Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley - 6/4/2015 12:02:33 AM   
AbwehrX

"In this war without a front, body count will become a measure of success."

Battle of Ia Drang Valley- 1965
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPeHqH4XxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-qZv2H1pE

quote:

The Battle of Ia Drang was the first major battle between regulars of the United States Army and regulars of the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN / NVA) of North Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The two-part battle took place between November 14 and November 18, 1965, at two landing zones (LZs) northwest of Plei Me in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam (approximately 35 miles south-west of Pleiku) as part of the U.S. airmobile offensive codenamed Operation Silver Bayonet. The battle derives its name from the Drang River which runs through the valley northwest of Plei Me, in which the engagement took place. Ia means "river" in the local Montagnard language.
Representing the American forces were elements of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division: the 1st Battalion and 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment, and the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army, facing elements of the B3 Front of the PAVN (including the 304 Division) and Viet Cong. The battle involved close air support by U.S. aircraft and a strategic bombing strike by the B-52s. The initial Vietnamese assault against the landing 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry at LZ X-Ray was repulsed after two days and nights of heavy fighting on November 14–16. However, the follow-up surprise attack on November 17 that overran the marching column of 7th Cavalry 2nd Battalion near the LZ Albany was the deadliest ambush of a U.S. unit during the course of the entire war. About half of some 300 American deaths in the 35-day Operation Silver Bayonet happened in just this one fight that lasted 16 hours.[3]
The battle was documented in the CBS special report Battle of Ia Drang Valley by Morley Safer and the critically acclaimed book We Were Soldiers Once.

Post #: 1
RE: VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley - 6/4/2015 11:46:23 AM   
british exil

The film "We Were Soldiers Once" with Mel Gibson showed the battle at LZ X-Ray, the Americans being nearly overrun and the letters/telegrams of the deaths being brought home to the wives.
The Film did leave out the ambush which occurred afterwards, which was where horrific losses amounted. Reading the book just brings out how brutal the ambush was.
I felt the film did show the horrors of combat in Vietnam, especially when the air force came into help.

The book is really well worth reading.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 2
RE: VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley - 6/4/2015 5:27:08 PM   
wings7

Very well done! Thanks for the links!

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 3
RE: VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley - 6/4/2015 6:22:39 PM   
Josh

Thanks for the link Abwehr, although "thanks" might not be the proper word here as I find it always sobering, hairraising even maybe, to see footage of that brutal battle.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 4
RE: VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley - 6/4/2015 7:16:19 PM   
bayonetbrant

you really oughta look up "Rick Rescorla" - he's the guy on the cover of the original printing of "We Were Soldiers" - and read that guy's life story.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley - 6/5/2015 8:52:57 PM   
histgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

The film "We Were Soldiers Once" with Mel Gibson showed the battle at LZ X-Ray, the Americans being nearly overrun and the letters/telegrams of the deaths being brought home to the wives.
The Film did leave out the ambush which occurred afterwards, which was where horrific losses amounted. Reading the book just brings out how brutal the ambush was.
I felt the film did show the horrors of combat in Vietnam, especially when the air force came into help.

The book is really well worth reading.

Mat

The film did leave out the ambush you're right but the ambush also occurred to another Battalion's not Moore's. Moore and his men were pulled out via helicopter.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> VIETNAM - Battle of Ia Drang Valley Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI