modules is causing an issue or not.

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 33
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/4/2015 10:21:33 PM   
mordachai

I inherited that aspect of spaceport designs from ... one of the previous mods. Maybe from AI Extended? At any rate - I found a thread discussing that they're not necessary for spaceports - that they "share" their cargo capacity with their world, which effectively infinite (though pirates do need at least 1, which is then infinite in actual capacity). So... shouldn't matter at all.

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 34
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/4/2015 11:17:28 PM   
Retreat1970

Correct. Spaceports do not need cargo bays.

I'm playing UEII. Mid game as Atuuk (of course). Money is just outrageous. I have 16 colonies, tax 30% on homeworld (rest 0), and I'm still pulling in 500k/yr. While I have 100+ ship fleets, the AI rarely goes above 20. Been fun though.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 35
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/5/2015 12:15:52 AM   
mordachai

lol - yeah, I may have over-boosted the economy :}

For some races, it's "just right", for others (mercantile / racial bonuses like the Teekan), it's freakin' nuts.

I am working on III - where I've raised the purchase prices of wonders by 10x+, which I think will make them less silly, more of a... wonder.

But the rest of the economy - I'll probably need to nerf it a bit, see how that goes. Teekan, e.g., should make more ... but 500k cashflow is a bit extreme ;)

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 36
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/5/2015 3:26:03 PM   
OJsDad

NM I found it in the Energy tech tree

What is the tech needed to unlock carriers.  I'm probably just blind, but I don't see it.

Thanks

< Message edited by OJsDad -- 5/5/2015 4:34:36 PM >

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 37
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/5/2015 4:11:28 PM   
mordachai

It's the 4th construction tech, I believe. Both supply ships and carriers are unlocked with ~700/750 build capacity (I don't recall which I chose). You still need a hangar bay technology, and depending on your techs, the automated ship designer may or may not manage to design a valid carrier when you unlock it (usually it does - moving it to needing at least 700 capacity was why I moved it - so that the resulting initial carrier would actually be designed in accordance with the template for it, and end up with a valid / good carrier design).

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 38
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/9/2015 3:02:07 AM   
OJsDad

quote:

ORIGINAL: mordachai

Ah, yes, I see what you're saying now. :)

The initial size limit of 200 means that the basic freighters won't build. So you need to research that first construction tech asap! I normally play with pre-warp start - and even then this has never hampered me. My early builds fall within the stores I begin any game with at my HW, and by the time it matters, I've researched the first size jump to 500.

Keep me posted as you play. My most recent two games saw the AIs kicking my butt :( So they certainly didn't seem set-back by that limitation. But... I could redesign the small freighter to fit within the 200 limit, or I could try pushing it back up to 250. That just invites the auotomater to create idiot destroyers, light cruisers, etc., again, so I'd prefer to avoid it if I can.

FYI - I'm play-testing with 250 starting size. Seems the automation can handle designing the freighters at that size, and so-far looks like it doesn't try to make light cruisers or above, so good balance.

I had to adjust my starting ship construction size to 260. The AI was designing ships at 252.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 39
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/10/2015 2:01:26 PM   
Euler

Mordachai, I like the main mods you combined (Haree, Icemania, and Osito) but is it possible to get them without the economy acceleration? I like the other changes you made to UEII, so would like to play this mod without the faster economies if possible. Thanks for doing this!

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 40
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/10/2015 11:45:59 PM   
mordachai

Euler - UEI doesn't have the econ acceleration. I don't recall every change, but mostly it was minor things between the two, plus the econ change.

You can if it is within your toolbox - compare the two and un-adjust the governments (that's what causes the econ accel - primarily - lesser degree the reduced upkeep for facilities & wonders - but that's far less significant).

I'll update for UEIII one of these days - and scale back the government adjustment.

Oh, the other thing you can do is to choose to play a warrior race - none of the econ loving ones... or intentionally choose a war based government (dictator / military junta /etc.).

(in reply to Euler)
Post #: 41
RE: Unleashed Extended I & II - 5/12/2015 8:15:54 AM   
Shuul

Hey, thank you for the mod!
But I updated my game to latest beta patch to start new campaing, and game crashed. Is it incompatible?

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 42
RE: Unleashed Extended I & II - 5/12/2015 3:18:47 PM   
mordachai

I'm also running latest patch - this is for DW:U. It won't work with Shadows or the other versions out there.
What sort of crash?

One thing I find helps me is to set my theme to the default - then restart DW:U, then set the theme to what I really wanted (say UEII), then let it load, then restart DW:U again. Now it's definitely loaded with the correct theme, and no other theme has been loaded for the current session, and I can confidently start a new campaign.

Let me know if this helps you.

(in reply to Shuul)
Post #: 43
RE: Unleashed Extended I & II - 5/22/2015 2:16:46 PM   
fruitgnome

Is this mod nearly 100% working? Im very interesting in the extended techtree. The other mods I already use. THX

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 44
RE: Unleashed Extended I & II - 5/22/2015 6:23:15 PM   
mordachai

This mod is "abandoned in working condition" as my old boss was fond of saying.

I will likely make another version one o' these days - but for now, you have a choice of either I or II - both work. II has more money available, and other tweaks (see the change log). I has less money - more like vanilla - and a few less changes. Or you can always mod either mod to be more to your liking (very easy to do).

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 45
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/22/2015 8:33:23 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Hmmm, been enjoying icemania's extended ai mod so will give this a whirl cause moar dakka is always bestus dakka.

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 46
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/24/2015 6:51:39 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Ok played out a quick map using the UE II version and like it so far except for one thing. I played hiigaran and the ai would not use any weapons but basic rails even with torpedoes researched almost to the end and enough support tech to allow them to be mounted and used.

Tried beams and missile and still no go. Once I started on rails the ai started adding them. Is this due to hiigaran not being included in icemania's ai mod redo?

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 47
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/24/2015 9:35:23 AM   
Bingeling

It is because the Hiigaran designs only use rail guns. You can look at them in the designTemplates folder of the mod.

Did the AI research that other stuff? It it did, it is poor mod setup. If not, it is you fighting the AI designer.

I was puzzled there seemed to be very little difference in firepower from frigate to destroyer to cruiser in those designs.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 48
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/26/2015 5:52:55 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I see. Downloaded the mod pdf and am starting to dig through the folders so I'll figure out the finer points of the games innards and can 'fix' these things to my liking.

Was simply wondering as on the standalone ai mod if I set the ai research/design policy to say torps the ai would use them on auto refits as soon as they were better than the basic racial weapons and enough support tech was researched to mount and power them.

I also do my own research queue as the ai doesn't seem very good in its choices or at least good enough to support my preferred playstyle of fast glass cannon ships in early game.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 49
RE: Unleashed Extended - 5/26/2015 4:04:08 PM   
mordachai

I think I included info in the change.txt file in the mod - that shows what ship designs each race is configured for.

You can of course manually design your ships & set your own research. I usually handle research but let the automation handle ship design (until it goes off rails).

...but that only makes sense if I'm researching what the automation is expecting - which I do - I pick my race based on what ship types - what weapons systems - I want to play with.

But if you're okay with manually designing everything - you can choose any race and research what you want and design ships that use your tech. :)

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 50
RE: Unleashed Extended - 6/3/2015 7:57:21 PM   
Radishgast

Just wanted to pop in and show my support. I've been enjoying your collection of mods immensely in my latest game. Thanks for taking the time on this! <3

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 51
RE: Unleashed Extended - 6/3/2015 8:29:13 PM   
mordachai

Awesome! :D

Always nice to get positive feedback about anything I do!

I've been into a mod I've made for Sword of the Stars (prime) of late, but I'll get back to improving this one when that interest wanes, I'm sure.

(in reply to Radishgast)
Post #: 52
RE: Unleashed Extended - 7/1/2015 2:34:00 PM   
joshbm

Same comment as Radishgast, this mod is great. It adds a lot to the game and I never play without it. Looking forward if you ever do make UEIII.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 53
RE: Unleashed Extended - 7/2/2015 4:49:30 PM   
B1ackwolf

Hi mordachai, this is a pretty nice mod, thanks and im wishing for a third part, but until them, i would like to play the osito research unleashed BUT with the changes in UEII (except the economy boost)until you release the III version :) , i would like the enhanced techtree, the weapons adjustment and the changes in races (lipid for example), where are those changes located?, thanks compadre, and sorry for the annoying questions >_<.

Edit: i was using the EUI without problems, and decided to try EUII, but i have problems with lipid, if i try to choose them, the game says something like:

quote:

************** Texto de la excepción **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: El índice estaba fuera del intervalo. Debe ser un valor no negativo e inferior al tamaño de la colección.
Nombre del parámetro: index
en System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
en System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
en DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.GenerateRaceSummary(Race race)
en DistantWorlds.Start.Pmn6J1x4eLDjUPSVQ3p(Object )
en DistantWorlds.Start.BdsQU4GFmi(Race )
en DistantWorlds.Start.J3SQiRD6AE(EncyclopediaItem )
en DistantWorlds.Start.Lx5QZw3lP7(Object , EncyclopediaItemChangedEventArgs )
en DistantWorlds.Controls.EncyclopediaTopicTree.Topics_NodeMouseClick(Object sender, TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
en System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnNodeMouseClick(TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
en System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
en System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
en System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
en System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
en System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

i know is in spanish but it talks about some exception, and some sort of failure in some parameter, i tried to go to the folder the problem said, but i deffinetly dont know what im doing , so i decided to stop, can you help me please?, sorry for bothering you >_<

< Message edited by B1ackwolf -- 7/3/2015 10:50:23 AM >

(in reply to joshbm)
Post #: 54
RE: Unleashed Extended - 7/5/2015 1:07:54 PM   
Caledor

Are all pirates in this mod smugglers?

Edit: I have found other pirates, they are weeker as normal but ok.
I was just wondering, because the first 4 pirates i meet was a smugglers and in 25 years no pirate attacks me.

< Message edited by Caledor -- 7/6/2015 7:17:00 PM >

(in reply to B1ackwolf)
Post #: 55
RE: Unleashed Extended - 7/7/2015 2:59:52 PM   
12doze12

So what is the main difference between this mod and Beyond Extended Universe?

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 56
RE: Unleashed Extended - 7/7/2015 3:55:15 PM   
Caledor

It includes Beyond Extended Universe.

The main differences are a stronger ai (build bigger ships) and more balance. In Extended Universe some races are so overpowered, that you can't play them as a human.

(in reply to 12doze12)
Post #: 57
RE: Unleashed Extended - 8/2/2015 5:46:33 AM   
Kimmy

Hey mordachai, just wanted to quickly throw out a thank you for putting this mod together. Downloaded it a week ago and I've been having tons of fun with it! I've been playing Unleashed Extended I to avoid the over-boosted economy from version II, but if you ever get around to putting a more econ-balanced version III together I'd download that faster than you can say "Caslon Missile" =)

(in reply to Caledor)
Post #: 58
RE: Unleashed Extended - 1/4/2016 7:34:52 PM   
Retreat1970

Bump.

(in reply to Kimmy)
Post #: 59
RE: Unleashed Extended - 1/14/2016 8:41:23 PM   
bill2505

great mod. will you upgrade the ai mod.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Unleashed Extended Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI