Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Names and photos - the new system

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> Names and photos - the new system Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Names and photos - the new system - 5/20/2015 1:52:29 PM   
AngrySwan

While having photos instead of silhouettes is a good idea, the current version has several issues with historical accuracy, at least in my opinion.

In the earlier versions both NASA and the Soviet space program had a heavy gender disbalance in favour of men, which is politically incorrect today but corresponds to the historical realia. The GSA, a utopian society, has a more gender balanced approach. In the new version there is a uniform approach to all three factions, NASA and Soviets becoming a little bit more gender balanced and the GSA falling back to the level of NASA and Soviets.

The Soviets did not have black or Asian scientists not because of some hostile Soviet policy but because these races did not live in the USSR. There could be some in NASA, although they would be few in the 1960s. GSA as a utopia could have scientists of all races.
Different photos for different nations in the future versions? Or maybe modding instructions for personalising the characters with instructions how to match a photo with a character?

Photos and age. A young scientist, age 25, with a look of a 50 year old. For this game I would need photos of people "age 25 to 45" because in 20 years of the gaming time people do age but not beyond recognition, so the same photo must be ok for the whole period. I do not think the game engine allows "aging of characters" like in Rome Total War, with changes in the photos.

This comment is on historical realia, not politics. As a retro sci fi fan I love utopias and a GSA could be a utopia, people of both genders and all nations and races working together to explore the Solar system. The real countries of the 1960s, however, were the way they were. You do not have commanders of different races for the Soviet armed forces and the same goes for scientists. There could be some space for equality in NASA, although in the 1960s it would be an exception not a rule, and everyone is welcome to the GSA.

Maybe the change of names is a part oa a plan that will be fully implemented in the following versions. Currently it looks like a good idea that needs to be finalised.

< Message edited by Marechal -- 5/20/2015 2:58:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Names and photos - the new system - 5/28/2015 8:08:43 AM   
shaunchattey

'In the earlier versions both NASA and the Soviet space program had a heavy gender disbalance in favour of men, which is politically incorrect today but corresponds to the historical realia. The GSA, a utopian society, has a more gender balanced approach. In the new version there is a uniform approach to all three factions, NASA and Soviets becoming a little bit more gender balanced and the GSA falling back to the level of NASA and Soviets. ' - Youre right, its historically accurate. As for the GSA being a gender neutral utopia, thats not really for you to say. On top of that I believe the faces reflect alot of the people who paid the higher price for the game, and not alot of them are women. So apparently your utopia doesnt include too many women playing BARIS :P

'The Soviets did not have black or Asian scientists not because of some hostile Soviet policy but because these races did not live in the USSR. There could be some in NASA, although they would be few in the 1960s. GSA as a utopia could have scientists of all races.
Different photos for different nations in the future versions? Or maybe modding instructions for personalising the characters with instructions how to match a photo with a character? ' - True, true.

'Photos and age. A young scientist, age 25, with a look of a 50 year old. For this game I would need photos of people "age 25 to 45" because in 20 years of the gaming time people do age but not beyond recognition, so the same photo must be ok for the whole period. I do not think the game engine allows "aging of characters" like in Rome Total War, with changes in the photos. ' - Another good comment, the pictures really are a distraction from the game.

< Message edited by deadmeat1471 -- 5/28/2015 9:10:55 AM >

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 2
RE: Names and photos - the new system - 5/28/2015 11:31:57 AM   
AngrySwan

I am talking only about the generic photos and name lists for characters that do not have their own photos. There you really have a gender balanced GSA in the first two versions and male dominance in NASA and the USSR. This difference disappears after version 1.10.
No problem with people wishing to pay the price for having their photos in the game, that is a different theme altogether.

It is possible to play the newer versions with older name lists and silhouettes but then everyone gets the same silhouette.
I have a reverse engineered version for playing the historical agencies, v.1.50 with the name lists from v.1.10 and silhouettes.

(in reply to shaunchattey)
Post #: 3
RE: Names and photos - the new system - 5/28/2015 2:34:05 PM   
AngrySwan

Having real players in the utopia is a relatively easy task. Take the early GSA name list and replace the first xx fictional names with real ones. Should also work for NASA and even for the USSR as long as the fictional characters need to be Soviet. Imagining your real selves in the game adds fun and interest but the the gaming environment needs to be historically correct.

So what we need is a Russian name list for the Soviet characters - it already exists in the earlier versions - and Soviet faces for the computer generated characters.

< Message edited by Marechal -- 5/28/2015 3:35:02 PM >

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 4
RE: Names and photos - the new system - 5/30/2015 8:33:15 PM   
czert2

marechal, all you writed is true, i hope that devs will fix it in future patches. this game have great potential it just need to be growed :).

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 5
RE: Names and photos - the new system - 6/1/2015 7:24:37 AM   
stilicho410

I won't dispute that the faces currently on display do not really reflect 1955-1975 demographics for the US/USSR in these fields.

However, given that the pictures are of people who paid the premium price to support development, it would be unfair to yank those pictures now. (And I say this as a cheapskate, my picture is not in there.)

As a play aid, I find the pictures valuable. In any game, it helps me to associate faces with skills. I just have to glance at the face to pick out my valuable Flight Directors and most experience Astronauts, for example.

Thanks,
Stilicho

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 6
RE: Names and photos - the new system - 6/3/2015 6:34:45 PM   
AngrySwan

There is no need to remove anything, these pictures are ok for NASA, GSA and you can also fit them into the USSR with a little bit of creative thinking. These people's parents fought in the Spanish international brigades against Franco, moved to the USSR after Franco's victory and their children studied engineering or became fighter pilots. For the Soviet campaign of BASP it is a perfect explanation.

What we need is a Russian name list for the rest of Soviet characters with generic photos. This name list exists in early versions so this is a simple copy-paste job. I do not know if someone feels like making some more photos for the generic photos group.

(in reply to stilicho410)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> Names and photos - the new system Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI