Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

any way to make the text easier to read?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> any way to make the text easier to read? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
any way to make the text easier to read? - 5/31/2015 12:52:07 AM   
GeneralJah

Hello new to distant worlds and having a really hard time reading the text. It is a combination of a few things, hoping there is some way to improve it out there I might not know about

1) The text size itself is really small
2) The background doesn't provide good contrast much of the time to read it
3) The font selected is not really ideal for reading

Is there anyway to change this? I cannot imagine I would be the first person to think this since so much of the game is reading text

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 5/31/2015 8:19:58 AM   
Bingeling

Not the first at all.

You can try Spidey's solution in this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3869801

And you can expand the selection panel (lower left one).

(in reply to GeneralJah)
Post #: 2
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 5/31/2015 10:41:38 PM   
MemoryLeak

My question is similar but a different look.

I am working my way thru the tutorial and it is just about impossible to make out the characters in the text.
Each letter is a mixture of black and white against the black background. It is a real struggle.
The messages are the same way.

But the text in the Glaecepodia(?) is perfect.

It is not the text size that is messed up but the text display.

Any ideas?

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 6/1/2015 1:41:20 PM   
mordachai

They have some sort of bugs with the pop-up text afaict - where maybe it's being scaled after being produced? Not sure why - but the text there is always blurry, whereas its generally pretty good elsewhere (assuming your monitor doesn't have a crazy-high dot-pitch). I don't know why - but there must be a bug in their code which causes the generated text to become blurry in that instance - again, I assume that they're inadvertently scaling the finished image and that creates a blurry mess.

Many have complained - and apparently it is better than it used to be. But unless they fix the underlying issue... I guess you'll just get used to it. I know I did - I don't really notice it anymore (though I thought I would get migraines initially)

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 4
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 6/2/2015 2:20:39 AM   
MemoryLeak

Thanks for the reply. I am using 1680x1050. I changed it to 1600x900 after reading this forum. It made a very
slight improvement but in order to read the text, except for the encyclopedia, I literally have to put my face
about two inches from the screen EVERY time I have to read something. Which of course is every 3 seconds in
this game. So that of course is a deal-breaker.

It is hard to describe the text. Each character is discernable but each one is a mixture of black and whit with no set
pattern. Or black and whatever color the text is suppose to be. It is like camouflage paint.

I have a standard monitor, nothing special. I do have a gaming pc with a NVIDIA GeFORCE 970 GTX card in it.

But I have never had a problem like this before with any game and I have hundreds of them.

So this will be another Matrix game that gets deleted. Luckily I don't give a damn about the money. I bought a game
from them a few months ago that didn't even have a game manual. I deleted that one too.

< Message edited by MemoryLeak -- 6/2/2015 3:21:00 AM >

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 5
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 6/2/2015 2:37:08 PM   
Spidey

You should not use 1600x900 with a 16:10 aspect monitor. Try with 1440x900 instead. There's no guarantee the result will be good but it ought to work a lot better, being a 16:10 aspect resolution.

However, usually the text is white with grey anti-aliasing on a black background. If all you're seeing is black and white then it sounds like you've pushed your contrast (or some other color setting) over the top. To check this, first investigate your Nvidia control panal's color settings and after that check your monitor's settings.

If you feel that the game is a bit too dark then a better approach than aggressive brightness / contrast settings might be a slight adjustment to the gamma setting in Nvidia control panel. Personally I push my gamma from .90 to 1.25 while playing and then reduce to .90 when I'm done.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 6
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 6/2/2015 5:45:29 PM   
MemoryLeak

I will try your suggestion.

I am not explaining this very well. I will try again.

The characters are sharp. They are in focus.
The background is black, as it should be.
But each individual character is intermittently white and gray, no set pattern. So , for instance, the letter S.
The tip of it might be white, then a little gray stretch will follow , then white again and ending in gray.
And this is just a description of one letter. They are all like that. It makes you crazy.

I took a screen shot of it. I will try to attach it. I don't know if that is possible. And the example I am
attaching is after using the 1600x900 setting, which is better than the stock setting.

Attachment (1)

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 7
RE: any way to make the text easier to read? - 6/5/2015 1:43:16 PM   
RichM

Part of the problem is that font has almost no spacing between letters. The empire name in the above example looks like 'Sayblulm Industnes'.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> any way to make the text easier to read? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI