Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated 28 June 2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated 28 June 2014 Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 1/28/2015 5:25:46 PM   
witpqs

I run in windowed mode. I made the size be so that horizontally it takes up the whole monitor, but vertically it leaves room at the bottom for the windows taskbar so I can switch applications (like between Tracker and AE) quickly. I find that using full-screen mode and switching back and forth is a pain and takes far longer while the video 'resets' or something.

Here is the full command line I use for the Windows 7 desktop:

"C:\Matrix Games\WITP AE - PBM #1\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -cpu4 -dd_sw -archive -wd -pxf1920 -pyf1018 -noFire

Here is the one I use for the Windows 8.1 laptop (the screen size is too small to leave the Windows taskbar exposed, so I set it to "autohide" or whatever it's called):

"C:\Matrix Games\WITP AE - PBM #1\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders -cpu3

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 1231
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 1/28/2015 5:42:21 PM   
Odin

Everything ok!

Thanks guys!

(in reply to Odin)
Post #: 1232
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 1/28/2015 8:47:32 PM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

These are the two switches that make the most difference for me. I do use other switches, (like -deepColor on a Windows 8.1 laptop) so the combinations might matter some, but these two are the big ones.

-fixedArt -noFire

-noFire was introduced a long time ago and might be included in -fixedArt (which I think does more). These switches turns off the various animations, for example the wave action on the ship details screen, smoke on that screen, gunfire and explosions in the combat animations screen, and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of. It might be nice to see these things, but believe me, if you like a game like AE you can live without them!

-fixedArt disables rotating artwork which changes by date so all artwork stays at game default. This frees up memory (apparently) rather that processor power.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1233
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 2/3/2015 5:58:52 AM   
alanschu

Hey everyone. Just checking but the general stability is good I imagine? I'm about to be recovering from jaw surgery soonish and this will be one that keeps me occupied for 2-6 weeks but I won't have internet where I'm at so I need to preload!

Cheers!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1234
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 2/3/2015 1:19:35 PM   
witpqs

Perfectly fine. The Beta is better than the 'latest official', as it fixes many bugs discovered since then plus has various improvements.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 1235
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 2/3/2015 3:22:44 PM   
Strike Eagle

quote:

Perfectly fine. The Beta is better than the 'latest official', as it fixes many bugs discovered since then plus has various improvements.

Does beta patch 7 come with its own scenario editor? The reason I'm asking is because while the 'latest official' has a menu that pops up with options like 'launch game' and the scenario editor, beta patch 7 just goes straight to launching the game.

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight-it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1236
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 2/3/2015 3:51:39 PM   
witpqs

The Beta is only for the game, not the scenario editor. The scenario editor is the same.

The Beta installs itself in the sub-folder "Beta2", and makes a shortcut to that version of the game. The intent is that you can use the regular shortcut or the Beta shortcut, depending on whether you want to run the Beta or not at a particular moment. Consider that you might have a PBM going that uses the official release, while you are using the Beta for a game against the AI, or you might have two AI games going so you can see the difference between the official and the Beta - that sort of thing.

BTW, the game allows you to copy it to another folder on the same PC, so that you have multiple installations. That is how many players handle playing more than one PBM without having scenario mods, report files and such getting all confused together.

(in reply to Strike Eagle)
Post #: 1237
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 2/4/2015 6:10:45 AM   
alanschu

Thanks for the reply witpqs.

Getting things preloaded on the USB stick (heading to my parents as I'll be on assisted living for 2 weeks) and adding this.

Cheers!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1238
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 2/4/2015 2:17:01 PM   
Strike Eagle

quote:

The Beta is only for the game, not the scenario editor. The scenario editor is the same.

The Beta installs itself in the sub-folder "Beta2", and makes a shortcut to that version of the game. The intent is that you can use the regular shortcut or the Beta shortcut, depending on whether you want to run the Beta or not at a particular moment. Consider that you might have a PBM going that uses the official release, while you are using the Beta for a game against the AI, or you might have two AI games going so you can see the difference between the official and the Beta - that sort of thing.

BTW, the game allows you to copy it to another folder on the same PC, so that you have multiple installations. That is how many players handle playing more than one PBM without having scenario mods, report files and such getting all confused together.

Alright, thanks witpqs.

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight-it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1239
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/9/2015 9:54:50 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

I run in windowed mode. I made the size be so that horizontally it takes up the whole monitor, but vertically it leaves room at the bottom for the windows taskbar so I can switch applications (like between Tracker and AE) quickly. I find that using full-screen mode and switching back and forth is a pain and takes far longer while the video 'resets' or something.

Here is the full command line I use for the Windows 7 desktop:

"C:\Matrix Games\WITP AE - PBM #1\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -cpu4 -dd_sw -archive -wd -pxf1920 -pyf1018 -noFire

Here is the one I use for the Windows 8.1 laptop (the screen size is too small to leave the Windows taskbar exposed, so I set it to "autohide" or whatever it's called):

"C:\Matrix Games\WITP AE - PBM #1\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders -cpu3

Any idea how to get it to stretch the main game windows (opening windows with control panels for settings, scenario selection and such)?

When I launch my fresh install of WiTPAE, it does this. But when I launch the beta, the windows are small and do not fill my screen. Even using the syntax in your Win 7 command didn't achieve the same thing. With that, I get a black screen covering the desktop but the game windows remain small.

ADDIT: Uh . . . I think something is wrong here. I have no scenarios listed when I launch either version of the game (beta or vanilla). When i first launched vanilla before beta I definitely did have scenarios but now the folder is empty.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 3/9/2015 10:59:18 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1240
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/10/2015 1:21:38 AM   
btd64

Reload the base game.
Then update to the latest OFFICIAL patch.
Then download and install the aug 2014 beta.

At that point, remember to start the game from the new beta icon on your desktop.

If all is well, and you get the window with your windows desktop showing on the sides, Then try the switch -wd
Window mode plus daily saves. I use this one plus about 4 or 5 others. Unfortunatly I can't remember the others, but they are here in the forum

Good luck and happy hunting....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 1241
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/10/2015 1:52:40 AM   
Anthropoid

Yeah that is what I did. I suspect the problem arose because after downloading it, I:

1. Created a folder C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific AE\Beta
2. Moved the download there.
3. Unzipped it there
4. Ran the installer for the Beta patch

Why that would delete the scenarios I don't know but I'm suspecting it was meant to be executed with it sitting outside the directory in which WiTPAE is sitting.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 1242
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/10/2015 2:22:06 AM   
witpqs

This will give you an idea of the basic structure. Everything is the same as the basic installation, then the Beta goes into 'Beta2' underneath the main folder.

Edit to add: Then just run it in there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by witpqs -- 3/10/2015 3:22:30 AM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 1243
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/10/2015 2:25:37 AM   
witpqs

At the risk of stating the obvious: the Beta comes in a .zip. You extract the .exe from the .zip, then run the .exe.

Make sure that your shortcut is pointing to the Beta and the the "Start In" setting of the shortcut points to the main folder (in the example above it's the one called "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition", but you could have one called "PBM#1" and it would still work fine).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1244
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/10/2015 3:23:09 PM   
Anthropoid

I think I'll just copy paste my new functioning vanilla WiTPAE install directory and then fiddle with the Beta on an extra copy so if it repeats the problem I don't have to go through reinstalling and repatching a 3rd time.

Very surprised it did what it did. I have plenty of experience installing patches and mods. Only thing I can figure is it didn't like having the .exe for the patch run from a sub-directory in which the game is located. Or I might have failed to select something.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1245
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/10/2015 3:38:27 PM   
witpqs

I am sure that the Beta install does not even have any code in it to do what you described. It does not delete scenarios, it does not install new scenarios, it doesn't do anything with that stuff. Something else happened that you did not notice.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 1246
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/11/2015 2:44:16 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

I am sure that the Beta install does not even have any code in it to do what you described. It does not delete scenarios, it does not install new scenarios, it doesn't do anything with that stuff. Something else happened that you did not notice.

They always _say_ these things are easy . . . but "they" probably have never dealt with an anthropoid installer

My steps this time:

1. Uninstalled all vestiges of WiTPAE
2. Reinstalled WiTPAE
3. Ran Auto-updater on WiTPAE
4. Opened 'pre-beta' version of game to see it works
5. Played a bit and created some saves on Dec 8
6. Copied "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition" directory and pasted it in the same level and renamed it: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition - PreBeta"
7. Downloaded the beta patch again to: "C:\Users\Anthropoid\Downloads"
8. Created a new sub-directory: "C:\Users\Anthropoid\Downloads\Matrix Games Beta DL" and moved the downloaded archive containing the beta there
9. Unzipped the archive
10. Ran the executable "C:\Users\Anthropoid\Downloads\Matrix Games Beta DL\FF6A296394E14BD18C86AE69886727C2\AEupdate1123x10"
11. Consulted the manual for the command line switches I wanted.
12. Right-click Opened Properties of the WiTPAE (Quick Start)item in my Start Menu
13. Added my command line switches to the Target line, resulting in: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fw –cpu4 -px1280 –py960
14. Launched the game using: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition"

Here is what happened next:

If I launch it without the added command line switches it boots up fine and everything seems in order, but I'm guessing that, because I have two copies of the game installed (the "pre-Beta" copy I made as a pre-caution in case the beta installtion borked) the Quick Start item in the Start Menu is not working as it should when the command line switch syntax is added?

Or perhaps I just got some of that syntax wrong?

ADDIT: Okay I don't think it is the latter, because when I launch the game using the Quick Start item in my Start Menu (the one with the command line switches listed above added) it launches fine, but is of course the pre-beta version.

I'm a bit perplexed why the choice was made to do the beta patch this way, i.e., a separate .exe in a sub-directory to the game directory.

Wouldn't it have been easier to instruct users to make a copy of their pre-beta game, and then simply overwrite the files with the beta updater? Seems like the problems I'm having are derived from the fact that the beta patch runs the game off of a second .exe which is failing to do what the pre-beta exe does: auto-detect screen resolutions and auto run the game in fullscreen mode, which is the main reason I am having problems; I'm trying to get it to do that and it is giving me that PW error.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 3/11/2015 4:02:58 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1247
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/11/2015 3:58:52 PM   
Anthropoid

Completely uinstalled WiTPAE. Reinstalled and reupdated. Applied Beta.

Applied command line switches to the Start Menu WiTPAE (Beta) (Quick Start) . . .

Hallelujah! it WORKS!

Beta patched version launched from beta patch Quick Start or desktop shortcut is booting with a full screen and everything is working!

Prologue: not sure what I was doing to mess it up, but all set up now.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 1248
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/11/2015 4:02:26 PM   
Skyros

The dash- that you select for the switches will have an impact depending on if it is the minus sign from the 10 keypad or the - from the number row on the main keyboard. I can't remember which one works, I do know that I had this problem years ago and when I changed it it worked. I think it is the one from the keyboard and not the keypad.

I'm sure somebody here know for sure.

< Message edited by Skyros -- 3/11/2015 5:03:16 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 1249
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/11/2015 4:06:25 PM   
witpqs

Usually that pwhex not found is because your shortcut is pointing at the wrong place. On my own PC have the default installation place. I also copied that basic installation folder (and all subfolders) to make separate installations for PBMs and such. Here is a pic of a shortcut for running the Beta in one of those copies. I took the pic of the copy because the name is shorter and it will be easier to see things in the pic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 1250
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/11/2015 4:07:39 PM   
witpqs

This next screen pic is just a higher level overview of how to edit a shortcut.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by witpqs -- 3/11/2015 5:08:13 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1251
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/16/2015 6:23:37 PM   
Lecivius

In light of today's 'official' patch, do we patch over a beta patch game file? Update, then reload the beta patches? There are a lot of things in today's patch, and I lost track of all that Michael has done for us over the years.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1252
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/16/2015 7:35:16 PM   
Mundy

That's kinda what I'm wondering too. I'm assuming the last "real" patch trumps the beta, but with the two numbering schemes, I'm unsure.

Don't forget to copy over the dll file for tracker with the new one.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1253
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/16/2015 9:33:18 PM   
Sardaukar

Official is dated Dec 25 2014, so it's lot later than latest Beta. So I don't think anyone should install Beta over it.

And it's v. 1.7.11.24 which is later number than 11.23x10.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/16/2015 10:34:47 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 1254
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/18/2015 5:17:07 PM   
michaelm75au

1.7.11.24 is 1.7.11.23x10
I changed the patch release numbers to make it stand out when I was told an official release was in the works.

Michael

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 1255
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/18/2015 5:24:59 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

1.7.11.24 is 1.7.11.23x10
I changed the patch release numbers to make it stand out when I was told an official release was in the works.

Three cheers for michaelm!

Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray

Hans

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 1256
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 3/18/2015 5:35:17 PM   
Trugrit

Thanks Michael

Bravo Zulu!

Post #: 1257
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 5/10/2015 4:49:14 AM   
michaelm75au

Attached is a version of the DLL that should support a JAVA version higher than 6.
It is named pwsdll7.dll.

Tracker will at some point be made to use this version, however if you want to try it out now..
1. Unzip into the tracker directory.
2. Rename the old pwsdll.dll to pwsdll.dll.old (or something as a backup)
3. Rename the new DLL as pwsdll.dll
4. Run tracker using 32-bit Java 7 or 8

If you have any issues with it, just delete and rename the backup copy to pwsdll.dll

Attachment (1)

Michael

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 1258
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 5/28/2015 2:56:34 AM   
Dante Fierro

So.

Just wondering with the latest official patch out, did this official patch include all the tweaks and fixes done in Beta? Or is there differences between the two versions? I guess as a follow up question, will there be any further Beta releases after this latest patch?

Thanks. (PS: I was using the Beta version up to this latest release, and I have switched over to the latest release version. But not quite sure what I've lost or gained.

< Message edited by Dante Fierro -- 5/28/2015 3:56:55 AM >

Post #: 1259
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated ... - 5/28/2015 3:21:31 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dante Fierro

So.

Just wondering with the latest official patch out, did this official patch include all the tweaks and fixes done in Beta? Or is there differences between the two versions? I guess as a follow up question, will there be any further Beta releases after this latest patch?

Thanks. (PS: I was using the Beta version up to this latest release, and I have switched over to the latest release version. But not quite sure what I've lost or gained.

Michael answered already, maybe in a thread about the new official release, that the latest official release and the latest Beta are the same code. He renumbered the version for the latest official release just to help people keep things straight.

(in reply to Dante Fierro)
Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1123x9 updated 28 June 2014 Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI