Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Option 47

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Option 47 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Option 47 - 5/27/2015 12:21:36 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar
Well, actually, software development is a complicated issue.

For the record, I never said that software development isn't complicated--of course it is.

What isn't complicated is the decision to release a beta product as if it were a final product. And while it might be "complicated" to determine what is a beta product, this is Matrix's business after all--they've released how many dozens of games over the last few years? Sorry, but I think they should have figured that part of the business out by now. And I hate to keep repeating this, but they had an very similar experience with EiA but apparently didn't learn any lessons. And I was less than satisfied with WitE upon its release as well. And while they did a commendable job patching and repatching WitE as well as possible, the same can't be said about EiA (which I had hoped to buy but ultimately did not based on the poor reviews).

To be clear, this is not a frothing rant against Matrix--I bought dozens of their games over the years, and am sure that I'll buy more, but at this point I tend to wait a few months after release to get a better understanding from the state of the game from the forums before buying.

But as a counter argument what if Matrix did NOT know that so many issues would come up after release. I'm sure the beta's and Steve had a bug list and if Steve and Matrix felt the amount of KNOWN bugs was acceptable (i.e. they have released games before with X% of bugs) and that they could be fixed within a month or two post release. If this was the case (and I have no idea if it was or not) why would they call the release a beta? After the release it was way too late to call the game a beta so we have what we currently have.

Just like hindsight helps us in playing these types of games, it is easy to use it to say Matrix should have done this or that. But just like Germany did not expect France to fall so fast, Matrix may not have expected the bugs to grow so fast. After all if Germany KNEW France would fall so fast (or even Poland) like we do today, would they still have signed an agreement with Stalin? If Matrix could roll back the clock, I like to think they would have done things a LOT different. Just like we do when we play. But until there is a game called 'Matrix World in Flames Software Release' we will never be able to revisit the past and try to recreate a better outcome

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 5/27/2015 1:22:19 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 301
RE: Option 47 - 5/27/2015 4:50:20 AM   
76mm

quote:

But as a counter argument what if Matrix did NOT know that so many issues would come up after release. I'm sure the beta's and Steve had a bug list and if Steve and Matrix felt the amount of KNOWN bugs was acceptable (i.e. they have released games before with X% of bugs) and that they could be fixed within a month or two post release.

I expect that this was the case. But my point is that computer wargames is Matrix's business, and at this point I would expect them to have a pretty good idea about how to figure out if a game is beta or not. If they didn't know, then that indicates that the testing was inadequate, which they should have realized prior to release. I would think they would be especially cautious about releasing complex board game conversions given their poor experience with them (eg, EiA). So to me, a "they didn't know" excuse is wholly unconvincing. Maybe something in their contract with ADG forced them to release the game, dunno...

Two out of three of my last game purchases from Matrix (WiF and WitE) I thought were half-baked on release. The most recent game that I bought (CMANO) was in good shape when I bought it, but that was several months after release. For me, from now on all Matrix games will be on a "wait and see" list for several months after release.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 302
RE: Option 47 - 5/27/2015 12:00:30 PM   
NielsJuel

Again I agree with 76mm.
The lesson I have learned is never to buy games upon release, but wait and see and let others do the beta testing ( again kudos to you).
Then perhaps I can get the game nice and patched and perhaps even at a lower price or else I can pass. That is for me the consequence of many gaming companys business model, where much of the beta testing takes place after release ( Total War: Rome II is an other example).
I personally felt cheated when I also paid premium price for Rome 2 at release and the game was very buggy when I instead could have waited for a Steam sale and then gotten the game at a lower price and in a better condition.
I think it is not fair to pay premium price for half-baked games, when instead if I wait I can get games that hopefully are in better condition and perhaps even at a lower price.
It should be the other way around.
But again I am just a customer with no interest in beta testing ( at least not at premium price) so I will act accordingly.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 303
RE: Option 47 - 5/27/2015 2:52:15 PM   
Centuur

I'm saying you this: the decision to release the game was made by Matrix.

And by saying this, I've said almost too much already...

Peter

(in reply to NielsJuel)
Post #: 304
RE: Option 47 - 5/27/2015 5:37:02 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: NielsJuel
I think it is not fair to pay premium price for half-baked games, when instead if I wait I can get games that hopefully are in better condition and perhaps even at a lower price.
It should be the other way around.

Generally I agree, particularly since at least some games have a hard-core fan base that would probably be willing to pay a premium price for a beta project just to support development. Personally I'm going to buy the upcoming MidEast Campaign Series game just because I really admire what the devs are doing.

I'm not aware of any wargames that have been developed on Kickstarter, but I recently read that the developer of Star Citizen--a space game--has raised something like $72 million (!!) from Kickstarter and its own site.

I think that Steel Panthers and maybe TOAW is crying out for an approach like this, rather than what might come to be known as the "Matrix Model" if Matrix isn't careful.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 5/28/2015 4:30:29 AM >

(in reply to NielsJuel)
Post #: 305
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 12:05:00 AM   
paulderynck

Twilight Struggle is in progress via Kickstarter. I think the objective was $200K and they got close to $500K.

...but $72M ??? OMG!

Paul

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 306
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 3:32:46 AM   
76mm

Now up to $80 million; here is a Wikipedia article about the game, which has a section on funding...amazing:

Star Citizen

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 307
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 4:40:11 AM   
brian brian

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I still want to know how much money you have to pump in to Game of War for it to reveal Kate Upton's breasts however. I think a couple big spenders in the Middle East are desperate to find out, from what I read on the interwebz.

I have a wonderful war-game that is quite simple and intuitive but has very high re-playability and good historical feel coming through the simplicity. Lots and lots of dice rolling too. It was a Charles Roberts award winner upon release I believe. It would make a just exactly perfect tablet app.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 308
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 4:45:49 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian
I have a wonderful war-game that is quite simple and intuitive but has very high re-playability and good historical feel coming through the simplicity. Lots and lots of dice rolling too.

Gee, sounds like ASL, hahaha.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 309
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 5:02:58 AM   
brian brian

I used to love Squad Leader. I would never ever want to play it on a computer though. Computers should be used to erase playability compromises like IGoYouGo, not go back to the past. I would like to play certain Cross of Iron scenarios with simultaneous blind movement and a real simulation of company/battalion commander command&control capabilities, possibly in Real Time. Wait, you mean enemy tanks don't stop and wait for their "turn" ?

The battle in the movie "We Were Soldiers" is a much better example of what combat command is is probably like than a Squad Leader scenario is. Would make a great war-game on a computer.

I would also like to play an American Civil War game where your orders reach the left wing at the speed of a dispatch rider and your map of the battle is a hand-drawn Engineer topo plus random local intelligence and what you can see through the smoke with your own eyes.

Option 47 does seem rather Hollywood-esque now that I think about it. We may have been out of supply behind enemy lines for over an hour now, but thank God we didn't run out of hair conditioner.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 310
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 4:02:13 PM   
bo

quote:

I used to love Squad Leader. I would never ever want to play it on a computer though. Computers should be used to erase playability compromises like IGoYouGo, not go back to the past. I would like to play certain Cross of Iron scenarios with simultaneous blind movement and a real simulation of company/battalion commander command&control capabilities, possibly in Real Time. Wait, you mean enemy tanks don't stop and wait for their "turn" ?

The battle in the movie "We Were Soldiers" is a much better example of what combat command is is probably like than a Squad Leader scenario is. Would make a great war-game on a computer.

I would also like to play an American Civil War game where your orders reach the left wing at the speed of a dispatch rider and your map of the battle is a hand-drawn Engineer topo plus random local intelligence and what you can see through the smoke with your own eyes.

Option 47 does seem rather Hollywood-esque now that I think about it. We may have been out of supply behind enemy lines for over an hour now, but thank God we didn't run out of hair conditioner.

Or hair spray for my thin hair

Bo

Post #: 311
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 5:51:57 PM   
WarHunter

Problem with real time games. Its not enough that your mind is fast enough to figure out what you want to do.
Its how fast your hand and fingers are as you think. Mouse monkey games are great for younger gamers.
Not so much as your body ages.
Playability and Realism is the tightrope to negotiate.

For the young and older gamer. Chess is Igoygo. Still a popular turn based game.
http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/6376-agon-releases-new-chess-player-statistics-from-yougov.html
Wargames created in the classic igoygo play style is an acceptable way to play. Even for a computer game.

That American Civil War game you want is here. At least its pretty darn close to your description.
Scourge of War
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml

Here's to more Turn-based games

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

Post #: 312
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 11:33:57 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

O.K., reading between the lines then I surmise that Steve was not ready to release but was forced to by Matrix?

I know, you're under an NDA that prevents you from either confirming or denying this.

So, let me pose another question to the folks here in general. (1) Is it better to have MWiF in the state it's in and under continued development by Steve or (2) Not have MWiF?

Personally I think (1) is the better option (condition) because I think Matrix would be much more likely to pull the plug on MWiF in case (2) versus (1). This is, unless we all abandon MWiF.

Another question, is it better to have an "imperfect", but evolving MWiF or an abandoned (or no) MWiF?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 5/29/2015 12:34:14 AM >

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 313
RE: Option 47 - 5/28/2015 11:36:04 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

I have a wonderful war-game that is quite simple and intuitive but has very high re-playability and good historical feel coming through the simplicity. Lots and lots of dice rolling too.

It's got to be RISK.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 5/29/2015 12:36:15 AM >

Ronnie

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 314
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 12:42:30 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958
So, let me pose another question to the folks here in general. (1) Is it better to have MWiF in the state it's in and under continued development by Steve or (2) Not have MWiF?

Personally I think (1) is the better option (condition) because I think Matrix would be much more likely to pull the plug on MWiF in case (2) versus (1). This is, unless we all abandon MWiF.

Another question, is it better to have an "imperfect", but evolving MWiF or an abandoned (or no) MWiF?

I'm pretty much indifferent, but if we go with Option 1, I am very firmly in the camp that it should not have been sold unless it was made clear to customers that it was "under development" when released.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 315
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 12:44:01 AM   
bo

deleted

< Message edited by bo -- 5/29/2015 2:01:53 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 316
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 1:01:18 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

O.K., reading between the lines then I surmise that Steve was not ready to release but was forced to by Matrix?

I know, you're under an NDA that prevents you from either confirming or denying this.

Reading between the lines rkr I believe that neither Steve or Matrix had a choice about the release of MWIF. Now contemplate that for awhile. Need any more clues?

I think at this point some of the beta testers could care less about the NDA and with that said I cant deny or confirm because I just don't know at this point in time, above our pay grades.

Up to the next question you have been pretty good with your posts, found this question a little strange, of course it is better for Steve to go on as the next choice is doomsville.

I have no idea whether Matrix will pull the plug or not, I do feel that if this was costing them funds out of their pocket this Matrix MWIF game forum would be long gone.

The last question I will leave alone as I cannot think of an answer to give you. Are you feeling all right rkr? Or are you just testing us.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 5/29/2015 2:07:20 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 317
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 1:16:03 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's got to be RISK.

I love Risk rkr, but sometimes with all the tough decisions that have to be made wear me down that is why I take a breather once in a while and play MWIF

Bo

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 318
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 1:29:48 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

quote:

Reading between the lines rkr I believe that neither Steve or Matrix had a choice about the release of MWIF. Now contemplate that for awhile. Need any more clues?

I think at this point some of the beta testers could care less about the NDA and with that said I cant deny or confirm because I just don't know at this point in time, above our pay grades.

Up to the next question you have been pretty good with your posts, found this question a little strange, of course it is better for Steve to go on as the next choice is doomsville.

I have no idea whether Matrix will pull the plug or not, I do feel that if this was costing them funds out of their pocket this Matrix MWIF game forum would be long gone.

The last question I will leave alone as I cannot think of an answer to give you. Are you feeling all right rkr? Or are you just testing us.

Bo
I haven't had my daily fix of MWiF ... I'll be alright in a few minutes though.

Seriously though, I'd never heard of WiF, or MWiF, until about 6 or so years ago. Honestly, I thought the game was a bit out of my reach in terms of complexity and scope. And as far as WiF was concerned, physical space. Then a little over a year ago, on impulse I bought MWiF and have not regretted one bit. I'm having a blast. What saddens me, is the thought of MWiF and this forum going away. I don't mean literally, but becoming dead ... an abandoned game and a ghost forum.

My perspective is that I'm new to (M)WiF and only been learning / playing it since February 2014. I know this project has been in the works for more than a decade. That's a long time in the computer world, both software and hardware wise. I also can understand that folks who are experts on and play the cardboard and paper version of MWiF, expect MWiF to faithfully match that experience to within reasonable bounds. Not having that experience, I'm blissfully ignorant of when "key" rules are present or not enforced properly. When playing, I just accept how the game operates is how I'm suppose to play it.

Also, I'm not a beta tester and therefore privy to information the rest of you have. Or, do I see the behind the scenes politics and disagreements that you do. I'm just excited about MWiF and want to it, and this forum, to be vibrant a decade from now. Heck, two decades from now. I'm being selfish, but I don't want to lose either. That's where I'm coming from.

Ronnie

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 319
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 1:58:57 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

quote:

Bo
I haven't had my daily fix of MWiF ... I'll be alright in a few minutes though.

Seriously though, I'd never heard of WiF, or MWiF, until about 6 or so years ago. Honestly, I thought the game was a bit out of my reach in terms of complexity and scope. And as far as WiF was concerned, physical space. Then a little over a year ago, on impulse I bought MWiF and have not regretted one bit. I'm having a blast. What saddens me, is the thought of MWiF and this forum going away. I don't mean literally, but becoming dead ... an abandoned game and a ghost forum.

My perspective is that I'm new to (M)WiF and only been learning / playing it since February 2014. I know this project has been in the works for more than a decade. That's a long time in the computer world, both software and hardware wise. I also can understand that folks who are experts on and play the cardboard and paper version of MWiF, expect MWiF to faithfully match that experience to within reasonable bounds. Not having that experience, I'm blissfully ignorant of when "key" rules are present or not enforced properly. When playing, I just accept how the game operates is how I'm suppose to play it.

Also, I'm not a beta tester and therefore privy to information the rest of you have. Or, do I see the behind the scenes politics and disagreements that you do. I'm just excited about MWiF and want to it, and this forum, to be vibrant a decade from now. Heck, two decades from now. I'm being selfish, but I don't want to lose either. That's where I'm coming from.

Well said appreciate your feelings for MWIF rkr, I too knew nothing about the game prior to 2009, I think about 2011 I joined the beta team and was astonished by the complexity and what Steve had to deal with, I have no knowledge of politics but there was some discussions about direction to say the least.

I do not like the direction that we went and have said it many times both in the beta forums and the general forums until posters are tired of hearing of my position on MWIF. I have always openly expressed my feelings on the forums NDA or no NDA. IMHO the ball is now in Matrix's corner and I personally think, on second thought I will keep this opinion to myself for another month or two.

Bo

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 320
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 2:34:21 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

quote:

I'm firmly in #1 above as I would not even be playing this game at all if it was not on the PC

Also, it is far better (imho) to have what we have (and the slow pace of fixes) versus giving up like what happened with EiA and a lot of other games (not just at Matrix alone).

But then as I said before my expectations were really low at release so I got what I expected to get. Plus I even bought two copies on release And I'm still happy with my purchase but do understand why others are not.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 321
RE: Option 47 - 5/29/2015 3:13:38 AM   
juntoalmar

+1

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 322
RE: Option 47 - 5/31/2015 3:02:23 PM   
brian brian

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Problem with real time games. Its not enough that your mind is fast enough to figure out what you want to do.
Its how fast your hand and fingers are as you think. Mouse monkey games are great for younger gamers.
Not so much as your body ages.
Playability and Realism is the tightrope to negotiate.

For the young and older gamer. Chess is Igoygo. Still a popular turn based game.
http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/6376-agon-releases-new-chess-player-statistics-from-yougov.html
Wargames created in the classic igoygo play style is an acceptable way to play. Even for a computer game.

That American Civil War game you want is here. At least its pretty darn close to your description.
Scourge of War
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml

Here's to more Turn-based games

Thanks WH, I'll check that out.

What I want to see in Real Time / Simultaneous games is not pull-the-trigger first-person-shooter gaming (no shortage of that available everywhere), but Real Time Command games. I'm thinking as voice recognition continues to improve, this can be put into historical gaming somehow. Military conflict always happens without being able to think, ahh well, I'll figure out what to tell the 2nd Battalion to do tomorrow. Fine for Grand Strategy games, sure, but not Operational to Tactical level.

Also in Strategy games, computers should be used to solve the Playability problems Fog of War creates with paper and cardboard systems. Even at the Grand Strategic level, there was plenty of Fog of War before the rise of detailed satellite coverage commanders have today.

I"m a little less interested in worrying about the stats showing the 1st division only has half as many artillery tubes as the 2nd division. (WitP:AE)

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 323
RE: Option 47 - 6/1/2015 7:20:51 AM   
juntoalmar

For Realtime wargames, what about Conquest of the Aegean?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/313/details/Conquest.of.the.Aegean

I played some time ago and it was really good. I abandoned as (as usually happens to me with operational level wargames) I don't know what's going on. I mean, in MWiF 10 land factors attack 2 land factors and it's 5:1. In operational level there is morale, fatigue, supply, distance from HQ... that affects the combat and I am unable to trace, and (thus) combat results are not what I expected. Other than that (which is only a personal caveat) it seemed great to me.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

Post #: 324
RE: Option 47 - 6/6/2015 3:11:25 PM   
Zorachus99

Hi Bo,

I don't think there is a free speech issue on the forum. Look at my silly little situation.

I was playing the game, happily spelunking along, and tsk-tsking some supply issues across the lake to Libya. Then I saw some units that should have stayed disorganized, instead do a magical dance and became re-organized. Shocked, I reported it as a bug.

This my readers, is where my sad tale begins. I report surrounded units being re-organized, and I found out that units being allowed to spontaneously re-organize was an optional rule! In fact, it was called Optional Rule #47. Hastily I scrambled to a-d-g.com.au and searched the official PDF. Agonized, I fell back into my chair, shuddering inside. What had they done? Do they really think surrounded units should re-organized? I hastily check isolated oil dependent units in-game, and they do retain disorganization status! I wailed a good bit on the bug report forums in wrath, and anger of ruined games. Hours lost, unable to be regained. Pleaded and raged for a tool to allow me to continue my games. But, from high above, silence.

Never once was one of my threads closed.

Here I have a open thread regarding how un-realistic this game is without optional 47, and it has not been closed. I think that the reason is that, first, there is a legitimate concern regarding the rule itself. I agree with many others that an isolated unit should be allowed to be destroyed by the owner, but that mechanic is absent from the actual RAW of WIF. I've never had Guderian or Zhukov trapped, and whenever I've completed such a move, I always end the suffering sooner than later. I prefer the coup-de-grace, and not try to make my opponent suffer; not to mention it very often relieves logistical issues.

My point being that the thread still lives, not because I insist on insulting people, but actually I post logical arguments in my own favor. Those thoughts are argumented on, discussed, and generally considered fairly or unfairly. While the topic isn't generally favorable, there remains an element of possibility that the issue could be resolved.

Many, many, alternatives have been offered for the rule, but it cannot be played around. Particularly in Siberia and China. The tool to fix the problem denied to all but beta-testers (4).

My opponent and I were tackling the Asian map with complex strategies regarding control, supply, and logistics. Both of us moved unsupplied units even further out of supply to capture objective areas. In military terms this is known as exploitation, because typically most opponents will not even have speed-bumps behind their front line. Taking supply sources, victory cites, isolating enemy units are the primary reasons for moving out-of-supply units, and disorganizing them.

Overall I've not determined whether the change in map scale makes the asian map untenable, or still playable. However, due to the lack of units in the overall theatre, supply becomes extremely important, and units tracing supply over enemy hexes is not allowed. I wouild like to make my own conclusions whether the unification of the map scale breaks the game, or whether it is still viable.

Just for those who don't know, a very often used strategy is for the USSR to declare war on Japan as soon as possible in the full 1939 campaign. Why? They get their reserve units (non-GE) and even more important, they are no longer neutral. They can call any action, where for them, the Land action is extremely powerful.

An attack on Japan in 1940 with the USSR could see the Japanese unseated in Manchuria, Korea, and China perhaps. With no rule implemented regarding peace, other than a gentleman's agreement, means the Germans have to rescue the Japanese in 1941 with Barbarossa.

With the new map scale, what is the result of max pressure on Japan early game? I still don't know. Does it break WIF? Don't know. You see, to answer said questions, supply has to work properly. To me, Rule #47 has never been optional, it can be exploited in multiple ways that are unquestioningly un-realistic. why it's an optional is a source of continual wonderment for me.

But my thread on my wonderment over option #47 isn't closed. Consider that, and why it would be.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 325
RE: Option 47 - 6/6/2015 3:36:59 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

Hi Bo,

I don't think there is a free speech issue on the forum. Look at my silly little situation.

I was playing the game, happily spelunking along, and tsk-tsking some supply issues across the lake to Libya. Then I saw some units that should have stayed disorganized, instead do a magical dance and became re-organized. Shocked, I reported it as a bug.

This my readers, is where my sad tale begins. I report surrounded units being re-organized, and I found out that units being allowed to spontaneously re-organize was an optional rule! In fact, it was called Optional Rule #47. Hastily I scrambled to a-d-g.com.au and searched the official PDF. Agonized, I fell back into my chair, shuddering inside. What had they done? Do they really think surrounded units should re-organized? I hastily check isolated oil dependent units in-game, and they do retain disorganization status! I wailed a good bit on the bug report forums in wrath, and anger of ruined games. Hours lost, unable to be regained. Pleaded and raged for a tool to allow me to continue my games. But, from high above, silence.

Never once was one of my threads closed.

Here I have a open thread regarding how un-realistic this game is without optional 47, and it has not been closed. I think that the reason is that, first, there is a legitimate concern regarding the rule itself. I agree with many others that an isolated unit should be allowed to be destroyed by the owner, but that mechanic is absent from the actual RAW of WIF. I've never had Guderian or Zhukov trapped, and whenever I've completed such a move, I always end the suffering sooner than later. I prefer the coup-de-grace, and not try to make my opponent suffer; not to mention it very often relieves logistical issues.

My point being that the thread still lives, not because I insist on insulting people, but actually I post logical arguments in my own favor. Those thoughts are argumented on, discussed, and generally considered fairly or unfairly. While the topic isn't generally favorable, there remains an element of possibility that the issue could be resolved.

Many, many, alternatives have been offered for the rule, but it cannot be played around. Particularly in Siberia and China. The tool to fix the problem denied to all but beta-testers (4).

My opponent and I were tackling the Asian map with complex strategies regarding control, supply, and logistics. Both of us moved unsupplied units even further out of supply to capture objective areas. In military terms this is known as exploitation, because typically most opponents will not even have speed-bumps behind their front line. Taking supply sources, victory cites, isolating enemy units are the primary reasons for moving out-of-supply units, and disorganizing them.

Overall I've not determined whether the change in map scale makes the asian map untenable, or still playable. However, due to the lack of units in the overall theatre, supply becomes extremely important, and units tracing supply over enemy hexes is not allowed. I wouild like to make my own conclusions whether the unification of the map scale breaks the game, or whether it is still viable.

Just for those who don't know, a very often used strategy is for the USSR to declare war on Japan as soon as possible in the full 1939 campaign. Why? They get their reserve units (non-GE) and even more important, they are no longer neutral. They can call any action, where for them, the Land action is extremely powerful.

An attack on Japan in 1940 with the USSR could see the Japanese unseated in Manchuria, Korea, and China perhaps. With no rule implemented regarding peace, other than a gentleman's agreement, means the Germans have to rescue the Japanese in 1941 with Barbarossa.

With the new map scale, what is the result of max pressure on Japan early game? I still don't know. Does it break WIF? Don't know. You see, to answer said questions, supply has to work properly. To me, Rule #47 has never been optional, it can be exploited in multiple ways that are unquestioningly un-realistic. why it's an optional is a source of continual wonderment for me.

But my thread on my wonderment over option #47 isn't closed. Consider that, and why it would be.

Agreed well said and I stand corrected on free speech here.

Bo

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 326
RE: Option 47 - 6/6/2015 8:04:18 PM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

In my experience, usually on the Asia map this involves bypassed ChiComm units trying to trace to Urumqi or Kashgar or far south, potentially dozens of hexes in any case. As a house rule, we would look suspiciously at giant supply lines that snaked through desert, mountains, etc. endlessly to establish supply improbably far, far away: when flipped, those guys would stay flipped until relived from the outside. This also alleviated littering the map with control markers.

Maybe as a compromise that retains the spirit of the rule without taking ages to compute, the computer could cut off its supply search after 15 or 20 hexes? That seems a reasonable distance to preserve some need to truly pocket bypassed forces.

Otherwise, it's inconceivable playing without 47.

That is my intended solution. However it remains on my task list as a not 'super' high priority.

It's a year later from the above post. If you look a the dozen posts before it, near unanimous agreement from paying customers and betas that this should be a priority. Any progress?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 327
RE: Option 47 - 6/6/2015 11:04:06 PM   
joshuamnave

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

In my experience, usually on the Asia map this involves bypassed ChiComm units trying to trace to Urumqi or Kashgar or far south, potentially dozens of hexes in any case. As a house rule, we would look suspiciously at giant supply lines that snaked through desert, mountains, etc. endlessly to establish supply improbably far, far away: when flipped, those guys would stay flipped until relived from the outside. This also alleviated littering the map with control markers.

Maybe as a compromise that retains the spirit of the rule without taking ages to compute, the computer could cut off its supply search after 15 or 20 hexes? That seems a reasonable distance to preserve some need to truly pocket bypassed forces.

Otherwise, it's inconceivable playing without 47.

That is my intended solution. However it remains on my task list as a not 'super' high priority.

It's a year later from the above post. If you look a the dozen posts before it, near unanimous agreement from paying customers and betas that this should be a priority. Any progress?

Thanks for speaking up for us, but I think you might be more that slightly mischaracterizing the group-think. Several of us have spoken out against rule 47, including me, and why we wouldn't play with it. For me, it's definitely not a priority and I would much rather the game actually work (still haven't finished a single game start to finish without one or more bugs preventing the game from continuing) than to see optional rules I don't intent to use get implemented. And if we're talking about optional rule implementation, I'm much more eager to see some sort of (probably modified) implementation of Soviet/Japanese peace rules.

Although I more or less agree with you on the way Matrix has handled this project, start to finish, I think it's fair to say that you do not in any way speak for the majority on these boards.

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 328
RE: Option 47 - 6/7/2015 12:05:34 AM   
CrusssDaddy

You're not a very careful reader, but you're confident in your ignorance, which has its own charm.

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 329
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Option 47 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI