Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is non-solo play fixed yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Is non-solo play fixed yet? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 12:08:34 PM   
Lingering Frey

Hi all,

Is internet play now stable? I'm willing to play with the occasional supply bug or something, but are there still bugs causing the game to seize or crash?

I went through the monthly reports already, but it hasn't really helped me. My friend and I bought the game 18 months ago when it came out since it had internet play enabled. We found it entirely impossible to play due to endless game-breaking crashes. We tried for about a week (went through set-up fine multiple times only to seize and fatally crash each time on the first turn), but haven't tried to play the game since. Is anyone willing to give me an update on the bug-free condition of internet play?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 3:52:46 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Hi all,

Is internet play now stable? I'm willing to play with the occasional supply bug or something, but are there still bugs causing the game to seize or crash?

I went through the monthly reports already, but it hasn't really helped me. My friend and I bought the game 18 months ago when it came out since it had internet play enabled. We found it entirely impossible to play due to endless game-breaking crashes. We tried for about a week (went through set-up fine multiple times only to seize and fatally crash each time on the first turn), but haven't tried to play the game since. Is anyone willing to give me an update on the bug-free condition of internet play?

Thanks!

Hi Lingering Frey, I will give you an update as it seems that Matrix will not because they cannot. Netplay is stuck pure and simple, it is in bad shape and has not been tested with some passion for a while I would say even more but I want you to be able to sleep tonight without having nightmares.

Bo

(in reply to Lingering Frey)
Post #: 2
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 6:43:07 PM   
paulderynck

I cannot agree with Bo on this. I've been playtesting beta NetPlay, Barbarossa scenario with one of the other playtesters for quite some time.

Lately the developer has been fixing bugs with Solitaire that would also be bugs in NetPlay. That has taken a lot of focus off NetPlay, but compared to release, a huge amount of progress has been made. There are definitely still issues with the naval portion of the game, but they have minimal effect on Barbarossa.

Also if you considered the bug list upon release versus now, the number of bug fixes has been prodigious.

I'm also involved in a multiplayer game using public version 1.3.3, Hot Seat mode and Teamviewer. We are in Nov/Dec 41.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 6/2/2015 7:44:06 PM >

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 3
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 7:16:37 PM   
gravyhair

next beta ETA ... ?

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 4
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 7:34:04 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I cannot agree with Bo on this. I've been playtesting beta NetPlay, Barbarossa scenario with one of the other playtesters for quite some time.

Lately the developer has been fixing bugs with Solitaire that would also be bugs in NetPlay. That has taken a lot of focus off NetPlay, but compared to release, a huge amount of progress has been made. There are definitely still issues with the naval portion of the game, but they have minimal effect on Barbarossa.

Also if you considered the bug list upon release versus now, the number of bug fixes has been prodigious.

I'm also involved in a multiplayer game using public version 1.3.3, Hot Seat mode and Teamviewer. We are in Nov/Dec 41.

Actually the question was is the internet play now stable? This is why I asked could we open the beta testing for all posters and let them be the judge of where we are and see if the players think it is stable or even improving.

You happen to forget paul I see every comment on the so called netplay beta testing, and the comments have not been positive. And forget teamviewer as I am talking about MWIF the game as sold by Matrix not an outside entity like teamviewer that circumvents the actual game.

You seem to be enjoying MWIF through teamviewer and that is a good thing, for you, but most of us other players do not seem to be enjoying any form of net play.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 6/2/2015 9:18:58 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 8:15:14 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyhair

next beta ETA ... ?

I am a beta tester or was and have not one shred of knowledge when that will be, sad situation.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 6/2/2015 9:15:38 PM >

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 6
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 8:42:58 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyhair

next beta ETA ... ?

If we don't find regression bugs, soon... But note the "if".

Peter

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 7
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 9:16:51 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

Actually the question was is the internet play now stable? This is why I asked could we open the beta testing for all posters and let them be the judge of where we are and see if the players think it is stable or even improving.

You happen to forget paul I see every comment on the so called netplay beta testing, and the comments have not been positive. And forget teamviewer as I am talking about MWIF the game as sold by Matrix not an outside entity like teamviewer that circumvents the actual game.

You seem to be enjoying MWIF through teamviewer and that is a good thing, for you, but most of us other players do not seem to be enjoying any form of net play.

Bo

Beta testing is already open to all players willing to install the public beta. If people want to do some beta testing of Netplay Barbarossa, more power to them. If they don't - that's fine too.

Gee, where in the world would the negativity on the beta side be coming from, Bo?

Teamviewer does not circumvent the game, it facilitates the game.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 6/2/2015 10:19:12 PM >

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 8
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/2/2015 9:50:36 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Beta testing is already open to all players willing to install the public beta. If people want to do some beta testing of Netplay Barbarossa, more power to them. If they don't - that's fine too.

Gee, where in the world would the negativity on the beta side be coming from, Bo?

Teamviewer does not circumvent the game, it facilitates the game.

1- I did not know that they the general public could actually test netplay Barbarossa with Steve's every so often fixes so I stand corrected.

2- The beta testing negativity is coming from me loud and clear without malice or prejudice, I was watching very closely comments from you and bommerrang about how Barbarossa was doing lately and it did not seem to be going well. Remember my comment "OUCH"

3- I truly know nothing about teamviewer paul, but this I know it is not part and parcel of Matrix's MWIF.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 6/2/2015 10:55:14 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 1:21:01 AM   
juntoalmar

I am currently playing with TeamViewer, and it works pretty well for me. I don't think I will ever play through Netplay, even if it was finished soon.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 10
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 2:18:39 PM   
Cataphract88

What the hell is 'Teamviewer' anyway?

Richard

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 11
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 2:46:54 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

That's a program which allows another computer to access your computer. Only recommendable if you trust the people you are playing against.

Peter

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 12
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 4:46:54 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

I am currently playing with TeamViewer, and it works pretty well for me. I don't think I will ever play through Netplay, even if it was finished soon.

I personally hope it works for anyone who wants to play the game that way, [teamviewer] but netplay is not working for the people who bought this game when they click on the word "Private WIF NetPlay Forum" on the opening screen. If I sound vindictive about netplay, sorry, but I am.

Stop this endeavor now because it is not working and may never work right. Get on to other programs for MWIF like optional rules and more important half maps, the elusive AI, of course when the solo bugs are fixed.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 6/3/2015 5:52:31 PM >

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 13
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 5:12:24 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Paul, you should do an AAR on your multi-player game!...or start an AAR on your next one...

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 14
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 5:47:42 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Paul, you should do an AAR on your multi-player game!...or start an AAR on your next one...

We started one (Ragnarok). Real Life interfered with keeping it up to date. About all I could do now is a high level summary of what's happened since it was last updated.

However, anyone who reads it will know the game is completely playable with Teamviewer with as many players (who will stay dedicated) as you want.

AARs are not everyone's cup of tea, I found to do it justice, it required a large time investment which RL would not let me maintain.

Paul

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 15
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 5:53:14 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

but netplay is not working for the people who bought this game when they click on the word "Private WIF NetPlay Forum" on the opening screen.

This is not really true. Yes there are MWiF bugs, especially with the naval part of the game. But the forum connection has worked flawlessly for us when we've been beta testing.

I would not like to propagate the impression that the NetPlay forum or server are at the root of any problems. Especially as there have been many posts here from people who initially had username and password problems for reasons unconnected with the workings of the NetPlay server or with MWiF.

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 16
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/3/2015 6:00:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

We should have two new beta versions out in the next two weeks, based on our current best estimate.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 17
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/4/2015 12:14:44 AM   
Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

That's a program which allows another computer to access your computer. Only recommendable if you trust the people you are playing against.

I see. Thanks for the info, Peter.

Richard

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 18
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/4/2015 12:19:57 AM   
Cataphract88

quote:

quote:

I personally hope it works for anyone who wants to play the game that way, [teamviewer] but netplay is not working for the people who bought this game when they click on the word "Private WIF NetPlay Forum" on the opening screen. If I sound vindictive about netplay, sorry, but I am.

Stop this endeavor now because it is not working and may never work right. Get on to other programs for MWIF like optional rules and more important half maps, the elusive AI, of course when the solo bugs are fixed.

Bo

Bo, I couldn't agree more.

Richard

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 19
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/4/2015 12:39:07 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Bo, I couldn't agree more.

Thanks cataphract but I must confess that I am not that fond of netplay and could care less if it is ever installed. I am an AI guy inside and out, so just maybe you have to take what I say with a grain of salt.

Bo

Post #: 20
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/4/2015 9:09:37 PM   
Cataphract88

Bo, I too favour AI, but I really want Netplay sorted out for all those that prefer playing that way. However, the most important thing is to first make a solid, bug-free solitaire mode from which to build from.

Richard

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 21
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/4/2015 11:11:02 PM   
bo

quote:

Bo, I too favour AI, but I really want Netplay sorted out for all those that prefer playing that way. However, the most important thing is to first make a solid, bug-free solitaire mode from which to build from.

Pssst! Careful what you say here Mr. cataphract88, it almost sounds like you are being sensible

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 6/5/2015 12:14:02 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/5/2015 8:05:19 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

quote:

but netplay is not working for the people who bought this game when they click on the word "Private WIF NetPlay Forum" on the opening screen.

This is not really true. Yes there are MWiF bugs, especially with the naval part of the game. But the forum connection has worked flawlessly for us when we've been beta testing.

I would not like to propagate the impression that the NetPlay forum or server are at the root of any problems. Especially as there have been many posts here from people who initially had username and password problems for reasons unconnected with the workings of the NetPlay server or with MWiF.

1 Then why people need to use Teamwiewer?
2 Then I can use my time in a game with hope it will not be lost? My time is valuable, and I will not be happy if I lose it miserably, having to abort a game after X turns which means Y hours of playing (or betatesting?).

Post #: 23
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/5/2015 3:27:26 PM   
paulderynck

Read the post again. I was talking about the NetPlay server - the platform on which you will connect and communicate once the NetPlay mode of MWiF had its bugs squished.

With Teamviewer you play in Solitaire or Hot Seat mode and we have encountered no game-stopping bugs playing that way (SO39 to JF42 so far).

As your time is valuable I don't advise you to play NetPlay Barbarossa, but anyone can.

Paul

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 24
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/8/2015 9:01:57 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

Read the post again. I was talking about the NetPlay server - the platform on which you will connect and communicate once the NetPlay mode of MWiF had its bugs squished.

With Teamviewer you play in Solitaire or Hot Seat mode and we have encountered no game-stopping bugs playing that way (SO39 to JF42 so far).

As your time is valuable I don't advise you to play NetPlay Barbarossa, but anyone can.

So the NetPlay server has nothing to do with NetPlay mode? One would think one is no use without another...

And at the end of the day, you still need top use Teamviewer because Net Play is not working, Did I get it right?

My time is valuable, I use it to enjoy, but I don't want to betatest. You seem to mean that Barbarossa can be played in Netplay (at least reasonably) without bugs, did I get it right this time too?

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 6/8/2015 10:03:56 AM >

Post #: 25
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/8/2015 5:38:46 PM   
Centuur

The problem with Netplay is really, that it hasn't been "attacked" by a lot of players. So I expect that there will be bugs in it, that haven't been found yet.

It's the same as with the game itself. After release, the number of bugs found in solitair/hot seat exploded, because there are so many different optional rules in the game and so many possibilities in it. Players started trying all kinds of things we never thought about.
I expect the same thing happening where Netplay is concerned after it really gets pounded on.

The problems with the Netplay server are fixed, but as with the rest of the game, there are still unfixed bugs in Netplay.

Peter

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 26
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/8/2015 9:17:57 PM   
gw15

Joseignacio,
Please try the Barb netplay and let us know how far you get. Don't use naval moves or naval battles but try the others. You might get further than you think.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 27
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 3:30:13 AM   
juntoalmar

As I explained in other threads, I have played with TeamViewer and Google Talk, and works fine enough. Have you ever tried that?

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 28
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 5:10:26 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

quote:

So the NetPlay server has nothing to do with NetPlay mode? One would think one is no use without another...

It is used for other games besides MWiF.

quote:

And at the end of the day, you still need top use Teamviewer because Net Play is not working, Did I get it right?

NetPlay still has bugs, yes. It also has a lot of corrected bugs. The Barb scenario is playable for air and land activities, although it's possible you could hit a bug the betatesters haven't hit. We still test when NetPlay fixes are provided. No warranty is given that you won't come across some situation we didn't and find a problem.

quote:

My time is valuable, I use it to enjoy, but I don't want to betatest. You seem to mean that Barbarossa can be played in Netplay (at least reasonably) without bugs, did I get it right this time too?

see above

And finally, if you really wanted to play, you could play Hot Seat using Teamviewer with as many other players as you'd like. I'm in a game using Teamviewer running on an Amazon EC2 occurrence so no ones personal PC is getting controlled. We all take turns controlling MWiF running on the virtual server. There's other choices too, such as using an old laptop or desktop to host the game and putting it in a DMZ aside from your home router, etc.

Anyway, our game is running version 1.3.3 of MWiF and we are in JF42 with all the excitement of Japanese surprise port strikes on both Pearl Harbor and San Francisco having just occurred. We have encountered no serious bugs. Most often lately what initially appears to be a bug has been a misunderstanding of a rule or a supply issue where the game shows a unit in or out of supply after weather is determined. But by the time movement steps start, supply is shown correctly.

Yes there are as yet uncoded options and FREX you can't yet move a unit through a port and pick up cargo and there are other deviations from the RAW. We've accepted those and we're enjoying playing.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 6/9/2015 6:59:34 AM >

Paul

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 29
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 10:20:26 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

Joseignacio,
Please try the Barb netplay and let us know how far you get. Don't use naval moves or naval battles but try the others. You might get further than you think.

Ok, I'll take the effort to start another game without guarantees that I will not have to abort it after X turns because of bugs. I suppose it's by time to give another try.

In Barbarossa, however, always that the time is not good for anything else, as a URSS player I always try to sink or abort the GE convoys. t seems I will not be able to.

Juntoalmar, I tried with Google Hangouts and I didn't like it. Teamviewer lets somebody else take control of your computer, and we are all unknown to each other.

Concretely this, that was written by Paulderynck, I don't know even what it means, it would sound good unless it's complicated...

quote:

. I'm in a game using Teamviewer running on an Amazon EC2 occurrence so no ones personal PC is getting controlled.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 6/9/2015 12:20:04 PM >

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Is non-solo play fixed yet? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI